• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the scratch thread devolving into flame wars;

What's the best/a good glass screen protector for Switch available in EU right now?

fantomena

The Switch is sold out in all Norwegian shops, both online and locally. :( Won't apaprently receive until at latest next thursday.

Gambit

It works just fine. Go to home menu and change the grip order in the controller settings to sideways joycons. Start any neo geo game and it will work with 2 players.

that's fantastic! Thank you!

Time for some NES-sytle action!

Letep

On the bottom of the screen, there seems to be some sort of sensor over toward the right of the left speaker. What is that?

Kudo

Not sure if this is good place to post this, but I've posted before that I'd buy Switch if it's region free and sure enough Nintendo did that so..

pTd6Vta.jpg

Hyped to start it tonight.
I bet nobody cares but this is also my first Nintendo console in decades, I've had access to them all but last one I bought for myself was Gamecube with region free disc.

Alienous

A day in I think what I most appreciate about the Switch is that it's a system built to play games. It's uncomplicated, it's streamlined, I can put a game in and just play. I never realized before now how much I missed that aspect of consoles, before they became entertainment hubs.

It's probably the best part of the experience. Well, the best part after Breath of the Wild at least.

Not sure if this is good place to post this, but I've posted before that I'd buy Switch if it's region free and sure enough Nintendo did that so..

I bet nobody cares but this is also my first Nintendo console in decades, I've had access to them all but last one I bought for myself was Gamecube with region free disc.

Enjoy, it's a great little console, especially as a handheld.

AGoodODST

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but holding the home button opens a wee quick menu for brightness, aeroplane mode etc.

deleted

that's fantastic! Thank you!

Time for some NES-sytle action!

Took a while for me to find that out too. It works fine with kof if you want a fast match, but hitting A B and C at the same time for combos is a problem with only joycons.

Anyone try any of the arcade archives? Metal Slug 3?

I bought kof98 - Works really well, plenty of options smooth gameplay. Apparently it's the same version thats also on PS4.

Ninja Dom

Very happy to report that my iPad charger + Anker Powerline+ 6ft USB-A -> USB-C cable combo is strong enough to charge the handheld while I'm playing Zelda!

This means I can leave my AC adaptor in the dock and keep this for my room. :)

Yes!!!

That's the Anker cable you recommended me. I bought that and I have an iPad charger!!!

Good stuff.

You don't need to change your console region setting for that.
Just create a Japanese account on the system next to your main account, log into the eshop with that one and you can browse and buy games from the Japanese store, then play them with either account on your system.

Niiiiice! Thanks for this bit of info!

I have a issue with my Switch.

I shut it down completely(not sleep) and left it in the dock where I plan to keep it as it will be used as a home console. Now the screen blinks every 2 seconds showing the battery is fully charged. Also I can see the HDMI connection go on and off on my TV at the same rate.

Is this normal behavior? Why? How are you meant to store the Switch when not in use?

I have a issue with my Switch.

I shut it down completely(not sleep) and left it in the dock where I plan to keep it as it will be used as a home console. Now the screen blinks every 2 seconds showing the battery is fully charged. Also I can see the HDMI connection go on and off on my TV at the same rate.

Is this normal behavior? Why? How are you meant to store the Switch when not in use?

That's not normal. See if you can hold down power to do a full reboot.

JoeNut

The stand is quite awkward to position under
My tv, although it's tiny you actually need double the height of a normal console to take it in an out. Has anyone tried laying it down?

meppi

It works just fine. Go to home menu and change the grip order in the controller settings to sideways joycons. Start any neo geo game and it will work with 2 players.

Ah, you have to set it on the system level?
I only checked in game.
That's indeed great news! :)

Niiiiice! Thanks for this bit of info!

No problem.

Be sure to download the demo (or full game ;) ) for Puyo Puyo Tetris, it's brilliant!

The demo butting is the one I highlighted in red.

TEJ

Buying the system soon. Heard the portable screen gets scratched easily, if true is a screen protector a wise investment?

GravyButt

Silly question. My wii u tablet broke last year and I never replaced it. So i have the wii u console, plus a bunch of wii motes n stuff. Is any of that useable on the switch, or have they said if it ever would be? Just wondering before I decide to sell them all off and get the switch for my daughter.

My kickstand doesn't stay put when holding the Switch in my hands. Anyone else with this problem?

It's not staying flush with the system.

Had to pry myself away from BOTW for a little because I wanted to try some of the other games I've bought.

-Fast Racing RMX is legit. I liked Neo quite a bit as well but I had a couple of small complaints with the game and all of them seem to have been adressed. So, it's a bigger and better version of that game. Nice

-Super Bomberman R is alright. I like Bomberman and it plays like Bomberman.
I don't like the dynamic camera much but thankfully you can turn it off.

-Snipperclips is really cute. I've only played a little bit of the singleplayer so far but it works well. Going to play this with my nephew later today.

-Shovel Knight is Shovel Knight.

My kickstand doesn't stay put when holding the Switch in my hands. Anyone else with this problem?

It's not staying flush with the system.

No, it was the opposite for me. I had trouble getting it out when I wanted to insert my Micro SD card

I'm thinking for my setup I might have to have the dock lying down to more easily get the system in and out (ie trying to avoid those scratches!)

This shouldn't pose any problems right?

That's not normal. See if you can hold down power to do a full reboot.

I did some testing and discovered the Switch seems to be fully shutting down outside the cradle, but as soon as its placed in the cradle or left in the cradle its powering on and putting it in sleep mode.

Also power off is not an option through either the home menu or quick home menu. Is that normal?

Tiberius

Got the problem with the switch and my tv too (ue49ks9000)
when the Switch is placed into the dock on standby, the TV randomly change to whichever hdmi imput the console use

How are people handling docking/charging when not in use? Is everyone just putting it in sleep mode and docking it with joycons attached? I'm just concerned about constantly charging the battery in the Switch as well as the batteries in the joycons...

I played Zelda on Wii U, it was so good I need to play it in the best possible state so roll on tomorrow baby. Thanks for the special Sunday delivery Nintendo.

God bless.

Jeels

Kickstand sucks. :( Doesn't work on most surfaces. Why couldn't they make something like the surface kickstand. Needs stability update.

How are people handling docking/charging when not in use? Is everyone just putting it in sleep mode and docking it with joycons attached? I'm just concerned about constantly charging the battery in the Switch as well as the batteries in the joycons...

I turn the switch off and put it in my carry case when its fully charged.

Clefargle

Welcome
back
to the family

sleepnaught

Enjoying the Switch a lot. But I'm still upset about the screen. Just looks so dull and washed out. Even my TN panel monitor looks vastly superior to this. Its a step up from the Wii U gamepad, but not by a whole lot.

Mr Swine

Banned
A day in I think what I most appreciate about the Switch is that it's a system built to play games. It's uncomplicated, it's streamlined, I can put a game in and just play. I never realized before now how much I missed that aspect of consoles, before they became entertainment hubs.

It's probably the best part of the experience. Well, the best part after Breath of the Wild at least.

Don't forget about how fast the OS is. I really really like it, a big contrast to 3DS and Wii U

Enjoying the Switch a lot. But I'm still upset about the screen. Just looks so dull and washed out. Even my TN panel monitor looks vastly superior to this. Its a step up from the Wii U gamepad, but not by a whole lot.

Weird. I think there's some panel lottery happening, or maybe some people are more discerning, as I think the screen looks fantastic.

Ein Bear

I've got my Switch hooked up to a 4K OLED and still think the screen looks great. I honestly didnt expect it to look as nice and sharp as it does, was a very pleasant surprise.

meppi

What are the limitations of the demo? Can you play a 4P mode?
You can only play play VS and Swap mode.
And it goes back to the menu after each game. Every game has 2 rounds btw.
But you can indeed play with up to 4 people, or against up to 3 CPU players, even with separate joycons and such.
I already have the game physically on both the PS4 and Vita and I'll be getting this one the day it comes out in Europe.
It's my favourite Tetris game since Tetris DS. :)

Will do. It's been a day and I'm in love with this machine.
Same here. :)
Never felt this with the Wii U, not even on launch day.
But this one feels very special already.
Issues aside (left joycon disconnects from a certain distance and possible Hori premium screen protectors not sticking, and having to be careful with inserting the system into the dock), I haven't felt this way about a system since I imported the original DS from Japan as EU launch was still unknown. The Vita came very close but sadly is starting to be left behind.

Having such an incredible Zelda game at launch is certainly helping a lot as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom