• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Glad I'm not the only one with the problem. Going to take it back to Best Buy tomorrow and try my luck after they restock.
I'm gonna try calling Nintendo on Monday and seeing what they say. Pretty unfortunate that we may have gotten busted Switches. I thought it was unnaturally loud even in sleep mode. Turned it off to make sure it wouldn't burn out or something overnight.

Wondering if it's something that can be fixed with a patch. I doubt it. Figure there'd be more hubbub around it if it was this loud for everyone.

Coda

I had a brain cramp followed by a bit of a freak-out moment tonight. I had taken the Joy-Cons off of the system and was putting on the strap attachments when I accidentally put one on upside down. It took a good five minutes of firm but careful pulling to get it to come off. But then after we were done playing, I went to take them off and was taken aback at how difficult they seemed to be to get off; I was pushing the release button on the Joy-Con and no the locks weren't engaged.

Are mine just finicky? Anyone else had any issues with them?

Aside from that, I'm very happy with the system in general. Very sleek, feels solid and weighty, the Joy-Con have a good feel, nice responsive buttons.

I did the same thing tonight, I couldn't get the damn thing off for 10 minutes. I started to try and pry mine off but was becoming really scary so I ended up trying pulling it in a way and finally got it off. At this point that accessory seems like more or an annoyance to bring with you and have other people maybe put it on the wrong way.

It's a design flaw I wish Nintendo thought through but overall it's my only major gripe with it so far. Otherwise I love the hardware.

Added you guys, I needed some friends badly :') (name that will show up is genome)
Feel free to add my code to anyone interested!
SW-0803-6684-2700
Thanks for the add. I also need some GAF buds!

After my first night with the Switch. I can honestly say I am happy with my purchase. Only issues are not able to use my amp so I can use my headphones, and lack of apps. I am certain Nintendo will allow apps down the road so I ain't too worried. My brother also bought the Switch and he came by. We played Zelda along side each other and it was an amazing experience. One of the great things about this Zelda is how open and non linear it is. So even though we were both playing simultaneously, we both did things very different. Thank you Nintendo for delivering.

Pokemaniac

So, rather bizarrely, the Switch was able to get my Mii from an amiibo when my New 3DS wrote it, but not when my Wii U did. I'm not sure what to make of that aside from the fact that it probably isn't a hardware defect (of the Switch).

Recreat3

Has anyones dock stopped working. Mine doesnt seem to be powering up. No green light on it and when my switch is docked the screen is displaying as if it was not in dock mode. Do i have a faulty unit ahhhh

So it seems like the parental app tracks just the average of the day, not individial start/ends, specific times.

y3QuUpK.jpg

Hmm, after playing Zelda on the TV for a few hours, then leaving the Switch in the dock for several hours more, I'm only at 14% battery. This could be a problem.

styl3s

Loving Zelda, loving the Switch hybrid concept and hardware but...

Is it me or the OS sucks?

It lacks that Nintendo flavor and instead looks and feels like almost Android.
For now i am ok with it considering there are only like 10 games and no apps but when we start seeing 20,30,40+ games and apps if they come they need to do work but there just isn't anything really on it i like the clean quick look.

That being said i could already go for some fucking folder action.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can you not play with the Switch in portable mode and charge it at the same time with it plugged in to a socket via USB? It just keeps going down

Gleethor

I must have good luck, because my joycon work flawlessly from my couch and I've experience very few frame drops during my ~6 hours of Zelda docked.

Just got done playing some Fast in handheld mode and its mind blowing how big of an upgrade over 3DS this is graphically

16BitNova

Is there anyway to password protect Users on the Switch like PS4 and Xbox One? You know some quick 4 number pin type thing for when choosing a user or switching users? I have kids around here who like to mess around and im afraid for my Zelda saves when im not around. :/

Effect

Hmm, after playing Zelda on the TV for a few hours, then leaving the Switch in the dock for several hours more, I'm only at 14% battery. This could be a problem.

Assume you checked to make sure the plug is fully plugged into the dock? Tried connecting directly to the Switch as well?

bleaker

Well I've finally gotten some time with the console, and I really like it. Docking and undocking works quickly which is nice. The tablet screen is sharp as hell and playing it with Joyce's attached is really a pleasure.

What I have more trouble with is the kickstand. Placing it to the right might have been necessary to cover up the memory card, but placing it in the middle would have worked a lot better for me, plus the whole thing with the charging port being in the bottom, but you guys know all about that.

My main problem isn't a lack of games, that comes with every console launch and I'd say so far Zelda is the best launch game we've gotten in a very long time (even if its out on wii u). No my problem is the lack of apps. There is no damn reason why I shouldn't be watching Netflix or Hulu, or even browsing the internet. Yes I have a lot of other devices that can do this, and no its not an excuse for Nintendo to not have this functionality on launch.

Still, the console itself works great, and I'm excited to see what Nintendo has in store.

I cannot for the love of me figure out how to connect my switch to my TV. How does the dock work? The charger is connected, HDMI is as well, I think I'm putting the Switch in normally, but I'm getting nothing. There was something about TV settings during the initial set up but I skipped that for handheld and now can't find the option in settings.

I cannot for the love of me figure out how to connect my switch to my TV. How does the dock work? The charger is connected, HDMI is as well, I think I'm putting the Switch in normally, but I'm getting nothing. There was something about TV settings during the initial set up but I skipped that for handheld and now can't find the option in settings.

I skipped those settings as well but mine just worked when I plugged it into the dock.

deejay

Let me try and ask this here:

Not sure if this has been asked (and answered) before but is the Switch supposed to sit so wobbly in its dock? Or should it be stuck firmly?

How do I charge the joycons?

I have them attached the tablet and docked, but do I leave on the console to charge it? I really don't want to. Can it charge them in sleep mode or standby? What's recommended?

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused with how user accounts work on the switch and wondered if anyone can help me out lol
The user account system seems a complete & utter mess, but just wondered if I'm doing something wrong?

So when I set my account up on the switch for the first time, it wanted me to enter a username up to 10 digits long. I thought it would give you the option to just sign into your Nintendo account and get the info straight from there, like PSN or Xbox Live but nope!
So I enter a name, my regular one "Spoonablehippo" is too long, so just pick my old "Watcher27" name.
Then it wants me to link that to my Nintendo account, which I know is "Spoonablehippo", like on my Wii U
So log into my Nintendo account and it links to it.
But now I seem to have 3 bloody usernames on the account?! If I log into my Nintendo account from a web browser, it has my "Nickname" as John (my real name, hello!), it shows my "User ID" as Spoonablehippo (from Wii U), and now on my f***ing Switch I'm Watcher27!!!!

What is going on?

I also wanted to add a profile for my son to use, so have added a user on the Switch, and his name appears at the top, but how do I switch users like I used to on Wii U, PSN or Xbox?
If I click on his profile it just shows his page? But I want to log in so he doesn't use my Zelda save etc??

Please help

Made the mistake of playing docked after Nioh and Horizon.

Yep, think this is gonna be a handheld console for me (and the best one I've ever had by a million).

Oh, and why did it take Nintendo this long to figure out loot games = OCD fun times. Zelda is back, baby!

dock

There is no damn reason why I shouldn't be watching Netflix or Hulu, or even browsing the internet. Yes I have a lot of other devices that can do this, and no its not an excuse for Nintendo to not have this functionality on launch.
I think Nintendo are very sensitive to Switch EVER being referred to as 'a tablet', as this puts them in competition with Amazon Fire, etc.

Also, that battery! It's weak enough already. Hundreds of hours of Netflix are not going to do it any favours.

I agree that users should be free to use Switch however they like, but moreso than ever Nintendo is walking a knife's edge with public perception.

Assume you checked to make sure the plug is fully plugged into the dock? Tried connecting directly to the Switch as well?

I had it plugged in directly to the wall since that post, and it was still at 14%, with the charging icon appearing. I tried plugging it into my computer's USB-C port, and Windows kept making the "USB device disconnected" sound about once per second.

Added.

And feel free to add me, Switch GAF: 7799-7019-5581

Added you both! If anyone wants more Switch friends feel free to add me too! SW-8449-0471-5410

Today felt like forever first waiting for the UPS truck to not show up before I went to work and then getting the text it arrived about 15 minutes after I got there. Finally home and downloading Zelda. Haven't had any major issues with the Switch to speak of yet! I'm just so ready for this download to finish so that I can dive into Hyrule!

Amiibro

I know there is a physical "I Am Setsuna" with English language on Japanese sites that can be imported.

I am suprised to see the English version in a local game store, yes it has the English cover with all English text. Did I miss out something because I thought the English version was only available in digital.

What?!?! Where can I buy this from

Haines

Banned
The most shocking thing for me.

How amazing the.pro controller is.

I completely forget I'm even using it.

Nintendo still has it in them. I swear this thing is the best controller yet.

Deadstar

Anyone hearing a buzz when using headphones? I only tested ipod headphones but there is a constant annoying buzzing sound. I will have to try better headphones tomorrow.

Painguy

GAF im gonna fail all my classes. Halp!!! To play or not to play?!?!?!? P.S. no issue with joycons. I tried putting it behind me, covered it up with my hands, and went to another room. Switch is also dead quite. It's as if it doesn't have a fan

sneas78

Banned
Anyone else experiencing some problems with your switch? Mine for example doesn't dock correctly .. like I have to pull it out in back in a few times before it charges and connects to the tv.. also while playing Zelda docked .. it got super hot .. so I shut it off .. was only playing docked for about 1hr 20min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom