• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

It's truly stunning how Nintendo not only didn't learn their lessons from the Wii U, but is making all sorts of new mistakes as well. Where does their leadership get off thinking they can get away with this kind of outrageous pricing for an unproven system?

This might get me some heat but I'm partially blaming Iwata for this. This stinks of the same kind of half-way to a good idea but still executing awfully shit that plagued the Wii and Wii U. Like I'm not even really surprised at all of this.

Rncewind

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly

yes when i walk in a gamestop i go also get a free time machine ride before i buy a system

The pricing scheme is fucked but this is a dumb argument dragged out for every console launch ever, don't do that shit.

extra controller aside(which you don't need right away unless more than 2 players).. the storage is inexcusable, and its going to force everyone to fork in $100 at least real soon, especially if you try to go digital.

T-Rex.

Banned
RIP dedicated handheld market.

Is it still 2013?
Exactly. PS4 had a barren line up, but it got away with it due to the One having an identity crisis and the lower price point. The Switch is competing with their current line ups, at a higher price point, with lower specs... I'll be very surprised if it's not a bomba.

This might get me some heat but I'm partially blaming Iwata for this. This stinks of the same kind of half-way to a good idea but still executing awfully shit that plagued the Wii and Wii U. Like I'm not even really surprised at all of this.
???

There is no way a dead dude set the final pricing for this console.

Exactly. PS4 had a barren line up, but it got away with it due to the One having an identity crisis and the lower price point. The Switch is competing with their current line ups, at a higher price point, with lower specs... I'll be very surprised if it's not a bomba.

It had BF4, CoD, Sports games.... you know like stuff people buy consoles for?
Lol, some of you guys trying to rationalize like this have selective memory.

TriGen

Pre-conference I felt like I was 100% going to be running to the store to pre-order tomorrow, but now I don't think so.

I'm okay with the price but I'm just really dissapointed with the launch window, not just the launch. I was kind of expecting around 4 notable games in the first 3 months but it really looks like Zelda and MK only, along with a party game -- which could be enough but 1,2, Switch needs to be a Wii Sports level party game for that to be the case. Basically, they were a couple first-party games shy -- and, hey that's a lot for a company that drives their hardware based on first-party not someone like Sony or MS who sells new machines by being your main third-party console for everything, which the Switch can't promise.

On a personal note, which I don't feel matters too much since most people don't own a Wii U -- but as a day 1 Wii U owner the fact that a cross-gen release (I still think it's a huge launch game and its my most anticipated title of 2016, but as I said this is just my personal situation) and an upgraded port are the two big launch window games is extra disappointing. I really thought there would be more, especially considering the Wii U hasn't done good in terms of first-party releases for a while.

One last thought. I really am happy with SM Odyssey, but it kind of reminds me of the 3DS, where I waited until the first holiday and the 3DS was price cut and there was a SM3DL bundle. Right now the Switch seems like something I want by holiday 2017 because they have one full exclusive that would probably rank as my 2nd or 3rd most anticipated game of the year now -- but I really was hoping they'd make a stronger case for launch or launch window and not waiting until holiday 2017 because they can't afford a 3DS situation again.

HotHamBoy

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly

Resogun and Battlefield 4 were launch games.

The point is that if I'm joe schmoe buying a game console, which one would I choose based on what is available this year.

I feel like Nintendo only cares about selling you their peripherals and addons now. Like they were so fucking excited to show you some neon colored controllers like people give a shit or some controller vibration like this is something new in 2017. Normal games are going to be unplayable on their horrible controllers unless you buy a pro controller too, so that's an additional charge. It's all about milking their customers for as much money as possible. Now they expect people to pay for an online platform to potentially play 2-3 games a year online? They are screwed.

Solobbos

So, if Finland is one of the "big European countries" that gets the console on launch day, I'm looking at:

The Switch 299€ (some pages are selling for 399€, but I'm hopeful the console can be bought for 299€)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 70€
Pro Controller 70€

That's 439€. 466 dollars. Jeez.

It's not silly at all, it's what consumers will be doing. Switch is competing with PS4/XB1 as they exist in 2017.

Even as a huge Nintendo fan I have no problem admitting that it's not at all a favorable comparison. $300 for a console with that launch lineup? Zelda looks great, but give me a break.

Plasmid

This item does not ship to the United States. Learn more

:lol

So can we expect the US page to open soon? Or 7 AM like the UK?

btrboyev

I feel like Nintendo only cares about selling you their peripherals and addons now. Like they were so fucking excited to show you some neon colored controllers like people give a shit or some controller vibration like this is something new in 2017. Normal games are going to be unplayable on their horrible controllers unless you buy a pro controller too, so that's an additional charge. It's all about milking their customers for as much money as possible. Now they expect people to pay for an online platform to potentially play 2-3 games a year online? They are screwed.

The joycons are 100% the same functionally as the pro when docked

Gator86

It's truly stunning how Nintendo not only didn't learn their lessons from the Wii U, but is making all sorts of new mistakes as well. Where does their leadership get off thinking they can get away with this kind of outrageous pricing for an unproven system?

Nintendo in a nutshell. They just don't learn. They deserve what they get.

Ladekabel

Since they're probably banking on the holidays: How can they think that the price is a good idea, when PS4s and Xbox Ones can be had cheaper with a packed in game and arguably the biggest holiday title of 2017, Red Dead Redemption 2*?

Or is it a case where they went nuts on the gimmick (Joy-Cons) again and they push up the price?

*if it comes out in 2017 and no Switch version is announced. Both things seem very likely to me.

Maengun1

Speaking as a Nintendo diehard who has and will continue to buy every thing they put out, I don't really care about it being $300, but based on what we saw the idea that 12Switch ISN'T included with the system seems reallllly baffling to me. Like...how is that not a pack in game lol

It's not silly. Nintendo have had 3 years to watch what the competition is doing and prepare to launch a competitive console. They haven't. Consumers couldn't give a shit about how dire the PS4 was at launch. They care about what is on offer now, when they walk into stores now in 2017 and Switch just doesn't stack up. Not in price, not in games available, not in online functionality. But hey, Joy-cons and Zelda.

Cuningas de Häme;228234513 said:
Was that shitty excuse for a game for PS4 at LAUNCH?

The Switch is competing against what is available on the market today, not three years ago. Nintendo supporters bring up this exact same point when complaining about high priced shitty ports compared to the much lower costs of those games on competing platforms at the time of release on Nintendo consoles. Care to explain why your logic doesn't apply to 3rd party software ports, but magically applies the console and its launch software?

Very bad comparison.

But yeah, I don't think people will suddenly be super excited about Wii type games AGAIN.
Seems appropriate to me since the 1-2 Switch game is one of the few games available at launch and Uncharted is the current pack-in game available for the PS4. Actual the reality is even worse than that because the Switch doesn't even have a pack-in game. So the real comparison is Uncharted 4 for the PS4 to nothing for the Switch.

MaximumX2

The Fool Who Follows Her
If there were more games that I'd play—besides Zelda—at launch, I might be able to justify the $300 price tag. But, I'll just pick up Zelda on Wii U instead, and wait until Super Mario Odyssey comes out.

Some things that show they're completely out of touch, in my opinion, is the lack of a game included with the system. They couldn't even include shovelware like "1-2 Switch"—seriously, Nintendo? Also, I'm not going to pay for online, and I don't expect the install base to even big enough for it to succeed. What the hell, Nintendo?

I feel like this was their last chance and they blew it. I'm typically an early adopter, but there's NO games I would buy on day one besides Zelda. I picked up a Wii U on day one and learned my lesson, so I'll wait until more games come out before buying one. Really disappointed here.

Mainly because many, many people are complaining about the price tag.

Mainly because of the value it offers. If they knocked it out of the park with the line-up and didn't go the paid online route, that would add more value.

I have an expendable income. I spent about 5k last year all on video games and related accessories. The value they are offering here is non existent. A Wii U, which I already own holds more value.

Drewboy64

$300 - Switch
$70 - Normal controller
$100? - 256gb microSD card (so you can hold more than 2 or 3 major games these days)

$470 for pretty basic functionality, before you buy a single game. Ye gads.

Comes with a perfeclty good joycon grip, and you won't need that much as much space since the games are on cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom