• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
so Nintendo's strategy is to milk their fanboys as much as they can because they'll easily bend over for the latest mario/zelda.

These prices are quite ridiculous, especially those controllers. I'm sure the switch will sell at launch, but the I highly doubt it can maintain the hype for long. Families are not going to spend hundreds for controllers when they can get a ps4/xbox with less money.

Don't forget the questionable battery life and low onboard storage.

Yup. Said pretty much the same thing. Only reason I MAY get one is that it's near my birthday. Other than that, Nintendo is seeing how far they can push their fans before they say "FUCK IT I'M OUT"

Griss

As a Wii U owner, I'm being asked to pay $300 for what looks to be a very marginal upgrade to my Wii U.

The Wii U I got brand new for $200 back in christmas 2013.

This just isn't a value proposition at all.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So the launch lineup looks like the following games based on Nintendo's site:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

killer app.

m4st4

I'm IN only because Mario looked unreal and Zelda trailer made me legit shook. Which is completely crazy and I'm actually sad for Nintendo right now. No way they recover from this and surpass WiiU with Switch, I expect full handheld announcement in about two-three years and more mobile games from them.

And I'm sure Switch will have more awesome games, just like WiiU did... but they just don't know how to SELL IT to the masses.

Just... show them the magic, damn it. Stop acting so goofy and awkward all the time. Presentation 101 straight up sucked and that two minute trailer for Switch, with no words, did it so much better it's embarrassing.

Leatherface

This is a big fat pass for me right now. I feel like they jumped the gun on this release and fuck you making me pay $60 for what could be a WiiU DLC (Mario Kart)! I will get Zelda on WiiU

Memento

This conference honestly gave me Wii U vibes.

I am not even joking. This thing is so dead.

I do hope I am wrong though, but Nintendo needs to fucking wake up. I would have thought their last home console was that moment for them, but this show... Jesus.

As a Wii U owner, I'm being asked to pay $300 for what looks to be a very marginal upgrade to my Wii U.

The Wii U I got brand new for $200 back in christmas 2013.

This just isn't a value proposition at all.

And the Switch's killer launch app is coming to WiiU,

Caelus

I'm not entirely sure if I want to spend around $400 just to play the new Zelda, considering I skipped the Wii U. I don't think I'd want to buy a Wii U as I do want to play Mario Odyssey eventually.

Ugh, Nintendo why.

Fess

Day 1 for me, even though some things were very disappointing, simply can't see myself ignoring the awesome Nintendo exclusives.

TrojanAg

Got a preorder for Best Buy in-store pickup on launch day. I might cancel it though if I can get an amazon preorder, which is what I would prefer

Capella

So if I didn't love Zelda so much, I'm not so sure if I would consider buying this anytime soon after seeing the presentation. I do not own a Wii U so there's Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart to look forward to not too long after launch and Super Mario Odyssey looks good but I kind of just felt 'meh' about everything else. Other games look like they are too far out or are games I already own on PS4.

Machina

Banned
I put $100 down on a Switch a few days ago. I'm seriously considering cancelling. Nintendo have done damage with this and the sad thing is they don't even realize it. Even the EA guy looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

themoose5

Neo Member
That strategy only works works for gamers who would buy both a PS4 and Vita. Note that it doesn't work for gamers who already own either a PS4 or Vita. It also doesn't work for gamers who would be interested in only one which btw would be the vast majority of gamers. Finally it doesn't work for gamers who want modern 3rd party games and graphics.

Basically that strategy would target an exceedingly small number of potential buyers.

The part about modern 3rd party games and graphics is what's going to kill them. It feels like they went the Nintendo games machine route again like they did with the Wii U. I will be pretty surprised if there is significant 3rd party support on the switch. Based on what I've seen so far there really isn't any compelling reason for someone to pickup a 3rd party on the switch vs a PS4 or XBOne.

Seems like Nintendo really screwed the pooch on this one.

Normally I'd say that if it had come with a pack-in game that would had been fine but it's otherwise too much.

But with Nintendo jumping on the paid online bandwagon, expensive accessories, and having seemingly no grand launch line up to bolster the Switch's launch period, it's way more expensive than it's actually worth even if it did have a pack-in game. You can right now buy a Xbox One or PS4 pack-in game bundle with an additional game or controller for that price.

It's like they learned absolutely nothing from the Wii U IMO.

And speaking of which, for those claiming they're going to wait for a price drop: Nintendo only dropped the price Wii U (Premium) when it was all but dead...and they only officially slashed the price by $50. What makes you think they wouldn't do the same thing with the Switch if (when) that too falters?...

nikos

Preordered at Best Buy for in-store pickup and wasn't charged anything. Is this normal? I haven't preordered a console online with them before, only in store where they require $50.

EDIT: Order says "Awaiting authorization."

Gurish

Sony has proven that no one cares if online is paid, if Microsoft hadn't made it clear before then.

This is gonna be a second console (obviously it won't support most third party current gen games) and people are already paying for PSN or XBL and if they only own PC, most of those users aren't wiling to pay for online anyway, so yea, in this case as a second console it matters.

e_i

Got my BB order in. I decided against going to GS.

Ah, shit, BB charged my card. Stupid temp authorizations.

NickMitch

Expectations met on my part

- paid online was inevitable
- Price is not a shocker
- A bit thin on the games list for release
- first party line up showing delivered as expected

Still keeping my pre-order. I mean, all the wishful thinking about BGE2 and $199 has only done thy harm my fellow gaffers!

This is gonna be a second console (obviously it won't support most third party current gen games) and people are already paying for PSN or XBL and if they only own PC, most of those users aren't wiling to pay for online anyway, so yea, in this case as a second console it matters.

It would be third console with paid online for me as I pay for PS+ and Xbox Live aready, so no, not happening. Even if I ever get it in the future I won't pay for Nintendo online services.

Uh, $300 with online fees and the rumored underpowered specifications? It should of been $200 and $250 is honestly pushing it when the PS4 and XBox One are around that price same much more power. I've seen XBox Ones for just over $200 and PS4's for $250. I wish them the best because after the Wii U fiasco, the system needed to be $200 to $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom