• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

asagami_

Banned
I will buy in April, but it wouldn't surprise me if a intentional and expected price drop happens until the fall. When, you know, it will be more games.

reKon

Banned
Damn...

Thinking about this, Sony is really in an excellent position. My assumption is that Scorpio will be aiming for a price of $399. Sony will be able to make there move and have a lot of flexibility here. Everyone is going to hoping for that $299 price point on the Pro, but those huge kind of price cuts rarely happen. I think it's more likely to be a $50 cut resulting in some insane $350 bundles.

This would mean a lot of trouble for Nintendo if they are going to try to maintain a consistent price point like what was done with the Wii U. Then there's also the PS4 Slim which will always be $100 less than the Pro, so you would already have a cheaper, more powerful console, with relatively more storage for digital games, with a much bigger library that has cheaper games ...

If Sony goes for the throat and does the crazy, the putting Pro at $299 and Slim at $199 with a bundle, Xbox One S would definitely match the $299 price and Nintendo would probably be fucked.

Black Friday is going to be fun.

bachikarn

This thing seems way too expensive for what is available. I would not be surprised at all if Nintendo saw the popularity of the trailer and decided to price it higher (just like what happened with the 3DS).

I skipped the Wii U, so I'm definitely getting it, but since I am rarely going to use the handheld mode, I'm paying an unnecessary premium.

0racle

I'm so confused.

Is this basically a WiiU slim? How is this a new console? What is the power like in comparison?

I really don't get it....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This isn't replacing the 3DS if the battery life is only 2.5 hours for the only game people even want to play on it. Not to mention the price.

In a year or two when the lineup is bigger, the system is cheaper, and they sort out the battery life - maybe.

Has Nintendo been explicit about this being their only system, home and handheld, for the next few years? If not, I've a funny feeling there'll be another, sadly. I say sadly because I feel the idea of Switch as one home for all Nintendo output is its best selling point... but have they been playing coy about this?

As is, I'm probably out for now unless there are some really great retail-driven deals post-launch... will reconsider when Odyssey is out.

I've been waiting since the end of the GC era to be interested in Nintendo...

Still waiting.

Not going to lie, Mario looks good but everything else I saw looks shit and unless the big Japanese 3DS devs transition their big hitters to Switch I think this will be another failure. Really expected more, and less of the gimmicks.

biteren

the launch lineup really tells me to wait a bit later to see if theres anything that id be interested in coming later, Splatoon 2 might out of the picture for me since i dont plan to get the online, Fire Emblem Warriors wont come till later.

RulkezX

UK price is too much for me. Looks like waiting to xmas and the inevitable fire sale is the safer option at this point.

The announced year 1 games list makes the decision easy tbh.

rav

In like Flynn, day one. Hopefully breath of the wild US has Japanese audio. If not I'll buy the JP region game, YAY region free!!

Ahiko

Neo Member
UK price is too much for me. Looks like waiting to xmas and the inevitable fire sale is the safer option at this point.

The announced year 1 games list makes the decision easy tbh.

It's Wii U all over again, however there we actually had a great launch imo. I'm cancelling my pre-order and wait for at least a year and a price drop before touching this lol.

I have pretty much all of the major consoles since the beginning and knew I was going to get a switch eventually. I watched the event and am now a little more excited for it. $250 would have been perfect, but I don't think $300 is that bad of a price point for a versatile system like this.

I like what they are doing with the controllers and I'm kind of excited for several of the upcoming games. New Zelda at launch is pretty awesome. I'm intrigued by what they are going to offer with their online service.

Striek

$299 is garbage for what you aren't getting.

They'll be huge for the first couple months just like the Wii U was before people give no more damns and the Steam runs out again.

Wii U was obviously in trouble after the December NPD and PAL figures came out.

Can't imagine Switch doing too much better based on its lineup, price & featureset, but Zelda into MK8 port should make it a little stronger.

It's Wii U all over again, however there we actually had a great launch imo. I'm cancelling my pre-order and wait for at least a year and a price drop before touching this lol.

I don't understand why they think that double downing on all the gimmicks of the Wii and Wii U and cramming them into an ergonomic nightmare with outdated specs at current gen prices is going to be a big success?

I just don't understand why Nintendo do this, they are sitting on such immense value in their IPs and they keep wasting it like this... It's so disappointing :(

Mr T.

Banned
$50 appears to be a breaking point for gamers.

I expected $300, the leaks gave me hope. Was slightly disappointed when I saw the 299.99, but the earlier then expected release date (3/3/2017) and Zelda being a launch title made me throw money at my screen.

Didn't it say 2-6 hours in the conference? But it makes sense for games to lower the battery life.

For games like Zelda that you actually want to play it's going to be closer to the low end. If you want to game for 6 hours it looks like you are going to be limited to something like 1, 2, Switch. At that point you'd be better off just playing some free-to-play game on your phone.

I'll be waiting a bit on this one. They're trying to create this hybrid market but I'm worried the hybrid concept will excite too few, that it fails to excite home consoles buyers, and is too expensive for handheld buyers to buy into early especially after the 3DS came out at $250 and did poorly. I imagine a lot of Wii U owners will want to adopt a wait and see approach rather than early adopt.

AzaK

NINTENDO IS ARROGANT!

The only launch game that really matters is Zelda.

$300 for a console that has WiiU graphics (Hello, Nintendo, $300 is a PS4!!!)

Expensive as f*** accessories/controllers.

Ass quality presentation...

I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with this company.

They still think they have such mindshare that they can demand premium pricing. All they need to do is find the right angle for a certain audience (Unsophisticated casuals) and they can charge premium prices.

RowdyReverb

I really wish they had made some mention of Virtual Console on the Switch. No doubt it's coming, but it would surely bolster the launch library
That price is too high for what you get.
I'm not sure I agree with you here, assuming that portability is something interesting to you. It's less than an iPad or laptops capable of gaming with similar quality, it includes a fancy pair of controllers and a dock, and has Nintendo first party support.
Compared to Sony or MS's offerings though, and if home console gaming is your priority, I could see your argument

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I honestly expected the switch to thrust nintendo back to the front... now I'm not sure. They may start out strong, but damn if there isn't a lot to dislike here. the console and accessories are far too expensive for what they are, the 3rd party support doesn't seem like it's there judging by the launch lineup and projected titles by year end, the paid online is a joke, not to mention the consolation "free nes or snes game!". This is a misfire on all fronts IMO.

azyless

Everything just seems too expensive tbh, and now I'd need to pay a subscription to play Splatoon or Monster Hunter online ? I can't really justify the price, specially since I've been looking at buying a PS4 for a while now.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this will tank.

With the PS4 Pro recently out and smashing sales - the Xbox one S recently out and doing not so great in comparison - the scorpio out this year.....

I'd like to be wrong because I do like Nintendo but yeah I see this being an unsuccessful venture.

Also - from speaking to friends and stuff it's amazing how many didn't even know this was coming out - like announcement a couple months back to being out in a couple months.... not like enough to build real hype.

The thing is, I already own a 3DS and I'm really happy with it and Nintendo are still churning out games I'll buy.

What incentive do I really have to spend full console prices on something that is being marketed as a tablet you can also use on a big screen?

I'm not bashing anyone who's ordered one because spend what you want but I just don't think it'll succeed.

The cost of the joy controllers, the pro controller, the dock... Everything costs too much.

They fucked up again. What happened to the days of making 4 player play affordable?

And it costs more than Xbox One and PS4. Only way you can consider a purchase is for the Nintendo games alone, or for the portability (if that's something you see yourself doing).

They're trying to get the mass appeal with that 1 2 switch game, don't see it happening.

reKon

Banned
Damn...

Thinking about this, Sony is really in an excellent position. My assumption is that Scorpio will be aiming for a price of $399. Sony will be able to make there move and have a lot of flexibility here. Everyone is going to hoping for that $299 price point on the Pro, but those huge kind of price cuts rarely happen. I think it's more likely to be a $50 cut resulting in some insane $350 bundles.

This would mean a lot of trouble for Nintendo if they are going to try to maintain a consistent price point like what was done with the Wii U. Then there's also the PS4 Slim which will always be $100 less than the Pro, so you would already have a cheaper, more powerful console, with relatively more storage for digital games, with a much bigger library that has cheaper games ...

If Sony goes for the throat and does the crazy, the putting Pro at $299 and Slim at $199 with a bundle, Xbox One S would definitely match the $299 price and Nintendo would probably be fucked.

Black Friday is going to be fun.

Okay yeah. The PS4 Pro will definitely be hitting the $299 price point at some places and Amazon will just price match:
https://slickdeals.net/f/9446575-1t...40-or-323-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Nintendo is going to HAVE to price cut by at least $50. Going against a $199 PS4 Slim is going to be fucking hard. $299 and they are completely fucked.

Ragona

They still think they have such mindshare that they can demand premium pricing. All they need to do is find the right angle for a certain audience (Unsophisticated casuals) and they can charge premium prices.

Like I said before, Iam still not sure what audience Nintendo is targeting at. 300+ is way too expensive to be a casual impulse purchase.
The people that would pay that are dedicated gamers that usually are quite well informed and those are turned off by the aweful launch lineup, weak battery, weak hardware and way overpriced accessories.

The only group I see being pleased is the hardcore Nintendo crowd, which already didnt work out with the Wii-U.
And now it seems they top all that by creating artificial demand with low supplies at launch.

Sorry but Nintendo acts like they are market leader and can push their shit just like Microsoft did with their launch.

Lionheart

Man, I was so set on getting another Nintendo console after the GameCube... € 329-349 plus pro controller (€ 69?) plus 256 gb storage (€ 100+). AND no free online... Which I don't use much, but still... No trophies (at least not confirmed) and the shitty 'free monthly game'... Seriously Nintendo? Nope, sorry.

Plus, the worst part is probably that there's so much crap in the base package and I don't see the mass market appeal, so we could perhaps expect the same price strategy as the Wii U: as in there's no strategy, the price will stay high forever.

Durante

I'm not sure I agree with you here, assuming that portability is something interesting to you. It's less than an iPad or laptops capable of gaming with similar quality, it includes a fancy pair of controllers and a dock, and has Nintendo first party support.
I'm simply looking at the hardware you get, and the value is not there.

Add an online gaming fee on top of that and it's an unacceptable proposition.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Id forgotten about the VC. They could have done something to bolster their value proposition and earn some good will by having their VC sorted out but Nintendo gon Nintendo.

Jesus Christ their heads are up their asses.

Did we watch the same presentation? This isn't a 3DS successor.
Yeah, the 3DS market isn't going to jump onto this anytime soon, it's too expensive and too big and unwieldy to replace the 3DS as their portable system. It's going to need deep price cuts or more likely a new smaller version before that happens.
After seeing the launch plans, I'd be shocked if the next Pokémon game isn't also on 3DS now, they're not going to lose all those portable sales. The only way I could see this not happening is if a smaller portable version is launching this time next year.

kungfuian

Feels like a miss for me. I can't see this as doing well in the market beyond the normal Nintendo Fans (say 20 million of them). Nothing about it screams mass market to me. Definitely not in the same way Wii did leading up to launch. I was actually excited for that product!

For starters the presentation was horrible. I don't know where to begin. When comparing it to something like the PS4 announce it just feels amateurish. Just such a lack of clarity in the messaging, so much missing information, and just a lack of conveying why it's supposed to be special and the overall vision for the product.

Price wise it seems like a miss too. Hate to haggle over $50 bucks but I can't see this as being considered more/equally valuable to a PS4 to the average consumer. Sure they are different products because the Switch is also supposed to be a mobile, but then again it really isn't because the battery life is horrible! How does Nintendo plan on selling a hybrid with such limited portable functionality?

Add in the paid online plan bit, which is crazy, especially since they obviously haven't built it out yet. While I don't like it, I get paying for Microsoft and Sony's services because they are actually modern robust online platforms. But Nintendo has an awful (archaic) online service and I can't imagine people being willing to pay for it. What are they thinking?

Which brings me to the line Up. This is their strong suit and yet it just seems like every Nintendo system before it. A few Amazing must have games shown. Problem is this isn't new. Nintendo has always had a few Amazing must have games. But you know they will spread them out like they always do, and the remaining 3rd party support seems worse than ever. Add in that the only absolute must have game beside Mario (looks fantastic) is Zelda (looks incredible) and that is also on WiiU which means I don't have to give Switch a second thought until fall.

Seriously I Just Don't know. I love them as game makers but this just feels like every Nintendo system ever; a Nintendo content delivery platform and nothing more. I feel like the impulse range for me to have access to Nintendo content is about $200. But other than that I'll continue to get my games on PS4 and Steam. Might sit on this system for a few years until they build up a nice library at which point I'll get my Nintendo fix.

I mean... I will buy it. It looks genuinely cool.

But considering I bought my Xbox One for $300 with Halo 5 and MCC... This is not a great value proposition... Makes me really sad.

AzaK

This thing is a flop in the making. I honestly don't know they're thinking with this. It's fucking mindboggling.

It's shit but I won't say it's a flop yet because, well, Nintendo aren't trying to sell us a console. They're trying to sell the mainstream a fun quirky gaming machine and the handheld gamers the next silly japanese gaming machine.

And people mocked me for thinking the conference was going to be bad.

n0razi

I'm so confused.

Is this basically a WiiU slim? How is this a new console? What is the power like in comparison?

I really don't get it....

You get the best of both worlds... Wii u power in a portable package that has 3ds battery life

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's really the pricing of the console + accessories that are just... ugh. Very disappointing.

Choomp

Banned
I really hope they just put that presentation together poorly, because once they first showed this thing in October it seemed like Nintendo was really starting to understand. After that it feels like they don't get it like I thought they did, I'm pretty discouraged rn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom