• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
For your own sanity, stop giving a shit what Polygon does/gives. They are not worth your time, nor your energy.

Unknown?

im just puzzled as to why you guys put stock into polygons reviews.

I stopped going to that site when they reviewed bayonetta 2
Anyone interested in the game or looking to see if it's good largely won't. Fanboys ready to pounce to convince everyone that it isn't liked by everyone will use it as ammo.

If it scores low you'll have everyone out of the woodwork here defending it and claiming it didn't ultimately satisfy that Souls itch and can be passed on.

Anyone interested in the game or looking to see if it's good largely won't. Fanboys ready to pounce to convince everyone that it isn't liked by everyone will use it as ammo.

If it scores low you'll have everyone out of the woodwork here defending it and claiming it didn't ultimately satisfy that Souls itch and can be passed on.

just link the meta and be done with it.

You can't ignore 100 positive reviews for 1 average review, Bearing in mind all reviews of games are subjective too the reviewer.

Nioh looks like it is a great game, And one that will stand alone.

Unknown?

You can't ignore 100 positive reviews for 1 average review, Bearing in mind all reviews of games are subjective too the reviewer.

Nioh looks like it is a great game, And one that will stand alone.
It happens ALL the time here... A bad review will get more attention than any other review.

For your own sanity, stop giving a shit what Polygon does/gives. They are not worth your time, nor your energy.

Not only that, but you can get banned for complaining about reviews. I got banned for making fun of Polygon in the Bloodborne review thread. So guys, I implore you to just let it go. It's not worth the trouble and possible ban.

reKon

Banned
Not only that, but you can get banned for complaining about reviews. I got banned for making fun of Polygon in the Bloodborne review thread. So guys, I implore you to just let it go. It's not worth the trouble and possible ban.

haha, that's just lame

/nofunallowed

komorebi

yes

im not sure if it was a joke or not but how anyone can take that site seriously after all the crap they pull is beyond me

Polygon is pure shit

I don't CARE what they say, but I'm sick of their shit and I think it's hilarious that so many of us are expecting their usual shit like it's a given

EDIT: don't ban me for calling a spade a spade

Eolz

No way for Gamestop, those guys are a seriously good website.

I'll always remember Gamespot giving Tropical Freeze a lower score because it was too "unfair" for them.

Polygon gave Bloodborne a 9, let's not get ahead of ourselves before we see their actual score.

They also gave Bayonetta 2 a 7 and the guy in charge of the review (Gies) hated Vanquish and God Hand. When you see his twitter account where he seems to need coop help at every level...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think it's kind of bland looking too.

I would definitely not call it bland.

I feel like the art style makes appropriate tribute to the theme and setting, even if it isnt big on visual spectacle. Of course it trails the later Souls games in visual complexity of its environments and pure atmosphere, but i don't think that makes it bad so much as inferior to other works.

I especially give it benefit of a doubt due to their adherence to 60fps.

Nioh_Aug172016_19.png

I think it's kind of bland looking too.
And thats the number one reason thats giving me pause.

I've only played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 in the souls-verse, but the environments and setups are often gorgeous, but also manage to freak me the hell out.

Over the weekend I was exploring this crazy church in DS3, filled with gelatinous slimes, four story tall giants, and some pretty scary fucking knights in plate with weapons bigger than themselves swung over on one arm. The whole place just fills me a persistent sense of dread and wonder, and I tiptoed through the place so as not to disturb several of its beefier denizens.

That sense of awe and wonder and dread hasn't come across in any of the Nioh footage I've seen. Environments remind me of past Ninja Gaidens - feeling flat and sparse, even with all the changes to elevation. Its probably great for pure gameplay, but it loses something that sinks its teeth deep into me in the souls games.

Am I being fair here? Or are the non-spoilerific video previews put out to date representative?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Don't give a shit about the score but unlike that dutch review from pages back this one seems off from what I've seen on streams and experienced myself in the betas.
Also weird did they change the ochoko cups in the full game? I swear you can easily farm them by killing revenants. And I really don't believe that you "need" to grind.
Seems like it gets things just simply wrong but I'll withhold until I can play myself to confirm.

TreIII

"Instead of crafting a tight 20-hour experience like Ninja Gaiden,
Team Ninja has opted to create a title that had me constantly grinding.
It’s a flawed experience that really has no respect for the player’s
time"

Uh Oh...ok.

If you're not that good with action games, the "equalizer" that Nioh gives is that you can grind for better equipment to surmount most obstacles that way.

Of course, that's still not going to be enough for some, so, I can imagine this being a complaint others may have.

It's a flawed experience that really has no respect for the player's
time
"

Uh Oh...ok.

Sounds fairly reasonable. I can't stand bloat in games, and something like Bloodborne was all the better for keeping proceedings relatively lean at 30 hours or so.

Edit - that PC guff in the penultimate paragraph though.

And stuff like this doesn't matter at all. What difference does it make if the games ends with a 8.7 or 8.8 metascore because Polygon (or wherever else) didn't like it? It's pretty clear the game is very much critically acclaimed, nothing will change that.

And thats the number one reason thats giving me pause.

I've only played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 in the souls-verse, but the environments and setups are often gorgeous, but also manage to freak me the hell out.

Over the weekend I was exploring this crazy church in DS3, filled with gelatinous slimes, four story tall giants, and some pretty scary fucking knights in plate with weapons bigger than themselves swung over on one arm. The whole place just fills me a persistent sense of dread and wonder, and I tiptoed through the place so as not to disturb several of its beefier denizens.

That sense of awe and wonder and dread hasn't come across in any of the Nioh footage I've seen. Environments remind me of past Ninja Gaidens - feeling flat and sparse, even with all the changes to elevation. Its probably great for pure gameplay, but it loses something that sinks its teeth deep into me in the souls games.

Am I being fair here? Or are the non-spoilerific video previews put out to date representative?

It definitely isn't as detailed or stunning in its environmental design as Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, there's no denying that. That being said, once you get into playing it you'll realize that it's not aiming for that 'sense of awe and wonder and dread' kind of world building that Souls does, it's cut from a more old school and gameplay-servicing type of cloth almost. The stages really remind me of a Demon's Souls influenced Tenchu, that's the best comparison I can come up with. It appears that way at first but to me it just doesn't come off as them having tried to 100% ape Souls level design and failed, it rather just feels different. It's a much more Action game focused approach.

I'm not using that as an excuse, but honestly while playing I never thought about this and I'm a person that believes the look and feel of those Souls levels is a gigantic chunk of their appeal. In other words, I think if anything, I'd be really bothered by it.

It’s a flawed experience that really has no respect for the player’s
time
"

Uh Oh...ok.

Not to validate the review as a whole (I didn't read it), but this sounds like very valid criticism. Grinding for loot isn't fun for everyone. It should be optional. Games that require grinds are not respectful of players' time.

I'm still getting the game, don't worry.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not to validate the review as a whole (I didn't read it), but this sounds like very valid criticism. Grinding for loot isn't fun for everyone. It should be optional. Games that require grinds are not respectful of players' time.

So far, we've never heard from any reviewer that its a necessity to grind though, even though it takes elements from dungeon crawlers

I'm not using that as an excuse, but honestly while playing I never thought about this and I'm a person that believes the look and feel of those Souls levels is a gigantic chunk of their appeal. In other words, I think if anything, I'd be really bothered by it.
Yeah, I can see that. The combat does look pretty sublime, with a lot of mindful back and forth action.

Will probably bite, just not day one.

Its great to see Team Ninja kicking some ass again though.

No one has really said grinding is required though.

Why do you assume the review meant that you need to grind?

People think Dark Souls don't respect player's time by making you run back to the boss room.

gow3isben

Yep. If polygon were to give the game a 6/10 or something it would drop a point, but if "insert random no-name site" gave the game a 4/10 it wouldn't.

100% it would. Why do you think so many people get so butthurt about these random reviews? In Uncharted 4's case even Troy Baker called out that one site that decreased Uncharted 4's score after it already had like 100 reviews already counted including all the big ones.

Yeah, I can see that. The combat does look pretty sublime, with a lot of mindful back and forth action.

Will probably bite, just not day one.

Its great to see Team Ninja kicking some ass again though.

Despite this by the way, there are definitely some beautiful atmospheric moments in every level I've played thus far. It definitely isn't lacking in atmosphere and has that cool ambient sound design down like Souls combined with the occasional introduction of OST tracks during key moments in levels and so on.

This is a spoilery description, but just of the first level:

The sub-mission version of the first stage for example has a really nice sunset that combined with the sway tree branches and Ambient sound design create a really nice sense of place. That would paint the picture more than comparing it to Souls in my opinion.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

I read it, I have experience with the game because of betas and I've seen it streamed a lot I definitely feel the review kind of misunderstands certain things about the game but who knows maybe something between last chance beta and full game changed. But if it didn't some of the statements in that review are just plainly wrong.

Top Bottom