• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZehDon

Wii U never got an emergency price cut.
Nintendo sold the Wii U at a loss, which prohibited price competition, and they quickly realised no one would buy a dead console at any price. A price cut couldn't save the Wii U. Nintendo also had the 3DS powering along, mitigating the Wii U's dismal performance.

The Switch replaces the Wii U and the 3DS by merging the worst parts of both consoles. It's an atrociously under-powered home console, and a prohibitively expensive handheld in a market that simply doesn't buy them. $250.00, even with a solid launch line up, was already a rough value proposition for the Switch. $300.00, with their biggest launch title not even a system exclusive, is borderline egregious.

After it crash and burns, it'll get a price cut. $199 by Holiday 2017.

The only way this could have been worse is if they revealed a name change for the console from Switch to Wii U Too or some shit. Just a total overestimation of the market's valuation of their consoles YET AGAIN. Three times in a row now, in fact.

sanstesy

I still remember talking to people 3 months ago (before the countless $249 rumours popped up) that $299 is the safest prediction. I was right all along.

T-Rex.

Banned
It had BF4, CoD, Sports games.... you know like stuff people buy consoles for?
Lol, some of you guys trying to rationalize like this have selective memory.
I was on about exclusives. I should have clarified. And my point actually is that the market is in a completely different place now and the Switch has to compete with their current line-ups, not their offerings in 2013, and I doubt it'll get away with having that price point.

yyr

will buy. I'm an adult human with money. And I have a train commute. And I love Zelda.

I am also an adult human with money, and I understand that the $400+ that it would take to get a Switch, accessories, and a few games would go a lot further towards great-looking, highly-rated AND discounted games for my XB1, PS4, 3DS, Vita, and yeah, even my Wii U.

I might consider it once it hits the $199 price point it should have been at all along.

Tarin02543

The Switch replaces the Wii U and the 3DS by merging the worst parts of both consoles. It's an atrociously under-powered home console, and a prohibitively expensive handheld in a market that simply doesn't buy them. $250.00, even with a solid launch line up, was already a rough value proposition for the Switch. $300.00, with their biggest launch title not even a system exclusive, is borderline egregious.

Razorsharp analysis, exactly my thoughts as well.

Etzer

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly
Why would that matter to consumers? It doesn't matter if the PS4 launch lineup was bad, it currently has a pretty great library of games that the Switch will be competing with in March 2017.

I think I've posted before about not getting a PS4 until it had a decent library and price drop. With what was announced today, I can't think of a single reason for me to get a Switch at launch instead of a PS4 slim bundle. As great as Zelda looks, I'm not buying a console for one game and the possibility of other games I might like down the line.

Hype.....deflated. Yah this thing is going to have a tough go at that price, no pack in games, crap launch lineup, over priced accessories, paid online, and it being under powered. Why wouldn't I just buy a wii u?

People comparing ps4/xb1 launch games need to step back and realize the switch is competing against those systems with their current lineups. If this had launched in 2013 along side those then maybe we can make those comparisons but a consumer who doesn't have a ps4/xb1, why wouldn't they choose those systems instead ?

I skipped the wii u because I felt Nintendo had lost its touch with its fans but I was really hoping they would fix that with the Switch and they could have. I will wait till it's $199 now or hoping for a bundle at $249.

NINTENDO you dun gone and fucked up...again.

vpance

Since they're probably banking on the holidays: How can they think that the price is a good idea, when PS4s and Xbox Ones can be had cheaper with a packed in game and arguably the biggest holiday title of 2017, Red Dead Redemption 2*?

Or is it a case where they went nuts on the gimmick (Joy-Cons) again and they push up the price?

*if it comes out in 2017 and no Switch version is announced. Both things seem very likely to me.

They don't see themselves as competing with MS or Sony. I guess they're content with a 10M user base?

mo60

$400 is a bit to much for me at the moment. I'm not getting the console at launch but I do hope the price drops significantly by then in Canada.

Fbh

Not surprising really.
But at that price (and it's probably going to be 350 euros en many EU countries) I'll wait and see

PS4 didn't get a truly great game until march 2015, nearly two years after its launch. PS4 was dire at launch and in its first year. Comparing a fully mature system to one that is about to launch is silly

But Ps4 didn't launch to compete with a cheaper, more powerful system with more games and and better third party support.

People won't walk into the store, look at the Switch and say "wow, this is better than Ps4 at launch." They will walk into the store and compare the switch with what Sony and Microsoft are offering now.

13ruce

Banned
Nintendo sold the Wii U at a loss, which prohibited price competition, and they quickly realised no one would buy a dead console at any price. A price cut couldn't save the Wii U. Nintendo also had the 3DS powering along, mitigating the Wii U's dismal performance.

If pokemon stars releases this holiday it will pick up they should cut it with 50 or 100 yeah around thst time tho.

Would have MAYBE bought at 199.
Was already burnt by buying the Wii U on launch day.

299 is ridiculous. Are they crazy at Nintendo?

Anyway, thanks for saving me money, Nintendo.

TLZ

Banned
Comes with a perfeclty good joycon grip, and you won't need that much as much space since the games are on cartridges

Have you tried the controller? Have you seen the lack of D-pad? And why are you telling a guy how to buy his games? This is ridiculous.

$400 is a bit to much for me at the moment. I'm not getting the console at launch but I do hope the price drops significantly by then in Canada.

Having worked at EB canada for years, I can assure you Nintendo hardware/software does not drop at the rate it should.

DeSo

Banned
So at least $400 AUD, dang.

Oh, paid online? That will push it up to at least $500... yikes.

Edit: It's $470 at EB games... yeah nup.

Rockondevil

Well hopefully JB Hi-FI is cheaper. I was expecting it to be $400 in Aus to be honest. Seems I was wrong...

36JX0ed.png

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-202879-Nintendo-Switch-Switch

Personally that's a little steep for me and games will probably be the usual $80-$100 each. I'll wait till Christmas and see if there is a good price drop.

Freeser

I'm really thinking it's time for Nintendo to shift gears and focus on mobile while licensing their IP's. I really thought they would have learned from their WiiU mistakes. This is pretty disappointed to say the least.

D3VI0US

Too expensive especially with that sad lineup, I just don't see how this console can be successful given the price of the competitors consoles. I'd rather have a 500GB non portable Switch console with no screen or Joy-Cons for $200ish like the Shield TV. A portable SKU and home console SKU would have been the better way to go if it allowed them to hit a more mass market price point at least for the console.

Paertan

Expected the price. 250usd would have been to much compromises. Will most likely buy but not super interested in any of the release games. Well I always love Mario Kart but need something else.

samar11

Look, Nintendo got lucky with the wii, it will do GameCube numbers at best. Never thought it was going to disrupt the gaming market or do wii numbers again.

It's gonna be hard for me to justify getting this @300$ plus the cost of a real controller and an online subscription.

I'll probably get it but fuck, it's more expensive than I was expecting.

Swass

I preordered but I don't feel good about it.. I have played about 5 games total on my launch Wii U, and I could get Zelda on it and save $300.. finger will be hovering over the cancel button for the next month and a half..

Neoxon

The farthest I can see the Switch going down to for the holidays is $249. A $199 price tag was already a bit far-fetched.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yall are crazy. This thing is gonna be a huge seller. $299 isn't bad for what you are getting, and they've got a massive runway to Christmas to get games and bundles out. Gonna be huge, and get insane PR.

Mark my words, Nintendo is gonna be huge in 2017. This ain't the Wii U 2.

delume

GAF, oh GAF. You are crashing hard post hype. Mario and Zelda look great, Nintendo makes fun games and I'm looking forward to playing them. 😊

If the launch line up had more I might have jumped in but I'm just settling for Zelda on Wii U. Thanks for not holding it back any longer I guess. Maybe by the holidays when Mario is ready I might get a bundle. Trying to bring back the waggle seems like a huge mistake.

But Ps4 didn't launch to compete with a cheaper, more powerful system with more games and and better third party support.

People won't walk into the store, look at the Switch and say "wow, this is better than Ps4 at launch." They will walk into the store and compare the switch with what Sony and Microsoft are offering now.

Now that's just silly talk. People will walk into stores and buy the Phat Launch PS4. They will also be limited by law to only be able to buy games 3 years old or older for the life of the console. Oh, and they'll have to pay the full original price too.

When you reason it out like that, I think the Nintendo fanboy logic is ironclad. Pack it up guys, the Switch is going to sell HUGE!

Nydius

+ Zelda: BotW

- $300 base
- Ridiculous peripheral costs
- Impending online multiplayer paywall
- Minimal launch titles
- Splatoon 2 sometime in "summer"
- Mario at Holiday 2017 assuming no delays

Yep, this is a hard pass.
I can see nothing but pain in being an early adopter of this system.

Edit:

Just wondering how you like your crow served so I know for future reference. Unless you absolutely have to have Zelda, there's no reason to buy this day one. The best Nintendo can hope for is a solid holiday, assuming Mario goes according to schedule. Then just imagine the backlash when parents realize they have to pay for online multiplayer if their kid is into Splatoon or other multiplayer games.

This IS going to be a repeat of the Wii U and I'm sorry you can't see it. It's barely even a niche product. The only thing it has going for it is that they're FINALLY releasing another proper Zelda game. That's IT.

DieH@rd

Banned
They are really going high with the pricing [including really lol-worthy pricing on accessories], and as usual EU customers will have to pay even more. 60 pounds for Switch Zelda is insanity.

Yall are crazy. This thing is gonna be a huge seller. $299 isn't bad for what you are getting, and they've got a massive runway to Christmas to get games and bundles out. Gonna be huge, and get insane PR.

$299 is garbage for what you aren't getting.

They'll be huge for the first couple months just like the Wii U was before people give no more damns and the Steam runs out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom