• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

I got to mess with a Switch running Zelda yesterday and I'm glad I didn't buy one at launch, especially after browsing threads on here.

Quick impressions:

Maybe I'm spoiled by my Note 5 and my Vita, but the screen wasn't that impressive? Seemed slightly low res for the size, I was expecting something as sharp as native-res Vita games.

It has some heft. It's well-balanced but I wonder how comfortable it will be after holding it for awhile.

Not a fan of the analog sticks on the JoyCons. But I'm also not a fan of the sticks on the Vita.

Holding a JoyCon as an individual controller sucks. It's ridiculously small and the shoulder buttons are tiny garbage. With regards to using JoyCons for multiplayer, it is the very definition of "means to an end."

This is upsetting, because that means I need to buy multiple $70 Pro Controllers instead on one additional set of JoyCons because I'm not an asshole who would make is friends use the shitty controlelrs while he uses the good one.

For that matter, the JoyCons are still not viable MP controllers for anything requiring dual analog sticks. And there's still no D-Pad, so yeah. Not a worthwhile trade at all.

pswii60

I think I may be having the left joycon issue.

When playing Zelda, occasionally Link won't move, or he gets stuck walking and won't stop. Other times the control seems a little laggy. It's fine in handheld mode, I'm only getting this docked. The dock is only a couple of metres away and I have updated the firmware.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah, this is definitely what I'm experiencing. It's not distracting, but I do notice it on occasion.

I always play with headphones so I don't notice it at all. And even though playing in portable mode with the joycons is great, it's even better to come 'home' to the pro controller. That thing is just so comfortable.

is anyone else's joycons not the same level of flushness? i just noticed my left joycon is a little bit off on the bottom and it's killing me.

Has anyone tried holding the Switch by just a joycon?

Just wondering cus sometimes I take my other hand off the joy con and then I'm just supporting it via one side with one hand and I'm worried I'm gunna damage it 😂

Also my left joycon seems to have more forward-backward movement than the right joycon when connected to the unit. They both flex a little bit but the blue joycon flexes much further.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Has Nintendo given us a better idea of the VC plans for the Switch? That's one of the biggest decisions for me. I love the idea of retro gaming on the go, but if they pull a Wii U and give us mostly shit support...

Compsiox

Banned
Has anyone tried holding the Switch by just a joycon?

Just wondering cus sometimes I take my other hand off the joy con and then I'm just supporting it via one side with one hand and I'm worried I'm gunna damage it 😂

Also my left joycon seems to have more forward-backward movement than the right joycon when connected to the unit. They both flex a little bit but the blue joycon flexes much further.

They're locked in. It's been fine for me when I browse the web and play zelda.

Dives

Neo Member
Anyone getting a faint buzz sound through the headphone port? Its there when playing Zelda but not when in the Switch OS.

Ninja Dom

Do we know anything about USB C powerbanks that work with the switch yet? I want to buy one to live in my switch case.

I'm using my old standard Xiaomi powerbank and got a USB C cable. Charges my Switch just fine.

I used my power bank and USB C cable and it charges fine, but it didn't charge while playing Zelda. The battery percentage slowly reduced playing Zelda, and the power bank ran out after about an hour.

It's not the best power bank though. I've had it a couple of years now.

is anyone else's joycons not the same level of flushness? i just noticed my left joycon is a little bit off on the bottom and it's killing me.
You look at your cons while playing? Is it a major thing or is it like a piece of hair under a screen protector that no one can notice, but the fact you know it's there you can't stop looking at it?
Try crossing your eyes.

6piz6sc.jpg

this is where it's off, ever so slightly. just noticed it so i can't be sure it was always like it. it's fine, but if it's getting worse it's probably a bad connection.

Ultime

Banned
One thing I think most reviewers, and some users, are missing, and that was clear when I unpacked mine: this damned thing is a PORTABLE.

I mean, even the Wii U needed a TV, and to be connected to a power outlet.

The Switch? Turn it on out of the box, and off you go! What systems I previously owned that I could do that? Oh yes! DS and 3DS, obvious HOME CONSOLES.

Can we get gold coins in mynintendo for purchasing a Switch? I received 12 gold coins for my zelda game
But do we get any for buying the switch itself?

sleepnaught

Been playing Zelda for the past few hours with my 6 year old nephew. He immediately fell in love with the Switch and now Zelda too. Already humming the village tunes. Worth every penny :)

zroid

Banned
Has Nintendo given us a better idea of the VC plans for the Switch? That's one of the biggest decisions for me. I love the idea of retro gaming on the go, but if they pull a Wii U and give us mostly shit support...

The only thing they said is about one free game per month if you pay for the online service, and that some games will have online multiplayer

MarkusRJR

I hear a faint noise coming from every stick. Found an article that describes this:

"The control sticks make a subtle clicking noise whenever you move them outside of their deadzone that I would compare to rupturing bubble wrap."

It's quieter than that, but there's definitely a pop
My left joycon also makes continual subtle creaking noises when I move it out of the deadzone. Started making noises after playing Zelda for a few hours. Was gonna buy another pair or a pro but might as well wait till I can get a unit from the next production run. Maybe they'll be better.

I feel like this launch is way more janky than usual Nintendo launches.

dafodeu

Are the Amiibos for Zelda worth it?

The only 2 that are worth it arn't Breath of the Wild Amiibos. Those just are more convenience items you can get in game.

The two amiibos worth it are Wolf link to get the wolf link companion who will help you fight and Smash Bros Link which is the only way to get Epona who has max strength, speed, and stamina stats, a gentle temperament, and you have the max bond with her from the very beginning. You can take her to a stable and register her.

So today I had my left joycon stick not work properly (which was fixed by redocking) and my console not recognize the right joycon (which was fixed by a hard reset). This thing is fucking abysmal, although when it works it really is something special. I feel like a beta tester.

tommyguns

Just used a micro fiber cloth (brand new fresh out of the package) on the back of the switch to give it a clean and get some dust off. Bad idea. Shined a flash light on it and now there's all scratches on the back of the switch.

Really damn frustrating. It's on the back so I guess I won't be super upset, but the console is literally a day old.

Gluka

Looks like I got a dud unfortunately. Fan had been spinning at full speed when I first turned it on. I was able to get it to stop by cycling through a few shutdowns and then initializing the system. Now it seems to go from whisper quiet to full speed at random regardless of system load (when navigating OS for instance). It also seems to get "stuck" in full speed no matter what I do from time to time. It seems like some sort of issue with the thermal paste but I don't want to open it up while I am still under warranty.

Really disappointed as it's my first Nintendo console since Gamecube and it seems to be a relatively rare issue. This was the only place I could find other people with the same problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtHeVkdPfE

I really wish Nintendo had cloud saves as I am going to lose all of my progress in Zelda when I return it.

Am I blind, or is the cow milking game not in 1 2 Switch?

I don't think you need to get all of them, unless you really want to collect them all. They provide some convenience in the game though, but not worth the overall cost if you purely want it to benefit your game.
Thanks!

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Loving the console. The experience is really well streamlined and designed, I feel like I will be way less lazy about playing games on this than I've been with my other consoles. 30 seconds tops and bam you're playing, either handheld or on your TV!
Zelda BotW is exactly what I wanted, relaxing exploring and freedom with the best art direction, amazing game so far. This is going to be my game of the year.
Looking forward to MK8, I really wish the second controller wasn't so pricey... hopefully one of my friends picks up a switch too and problem solved.
I like the joycons on the grip, for me there's no need for the classic controller.
No hardware issues yet, but I will have to pick up a screen protector and a case to avoid scratches.
I'm wondering if it'll be bad for the thing to leave it in sleep mode and docked all the time? I guess not since the real turn off function is so hidden, but I'm still a bit worried...

TankRizzo

Banned
The only 2 that are worth it arn't Breath of the Wild Amiibos. Those just are more convenience items you can get in game.

The two amiibos worth it are Wolf link to get the wolf link companion who will help you fight and Smash Bros Link which is the only way to get Epona who has max strength, speed, and stamina stats, a gentle temperament, and you have the max bond with her from the very beginning. You can take her to a stable and register her.
How do you call your horse?

drac96

So I've been checking the battery on the joycons ever so often and the bar has never gone down at all?

Do they get charged even when in portable mode? It just seems odd that I've never seen them below max battery.

Jacce

Banned
So I've been checking the battery on the joycons ever so often and the bar has never gone down at all?

Do they get charged even when in portable mode? It just seems odd that I've never seen them below max battery.

They will not lose battery life in portable mode.

BFIB

Got my screen protector on, and its perfect....except for one small dust particle. Its near the bottom, so I'm gonna force myself to live with it until I get another one. I gave the other protector to a friend of mine.

Its the amFilm one, highly recommended, covers the screen and bezels.

Poppyseed

My main issues that I have run across so far; I hope they fix the 720p menu when docked and increase the quality of captures.

Other than that I love this thing. Felt so good playing a bit of Zelda this morning before heading out, undocking and shoving in my bag then carrying on where I left off on the train.

I hope Nintendo gives us some proper themes soon. That BOTW art work of Link on the cliff pls.

Have you definitely pushed it right the way down? They go down a bit further after the initial click.

Absolutely. I also fixed the creaking/rubbing of the JoyCon on the body of the Switch (which happens at the bottom of the system, fyi) by putting a few layers of tape on the square metal bit at the bottom of the Switch. Now it no longer creaks at all.

Honestly, Nintendo can suck an egg. What with having to line their crappy dock to prevent the Switch being scratched, to the way the JoyCon feel pretty flimsy while connected... I just can't even right now...

Anyway, this 2-second fix sorted my creaking/clicking of the JoyCon.

XjeaV3j.jpg

Guys, some very important questions about the OS and the nature of "region free" on the Switch:

Does the OS have multiple language support? For example, would a Japanese console have an option to select English on start up?

If you had a Switch from one region, could you log in to and buy games from the eShop store of another region?

Physical carts are truly region free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom