• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg

Waking up in The Netherlands. What the fck is up with the price? And holy shit at the prices for the extra things.

Just insane

Those prices mean a hard pass for me. Will check back in on it mid-2018.

And also: where the fuck your 1080p gaming, Nintendo? It's 2017, get with the times.

Hydrargyrus

So, what is the real price in Europe?.

I've seen 340€ in France and 330€ in Italy...

I'm gonna pass, this doen't look good at all

Alchemy

$300 and not even using fucking Pascal chips is legit blowing my mind. And $80 for another pair of joycon is super fucked. I can't see this thing being a massive success the way its priced.

The lack of Virtual Console info was just deflating...

The presentation had some highs, but it was mostly confusing lows. Wtf Nintendo.

Man this system isn't getting any love on the internetz. I think it's there best system since the super Nintendo. That being said it doesn't help you when your games you show look really bad. Skyrim isn't even up to the level of the remaster and over half your games already came out on other platforms. To top it off all the coolest third party games arnt even comming to switch. Resident evil, battlefront,mass effect. All the cool games that are already out for the competion like witcher 3 and fall out. Then the actual system exclusives for ps4 and x1. Overpriced controllers and docka. But hey they have splatoon 2 and Zelda. This is nintendos fault for not releasing powerful hardware and counting major third party support but hey they don't need to I guess since there loyal fan base will eat whatever crap they put out

Footos22

£279 lol. This isn't gonna sell well at all in the UK. Especially woth that God awful launch lineup. Is zelda even a launch title in the UK? O
If not. Wow. They gone and fucked it up.

I am shocked how bad this is...like there was barely any third party presence at all, devs are clearly not on board. The lineup is embarassing for a console launch, the hardware is overpriced, as are accessories. Online features not ready for launch WTF? Disaster.

Honestly if you were a dev, why would you care about this thing..

$300??? WTF 2.5 hours battery life!? Hahahahaha. Only zelda at launch (and it's on Wii u)??? Man, this is way worse than I thought. No way I'm jumping in. Just wish I didn't trade in my Wii U cuz I'll probably never play that awesome new Zelda game now. Good luck Nintendo.

So $300 with no game and no normal controller and no Mario til the holidays. There's Zelda which is great except I've already got a Wii U.

I bought my PS4 with Uncharted 4 for $85 less than that.

Nintendo fucked up. Again.

I'll probably get one when I can get it with Mario. Jeez.

They either need to immediately drop the price to $250 or at the very least pack in a game with it. Wtf are they thinking?

The only saving grace I see is that it's tax refund time in the U.S.

alt27

Looks to me like this will do WiiU numbers.

Im going to be one of the suckers buying at launch as wife wants it for her birthday.

Guys, no idea how this works. Does MSRP implies that the price can be higher? Are console prices always MSRP?

Yeah, MSRP is the price. Shady retailers like GameStop may slap together a bundle to jack up the price, but that's about it. There won't (or rather, shouldn't) be a retailer that jacks up the price just for the hell of it.

janoDX

The problem I have here is the Launch Date, I would have put it in April with the launch of MK8dx, and also throw the launch of Zelda there.

You have 2 games worth to buy and one of them can be tested on the new online infrastructure of Nintendo.

DavidDesu

Anyone think we'll see portable only and console only versions of the Switch down the line? There's people who will only ever want Switch as a home console, so a box with HDD, no screen, and just a regular Pro Controller would be a great proposition, and could be brought in for a significantly cheaper price.

And I can guarantee that in 2/3 years we'll get the Switch shrunk down into a more manageable handheld, minus removable joycons, just meant for one player portability. I hope we do..

GRaider81

£279 lol. This isn't gonna sell well at all in the UK. Especially woth that God awful launch lineup. Is zelda even a launch title in the UK? O
If not. Wow. They gone and fucked it up.

Yep I had it preordered immediately basically because it's new. Once sense caught up over excitement I cancelled. Not enough launch titles and way too much.

I want to support Nintendo more than the other two but I think I'm coming to the realisation consoles just aren't for me anymore.

Maybe my kids will convince me once Mario comes out.

Zen Aku

For $300 they should have included 1,2 Switch or some sports compilation title like the Wii did.

That would at least make it so that you have something to play without having to shell out another $50-60 for a game. Extra Joycon should only be $40-50 at most, not $80. That's ridiculous.

This went from being a day 1 purchase for me at $250 to maybe Holidays $250 Zelda bundle and worst case scenario? Probably waiting for a Switch v2 with improved battery life in 2 years.

Guerrilla

For $300 they should have included 1,2 Switch or some sports compilation title like the Wii did.

That would at least make it so that you have something to play without having to shell out another $50-60 for a game.

This went from being a day 1 purchase for me at $250 to maybe Holidays $250 Zelda bundle and worst case scenario? Probably waiting for a Switch v2 with improved battery life in 2 years.

Do we know yet if 1 2 switch will be a full priced title? That game seems super small

reKon

Banned
So $300 with no game and no normal controller and no Mario til the holidays. There's Zelda which is great except I've already got a Wii U.

I bought my PS4 with Uncharted 4 for $85 less than that.

Nintendo fucked up. Again.

I'll probably get one when I can get it with Mario. Jeez.

They either need to immediately drop the price to $250 or at the very least pack in a game with it. Wtf are they thinking?

The only saving grace I see is that it's tax refund time in the U.S.

This. I really have no idea why I preordered the more I think about. There's just really no rush because there will be more stock by the holidays and price will have to go down other wise it will be absolutely fucking slaughtered. I just want Smash Bros anyways..

Zen Aku

Do we know yet if 1 2 switch will be a full priced title? That game seems super small

I don't think they announced a price yet. It would probably be a $20-30 game. Anything more and no one will buy it. Not for a party game people will drop after a couple months.

Man, they didn't even say anything about a Pokemon game. Pokemon and Zelda as launch titles would have been huge.

Edit: is that really the price of 1,2 Switch? Yeah kthxbye Nintendo with your pricing.

Ahiko

Neo Member
I don't understand why they think that double downing on all the gimmicks of the Wii and Wii U and cramming them into an ergonomic nightmare with outdated specs at current gen prices is going to be a big success?

I just don't understand why Nintendo do this, they are sitting on such immense value in their IPs and they keep wasting it like this... It's so disappointing :(

Specs have been a poor predictor historically for console succes. They need games to sell their console. New and fun experiences that attract not only gamers, but the mass market as well. The recent endeavours into the mobile market really reinforced their branding with Pokemon Go and Super Mario Run. However, there are no Mario or Pokemon releasing in the first months and that momentum is going to drop significantly when they wait too long. I do believe that unifying their development studios will give us more games than when the Wii U and 3DS were split, but it's not showing here. Hopefully they will surprise us with some more amazing games releasing in 2017.

The gimmicks... Who thought it would be good after the Wii AND the Wii U to keep doubling down on that? I'm definitely not hyped about that lol, Pro controller support should be good.

Anyone think we'll see portable only and console only versions of the Switch down the line? There's people who will only ever want Switch as a home console, so a box with HDD, no screen, and just a regular Pro Controller would be a great proposition, and could be brought in for a significantly cheaper price.

And I can guarantee that in 2/3 years we'll get the Switch shrunk down into a more manageable handheld, minus removable joycons, just meant for one player portability. I hope we do..

That's would be the sensible thing to do, but expecting Nintendo to do the sensible thing seems to be a fool's errand at this point. After all the sensible thing to do would have been to not repeat all the mistakes that made the Wii U a failure. I'm guessing that there is no one at Nintendo who can, or wants to, speak truth to power.

18-Volt

They're basically cashing in on Launch day hype, it's pretty normal. I'm sure by fall they'll have another SKU at $229-249 with dumb Joy-Cons that have no other capabilities. Just in time for Pokémon launch.

gimmmick

300? lol

Imagine being a parent and wanting to buy a console for their kids. Go with a ps4 with uncharted 4 for 250 or as a stand alone for 300. Good luck with that nintendo.

That's what a sane Nintendo would have released at launch. This is not that Nintendo.

Imagine how much better of a handheld they could have released if it wasn't saddled with those bafflingly complicated and laughably underutilized joy-cons? Bigger battery, more compact construction, potentially smaller bezel....

Birathen

What Price was the Ps4 launched at?

Any Word om backwards compability with WiiU pro controller and Wii motes? I will throw Up but still buy if all my old controllers went obsolete over night.

Those launch titles are looking beyond depressing. I definitely won't be buying it until it gets a good library of exclusives. Which might take many years, it seems.

nullcorp

Neo Member
I expected it at that price, problem is that lineup looks like a complete joke. Absolutely nothing worth playing for several months (and I can play Zelda on the Wii U).

Yeah, $300 means that the Switch is competing directly with the PS4 and Xbone, a contest it will almost certainly lose. Especially considering the Switch's poor launch lineup and the PS4/XB1's tendency to be sold cheaper than RRP with free games.

So, yeah. When does the Ambassador Program 2 start?

reKon

Banned
Comparing the Wii U page to everything that has happened today is quite interesting:

From Wikipedia:

The Wii U was met with a generally positive reception; praising its GamePad controller, improvements to online functionality over the Wii, backwards compatibility with existing Wii software and controllers, affordability in comparison to other eighth-generation consoles, and non-reliance on a subscription for online functionality, while criticizing the GamePad's battery life and issues with the console's user interface and functionality, along with a weak lineup of launch titles and a lack of purpose. The Wii U was met with slow consumer adoption, with low sales primarily credited to a weak lineup of launch titles[11] and third-party support,[12] and marketing reasons.[13]

Yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom