• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Fuck, this is shaping up to be the Wii U all over again.

This thing is supposed to be the successor to BOTH 3DS and Wii U. I really thought they were going to have a killer launch lineup and an attractive price. There is so much riding on Switch. And Nintendo's output over the last couple years has been minimal, I thought for sure they were focusing all their effort on Switch games.

I'll still probably buy one but my feelings are really dampened after seeing the price and launch lineup.

thatJohann

With the the lack of games, I'm not gonna pay $300 to play Zelda. They must be crazy. $249 was pushing it. For that price I'll get a Xbox One S haha

For the hardware and no pack in game $300 is way too much. I'll wait till I can snag one for $250 with a game. Not to mention the battery life is disappointing. I still haven't purchased a Wii U because I waited around for a price drop that never came. I'll probably end up picking up a used one to play the dozen or so games I'm interested in. Gotta get my Bayonetta fix.

Check your spam or promotions folder. My Best Buy e-mails were sent to two separate sections of my inbox.

And ARMS. Don't sleep on that one.

That email I detailed earlier did show up in Promotions. Not seeing anything from Best Buy in spam. Hope I get it before night's end.

EDIT: I went back and looked at what the email process was for my Legend of Zelda Amiibo pre-orders from Best Buy, and the only email I ever received from Best Buy prior to the pickup ready notification was the same kind of email I got after I placed my pre-order... So it appears everything is in place for launch short of shipping/stocking errors on Best Buy's behalf. No longer worried one bit! "We've received your order but it's not ready yet" seems to be the only email I ever got before Best Buy sent me a follow up for my Zelda amiibos being ready for pickup on their launch day.

:)

Polarbear

Banned
The switch isn't ancient. It's pretty top of the line as far as mobile computing goes.

No it isn't, and they shouldn't be marketing it first as a home console and second as a mobile console if that's the angle. It should be priced and advertised primarily as a mobile console with everything we know about it TBH.

Its new. The Ps4 and Xbox One are 3 years old. For a new price and for what it is it is very competitive

Doesn't matter. It's tech is not new or cutting edge, even as a handheld, and as a home console the gap between it and a cheaper PS4 is absolutely massive.

Its new. The Ps4 and Xbox One are 3 years old. For a new price and for what it is it is very competitive
It's not. It's more expensive and has a shitty launch lineup. There's nothing in there that warrants me opening up my wallet for this system at launch. Especially after getting burned by the wii u (bought one at launch).

Snaku

Banned
So I stayed up till 3am, couldn't do it anymore, and Amazon put it up ten minutes later? Fuck you Amazon, and fuck you Nintendo.

I think this is the first major console reveal where I've gotten progressively less excited about something as they revealed more information about it.

Coffinhal

People scoffing at the Wii U ports must be forgetting that almost no one owns a Wii U. MK8 might as well be a new game.

It's not a bad thing, but

1) Why isn't it on launch ? The game sure is ready
2) I hope they are working on MK9, releasing Q4 2018 with new art, new concept etc because MK9 will replace MK7 & MK8

Matbtz

Yes maybe, since it is focused on one sport it may be more developped than Wii Sports but on the other hand idk if there diis an audience faor a motion gaming fighting game (I feel bad about the IA already haha). It could be the next Splatooon.

That's what I am seing, they try to make it the new splatoon. A multiplayer online focused game with easy to play but hard to master gameplay.

Hope to see a 3DS style price cut to buff up the sells if the switch doesn't sell...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm so disappointed.

This thing's going to be red hot! I told my wife and oldest daughter that preorders go up this morning and so they're going to head to Best Buy/GameStop this morning.

Now I have to text them to make sure they don't waste their time running out early to preorder a Switch. First off the price is well above the expected $249. At $300 I expected a game. The launch lineup is lousy. Not a single big Nintendo (or third party) name in there, and the next month is a port of Mariokart 8?? Mario doesn't even hit until the holidays??!!!

And they're following in Microsoft's and Sony's footsteps with paid online? Nintendo, the company whose fans proclaimed did online gaming right by keeping it free has gone to the dark side. One free NES or SNES game trial per month? Oh dear lol.

Unless Nintendo keeps quantities low, this will be another Wii U situation. You'll be able to walk into stores at launch to buy one if you choose, because the casuals aren't going to show up. No Mario at launch. I'm still surprised.

I'd be awfully pissed at myself if I sold/traded my Wii U to buy a Switch. Until Switch becomes a worthwhile purchase, I'll stick with the system that plays Mariokart 8 and Splatoon for free.

ironmang

Was ready to preorder at $250. $300, paid online, $60 games, expensive peripherals, 32gb, bad launch lineup.... basically everything they said was negative. I'll get Zelda for WiiU and perhaps buy a Switch in a couple years as an offline only machine if they release some compelling, Switch only single player titles.

But really I'm just hoping they make another true handheld so I can ignore their train wreck consoles altogether.

While I do think 250 would have been a better price, I don't really understand these complaints. "It costs as much as a PS4!" Um, the PS4 will be four years old this year, four years! The Switch is a new system and will eventually see a price drop down the line, like the PS4 already had to even get down to 300.

And then apparently it would have been a day one purchase for some at 250, but 300 is way too much? It's a difference of 50 bucks, come on...

Problem is, the PS4 and XBox One also contain superior hardware, lots of momentum, better online infrastructure, a plethora of high profile games, alot of third party support and cheaper accessories, but I already mentioned this earlier. Essentially, at the end of the day, it plays video games like the other competing machines, just in a slightly modified manner. Nintendo has to win back the consumers. Microsoft and Sony do not and they both have a strong foothold on the market. Again, I still think it should of been $200 or even $250 and even going remotely near $350 or $400 in any region is extremely dangerous. I am not saying the Switch isn't worth the $300 because imho it looks pretty cool, but from a consumer standpoint the competition is fierce, relentless and unforgiving and Nintendo needs the mainstream and casuals to truly survive.

Maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong, but this industry and market has changed considerably from what it used to be. Also, the Wii U proves that Nintendo most likely doesn't believe in price drops or losing money matter how far the sales are lagging so I wouldn't necessarily rely on a price drop in a decent time frame. Maybe a pack-in game at the most. Wii U still $300 even now? Why?

Sanctuary

I'll wait until November, when there will actually be more than two games I'd want to play on the system as well as a price drop. I already have a Wii U that's been rotting since day six, I don't really need a portable one right this second.

I'm still shocked people believed it would be less.

Considering the hours of entertainment I'll get out of this I'm definitely in. Maybe if I was still a child the extra $50 would upset me but really it's nothing.

It kind of is considering you can get a PS4 Slim for $300. How many people do you really think will be buying this because of its portability anyway; twenty, thirty percent at most, while the rest will use it as a convenience feature from time to time?

Polarbear

Banned
Was ready to preorder at $250. $300, paid online, $60 games, expensive peripherals, 32gb, bad launch lineup.... basically everything they said was negative. I'll get Zelda for WiiU and perhaps buy a Switch in a couple years as an offline only machine if they release some compelling, Switch only single player titles.

But really I'm just hoping they make another true handheld so I can ignore their train wreck consoles altogether.

No way they're making another handheld, that would basically be declaring the Switch a failure

retrobeans

Neo Member

Considering the hours of entertainment I'll get out of this I'm definitely in. Maybe if I was still a child the extra $50 would upset me but really it's nothing.

diaspora

Hours of entertainment? Most of the year will just have Zelda.

Zen Aku

I love the "but I'm not a child" line. It never gets old.

oneils

This thing is probably dead in Canada. After buying a controller, sd card, and online, you are looking at a huge premium just to play Nintendo exclusives.

120v

Maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong, but this industry and market has changed considerably from what it used to be. Also, the Wii U proves that Nintendo most likely doesn't believe in price drops or losing money matter how far the sales are lagging so I wouldn't necessarily rely on a price drop in a decent time frame. Maybe a pack-in game at the most. Wii U still $300 even now? Why?

wii u is still full price because nintendo doesn't want to take a hit on manufacturing. it's dead so not like a price cut would do much

Switch being the same situation is speculation at best. i think the initial msrp was made with future bundles and price cuts down the line personally

Doczu

We do this every

Single

Time

Every single time there's a big drought we say wow Nintendo must have sooo many new games to show to make up for it

Psych
What's even worse they unified their development to one platform, had their time to learn hd development and now we see that some things just refuse to change...
Went from diamond boner to semi-flacid boner after the presentation. For that price (console nd accessories), launch line-up, power and battery life i will wait either for a panic mode price cut (which will definetly come, mark my words), or a cheaper revision with a better battery.

ironmang

No way they're making another handheld, that would basically be declaring the Switch a failure

All the Switch does is combine the worst of both worlds. Expensive, cumbersome handheld with $60 games. I don't see how this is expected to succeed. Maybe a price drop and a new pokemon title in a couple years can save it but they really set it up for failure initially.

tzare

to think i considered to buy it just a MK machine... but as always nintendo keeps being nintendo. Maybe in a few years.
Instead of doing the best of home and portable they seem to have done the worst. We will see but it will probably flop harder than WiiU

entremet

Still baffled people expected 250. The system has issues but price isn't one of them.

250 was the launch 3ds and that tech was horrible.

Too many drinking the rumor koolaid.

Kysen

Comments on a particular JP blog are mirroring this thread completely. Many people lolling at the price of the console and accessories. PS4 comparisons abound too.

ironmang

Still baffled people expected 250. The system has issues but price isn't one of them.

250 was the launch 3ds and that tech was horrible.

Too many drinking the rumor koolaid.

250 was clearly an appropriate price for the 3ds.

But really, they're playing from behind and need to be competitive. Last night they just showed they're stubborn.

SwolBro

Banned
it's time for nintendo to leave the console market and focus on games, especially mobile games. i can't imagine who will be buying this besides the hardcore of hardcore nintendo fans

I'm probably going to wait for a updated switch console in a bundle with a game or 2. Doesn't make sense investing that much money when only zelda is appealing to me especially when there's enough content elsewhere coming out. Price isn't an issue as much as lack of content for launch.

hiim_haz

Banned
$399.99 Canadian. Will still buy, because I really want a portable Zelda. Don't play console as much anymore and commute often because of work so it'd be perfect.

If Zelda didn't look as good as it does I would have waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom