• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Jobbs

Banned
This game is exactly what the developer said it would be, You have a huge galaxy to explore with limitless variations, The fact that you can name every plant and animal you find is just incredible, The game is randomly generated and looks stunning.

Ignore all the bad reviews from gamers with no imagination looking for a cod style shoot em up in space, base building promised in free updates...

I don't want to have to imagine all the things I'd like to be doing, the game should provide things to do

The game is terrible. I'd give it a 4/10 on the strength of how stylish it made the procedurally generated worlds look, but as a game it's just a tech demo priced at $60

It feels like an early access title in its early stages, and one that would be priced at $15 - $20.. yet it's on store shelves for $60

I don't want to have to imagine all the things I'd like to be doing, the game should provide things to do

The game is terrible. I'd give it a 4/10 on the strength of how stylish it made the procedurally generated worlds look, but as a game it's just a tech demo priced at $60

It feels like an early access title in its early stages, and one that would be priced at $15 - $20.. yet it's on store shelves for $60
I don't know that I'd call it a 4/10, but it does feel like an early access title that should be less than half the cost it is now.

I mean, I've played more feature rich games on Early Access than this for less money. Soooooo...

EL CUCO

CpsFFGnUIAA5hN4.jpg
I'm in tears here

While I'm enjoying what's there I'm also really missing what was talked about being in the game but isn't, and that grows the more I play it. It's basically bait and switch.

nomis

This game is exactly what the developer said it would be, You have a huge galaxy to explore with limitless variations, The fact that you can name every plant and animal you find is just incredible, The game is randomly generated and looks stunning.

Ignore all the bad reviews from gamers with no imagination looking for a cod style shoot em up in space, base building promised in free updates...

s0708629_sc7

Cod style shoot em up? I refuse to acknowledge the idea that you actually find this gameplay loop to be at all fun or entertaining

Trace

Banned
I don't know that I'd call it a 4/10, but it does feel like an early access title that should be less than half the cost it is now.

I mean, I've played more feature rich games on Early Access than this for less money. Soooooo...

Frankly the fact that it's doing so well disgusts me. There are better Early Access games out there with more content that cost half as much. The game runs like shit on PC, and technically isn't a looker on either PS4 or PC.

Proves that we really are a bunch of sheep being pushed around by marketing, ugh.

weekev

Banned

10/10

10/10

Okay this is really funny but this thread is nightmarish enough as is, so let's cool it on this for now

Ashler

Played the game for a bit (4hrs) yesterday and was really disappointed in how badly the controls of the game are communicated in-game, specially everything related to your ship. I also hate your limited inventory slots. For such a big game with so many upgrades you can get, it becomes annoying really soon in the game.

Also, another drag was that the 3 planets I visited were all lifeless and uninteresting, but that's the luck of the draw I guess.

I'm going to keep playing for some hours, maybe my overall feeling of the game will change, but my first impression wasn't the best.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I'm really not surprised this game is scoring the way it did - this game was far too ambitious for its own good, and procedural generated content is almost always repetitive and uninteresting.

danowat

Banned
So now we are at 69 on both OC and MC, I guess in today's review scale, it's not great, but I still think 7/10 is a solid score for what you actually get, in my personal opinion lots of outlets have been more than kind to it in terms of score.

As I said before, ultimately it doesn't matter that much because they'very already sold a shed load.

To be fair, there isn't in any of Miyamoto's games now either.

Maybe not gameplay innovation, but a game with this scale is pretty crazy and the potential for the tech is really fascination. How awesome would it be to play a game like this but with Destiny style shooting and coop with your buddies where you just land on procgen War Planets and Halo 1/F.E.A.R like A.I! Would be really cool.

OuterLimits

Why does EVERY game have to be MP?

I personally have no problem with Single-Player experiences. I did grow up with NES though, and I don't think Zelda or Metroid needed any kind of MP system.

I think the "multiplayer" as Sean often mentioned would have definitely been cool. It's super unlikely but it would be interesting if you saw a player getting out of a spaceship that lands on a space station or alien outpost on a planet.

Yeah, you probably would get to the center without seeing another player, but just knowing it's possible would have been a great addition to the game in my opinion.

Branduil

It sounds like my worst fear about the game was realized, which was that the devs would misunderstand the appeal of procedural generation in popular games.

The reason games like Minecraft are popular is not because of "wow the world is so big my mind is blown," it's because those worlds exist as the canvas for player agency. Minecraft is popular because it's crazy deep mining and crafting gameplay systems, when combined with the procedural worlds, allow the player almost limitless freedom to be creative and inventive. You don't get bored because there's always something new to discover or create.

An elephant with a dog's head and rabbit legs is an amusing diversion for a few minutes, but if it behaves exactly the same as a cow with a lion's head and frog legs, who will continue to give a shit once the novelty has worn off? Endless aesthetic variation only counts for very little if you don't have the core gameplay variety to back it up.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
Some ppl will hate it, some will love it.

I like it :3

I'm glad I bought it so that's enough for me.

Same people will hate it when they continue playing and see the same space station and alien counter, useless upgrade. Different planet but doing the exact same tasks over and over. No even good gameplay/combat to keep the game going.

If it's 20$ and you get your 5 hours of exploration before the game become mundane. For a 60$? The game deserves almost every bad review.

Top Bottom