• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppyseed

Anyone else's right joyCon is creaking a bit when attached to the console in handheld mode? The lower right can be "moved" a little.

Yep mine is the same. Definitely creaking on the lower right side (right JoyCon). It's a bit annoying, but if they're all like that then I won't take further steps. It does make little creaking/snapping sounds as I play games, which is the only bummer.

You can also see that lower side of the right JoyCon flexes waaaay more than the left side.

Anyone else want to chime in here?

AGoodODST

My main issues that I have run across so far; I hope they fix the 720p menu when docked and increase the quality of captures.

Other than that I love this thing. Felt so good playing a bit of Zelda this morning before heading out, undocking and shoving in my bag then carrying on where I left off on the train.

I hope Nintendo gives us some proper themes soon. That BOTW art work of Link on the cliff pls.

Yep mine is the same. Definitely creaking on the lower right side (right JoyCon). It's a bit annoying, but if they're all like that then I won't take further steps. It does make little creaking/snapping sounds as I play games, which is the only bummer.

You can also see that lower side of the right JoyCon flexes waaaay more than the left side.

Have you definitely pushed it right the way down? They go down a bit further after the initial click.

Moose84

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but can people confirm if there's somewhere that tells you how long you've played a game? What works best the parental controls app, or the profile page?

Mechazawa

I am so glad I got the Pro controller. Spent a couple of hours with the joycons in portable mode and the right analog stick on the joycon is incredibly awkward to use. The travel distance on the sticks in general are also really short. The ergonomics of them aren't great either, although the grip definitely helps in that regard.

Meanwhile, the Pro controller has maybe the best feeling analog sticks on any pad I've ever used, and it's just one of the best controllers I've ever held in general. Such a massive disparity in comfort.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone know the power consumption of the Switch when docked and in sleep mode? I know it's pretty economical when in sleep mode on battery power.

Just wondering if it's reasonable to leave it "on" all the time if it doesn't use much energy (I'd never do that with my xbone though).

Does the pro controller have an internal battery or it using regular AAs?
It has an internal battery, and comes with a USB charging cable.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wasnt planning on getting one, but a buddy hooked up me up earlier today.

Surprised how nice the screen looks. Also the Joycons feels amazing :0

jonno394

Hmm, slightly concerned that "account activity" on my Nintendo website no longer shows any of my purchases (3ds/wii u/Switch).

Looking at eshop on Switch there's no one stop shop to see everything youve bough either, go to your download list and it's empty (i assume it only populates when you delete a game and it is the a "re-download"?)

Mrbob

Haven't checked the WiiU virtual console in awhile, took a peak tonight, some great stuff on there now. Nintendo needs to get these games on Switch. Losing money. No way I'm buying these games on WiiU of there is a chance I have to pay again to play them in Switch.

level1

Anyone else having the problem where the left joycon doesn't automatically sync up when powering on the console? It's going to get pretty annoying if I have to slide it off an sync it manually every time

Poppyseed

My main issues that I have run across so far; I hope they fix the 720p menu when docked and increase the quality of captures.

Other than that I love this thing. Felt so good playing a bit of Zelda this morning before heading out, undocking and shoving in my bag then carrying on where I left off on the train.

I hope Nintendo gives us some proper themes soon. That BOTW art work of Link on the cliff pls.

Have you definitely pushed it right the way down? They go down a bit further after the initial click.

Yep I'm sure. I'm going to exchange mine I think. It's just annoying me with all the creaking. Oh well. Back to waiting till Best Buy gets more stock I guess.

Plasmid

Just got done with a 3 hour BoTW Session.

Airplane mode on, brightness set to off and lowest settings, plugged into my PC, i was able to do 94-39% before deciding to charge it since i'll be going out in a few hours.

The handheld runs so damn smooth, i can't believe i bitched about 30 FPS in the pre-release threads because it's really not noticeable. There are drops in heavy grassed areas with long distances but i doubt it's been lower than 24 fps.

I would not be surprised if the 3ds stops production within 2 years. If we can replace a battery in the switch with a 5-6 hour battery it'll change how nintendo does mobile.

I love it, it's such a neat little console. I never knew how bad i needed console games to be mobile (aka a bigger better 3ds).

Do we have any timeframes on the e-shop opening up, it's damn bare at the moment. As a poster above said, i'm ready for some themes.

So are your Switches heating up with Zelda? Mine is.
(Docked)

Yes, i think it's because playing at the same time as charging causes it to heat up. It was heating up when i had a charger connected & running as well. Nothing close to "hot" but definitely warm.

Aspiring

Anyone else having the problem where the left joycon doesn't automatically sync up when powering on the console? It's going to get pretty annoying if I have to slide it off an sync it manually every time

When I press home button to turn on console while docked my left joycon doesnt turn on and I have to click a button. That is annoying i guess.

This wouldn't be that bad if not for the fact that there's STILL no cart system for the store. You have to buy each thing individually and pay for it one at a time. Really nonsensical.

Everything about paying for things in the store is awful. Why can't I just have a card linked to my account instead of purchasing $100 (or whatever amount) at a time?

weekev

Banned
This wouldn't be that bad if not for the fact that there's STILL no cart system for the store. You have to buy each thing individually and pay for it one at a time. Really nonsensical.
Yeah there's a few things they need to sort with the OS. Back to folder begging for a bit too although I dare say Nintendo is on it. My initial impressions are positive though. Really clean, high quality feel to everything. Once the games start flowing this thing is gonna be beastlike.

empyrean

Quick question regarding 'My Nintendo' points. I found out that if i press the options button when highlighting zelda on the home screen i can register it with my nintendo and claim the points or coins or whatever they are now, which is cool... anyway to register the console itself and get points?

ToVenusAndBack_

Neo Member
Quick question regarding 'My Nintendo' points. I found out that if i press the options button when highlighting zelda on the home screen i can register it with my nintendo and claim the points or coins or whatever they are now, which is cool... anyway to register the console itself and get points?
I was going to ask this too

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I wish Nintendo would've made it clear... somewhere that you can turn the system off completely. Not even in the small instruction booklet you get. Read it first here, then did a search on support.nintendo and it's one of the only FAQ's right now. It's obvious that Nintendo only wants you to use the sleep mode - and I love how games stay suspended -, but say you take the thing on the go it's good to know you can turn it off entirely.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, a question:

My power cable is way too short for my setup, can I just buy any USB-C to USB cable and put it into a regular USB phone power brick to power the thing? Do I need anything very specific?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For people with pro controllers: do the analog sticks click for you when you move them from neutral?

I hear a faint noise coming from every stick. Found an article that describes this:

"The control sticks make a subtle clicking noise whenever you move them outside of their deadzone that I would compare to rupturing bubble wrap."

It's quieter than that, but there's definitely a pop

The pro controller might be my new favourite controller. Its really comfortable and I love the button layout. The only thing missing are analog triggers, but I can live without those.
Battery life seems to be really good as well, as has been reported.

Honestly, I'm really happy with my Switch so far. Haven't had any Joy-Con issues and I already have five games and there are quite a few more upcoming ones that I'm looking forward to. Mario Kart 8, Arms, Splatoon 2, Disgaea 5, etc and indies like Blaster Master Zero, Snake Pass and Hawaii Shakedown are all going to be day one purchases on the Switch for me.
My only slight issue is with how short the power cable is.. I had to move some stuff around in order to get the dock close enough to a power socket.

Also, I think this might be the first time I'm getting a screen protector. Never used one and I've never had any scratches on any of my devices, but I don't want to take the risk..

Also also, playing BOTW handheld while laying down in bed is magical.

Maximus.

I wonder if it matters if we dock it after playing handheld mode for a little bit, where there is still considerable battery life left. I don't want to screw up the battery. I know a lot of new devices have smart cycle counts for the battery, wonder if it is the same for the switch.

_Clash_

My left joycon attached to the switch wiggles slightly the right one doesn't wiggle at all.

It's slightly annoying

I'm not letting it bother me but I am aware that the bottom left of my device is ever so slightly less rigid than the other side. It's really marginal in mine, but I know it's been reported that corner is looser.

Besides that I think mine is pretty solid sceen,joycon,battery and scratch wise thankfully

Lurch666

Quick search of this thread shows a few people are having a bit of a problem getting their kickstands out.
Mine is loose.When holding it it feels like the kickstand is flapping under my fingers and not properly locked in place.
Anyone else?

mrback

Guys, a question:

My power cable is way too short for my setup, can I just buy any USB-C to USB cable and put it into a regular USB phone power brick to power the thing? Do I need anything very specific?

Would like to know this too, can you use the cable that comes with the pro controller with an apple usb plug say?

ekim

I looked at it again and it seems it's not an issue with the joy con but the tablet. The rail where you pop it in has more air between the left and right part of it than the rail for the left joy con. Don't know if this is causing it tho but it would make sense.

And yes I clicked it all the way down.

rdytoroll

I don't have a Switch yet, but could I put the dock behind where I sit? I have some free space there, but I'm not sure if there would be joy con issues too, because I wouldnt point them towards the console itself. I'd need a long HDMI cable then

Update on whether or not I could hear the switch making noise while docked. I previously said I couldn't hear it so I tested it out again playing Zelda. Temperature inside was 28c. I could only hear it making very little noise when I was literally centermetres away from it. So it's pretty much silent from gaming distance.

Some size comparison

vl7iKIk.jpg

Jaagen

Twenty-four hour in, I'm impressed with the Switch package and I don't regret my purchase at all. I've gotten used to the small controllers, and while I'll probably get a Pro Controller at some point, I don't feel it's worth the expense for me now. Maybe when Splatoon arrives.

The most impressive aspect to me is how quick it startes up from sleep mode (and into the game) It's almost instant.

However, I feel that the kickstand, at least in it's current form, is pretty useless. Beeing a Surface Pro user, I would have loved Nintendo to just copy Microsofts setup, because at the moment, I don't trust the thing to be stable. At all.

DavidDesu

I thought it was odd Nintendo didn't just make the dock like a stand with the screen visible. Why tuck the screen away (behind plastic rails that can mark the screen!). It's simply more versatile keeping the screen visible, allows the dock to literally be another kickstand and could allow notifications and other things like that while docked. I know the small narrow screen space they've kept above the parapet can still be used like that but the whole screen would be be far more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom