• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

VerTiGo

Banned
I picked it up yesterday and I can't believe how much better this game is. The last NMH was borderline mediocre with some interesting promises but this has quickly risen to absolute awesomeness. The retro jobs have already consumed so much of my time.

Dascu

Ramenman said:
Anyone planning on playing this on a non-US console with Homebrew Channel (Gecko OS and stuff) ?
Yes. About to re-install HBC and GeckoOS (it got wiped when I upgraded the firmware to 4.2).

You know, I didn't expect much buzz around this game, with Mass Effect 2 on the same day and everything, but damn. Suda deserves better! For the record, I'm choosing to play/buy NMH2 before I play ME2 ;-)

Gino

I'm also buying this before ME2 and it's a tough decision. Especially sense I just beat Dragon age... Guess i'll beat NMH2 and Dragon age one more time before picking up ME2.

Ramenman

Dascu said:
Yes. About to re-install HBC and GeckoOS (it got wiped when I upgraded the firmware to 4.2).

I'll be glad to hear your impressions as I haven't been using Homebrew for anything newer than... The last No More Heroes.

VerTiGo

Banned
This is easily escalating to the very top of my favorite action games of all time. I love every second. I just got to rank 25 in just under the four hour mark but I'm addicted to the retro games. Lay the pipe is great. Man of Meat is meh as is the tile game (i was hoping it was going to be tetris honestly).

Even though the overworld of the first game was a bit bland i kinda miss it.

Fuck yeah. I picked up my copy at Best Buy. I'm glad I did the in-store pickup, because it didn't look like they had any other copies, unless they hadn't put them out yet.

Edit: Damn, the manual is pathetic.

VerTiGo said:
This is easily escalating to the very top of my favorite action games of all time. I love every second. I just got to rank 25 in just under the four hour mark but I'm addicted to the retro games. Lay the pipe is great. Man of Meat is meh as is the tile game (i was hoping it was going to be tetris honestly).

Even though the overworld of the first game was a bit bland i kinda miss it.

The two games you don't like are probably the easiest/quickest to make money. If you are good at the tile game you can consistently get 10,000 bucks each round. I've broken 40,000 pretty consistently on the Man the Meat game as well.

Nicktals

Banned
robotzombie said:
The two games you don't like are probably the easiest/quickest to make money. If you are good at the tile game you can consistently get 10,000 bucks each round. I've broken 40,000 pretty consistently on the Man the Meat game as well.

Uh, that coconut game seems to be the best, bar none.

Take home 80,000+ every time. Plus it's fun as hell :D

Amazon says mine is getting ready to ship. Delivery estimate is Feb 1st (2-day shipping), but Amazon always delivers sooner than their estimated date. I expect to have it Friday.

For some reason, I'm not really clicking with the Stamina mini-game. It says to alternately press B and Z to run, but how fast are you supposed to do it? Plus Travis is facing in the direction of the treadmill so I always end up falling off after a couple seconds. What am I missing?

BTW, totally miss the original gym music and minigames from NMH1. =(

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
donkey show said:
For some reason, I'm not really clicking with the Stamina mini-game. It says to alternately press B and Z to run, but how fast are you supposed to do it? Plus Travis is facing in the direction of the treadmill so I always end up falling off after a couple seconds. What am I missing?

Use the stick to change the direction Travis is running. The rest is easy.

donkey show said:

BTW, totally miss the original gym music and minigames from NMH1. =(

You can press left and right to turn and face the other way :lol

And about the coconut minigame, wow, 80000, thats awesome, I sucked so bad at that game that I never really bothered with it. I figured it would be too much of a hassle and too annoying to do it repeatedly.

Fucking awesome guys. Thanks. :D

And yes, this game rocks my face. My wife started shaking her head when I started playing the BJ5 video (not to mention the gratuitous amount of titty shots). :lol

Nicktals

Banned
robotzombie said:
You can press left and right to turn and face the other way :lol

And about the coconut minigame, wow, 80000, thats awesome, I sucked so bad at that game that I never really bothered with it. I figured it would be too much of a hassle and too annoying to do it repeatedly.

really? I guess it just clicked with me then...Because I suck at most of the others, but every time i've played (probably 7 or 8), i've completed all the stages (there are 4), and take home around 80K.

The only tip I can really think to give is that I hold down Z all the time, to run faster. You can tell which way the coconut will fall based on what side of the tree it is, and if the coconut doesn't fall right away when you kick the tree it means it's going to fall straight down. (When there are like 4 coconuts in a tree, and all of them fall straight down, you can tell which order they will fall based on what order they spin in).

I tried 3 times and couldn't even beat the first level of the tile game!

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Embargo's up!

http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/01/no_more_heroes_desperate_struggle_wii

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle is undeniably rough around the edges, but the same can be said about Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Grasshopper’s vision for Travis’s tale goes uncompromised at the expense of refinement, but one could argue that the cracks and fuzz are an intentional part of the overall punk aesthetic (given the developer’s track record, it’d be tough to argue they’re not intentional). This may sound excusing on paper, but after spending a dozen hours in Santa Destroy it's tough to care about the style-over-polish disconnect when the overall package is this dementedly fun. Desperate Struggle is required play for action fans, broken mirrors and all.

EzLink

Banned
I finished up the first one again last night. I'm really glad I replayed through it before getting this one, I didn't remember much of the plot at all. It's so awesome how they throw in so many random unnecessary plot twists at the end of the game :lol

And NMH was a game that progressively got better and better and ended on a very high note. So many times nowadays it seems like great games fizzle on the last boss fight or the ending moments, but not so here. Hopefully the sequel follows in that regard

I have class from 2-9 today ( :/ ) but after that its straight to walmart to pick this bad boy up. Too bad I then have to get up at 7 for work in the morning

Still though, can't wait! Happy dismembering, GAFfers!

I hate having a backlog....

In no good conscience can I go out and pick up more games when I haven't finished the ones in my stack, even when they're guaranteed fun like NMH2 will be. That and I still haven't gotten the true ending in NMH.

Nicktals said:
really? I guess it just clicked with me then...Because I suck at most of the others, but every time i've played (probably 7 or 8), i've completed all the stages (there are 4), and take home around 80K.

The only tip I can really think to give is that I hold down Z all the time, to run faster. You can tell which way the coconut will fall based on what side of the tree it is, and if the coconut doesn't fall right away when you kick the tree it means it's going to fall straight down. (When there are like 4 coconuts in a tree, and all of them fall straight down, you can tell which order they will fall based on what order they spin in).

I tried 3 times and couldn't even beat the first level of the tile game!

Yeah, if you can do that well on the coconut game, more power to ya! I end up just hitting enemies and getting hit on the head by coconuts and getting annoyed. At least its not as bad as that damn road rash game. Oh did the fourth stage of that piss me off.

As for the tile game, its actually only one level long, and your score is based on time. Which is why 10,000 is a pretty good score to get. It also repeats patterns very often so you start to catch on pretty quick and are able to do those puzzles even faster.

VAIL

So good so good soooooo fucking good, and all I've done is the first assassin and fucked around in my apartment...

Chairhome

Kilgore Trout said:

In no good conscience can I go out and pick up more games when I haven't finished the ones in my stack, even when they're guaranteed fun like NMH2 will be. That and I still haven't gotten the true ending in NMH.
It took me about 20-30 minutes to get through the bonus fight for the true ending in NMH... I hear it can be done in much less time, but its worth it to get the true ending.

I, too, have a backlog, but I think I'm making an exception for this. I'm not planning on buying it right away, but if I can find it to rent this weekend, I might do that.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
G.O.O. said:
Out of curiosity, how do you execute finish moves ?

You jam the analog stick in the indicated direction. It's flat and unsatisfying compared to a swing, and any and all excitement I may have had about the HD port has been annihilated after 5 minutes with a traditional pad.

I kinda feel bad for those waiting for the 360/PS3 version to see what all the hype is about because, honestly, it's gonna suck and give them the wrong impression.

Mayor Haggar said:
CON: "It's on the Wii. Better to wait for the HD port which is confirmed."

Wow. Makes me wonder if they even tried the Classic Controller.

Majukun

JohnnyPanda said:
In case anyone was wondering, using the Classic Controller fucking sucks.
well it's like play soccer with your hands..you can still score but there's no fun at all

Dascu

Mayor Haggar said:
Without watching I'll summarize:

PRO: "Improved graphics, fantastic sense of humor and style! Action is brutal and rewarding, tons to collect. Awesome."

CON: "It's on the Wii. Better to wait for the HD port which is confirmed."
Hmm, no, they don't mention anything regarding HD ports or the like.

One of the reviewer's problems lies with the difficulty of the later bossfights. They're apparently a bit cheap and unbalanced.

Nicktals

Banned
JohnnyPanda said:
In case anyone was wondering, using the Classic Controller fucking sucks.

I actually prefer to use it for the stamina game at the gym...But that's only because the Z button on my nunchuck sticks pretty bad.

Dascu said:

One of the reviewer's problems lies with the difficulty of the later bossfights. They're apparently a bit cheap and unbalanced.

Cool. I hope they're hard.

As for G4, I base that gut reaction off their review for Tatsunoko.

wrowa

AnGeL LiveWii said:
Well, I've contacted Namco Bandai Partners yesterday (the french text) and it seems that they don't have any information about the PAL release of the game... Yeah, that really sucks...
It would have been a better idea to contact Rising Star Games, the publisher of the game, I guess.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Dascu said:

I had zero issue with later boss fights, they were fun as hell. I found the very first ranked fight to be the cheapest.
Too many projectiles knocking you over left you wide open.

Arde5643

JohnnyPanda said:
You jam the analog stick in the indicated direction. It's flat and unsatisfying compared to a swing, and any and all excitement I may have had about the HD port has been annihilated after 5 minutes with a traditional pad.

I kinda feel bad for those waiting for the 360/PS3 version to see what all the hype is about because, honestly, it's gonna suck and give them the wrong impression.
Bu...bu...bu... HD port? Graphics? Online-perhaps? and all that HD console jazz.

Yeah, there's no way HD version isn't going to bomb without some motion controller.

Kilgore Trout said:

Ha, just be careful because if you don't have an early save before the second to last big battle and you skip the big scene, your screwed and have to start all over from the beginning of the game.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Dascu said:

Well, I think the original
Bad Girl
cannot be overcome in regard to this aspect.

Top Bottom