• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

A reviewer said it's easier than Dark Souls. Wat? Is it the same as the Beta/etc? Because Dark Souls is easy compared to Nioh for me...

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Amazon US #8
Amazon UK #3
Much better than Yakuza/TOB/GR2

All sounds good, played the Alpha but just wanted to make sure it didn't go off the rails as a final product. Pre-ordering. Looking forward to getting some new school videogame Shogun on.

Deleting youtube history seems necessity at this point -__-
If you've looked up a couple Nioh videos, then yes because it will be recommended to you.

So Playstation went from having no games to "too many games".........

Always knew this game was something special and always knew Team Ninja was something special without Itagaki...Awesome reviews for a game in one of my favourite genres....Feelsgoodman.org.........

This meme makes no sense because looking at the history of PlayStation, when has it ever failed to deliver games. People used it in an attempt to discredit and belittle PlayStation success.

Sayad

Ninja Gaiden got a 91. The entire Souls series is between 88-92, whereas this is 85.

A five point difference is significant given the narrow range game scores fall into.
I said "last gen's" Ninja Gaiden and Souls games, both of which got between low and high 80s with the exception of DS2 and guess what everyone thought about that game a month or so after release!

So glad the reviews are good. I wish I had more time. This is right in my wheelhouse--I loved Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha, and the Souls games. But between all the stances and builds, I'm expecting a fairly steep learning curve to find out what works best for me. I can't do that when there's only 30 minutes or so at a time to eke out some gaming. Soon though. This is definitely next after RE7.

ironcreed

Banned
A reviewer said it's easier than Dark Souls. Wat? Is it the same as the Beta/etc? Because Dark Souls is easy compared to Nioh for me...

Pretty much how it feels to me as well. It actually reminds me of the first time I played Demon's Souls, which is quite the accomplishment.

I've read that it's extremely difficult in the beginning as you get used to the combat, but as the game progresses your skills improve and you have opportunities to get extremely good equipment which makes combat more forgiving.

I've read that it's extremely difficult in the beginning as you get used to the combat, but as the game progresses your skills improve and you have opportunities to get extremely good equipment which makes combat more forgiving.
Hmm... reminds me of another series I've played...

Gbraga

Yeah

" Originally Posted by Reviewer on Reddit
NG+ hits right after you complete the mission after credits. You unlock the ability to level up spirit guardians and immediately can engage with the new "difficulty" which is NG+, called Way of the Strong. "

I AM THE FUCKING STRONG

Challenge accepted.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Wish we had the chart numbers before the reviews went up. Wanted to see how much a difference the reviews made for Nioh

It's #9-12 in Amazon UK when I look yesterday several times

Sayad

Nioh main game probably doesn't require doing twilight missions, and those were the hardest parts. Main game seem only hard at the start, once you figure things out and level up a litter your character can becomes way more OP that what's possible in Souls games, that was my take from the demos at least.

Hmm... reminds me of another series I've played...

I think the difference would be with Dark Souls you can't minmax your armor the same way you can in Nioh. You can still get overlevelled and all but I think it's easier or at least more accessible to do in Nioh. But I'm just going off of a reddit comment from a reviewer who finished the game.

Sayad

This meme makes no sense because looking at the history of PlayStation, when has it ever failed to deliver games. People used it in an attempt to discredit and belittle PlayStation success.
To be fair, that meme started around PS3 launch and that was a really rough time for Playstation.

Hanmik

BTW... those small toad-like creatures (that live in the shrines), they are actually hidden the strangest places.. it is actually fun to hunt them down.
I have found a lot of them, and right now I use the ones that give extra elixir in drops. I get a lot of elixirs that way..

BTW... those small toad-like creatures (that live in the shrines), they are actually hidden the strangest places.. it is actually fun to hunt them down.
I have found a lot of them, and right now I use the ones that give extra elixir in drops. I get a lot of elixirs that way..

Thanks Kodama...

=p

I think the difference would be with Dark Souls you can't minmax your armor the same way you can in Nioh. You can still get overlevelled and all but I think it's easier or at least more accessible to do in Nioh. But I'm just going off of a reddit comment from a reviewer who finished the game.
That's interesting. I won't be purposefully trying to min/max so hopefully the balance feels pretty good to me throughout.

Nioh main game probably doesn't require doing twilight missions, and those were the hardest parts. Main game seem only hard at the start, once you figure things out and level up a litter your character can becomes way more OP that what's possible in Souls games, that was my take from the demos at least.
I'd agree. First time I played Nioh I got my ass handed to me by the starting guy in the docks back in the Alpha. By the end of the Last Chance Trial I was mopping the floor with human opponents. The real challenge is with Yokai and Tengu, then Twilight missions.

To be fair, that meme started around PS3 launch and that was a really rough time for Playstation.
Again, to ignore what happened during the PS1 and PS2 era was absolute folly.

Gbraga

Oh, now that you mention it, do you carry your progress with the Kodama from one level to the next? Or does it reset?

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh, now that you mention it, do you carry your progress with the Kodama from one level to the next? Or does it reset?

In the demos, each mission has its individual Kodama, they also act as Estus Shards for that particular mission iirc.

Hanmik

It stays.. It does not reset. The more you guide home, the higher the stat gets.

Or.. At least that is what I have seen.

Edit.. the elixir ones do not reset..
But the rest do..
When you reach a new region, the Kodama Blessing percentages reset. This is because each region has its own set of 25 Kodama to collect.

Coxy100

Banned
How does the living weapon work - does it recharge over time or just via kills?

Also, am I right in saying you press the 2 attack buttons together to activate it? You then turn invincible until it runs out?

xuchu

In the demos, each mission has its individual Kodama, they also act as Estus Shards for that particular mission iirc.

Ah that was what increased the elixir count. Thought it was just by levelling but finding Kodama makes more sense.

Kinsei

Banned
How does the living weapon work - does it recharge over time or just via kills?

Also, am I right in saying you press the 2 attack buttons together to activate it? You then turn invincible until it runs out?

You do become invincible, but any hits you take will drastically reduce the timer so it's still beneficial to not get hit.

I'm pretty sure it only recharges from kills.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Again, to ignore what happened during the PS1 and PS2 era was absolute folly.

People said the PS3 had no games because, during a specific time period, it had a really weak line-up and a very high price tag. It wasn't about faith in the platform eventually having games because PS1 and PS2 were so strong. I think that was the core truth of the meme even if it quickly got abused to the point of absurdity.

Audioboxer

Beta didnt have the "pro" mode.

There was definitely modes to select? I remember putting it on "action" mode or whatever the 60FPS mode was named.

It might not have been full out "4K" mode, but there was definitely some choice for graphical bells and whistles.

schlynch

How exactly is co-op handled? Is it possible to play the game together co-op, or has the summoned player - like in the Souls game - more the role of a helper and can't loot/progress/etc? I guess you have to resummon for every mission too?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
After playing the Alpha I never doubted the game, knew it was going to be something special.

How exactly is co-op handled? Is it possible to play the game together co-op, or has the summoned player - like in the Souls game - more the role of a helper and can't loot/progress/etc? I guess you have to resummon for every mission too?

You can either matchmake to join someone else who requests help -- works a lot like Souls where if the host dies the session ends. OR you can essentially set up a party of 2 to take on an entire mission together, where you can sort of die and revive eachother. In both co op variants both the host and helper receive loot / experience / everything.

The summoned player gets the loot too and you get some extra rewards depending on your performance too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
My baby is reviewing so well. Awwwww. :')
Buy this kickass game people if you need to fill that Ninja Gaiden Black/Devil May Cry 3 SE/Onimusha void in yo fucking chest!

NiohGAF let's fucking goooooo!!! Can almost taste this deliciousness.

Watching Team Ninja bounce back and nail this one feels nice, seriously.

I've obviously been 'championing' this game quite a lot through the various Nioh threads here since the Alpha and I'm really happy to see these scores just for Team Ninja's sake. They probably have a lot riding on this one and it feels truly inspired and like they made what they wanted to play essentially so hopefully this translates into some good sales in the end.

Hats off to them again and I can't wait to get my hands on my copy.

Some questions since I'm at work and can't read through all of details until maybe tomorrow even:

-What seems to be the average reported length?
-Is enemy variety reported to grow as you get further into the game?
-How is level variety? I really like the layouts I've played so far, mainly curious about visual/location variety.

raw

Top Bottom