• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Got the game 5 days or so ago on ONE X, loving the hell out of it. My first planet was a pita but I flew out to another one in my system and it and its moon rock ass. Abundant flora, perfect weather, non-annoying sentinels, all sorts of awesome resources, don't want to leave to a different system just yet at all w/15 hours in.. Shits amazing..

Last edited:
This game is just $10 new for ps4/xbox one. But I want on PC. Haven't been able to find it for cheap. Greenmangaming had it for $30 AUD but it sold out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah, it was great motivation to get my ass off of Mars, toxic/frozen/radioactive Mars. I went to the nearby planet with rings instead :).
Karma I guess, but my starting planet is like a living hell. Toxic, killer plants, sentinels up my ass for just trying to survive. I'm loving it though 🙂.

Karma I guess, but my starting planet is like a living hell. Toxic, killer plants, sentinels up my ass for just trying to survive. I'm loving it though 🙂.

Yeah I had a lot of sentinels on that first one as well. I made base on a nice boiling planet with unending sun (only a mild 170F), better than that Frozen hell. Lots of resources.

TheMikado

Banned
your ships are probably still there... just they didn't spawn in your freighter. bring up your Summon Ship menu, probably all your ships there.

I noticed the same thing about NPC ships docking, too... you can summer your Freighter much closer to the space station sometimes now, I think that's what screws it up.

BTW, your old base planet is pretty much guaranteed to be different. it's not like 1.3 where the universe just kinda 'regen' and some places stay the same or similar. basically every planet got a hard reset this time, from biomes to names. only thing I've found that wasn't changed 100% changed across all examples was that a few star system names and races/economies stayed the same (but all their planets still changed).

I really want to save my old base to and put it back ... but my old base planet is nothing but a low gravity desolate moon now haha absolutely nothing there... barely any light or gravity, even, let alone resources or flora and fauna ;p

Yeah I got my old ships back but after I exited and re-entered the game. Then I lost them again. Some kind of weird bug.

As for the planets, I was able to find my original base planet again. I know it’s none because it was in my starting system with perfect weather and and ocean planet with red grass. The basis concept of it is the same but it’s been completely revamped, instead of no fauna and scarce flora it now has abundant of both and I haven’t met a predator yet so that’s great. Also the geography is way cooler, before if was various islands, now their like tons of Mesa like island coming out of the oceans with our crops and such. I’ve already started a base using the base machine but I haven’t been able to find a habitable base yet so I can get all my parts back. Once I do that I’ll really get back into the swing of things.

Also has anyone figured out what to do and you land on your frigates? I can go inside but can’t activate anything in them.

Harlock

I was not expecting the full tech reset. I need my jetpack upgrade. For what I saw, refuling the ship take off boost is more work than before.

Vtecomega

Banned
I have been playing this for most of the day and I must say...what a god awful game this is. It is fucking horrid.

Not only is the entire game a grind and collectathon, but to grind for hours on end for valuable resources just so another online player can just ruin your day and kill you and your ship, you are then left with a broken ship, all valuables are lost and you are stuck with online players circling your ship that instantly kill you the moment you respawn.

What kind of garbage is this?

Kagey K

Banned
So I played it around 8 hours today, as a first time player. Initial reactions:

It tedious and grinding, but that’s not bad.

I don’t know what’s new and whats not, but so far I’ve been doing both the Awakening and Atlas lines and they are keeping me engaged.

My biggest complaint so far is I’m starving for storage space.

MayauMiao

Game is really making a come back.

uosb2Qs.jpg

Handy Fake

Been watching Gaming Mike livestream this on YouTube (base PS4). A couple of lag issues and sound glitches but they appeared to be connected to multiplayer/network issues. No doubt they're an easy fix.

It looks an absolute delight, I must say. Get the impression that such a big update would have let a few minor issues slide under the radar and they'll be sorted in no time. He played in a four-man team for a while and it was just, just lovely. Helping each other out, dicking about and doing flybys in ships.

TheMikado

Banned
I was not expecting the full tech reset. I need my jetpack upgrade. For what I saw, refuling the ship take off boost is more work than before.

I thought so at first too. But the most effective way is to just make the fuel, which lasts ALOT longer than previously. I think before I could only get like 4-5 good launches. Now I get twice as many and don't need to hold massive amounts of plutonium just to explore a planet.

I thought so at first too. But the most effective way is to just make the fuel, which lasts ALOT longer than previously. I think before I could only get like 4-5 good launches. Now I get twice as many and don't need to hold massive amounts of plutonium just to explore a planet.

^This. I made some of the fuel right off the start on the X1X version and I honestly haven't had any problems with fuel/launching/being stuck.

Banned
then if you play it a few minutes longer...

you can see Network Play was turned Off

What platform are you playing on? This is interesting because on my PS4, where your option says "Network Play" mine says "Ambient Multiplayer", which I have set to off. Now, I wasn't able to spend any real time with the game yesterday, other than checking out the opening and fiddling with settings, so I can't tell you if I'm truly alone in my NMS universe.

But we're obviously not comparing apples to apples here.

VulcanRaven

I wonder if I should wait before continuing the game? These glitches don't sound good. I have the game on PS4.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can't play for any longer than two hours.
I wonder if I should wait before continuing the game? These glitches don't sound good. I have the game on PS4.

I'd wait if I were you. They're not going to change the 'bloating' of simple and enjoyable loops though, so perhaps watch a few Let's Plays first.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I'm thinking of trying this again, I was probably about 50% through the game when I stopped playing, but with the added ability to do this with a friend has piqued my interest again and I am trying to decide if I should continue where I left off or Restart from Scratch?

Any advice from anyone who has continued playing? Thanks

Started a new game last night and played for a couple of hours. Built a wooden shack on a frozen moon. I like it. Imo it feels very much improved. The planet geography feels more "real".
Third person animation is cluncky but serviceable.

FranXico

Heh, tons of new features introducing new bugs and regressions? Who would have thought?

Just give HG a little bit more time, they'll fix it.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool to see interest in this game surging, even 2 years after launch. Goes to show that there really is something to it. In all fairness,the large missteps and outright omissions left too sour of a taste for many folks. Glad the game is getting back on track.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a blast getting back into this so far. My first planet had a lot of aliens/buildings on it so I spent a while flying around and checking things out. Left it, went to a space station and then to the next planet with part of the Awakening storyline. Haven't found the start of the Atlas story yet, but picked up a couple side quests from aliens.

Playing in third person is making this much more enjoyable to me.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm having a blast getting back into this so far. My first planet had a lot of aliens/buildings on it so I spent a while flying around and checking things out. Left it, went to a space station and then to the next planet with part of the Awakening storyline. Haven't found the start of the Atlas story yet, but picked up a couple side quests from aliens.

I agree completely. I still prefer to be in first person while flying, but on foot, third person is so much better.

Wat, it's $50 on XBO

Did u leave the zero off cause 10 bucks is pretty good...where?
?

At Aussie EB's here in Sydney it is in bargain bins brand new. $10-19 or ~7-15 usd. PC version is different story.

They haven't fixed stutter on nvidia cards, it is a real nuisance. Had to do the old force vsync in control panel, set cpu affinity to high and enable max fps in game settings. Playing on ultra 1440p @ 60fps now without skipping a beat.

I started on a toxic world, actually died. Was bit of a hassle getting off that rock/fixing the space ship.

Then I made my way to an ice world; by then I had a terrain tool so i could dig myself under ground every time a blizzard came.

Thankfully it is fairly easy to unlock base building parts, each planet is littered with the things you need to research part blueprints. They're buried real shallow underground and easy to find using scanner. I think the atlas/black hole stories are kind of tiresome, would just prefer to ignore them but they are good tutorials to get you going.

Playing in 3rd person is the only way to play imo, it is much easier to get around. Now to talk my best friend, sister and her bf into buying the game on pc. They're all interested, I need 3 players to join me. :)

I just want to find a nice paradise world and build a giant underwater+floating base. Then do some actual veggie farming for profit. Tis' all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I agree completely. I still prefer to be in first person while flying, but on foot, third person is so much better.

I prefer it for flying as well, though I'm early and haven't done any combat so that could change. It's just nice seeing your ship. It kind of sucked to buy a cool ship and rarely see it since you were stuck in first person before.

Also, I forgot to mention I found a character customization station on the space station. That was a cool surprise as I hadn't read or watched much about the update so I had no idea you could change race, and all of your equipment look etc.

Banned

I'll have to give 3rd Person a legitimate shot. I figured it would take me out of the moment.

ultrazilla

Good enough for me to pull the trigger this time on PS4 Pro.
Looking foward to it.

You won't regret it. No Man's Sky Next is simply astonishing on so many levels. I've been the owner of the game since it's launch and always had faith that Hello Games would make
this right. With the "NEXT" patch, it's everything I've wanted in the game now(multiplayer with friends/family). Player customization, third person camera, more dynamic weather conditions on planets, ringed planets, owning your own fleet of ships, trading system(among players!) EXTENSIVE base building and more.

My tip for PS4 Pro users, go into options and set your frame rate lock to ON. I had it off and it seemed like frame rates were all over the place(never really bad but noticeable). Once
you put on frame rate lock, you're getting a solid 30fps and trust me, it works just fine and seems to be a lot smoother.

I'm hoping Digital Foundry does a nice review of the patch soon!

Of course, frame rate issues could have also been from the multiplayer implementation/lag so I'm not *sure* it's the actual game but again, with frame rate lock on, it's a lot better. It's certainly
something I think Hello Games has been made aware of if it's in game and most likely can patch.

Cheers and see you in the stars!

Handy Fake

I'll have to give 3rd Person a legitimate shot. I figured it would take me out of the moment.
I think it's the contrary; popping it into photomode and zooming out really makes you feel that you're an insignificant speck in a limitless universe. it's quite something.

The Skull

For anyone running more than a 4 core cpu, be sure to change this in the config file. Greatly helps performance. Just bought this on a whim due to the new update and, so far, enjoying it greatly. I guess it's like coming into a new game at this point though.

TheMikado

Banned
I'm thinking of trying this again, I was probably about 50% through the game when I stopped playing, but with the added ability to do this with a friend has piqued my interest again and I am trying to decide if I should continue where I left off or Restart from Scratch?

Any advice from anyone who has continued playing? Thanks

I continued.

Not happy about my bases being gone.

But I still have my freighter and was able to buy a few Frigates straight out of the gate.
Also managed to get back to my original star system to find my planet I built a base on.

Built a tiny base, but still looking for a habitable base to get all my base parts back.
Likely just going to give up on finding habitable bases.

Also ticked about the change in the scale of money. My frieghter cost me almost 100 million units and I see they seem to be selling them for like 5-10 million units now.
For the price I paid I could had a frieghter and maybe a 50 ship armada if I had waited :(.

Wish they would reimburse us with units for those who had previously had frieghters.

Handy Fake

I continued.

But I still have my freighter and was able to buy a few Frigates straight out of the gate.
Also managed to get back to my original star system to find my planet I built a base on.

Built a tiny base, but still looking for a habitable base to get all my base parts back.

Also ticked about the change in the scale of money. My frieghter cost me almost 100 million units and I see they seem to be selling them for like 5-10 million units now.
For the price I paid I could had a frieghter and maybe a 50 ship armada if I had waited :(.

Wish they would reimburse us with units for those who had previously had frieghters.
I thought your base was archived and would be available when you built a base console? I may be wrong.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I continued.

I guess I wasn't remotely as far along with this game as I Remembered cause I didn't get into Base building or buying freighters I was just doing a lot of dicking around and exploring.

So based on that I think I will just give it a fresh start thanks

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I wasn't remotely as far along with this game as I Remembered cause I didn't get into Base building or buying freighters I was just doing a lot of dicking around and exploring.

So based on that I think I will just give it a fresh start thanks

Did you play at launch? That stuff wasn't in the base game and was added in prior updates.

Gonna be trying a multiplayer game later on, actually looking forward to it. I got this at launch and was hooked for a good week or so, it did admittedly get boring soon thereafter, but there is something about the game that is pretty captivating. Hopefully these changes stack in a meaningful way.

Yeah I got my old ships back but after I exited and re-entered the game. Then I lost them again. Some kind of weird bug.

As for the planets, I was able to find my original base planet again. I know it’s none because it was in my starting system with perfect weather and and ocean planet with red grass. The basis concept of it is the same but it’s been completely revamped, instead of no fauna and scarce flora it now has abundant of both and I haven’t met a predator yet so that’s great. Also the geography is way cooler, before if was various islands, now their like tons of Mesa like island coming out of the oceans with our crops and such. I’ve already started a base using the base machine but I haven’t been able to find a habitable base yet so I can get all my parts back. Once I do that I’ll really get back into the swing of things.

Also has anyone figured out what to do and you land on your frigates? I can go inside but can’t activate anything in them.
Did the planet name change?

I've had a few favorite planets stay kinda similar, but I think it's just luck... By and large I checked maybe 20 planets yesterday that I know by heart, and that all have new names and different biomes. A few are the same biome, but I think that's just luck (with only a few options a few desert planets are bound to get reset as desert planets haha). A lot of my faves are so much different. Starter planet and my 2nd planet (my first base for a long time) were both snow and now they're both fire lol. My last home planet (1.3) is still a moon, but it went from an airless red moon that still had a higher atmosphere to a super low atmosphere/low gravity moon with almost no light -- was able to stay there between 1.2 to 1.3 cuz it mostly was still the same desert moon (just lost flora and fauna) but as of 1.5 gotta abandon it I guess... absolutely nothing there now, looks like the earth's moon lol.

As for landing on frigates, I don't think there's anything to do inside. I think the landing pad is there cuz when I land on owned frigates, they give me money or free items.

What platform are you playing on? This is interesting because on my PS4, where your option says "Network Play" mine says "Ambient Multiplayer", which I have set to off. Now, I wasn't able to spend any real time with the game yesterday, other than checking out the opening and fiddling with settings, so I can't tell you if I'm truly alone in my NMS universe.

But we're obviously not comparing apples to apples here.
PS4...

BTW, since then I've put another 5-6 hours into the game and since reloading the game client no other players have joined my game...

See how it goes today but it looks like it may have been a bug where I started the game with 'MP On' and it just stayed on (even though I turned it Off) until the game got reloaded.

Redshirt

Banned
PC FPS seems to be way better in single-player. Not perfect but definitely better.

The FPS swings I get in co-op are crazy. I'll dig into this more tonight after checking out the TC2 update.

Last edited:

The Skull

PC FPS seems to be way better in single-player. Not perfect but definitely better.

The FPS swings I get in co-op are crazy. I'll dig into this more tonight after checking out the TC2 update.

Try turning off texture streaming in the config file. If you have a cpu with more than 4 cores and 8 threads, change this in the config file aswell. This gave me a good uplift in performance and stability.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Did you play at launch? That stuff wasn't in the base game and was added in prior updates.
Mostly at launch, I have had Issues the last 2 years trying to find time to play games and I can't seem to stay focused enough to follow through on any of them, I was hoping a fresh start with this may be just what I need since my time is freeing up some (hopefully).

frigates are pretty cool, definitely aesthetically, too.... my freighter 'fleet' is getting pretty big~

also, I'm loving the new 'build bases anywhere' and underground base building (the game seems to 'save' terrain edits/digging much better now)

the start of my new mining base haha

not a huge 'Mother Base' like my mining HQ in 1.3 (with automated mining units everywhere)

but got a genuine mining adit now ... like a (or, like my) good old Minecraft base haha

Drewpee

Banned

That was my starting planet as well. I spawned into a radioactive storm with with super aggressive sentinels. It was a beautiful planet though so I really enjoyed the view from inside my cockpit.

Top Bottom