• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

havok75

Nintendo right now:
cxXFvAM.gif

BWAHAHAHA WTF is that lol, I missed the reveal.

Zen Aku

In a brighter timeline we would have gotten these.

Nintendo Switch $250
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both as launch titles.

Nintendo Switch Green Limited Edition $300 (with Breath of the Wild)

Nintendo Switch Red Limited Edition $300 (with Super Mario Odyssey)

Coming Summer 2017
Nintendo Switch Galaxy Limited Edition $300 (with Pokemon Stars)

Multiplayer will be free, but pro membership will be $50 a year which will come with 5 free games a year and special discounts.

Last but not least. All 3DS games are compatible with the Nintendo Switch.

+ Zelda and Mario
+ Price is okay if a little more than expected

- Not enough new games
- Too many re-releases
- Underpowered
- Paying for online (and sub-par online features I'm sure)
- Peripherals seem to be too expensive

At this point I'm looking to pay £279 to play TWO games in 2017.

Nintendo have really fucking lost it lately and I hate it. The Wii U has been barren for ages now - why the hell aren't there 6-8 amazing games launching within the first few months of the system?

Just go third party Nintendo. And I hate to say that. :'(

GlamFM

Banned
Yeah, $300 means that the Switch is competing directly with the PS4 and Xbone, a contest it will almost certainly lose. Especially considering the Switch's poor launch lineup and the PS4/XB1's tendency to be sold cheaper than RRP with free games.

So, yeah. When does the Ambassador Program 2 start?

It´s absolutely not competing with the PS4 and the XBONE.

As always with Nintendo products it´s the platform to play Nintendo games with and in that regard it has no competition.

The amount of hyperbole bullshit in this thread is not surprising, but still disappointing.

Arms is $60 USD.
This is just unbelievable. During the XB1 launch I knew the console was going to be in trouble because of its price and feature set, but that was on a normal curve of bombing in relation to the PS4. The Switch will need whole different scale of suckitude to chart its lack of success.

I love Nintendo but woke up this morning to see £279 for the Switch £60 for games here in the UK. Ouch, I'm disappointed.

The best thing is its coming out March 3rd and Zelda looks amazing.

Well this launch has been a joyous success from my perspective.

Failure is now assured at WiiU levels at this price point, which means the day is now much,much closer to when the only thing that is still relevant about Nintendo, their IP's, make their way onto Sony & Microsoft hardware.

..this thing will be dead in less than three years.

Miracle

You know what would have sold me on this console? Despite how underpowered as hell it is, high price, paid online, and it's lackluster launch lineup?

If it were able to play 3DS games. Something that simple on this console would make turn this into a no buy from me into a day 0 pre order. I imagine I'm not the only one either.

Zen Aku

I don't have a 3DS, but does it get 2.5 hours on a charge? Because that's what Nintendo is quoting based on BotW play.

My original 3DS XL last about 3 hours nonstop on Pokemon Sun with about half brightness and no wifi.

My New 3DS XL last about 4 hours with the same configuration. But I'm sure millage varies.

Edit: yeah being able to play 3DS games would have made this $300 price tag worth it.

Something about this seems wrong, the delivery makes it seem like Nintendo doesn't even want this thing to sell. I can't believe they'd mess up on so many levels, and if the current lineup is all there is until E3, then wow, wtf has Nintendo been doing for so long.

GlamFM

Banned
I can see Nintendo selling a $199 version of switch without the dock and other accessories.

I can´t see them selling the thing without the dock ever.

Given that the dock is basically nothing more then a fancy charger I doubt that taking this thing out will lower the price by 100$.

Jezbollah

I love Nintendo but woke up this morning to see £279 for the Switch £60 for games here in the UK. Ouch, I'm disappointed.

The best thing is its coming out March 3rd and Zelda looks amazing.

The games won't be £60 for long.. However given Nintendo's production strategy I wouldn't be surprised if they artificially hamstring production of both hardware and software to drive up demand and desirability to make people buy the console and accessories at full price.

Given mobile gaming on IOS/Android, and the fact Switch is more expensive than a PS4, I do not see this being a rip-roaring initial success beyond the most hardened Nintendo fans who would buy this console regardless of it's price.

Good luck to them in challenging the established portable gaming establishment with this product. They're going to need it.

tmespe

As always with Nintendo products it´s the platform to play Nintendo games with and in that regard it has no competition.

The amount of hyperbole bullshit in this thread is not surprising, but still disappointing.
It's a dedicated games console. Of course it's competing with PS4 and Xbox, intentionally or not. They can not target only hardcore Nintendo fans. Look how that turned out for the Wii U. It's also competing with iPads with this pricing. Which makes it an even tougher sell for Nintendo imo.

Zen Aku

I feel like Nintendo is always playing catch-up with their consoles. First the Wii U with PS3 and Xbox 360. Now it's the Switch with PS4 and Xbox One.

Always one step behind the rest. If this console was more powerful, they might have been able to justify the price tag and maybe finally get on an even ground with Sony and Microsoft.

+ Zelda and Mario
+ Price is okay if a little more than expected

- Not enough new games
- Too many re-releases
- Underpowered
- Paying for online (and sub-par online features I'm sure)
- Peripherals seem to be too expensive

At this point I'm looking to pay £279 to play TWO games in 2017.

Nintendo have really fucking lost it lately and I hate it. The Wii U has been barren for ages now - why the hell aren't there 6-8 amazing games launching within the first few months of the system?

Just go third party Nintendo. And I hate to say that. :'(

Really can't get this kinda post, tbh

They just showcase their launch line-up.

The thing seems amazing to me. Switch's first year will probably end up being one of the best in the company's history, hardware-wise.

Zelda, Pokémon, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Xenoblade 2, maybe Smash Bros (?), Super Bomberman, Sonic, Dragon Quest X and XI(?), bunch of RPGs, ARMS...

I mean, what console would you say had a better first year?

Nintendo fucked IP the price, though.

tmespe

Why exactly are people complaining about paid subs when Xbox does it?
Nobody likes paying for plus or live, but at least those services offer a lot more than Nintendo has put forward. With Nintendos online track record, a lot of people are sceptical that the service will be worth paying for.

Yes! It's only 350€ on AmazonFR

Although I also saw 330€ somewhere
50 Euro more, and you can get a PS4 pro.

This will be a steep battle for Nintendo.

Well. How good was Nintendo free online? How good was Sony free online before it changed to monthly sub based?
Good enough for having an online match of Mario Kart. That's all I ever wanted out of it.

groansey

Well this launch has been a joyous success from my perspective.

Failure is now assured at WiiU levels at this price point, which means the day is now much,much closer to when the only thing that is still relevant about Nintendo, their IP's, make their way onto Sony & Microsoft hardware.

..this thing will be dead in less than three years.

Totally agree.

It's astronomically overpriced for what it is, especially in the UK. This thing may even chart lower than WiiU at launch.

Antagon

Seriously, it feels like Nintendo thinks that they're still seen as a 'premium' brand. They're not.

Come on Nintendo, if you want some success eat the cost, pack in Zelda and use a bigger battery. In that case 300 Euros would be ok. Also, accessories are way too expensive. Joycons and pro controller should be 50 euros at most if you ask me. If they're too expensive to manufacture, then introduce a more affordable version without some features like 'HD rumble' and NFC.

Also, didn't you plan to consolidate both console and portable game development? Why didn't you announce something like a new Advance Wars?

Bishop89

Really can't get this kinda post, tbh

They just showcase their launch line-up.

The thing seems amazing to me. Switch's first year will probably end up being one of the best in the company's history, hardware-wise.

Zelda, Pokémon, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Xenoblade 2, maybe Smash Bros (?), Super Bomberman, Sonic, Dragon Quest X and XI(?), bunch of RPGs, ARMS...

I mean, what console would you say had a better first year?
Any, because you know, FULL 3rd party support.

GlamFM

Banned
It's a dedicated games console. Of course it's competing with PS4 and Xbox, intentionally or not. They can not target only hardcore Nintendo fans. Look how that turned out for the Wii U. It's also competing with iPads with this pricing. Which makes it an even tougher sell for Nintendo imo.

Garbage.

Saying that a Nintendo product is competing with a PS4 or any other console is like saying that my toaster is competing with my blender.

Zaru

Why exactly are people complaining about paid subs when Xbox does it?

Uh
Something else already having an annoying aspect does not mean you should instantly accept the same annoyance with another thing

"Why exactly are people complaining about data caps when Comcast does it?"

Companies will get away with as much as shit as they can. Always.

So how will they ever gain traction in the market?

Older fans can buy as a second console to fufil their Nintendo / nostalgia needs.

Younger players arent getting a second console, and getting a Nintendo console as your one platform means you will miss out on the big AAA titles.

With that in mind, Nintendo will never regain significant market share ... they are simply doubling down on fan service and circling the drain with regards to market share.

GlamFM

Banned
So how will they ever gain traction in the market?

Older fans can buy as a second console to fufil their Nintendo / nostalgia needs.

Younger players arent getting a second console, and getting a Nintendo console as your one platform means you will miss out on the big AAA titles.

With that in mind, Nintendo will never regain significant market share ... they are simply doubling down on fan service and circling the drain with regards to market share.

Worked just fine for the OG Wii and the 3DS though.

Garbage.
Saying that a Nintendo product is competing with a PS4 or any other console is like saying that my toaster is competing with my blender.

Hey, if you like it, great. Enjoy it while it lasts.

It's just their won't be nearly enough people like you out there to keep this thing from irrelevance and yet another market failure.

Plo

Neo Member
So it's almost 500 coins for the full package? I guess I won't be getting one right away...

Yeah it's like PS4Pro + Overpriced ebay NES classic

I guess I should, yeah. Ridiculous price. Especially since I'd be wanting the Pro controller on top. + Zelda. (If I'd buy it on launch, which I won't)

50 Euro more, and you can get a PS4 pro.

This will be a steep battle for Nintendo.

Good enough for having an online match of Mario Kart. That's all I ever wanted out of it.

At least Microsoft has been warning us about the price of scorpoo saying it's a more expensive product so people won't be pblowpn away. Wish nintendo give us a heads up onow the price of all this

tmespe

Garbage.

Garbage comparison.

It's a dedicated games console. It has the same main function, playing games. You live in a fantasy world if you think otherwise. Nintendo games are still games, however much you think they are special.

jimboton

Anyone think we'll see portable only and console only versions of the Switch down the line? There's people who will only ever want Switch as a home console, so a box with HDD, no screen, and just a regular Pro Controller would be a great proposition, and could be brought in for a significantly cheaper price.

And I can guarantee that in 2/3 years we'll get the Switch shrunk down into a more manageable handheld, minus removable joycons, just meant for one player portability. I hope we do..

Yeah, they need to do a Xbox One style 180 on all the gimmicks, and fast, so they can bring down the price to sane territory.

The way things are now Zelda and/or Mario will need to be downright amazing for me to consider this. Like, Majora's Mask and Mario 64 amazing.

*Splinter

At least you'll be playing some great Nintendo games. The way Sony shutting down studios, there is no guarantee that you will be play Sony games on a Playstation hardware.
I'm as salty as anyone about the GGC shutdown, but I do honestly want to play some of Nintendo's games without having to buy their shitty hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom