• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked just fine for the OG Wii and the 3DS though.

Please, the Wii was a fad that caught on with the general consumer.

I guaruntee it wont happen again. Wii is an anomaly when you compare to Nintendo home console sales ... Wii U actually fit the trend nicely.

Handhelds are going the way of the dodo ... mobile phones and tablets are slowly making it irrelevant.

Also 3DS numbers are way down on the DS.

Raylan

Banned
Lol biggest nope ever. Nintendo has lost their goddam mind. I'll pick up Breath of the Wild on my Wii U.

Switch and BulletBall will be a thing. It will happen! Just wait!!!!!!1

bulletball-o.gif

At least Microsoft has been warning us about the price of scorpoo saying it's a more expensive product so people won't be pblowpn away. Wish nintendo give us a heads up onow the price of all this

? It's $300, games are $60.

Controllers for gimmicky crap probably raised the cost of the units substantially. Personally I could have gone without this

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vWDRRVEZLSC5naWYifQ.-PTTHXoPUoxKcw-D38ShPhAlELk

and the motion controls, sensors etc in order to get a unit closer to $200.

Switch and BulletBall will be a thing. It will happen! Just wait!!!!!!1

bulletball-o.gif

This reference... So sad and yet, I can't help but laugh.

Garbage.

Saying that a Nintendo product is competing with a PS4 or any other console is like saying that my toaster is competing with my blender.

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

Really looking forward to how this pans out. The 2 million units at launch/till end of march will sell out quickly, even *if* it is just fanboys. After that, important releases like Mario Kart 8 that came too late for the WiiU come monthly at least (we still don't know what's up with Smash Bros or even Mario Maker).
If Pokémon Stars is announced at E3 and comes out 12 months after Sun/Moon, I am betting that Switch will already have outsold WiiU lifetime by March 2018. This may still mean relatively little if Nintendo aimed higher, but I am confident that some doomsayers here will make some nice wall-of-shame posts.

tmespe

Controllers for gimmicky crap probably raised the cost of the units substantially. Personally I could have gone without this

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vWDRRVEZLSC5naWYifQ.-PTTHXoPUoxKcw-D38ShPhAlELk

50$ to pretend you're eating a burger and milking a cow.

catmincer

I wish they just went with a cheap controller and if you want motion stuff you can use a Wiimote. People have them lying around being unused already.

This reference... So sad and yet, I can't help but laugh.

WHAT GAME IS THAT? Looks like Wario Ware!

Lanf

The Switch replaces the Wii U and the 3DS by merging the worst parts of both consoles. It's an atrociously under-powered home console, and a prohibitively expensive handheld in a market that simply doesn't buy them. $250.00, even with a solid launch line up, was already a rough value proposition for the Switch. $300.00, with their biggest launch title not even a system exclusive, is borderline egregious.

After it crash and burns, it'll get a price cut. $199 by Holiday 2017.

Yep, this sums it up.

Franz Brötchen;228247068 said:
Possibly hilarious majority GAF failure to understand how the actual world may react to the Nintendo Switch? I agree.

And I'm sure you will make an accurate prediction right now? Let's hear it!

watershed

Banned
Nintendo is greedy as hell with these prices. the pro controller and the dock in particular are insane. The dock should be 50 max. Its basically a plastic shell.

Doczu

Nintendo sold the Wii U at a loss, which prohibited price competition, and they quickly realised no one would buy a dead console at any price. A price cut couldn't save the Wii U. Nintendo also had the 3DS powering along, mitigating the Wii U's dismal performance.

The Switch replaces the Wii U and the 3DS by merging the worst parts of both consoles. It's an atrociously under-powered home console, and a prohibitively expensive handheld in a market that simply doesn't buy them. $250.00, even with a solid launch line up, was already a rough value proposition for the Switch. $300.00, with their biggest launch title not even a system exclusive, is borderline egregious.

After it crash and burns, it'll get a price cut. $199 by Holiday 2017.
And for 199 i might get on.

Jindrax

So basically it doesn't do any of its to components greatly?
It's going to be a mediocre console, and a mediocre portable device.

Would have been open to it if it was cheaper tbh. I mean for the console plus game plus online it becomes pricy for what it is.

I think it will do great at launch thanks to Zelda, then it will go down after 2-3 months.. But I'm quite confident that it's gonna sell like crazy during the holidays thanks to Mario. This Mario game looks as good as Mario 64 back in the days. Mario will make this console successfull. The thing is, after that, I don't know what's left for 2018. It seems they're putting all the big IP's in 2017. Also it looks like 3rd party don't give much shit again sadly

Jumeira

Banned
Said this since reveal, there's a lot of unnecessary features Nintendo are getting people to pay for, it being a portable Wii U Controller is bad decision, seems to have compromised a lot visualally and driven up costs for those that have no intention of removing it from their home cinemas. It's ankther Wii U (which I felt was going to flop day one too), portable gaming in home console space isn't compelling for most gamers.

Fitts

$300, $70 for a controller I'd actually want to use, paid online, and an incredibly weak software lineup? I couldn't pass on this any harder.

Yukinari

Warioware would have been a better title and get more recognition than 1 2 Switch as well.

This makes it seem like a Wii Sports title.

Its funny cause i went back to play Twisted, which is my favorite entry, and all that was was using gyro built into the game pak already.

Dont understand why warioware wasnt the first thing to come to mind for the joycons HD rumble and sensor.

Albo

I feel like this is a wii u gamepad situation where I'm paying a lot more for an unnecessary feature I won't use. I wish there was a cheaper version with the console built in the dock and no handheld but yeah, that goes against the the name.

And I'm sure you will make an accurate prediction right now? Let's hear it!

Lovely, logical fallacies on top of it!
This IS exactly my point: How are people here so confident in predicting anything? If I did want to make a prediction, I'd indeed be just hypocritical.

But since you seem to want to hear something:
If (!) Pokemon Stars and/or Monster Hunter are releasing December 2017 at the latest, Switch will already outsell WiiU lifetime within 12 months. And this holds even if there is no price drop.
I am totally agreeing that there should be a pack-in game, either 1,2 Switch or one of the 3-4 WiiU ports/deluxe editions. But again, especially if Pokémon comes 2017, the price is not prohibitively high because such prices don't strictly exist. Always remember PS3! Consoles fail for more complex reasons than price.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I told you not to expect the price of a cheap handheld because it's neither cheap nor a pure handheld, but the addition of a very basic bundle(no dock for example) for 250 would have been better imo.

In any case i decided to wait to buy until simmetric joycons were released already at switch first reveal.

RulkezX

Franz Brötchen;228246786 said:

Really looking forward to how this pans out. The 2 million units at launch/till end of march will sell out quickly, even *if* it is just fanboys. After that, important releases like Mario Kart 8 that came too late for the WiiU come monthly at least (we still don't know what's up with Smash Bros or even Mario Maker).
If Pokémon Stars is announced at E3 and comes out 12 months after Sun/Moon, I am betting that Switch will already have outsold WiiU lifetime by March 2018. This may still mean relatively little if Nintendo aimed higher, but I am confident that some doomsayers here will make some nice wall-of-shame posts.

Sleep deprivation or drugs ?

Franz Brötchen;228247864 said:
This IS exactly my point: How are people here so confident in predicting anything? If I did want to make a prediction, I'd indeed be just hypocritical.

You are the one who was more than confident in predicting that the other predictions would turn out false.

I say the other predictions are likely to be true, because they are well reasoned. Not all predictions are equally good, you must explain why you think the other one's reasoning is false, if you disagree.

GlamFM

Banned
Franz Brötchen;228246786 said:

So ist es.

Spy

Franz Brötchen;228247864 said:

But since you seem to want to hear something:
If (!) Pokemon Stars and/or Monster Hunter are releasing December 2017 at the latest, Switch will already outsell WiiU lifetime within 12 months. And this holds even if there is no price drop.
I am totally agreeing that there should be a pack-in game, either 1,2 Switch or one of the 3-4 WiiU ports/deluxe editions. But again, especially if Pokémon comes 2017, the price is not prohibitively high because such prices don't strictly exist. Always remember PS3! Consoles fail for more complex reasons than price.
I remember when I was 15.

HotHamBoy

I need a D-Pad for fighting games, guys.

I mean, I prefer a stick but I at least need a D-Pad.

If I want to use a D-Pad on Switch it will cost me $70. And I still won't have one in portable mode.

First Nintendo console I'm not pre-ordering.

- What the fuck at the price? They didn't learn anything...like always.
- This launch line up is abysmal
- 32 GB, LOL
- Paid online...ahahahahahahaha

I'm out, I'm so out.

timshundo

I still can't believe how mad gaf got when I suggested that the switch will be as powerful as the Wii U a few months ago. "Oh yeah, you're just gonna go against threads and threads of people who actually know how GPUs work?! This is a NEW nintendo! They care about graphics now! PASCAL! 1TFLOP! GONNA GO THROUGH YOR POST HISTORY TO FIND SHIT TO USE AGAINST YOU!"

Every console launch! Now they're kicking and screaming. ded

azyless

Everything is just so expensive. 60€ games, 300€ (330€ even ??) console, 70/110€ controllers, 32GB storage making the purchase of an SD card obligatory if you wanna play digitally, 90€ for a dock that doesn't do anything, paid online services...
I've had every Nintendo system since the N64 but I can't justify paying for this when I could buy a PS4 for less. And I thought I'd be in the target demographics for the Switch since I move from house to house quite often so portability would have been a big deal. I'm disappointed :/

MilkBeard

Would eventually love to play Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler, Zelda, and check out Mario Odyssey...but this is too expensive, and with shitty storage options, they are putting a lot of obstacles in the way for me to buy one.

Maybe when the system is on sale down the road for much cheaper, I suppose.

The screen should have been sold separately as a different product.

$150-$200 for the console and joy cons, $150 for the screen pitched as a handheld device first with plug in functionality and another set of attached joy cons. Nintendo would have had two products with seamless integration.

I have no interest in taking it outside with me and I'm sure I am not alone.

The_Kid

Yet again I remember why I don't go on GAF during a Nintendo launch. Our tastes just never allign.

The Switch has me probably more hyped for games than anything in the last year.

watershed

Banned
First Nintendo console I'm not pre-ordering.

- What the fuck at the price? They didn't learn anything...like always.
- This launch line up is abysmal
- 32 GB, LOL
- Paid online...ahahahahahahaha

I'm out, I'm so out.

This is exactly my reaction except at the end I preordered both the console at Zelda and to be honest I'm more mad at myself than I am at Nintendo cuz I have fallen for their shit after successfully avoiding buying the WiiU.

Defect

Well I preordered the Switch at Best Buy, Amazon and Gamestop just in case of cancellations. I just want the Neon one. I also preordered The Zelda Master edition on Gamestop and the special on amazon.

Zen Aku

Its funny cause i went back to play Twisted, which is my favorite entry, and all that was was using gyro built into the game pak already.

Dont understand why warioware wasnt the first thing to come to mind for the joycons HD rumble and sensor.
I know people who would kill for a new Warioware game. Hopefully they're developing it. It would be a missed opportunity if they're not going to take advantage of their ice cube technology.

NEON or GREY!?

I need to know!
Grey, the red blue colors just too bright for my liking. Making it look like cheap plastic.

gdt

I'm ok with the price, but I'm an idiot with money to burn, I'm not sure how many other people will be. Especially the handheld crowd.

And I'm never paying for online.

I was a bit surprised coming to the forum after watching the presentation to see all the negativity. They did a great job of showing off what it can do, and as a person who is used to bringing my WiiU to places to play with others, I can totally see where this fits in my life. It's not going to replace my expensive PC for the "big game" experience, but I don't often have time to play at home and this will be great for those times.

Besides, the new Mario and Splatoon have me very interested, and we haven't even seen the 2D Mario yet! (Plz don't be like the other "new" games)

Occam

Nintendo is insane. It's amazing how resilient to learning this company is.
The initial failure of 3DS (due to its high price) apparently has taught them nothing.
The success of PlayStation 4 has taught them nothing.

The pricing of Switch hardware, peripherals and games is awful.
Mandatory paid online gaming that gives you one NES/SNES game a month for one month each... You've got to be kidding.

Good luck introducing a new (but technically weaker) system this way at a time when competing console systems cost about 250 units of currency, offer a library of thousands of games and have a combined install base of ~90 million (March 2017).
Yeah I know, blue ocean strategy. Hahah.

It takes a special kind of crazy to believe these game prices will attract kids who play smartphone games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom