• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Zelda looks and runs just as good on the WiiU, i will be waiting a year or two until the Switch is cheaper and actually has games.

Nintendo, you are digging your own grave. We all want you to do well but mannn..
Maybe you guys are taking too long over certain decisions? Dear lord. The launch lineup is sad as hell. The price is really high for something that just outputs a jaggy mess. The game have great art, but they are beng ruined. I feel sad for the artists working for Nintendo.
It's like making a photo for an exhibition only to find out they enlarged a small jpg of it.

I sound harsh but it's because i want Nintendo to do really well.

For the first time i think i might skip a Nintendo console launch. Sad as fuck.

Zelda looked EPIC though (aside from the jaggies).

It's gonna be the 3DS all over again. $250 would have been too high, $300 is absolutely bonkers.

eY4mlu1.jpg

Its not the same. The 3DS did not have a new Zelda game at launch. That alone will make it sell out at almost any price. They have enough games to coast until Xmas.

Then all they have to do is to do a pack in with 1 2 switch , or with Fifa at the same price.

King Kye

Banned
$300 for this tech is a straight joke. I get that Nintendo is in a tough position: you don't want the product to seem cheap in terms of quality when sitting next to the competition on the shelf. But this is basically a WiiU, a technology that they overcharged for during an entire generation.

I'd be shocked if they get away with this again. I don't think there's much of a market for this, especially at that price. Maybe, that's why it's priced the way it is.

As someone that grew up with Nintendo, I am firmly in the "lapsed Nintendo fan" category, and I don't see Switch doing anything to change that for me, or anyone like me. That awesome Zelda trailer will do nothing to get me to touch this thing, especially with that pricing.

Good luck to Nintendo, though. I think they'll definitely need it if they plan on staying in the console space.

This will likely be the first Nintendo console I skip wholesale, without even a modicum of regret.

I stand by what I said in October.

IMO, even $250 is too high, but it's a reasonable price in terms of compromising between real and perceived market value.

$300 is straight insulting.

Novocaine

This is a real bummer.

It's way too expensive, especially when it will not be getting AAA support in line with the other two systems. And it's way less powerful.

Only 32GB internal storage? Fuck off.

I'll be getting one when Animal Crossing comes out but I'm hoping by that time the price has dropped. And if I have to pay online subscription to visit other towns they better bloody well make it worth the price.

LinkNL

Neo Member
Is that a sudden weird racial turn at the end or are you just being literal and talking about Mario interacting with realistic humans?

Nothing racial about it, yeah im talking about mario in a realistic world surrounded with man and female walking around in office clothing, all looking the same!!!

when i saw the part with the jump roping i DIED from the inside :(

It just looked so boring to be honest.

Shares in Nintendo are down almost 6% at in trading on the Japanese markets, i guess we all know why.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just waking up to this news and watching the video announcement now. I was thinking about getting it at $250 or less. With the only game at launch worth buying being Zelda, Considering I haven't played a Zelda game since N64, this isn't a selling point for me anymore. I will definitely pass on this at this price and time. Christmas Bundles with Mario/Zelda would be the earliest for me.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
My fingers were ready to preorder at $250 but HELL NO! I'm not paying 400 Canadian $s + 15% tax for that. nintendo that's the a ridiculous price tag.

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm craving for a powerful handheld with good controller. (Don't like gpd or other devices like that. ). If I take the switch as a handheld (and 3h is more than enough for me ). I'm all in. For a home console it's just a bonus. A bit expensive but I'll take it.

Gamervana84

Unconfirmed Member
I've got every nintendo console and portable since the n64 from launch day, but there is no way I will be buying this. The presentation was a complete mess and there is no launch games apart from zelda and a clickingredients game.
I've never something lose so much support from reveal trailer to the presentation.
Why would I buy this over an xbox one or ps4 which I can get for alot cheaper.

SystemUser

I think paid online is the real DOA marker here...

What really surprises me about this thread is the amount of people that want to play Nintendo games online. Nintendo's online experience is so bad that I sersiously doubt that I would play any of their games online again. Also it is a portable system so I would need to tether it to my smart phone.

Don't most people just buy a Nintendo for Mario and Zelda? Mario Kart online has disappointed me every time. I never tried Smash online but that seems like the sort of game that is better on a couch. I never tried Splatoon does it have coop? What games do you guys plan on playing online on the Switch?

Godan

Pre ordered this morning on GAME. Was in two minds about it but after seeing the Zelda trailer i just had to get it. Missed out on the Wii U so looking forward to this. This will also be the first console i will get on launch day so that will be fun.

Mr Swine

Banned
I pre ordered a switch and honestly for the performance the handheld has $300 is not too shabby. Definitely better than it would have been if we got a Vita + handheld instead

Its not the same. The 3DS did not have a new Zelda game at launch. That alone will make it sell out at almost any price. They have enough games to coast until Xmas.

Then all they have to do is to do a pack in with 1 2 switch , or with Fifa at the same price.

No they don't...not even close, that lineup is thin as fuck.

dan2026

I feel like my hype for this thing has dropped through the floor and into the underworld.

Its too expensive for how low powered it is. And the launch lineup just seems dire.
Add in paid online and all that nonsense...

The one positive is that it is region free.

EVH

I feel like my hype for this thing has dropped through the floor and into the underworld.

Its too expensive for how low powered it is. And the launch lineup just seems dire.
And in paid online and all that nonsense...

The one positive is that it is region free.

Basically me. I continously feel that Nintendo should go third party already so we could just skip all their hardware, prices, power and online platform nonsense for once and for all.

Coffinhal

Nothing racial about it, yeah im talking about mario in a realistic world surrounded with man and female walking around in office clothing, all looking the same!!!

when i saw the part with the jump roping i DIED from the inside :(

It just looked so boring to be honest.

I remember reading the same posts after the first 3D world trailer, and we all know how great the game turned out to be

Also, try to use your brain/imagination in order to understand why Mario is in a typical NYC with typical 50s humans. He seems to explore worlds and be a stranger in them, thus the comic relief of the jump roping. It's not Grand Theft Mario. I'm glad they are doing Something different

50$ difference isn't much to me and after the Zelda trailer I'm in instant buy mode.

I only want it for Nintendo games anyway. Going to try for the Master edition of Breath of the Wild.

Taker666

Did they learn nothing with the 3DS/Wii U? That's more troubling than anything.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised..they doubled down on some of the Wii mistakes with 3DS and Wii U...they doubled down on some 3DS mistakes with the Wii U...and they seem to be doubling down on some of the Wii U mistakes with Switch (and adding a couple more for good measure)..

...I suppose we should just be happy they didn't call it the WiiDS....and at least they didn't flood it with Mii based games.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't know why Americans wouldn't buy it, 299 is reasonable.

I can only speak for myself, but I have a Scorpio purchase coming later this year that will be $499 I am assuming. I could handle a $250 or less purchase with a game. I can't handle a $300 without a game for a system I will hardly play. Its a priority and cost thing.

Gonna have to toss my hat in the "too high" ring.

For something thats almost undoubtedly going to be most peoples second console, thats just too much, especially adding paid online, for a console that is likely far behind current gen specs.

250 was my ceiling, and no I'm not gonna wait for a price drop. By then I'll likely be over it.

Switch.kill
ed

1 2 Switch should have been a pack-in at least, but then people would probably complain that there's no $250 version without it. Anyway, these prices are too high for me right now. I truly feel that Nintendo are taking advantage of their customers. It's not even the system price that bugs me the most, but the controller prices and the paid online. The Zelda Master Edition just laughs at me.

You can tell Kimi was a banker. He isn't taking a loss on this shit.

Merkunt

Pro controller sold separately, 32 GB Memory and a 300$ price?

I'm out.

Edit: Paid online? Nintendo must up their infrastructure big time.

nukedeggs

The price doesn't matter to me, I'm getting the Switch either way lol. I grew up with Nintendo and I'm gonna die with Nintendo dammit!

Edit: I'm probably the kind of person Nintendo is banking on with that price...

Duxxy3

I don't know why Americans wouldn't buy it, 299 is reasonable.

You can get a PS4 and XB1 for less than that. With a game packed in. And they both have monstrous libraries compared to the Switch. They're both more powerful than the switch and will get all third party support in the future. There's no chance of a game drought with them.

KorrZ

I saw the thread title just now and thought, wow, $300 that's a good price. I expected it to be at least $350.

Clearly NEOGAF had worked itself up into a frenzy before the announcement if this price seems unreasonable lol.

Speely

Banned
Pre-ordered!

299 is what I always assumed, and the 249 leaks were just nice (incorrect) surprises.

So hyped for day one BotW.

komorebi

You can get a PS4 and XB1 for less than that. With a game packed in. And they both have monstrous libraries compared to the Switch. They're both more powerful than the switch and will get all third party support in the future. There's no chance of a game drought with them.

Precisely zero chance Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, and PILOTWINGS come to the PS4 though

Pagusas

Elden Member
So to summarize:

No real specs, underpowered last gen hardware seems assured

Paid online

32gb storage onboard

Heavily aiming back at the Wii/waggle market

3 hours of battery life

No launch MARIO

$300

This is PS3 reveal levels of bad.

Status