• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZehDon

We all expect it to be 250 with a game by its first Christmas, right? I waited a year for Wii u and saved over 100 bucks, maybe 150. It will be the same here.
It'll get the emergency price cut the 3DS received by September. I expect base SKU $199.00 by Holiday 2017, $250.00 Mario bundle.

MissingString

Neo Member
The best part is that right now it's completely unclear as to whether those extra services, like voice chat, even run through the Switch itself. The documentation provided thus far is talking about a smartphone app for this stuff lol.

Exactly. A good example of how poor their messaging is. That had a whole hour to talk about how that was going to work and instead we got an EA exec stammering about FIFA and Sega and Suda51 going, "Yeah, we're thinking about stuff." I'm more confused about this thing than I was in October.

$300 for a system that can't even compete graphically with the Xbox one, with a RIDICULOUS online system. They MUST be joking.

You MUST be joking if you seriously believe that an XBone is even achievable in a portable form factor and non-zero battery life for any price below 1000$...
At least the concern trolls have another topic after Scalebound has become stale, I guess.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's a party game. It's for when you're drunk and want to play dumb games with friends.
Would people actually pay to play these screenless quick-draw western and cow milking games with drunk friends though? Who is this aimed at! The whole thing is so odd - it's like charging for Nintendoland (ie. senseless).

Branduil

It's truly stunning how Nintendo not only didn't learn their lessons from the Wii U, but is making all sorts of new mistakes as well. Where does their leadership get off thinking they can get away with this kind of outrageous pricing for an unproven system?

There you go folks. This is what Nintendo has to justify paying $300 for a Switch. Meanwhile for $269 on Amazon right now you can get a PS4 with this as a pack-in game.

ujCKdr31.gif

Was that shitty excuse for a game for PS4 at LAUNCH?

Takashi

What justifies the 300 price tag? Is there a substantial difference between Wii U and Switch graphics at least? I only caught the Zelda stuff at the end of the conference so I don't know if there was anything else that showcased its potential.

Also from what I'm seeing apparently there's no pack in game either. Lol wtf?

Toparaman

Banned
Makes sense given all the tech they're packing into this thing. The problem is that many casuals aren't going to bite at this price. They needed the 250 price point to get some of the Wii crowd back in.

720p on my tv in 2017. I just cant.

It supports 1080p on the TV. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be 1080p on the TV, for example.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, I don't see this selling very well at $300.

I'd pay $200 at most, and I bet I will be able to within 12-18 months of release.
That's what people thought about the Wii U and then it never dropped in price because it sold so poorly they didn't make new ones.

But maybe Nintendo will ambassador things up.

Cuningas de Häme;228234513 said:
Switch isn't competing in some distorted reality where it's PS4 launch on March 3rd, it's competing with PS4 that launched in 2013.

Pachinko

Echoing the DOA comments. This thing is 400$ in Canada , a pro controller will be 100$ and buying Zelda will be 80$. Then ? No new games until Mario which , lets be honest here - it's going to be delayed into 2018.

I'm actually pretty bummed out about Switch now. High prices , no worthwhile third party support , only 1 brand new exclusive game coming out within its first 12 months . Even the Wii U had more than this.

I can't even count Zelda because I can play that just fine on my Wii U. I think it's safe to say I can wait at least until Mario is out but I don't want to spend more than 300$ Canadian for Switch and Mario combined so .....

aravuus

Sounds high. Wonder what this translates to in Finland, is 300 euros too optimistic? With my current financial situation in mind, 300e would be too much.

e: jesus fucking christ, it's listed at 500 and 400 euros at various stores

FIVE

HUNDRED

EUROS

kunonabi

This seems to have borne out with Super Mario Maker 3DS, at least in Japan.

I'll be passing on MK8 Deluxe but I can see the portability giving it a big push, and the game itself moving systems, for those who skipped the Wii U.

The 3DS had an existing install base to sell to.

Wanderer5

Nintendo usually has a pack in deal for the holiday so it's probably a good deal even at $299 if you were planning to get those games anyway.

Yeah I would likely be on for that, even for $300. Shit I would be all for even something like a Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle.:p

sirap

Cuningas de Häme;228234513 said:

Buyers won't care what the PS4 & Xbox One were like at launch. They'll compare the Switch to what the other two are offering NOW.

$300 - Switch
$70 - Normal controller
$100? - 256gb microSD card (so you can hold more than 2 or 3 major games these days)

$470 for pretty basic functionality, before you buy a single game. Ye gads.

So if the EU price is €329 I guess I'm looking at about €460 for Zelda and a Pro controller.
I already mentioned it. It's completely fucking insane, I don't know what happened at their headquarters but they just lost it.

Plus paid online, the absurd joycon prices, 32GB(in 2017? abismal, holy shit)of memory, 3 hour battery life..

This is the bomba.

Alex

If it was a more empty year, maybe, but there's so much good software coming.

I'm going to have to wait, it's just asking too much for 300 + a really awful interpretation of paid online right now.

Hatty

There you go folks. This is what Nintendo has to justify paying $300 for a Switch. Meanwhile for $269 on Amazon right now you can get a PS4 with this as a pack-in game.

ujCKdr31.gif

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly

Xenoblade

US$299 Nintendo can get fucked. Will buy an XB1 Slim instead.

It's truly stunning how Nintendo not only didn't learn their lessons from the Wii U, but is making all sorts of new mistakes as well. Where does their leadership get off thinking they can get away with this kind of outrageous pricing for an unproven system?

No only unproven, but coming off the back of a failed console in the Wii U no less. Amazing.

People scoffing at the Wii U ports must be forgetting that almost no one owns a Wii U. MK8 might as well be a new game.

The WiiU ports would be exciting if they were there at launch.

Very bad comparison.

But yeah, I don't think people will suddenly be super excited about Wii type games AGAIN.

No it's not, it's what Nintendo is competing against. Why wait till Fall to play a subpar port of Skyrim when you can get get a superior one now for cheaper than a Switch.

Papacheeks

Banned
So does anyone know why we were seeing 720p images and videos of games? Does it out put to 1080p but the games are rendered when docked still at 720p and upscaled?

If so like WTF?

TalonJH

My biggest gripe with the switch isn't the price, nor the controllers, nor the hardware, nor the resolution, nor the paid online (if i play multiplayer, it's local)

It's actually the fact that it wants me to put it on top of my TV / media shelf.
The "vertically inserted dock" thing makes you unable to just shove it into any compartment that would usually fit any regular console.

I'm likely gonna day 1 it anyways, because i make enough money and i'm a dumb sucker for nintendo games. Still, it's annoying. :/

I was actually thinking this as well. I'm not sure where i am going to put mine.

DavidDesu

The more I read this thread and the more I think about it I really think this is a balls up by Nintendo. Before this the idea of console and handheld in one seemed great... but as other posters have said it's really a worst of both worlds proposition.

Nintendo didn't seem to show off any 3DS style portable games, it all felt console skewed. However as a console this thing is ridiculously overpriced for what you get. You don't even get a proper full size controller with it and that costs a silly amount extra. Zelda at launch and erm... It's just very bad timing because the PS4 is absolutely running away with a range of incredible games already on the system and far more coming to it than Nintendo could ever dream of for the Switch. Third party support will evidently be just as bad for the Switch as it has been for the Wii U. Graphically the console seems to be only on par with the WiiU, or hell maybe even worse?!

The value proposition is in the negative..

EDIT: Oh and the NES/SNES game for only a month for the paid online is truly an insult more than anything else. Nintendo have truly become arrogant as fuck.

$300 - Switch
$70 - Normal controller
$100? - 256gb microSD card (so you can hold more than 2 or 3 major games these days)

Don't forget a game and your online subscription. Getting real close to five hundred and ninety nine us dollars

Roi

NINTENDO IS ARROGANT!

The only launch game that really matters is Zelda.

$300 for a console that has WiiU graphics (Hello, Nintendo, $300 is a PS4!!!)

Expensive as f*** accessories/controllers.

Ass quality presentation...

I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with this company.

Just wait till you see the sales, then you know why :)

Gleethor

$300 - Switch
$70 - Normal controller

The pricing scheme is fucked but this is a dumb argument dragged out for every console launch ever, don't do that shit.

The pricing scheme is fucked but this is a dumb argument dragged out for every console launch ever, don't do that shit.

I can't name another major console that didn't come with a normal controller and adequate storage for a decent number of AAA games.

Oh wait, yes I can. The Wii U.

btrboyev

I have to think the only reason they are launching in March is because they promised Zelda on Wii U then. The switch isn't ready. Should've launched in Sept.

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly

I'm sure every dude bro out there will walk into Walmart and say "Gee these Japanese Switch games are better than the PS4 games were 4 years ago, I guess I'm going with the Switch since they should catch up by 2021!"

Mithos

Gold Member
That's what people thought about the Wii U and then it never dropped in price because it sold so poorly they didn't make new ones.

But maybe Nintendo will ambassador things up.

We don't care who drops the price... I got a Wii U for half price 7-8 months after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom