• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

JohnnyPanda said:
I had zero issue with later boss fights, they were fun as hell. I found the very first ranked fight to be the cheapest.
Too many projectiles knocking you over left you wide open.
Yeah, Nathan Copeland was all over the fucking place. But once I
decided to hide in the bedroom to charge up and actually rush him when he's about to shoot the missiles
, he was a cakewalk.
Fucking laser beams were annoying as hell though.

EzLink

Banned
Sir Johnny said:
Well, I think the original
Bad Girl
cannot be overcome in regard to this aspect.

Really? Other than her cheap move where she falls to the ground and kills you in one hit if you get too close to her (something that you learn to avoid after the first time it happens), I thought the boss fight was great. One of my favorites in the game actually

God that fight is awesome. She's such a perverse desperate bitch, I love it.

I really hope the bosses in this game can match the charisma and intrigue of those from the first

donkey show said:
Yeah, Nathan Copeland was all over the fucking place. But once I
decided to hide in the bedroom to charge up and actually rush him when he's about to shoot the missiles
, he was a cakewalk.
Fucking laser beams were annoying as hell though.

I thought that fight was so awesome. I love how the room just sort of became alive. I haven't played any other fights yet, so I'm sort of scared that they'll all be that insane :lol

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Yeah,
Bad Girl
was easily the best boss from the first game. The song in the background was so fucking cool too, I couldn't help but smile that entire time.

*don't read below if you haven't beat the game, for it is spoilerriffic*

As for DS,
there are a bunch of really cool and memorable bosses. The 2nd-rank fight against the spider-katana woman is bonkers, and the night sniper one was kickass too. Not to mention the haunted house one with the pyro fat ghost in the fucking creepy cherub mask. Hot damn, I wanna go back and play them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I picked it up along with Mass Effect 2. I couldn't resist, Suda games are such a guilty pleasure. I wasn't a huge fan of the original, but it seems like all of the shit I disliked about the first game has been improved or removed. It sounds like a whole lot more fun.

Volcynika

Damnable Amazon, paid for earlier shipping due to the delivery estimate of Feb 1 (even with 2-day shipping), now they shipped it and it'll be here tomorrow!

(I still got it for about 40, but still!)

Will have to decide between this and TvC tomorrow!

Dascu

Question to those who have beaten the game:
Is there another mecha fight, like the one with Charlie MacDonald? Don't spoil the rank or the name of the boss, I'd just like to know if it was a one-time-only deal or if there's more of it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got it yesterday at the local indie game store, finished it today. Really enjoyed it, even though most of the bosses were quite easy. Never had any who were as much trouble as
Shinobu and Holly
were in the first game. Really, really satisfying when you figure out a bosses attack pattern and proceed to rip them a new one. :D

Though I have to ask, for anyone else who has beaten it,
is that the real ending? If so, it's REALLY disappointing. The only thing I didn't do is collect all of the stuff for the motel room. At the end of the game I was at 97% collected. PLEASE don't tell me I'm going to have to replay the entire game just because I missed ONE lousy present. :(

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Dascu said:
Question to those who have beaten the game:
Is there another mecha fight, like the one with Charlie MacDonald? Don't spoil the rank or the name of the boss, I'd just like to know if it was a one-time-only deal or if there's more of it.

That's the only mech fight, but it's not the only time you advance more than one rank in a fight.

Seraphis Cain said:
Though I have to ask, for anyone else who has beaten it, is that the real ending? If so, it's REALLY disappointing. The only thing I didn't do is collect all of the stuff for the motel room. At the end of the game I was at 97% collected. PLEASE don't tell me I'm going to have to replay the entire game just because I missed ONE lousy present. :(

As far as I could tell, yeah that's it. I didn't collect everything though, so who knows.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, so hyped for Mass Effect that I didn't even know this was releasing as well. Might have to go track down a copy.

Also, whatever happened to the 360 port of NMH1? Was that a rumor?

Volcynika

Brandon F said:
Wow, so hyped for Mass Effect that I didn't even know this was releasing as well. Might have to go track down a copy.

Also, whatever happened to the 360 port of NMH1? Was that a rumor?

No, not a rumor, port for 360/PS3. Ubisoft has said they aren't localizing it though.

DaveKap

Banned
Whew, after a long long session (canceled Amazon, grabbed it from local store!) I gotta say the only thing that I'd consider not an improvement is the missing phone call before a boss battle. I understand why it's gone, and what replaces it, but I'm sad that my Wiimote's speaker doesn't get as much use.

Oh and as for the mini-games, I can manage over 150,000 bucks off the space janitor game. The trick is
to collect all the pieces but the last piece. Pick it up, put it next to the shuttle, drop it, then kill yourself (assuming you have more than 1 life left.) You respawn, grab the piece, put it in the shuttle, and your time bonus is huge. If you do this on the last (4th) level, you can get 100,000 in that round alone.

This also works for that tile laying game. Not sure if it works on any others (probably does.)

It pains me to an extent I can't possible communicate that I might have to get this after it launches instead of day 1 :(

EDIT: Oh wait, people are already playing it. Well I've already failed Grasshopper, then :lol

JohnnyPanda said:
That's the only mech fight, but it's not the only time you advance more than one rank in a fight.

As far as I could tell, yeah that's it. I didn't collect everything though, so who knows.

I didn't collect everything either, I'm pretty sure everyone who beat it didn't collect everything, so there just may be a better ending/some kind of unlockables

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
robotzombie said:
I didn't collect everything either, I'm pretty sure everyone who beat it didn't collect everything, so there just may be a better ending/some kind of unlockables

I got the "proper" ending in NMH1 and didn't collect everything, so I dunno if it makes much difference for the sequel. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it.

JohnnyPanda said:
I got the "proper" ending in NMH1 and didn't collect everything, so I dunno if it makes much difference for the sequel. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it.

The difference is that the collectibles are the only real variable in this game. There doesnt seem to be anything else that could potentially trigger an alternate ending or unlock something

JohnnyPanda said:

All you needed for the full ending in NMH1 was to buy all swords.

WillyFive

Nintendo Life reviewed it, has it been posted yet?

The mirrors don’t work.

It’s a minor detail and completely inconsequential to gameplay, but when Travis Touchdown meanders into a public restroom to do his deeds and save the game in No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, he might as well be a vampire. Despite his bloodlust, Travis is not a vampire – he’s just the star of an unrefined game.

Hiltz

I just got NMH 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

I went to Toys R Us and the $15 off deal DID work!

So go there if you want to save some money.

Just started it up and the game doesn't look too hot on my LCD. I was just playing Metroid Prime Trilogy and it looked pretty great. Is it better to play it in 4:3?

Edit: I started to watch the first BJ video and luckily my roommate wasn't in the room. :lol

Naomi. :lol
robotzombie said:
Game looked awesome on my widescreen LCD, I was surprised at how good actually. This and Silent Hill really did a great job circumventing non HDness with very good art direction and style. And I don't know why it would look any better in 4:3
I tried 4:3 and it didn't look better. There are certainly noticeable jaggies for me as well as the dithering. :\

Game looked awesome on my widescreen LCD, I was surprised at how good actually. This and Silent Hill really did a great job circumventing non HDness with very good art direction and style. And I don't know why it would look any better in 4:3

Penguin

Yeah it does look a little rough around the edges, but what can you do.

Somehow 3 hours of my day just kind of vanished. Now ranked 24th in the world. :lol

Threi

notag
At #23 right now, the game is really good. Maybe its me but the tweaks in the combat system make the game seem a little harder now. (not to mention the enemies are definitely more aggressive than the first game) Specifically, you can't cancel attacks with roll anymore, and Travis has longer recovery time on his slashes now. Also, despite locking on to enemies, you still have to aim your slashes. Kinda removes the advantage of leading with a quick high slash and then immediately rolling that was in the first game :(

Noticed that there are still framerate issues, but it only appears in cutscenes so that's fine.

Btw:
Naomi's second beam katana has an interesting name...:lol

GWX

Threi said:
At #23 right now, the game is really good. Maybe its me but the tweaks in the combat system make the game seem a little harder now. (not to mention the enemies are definitely more aggressive than the first game) Specifically, you can't cancel attacks with roll anymore, and Travis has longer recovery time on his slashes now. Also, despite locking on to enemies, you still have to aim your slashes. Kinda removes the advantage of leading with a quick high slash and then immediately rolling that was in the first game :(

Noticed that there are still framerate issues, but it only appears in cutscenes so that's fine.

Btw:
Naomi's second beam katana has an interesting name...:lol

Yeah, those framerate issues are weird. Seems out of the place to me, since during actual gameplay, that have more action and stuff going on, there aren't as much.

So far, so good. Just got #25 now, what a jump :lol

Chairhome

robotzombie said:
Because of the way that the widescreen picture is output, some games look better (less blurry) in 4:3 on a widescreen HDTV. See Mega Man 9 and Castlevania Rebirth as examples.

Chairhome said:
Because of the way that the widescreen picture is output, some games look better (less blurry) in 4:3 on a widescreen HDTV. See Mega Man 9 and Castlevania Rebirth as examples.

Those don't seem like very good examples, being intentionally old school wiiware titles as opposed to a major(ish?) release like NMH2

Chairhome

robotzombie said:
Those don't seem like very good examples, being intentionally old school wiiware titles as opposed to a major(ish?) release like NMH2
There are supposed to be other titles that it helps, but I have no idea since I just stumbled upon this last month in the CV Rebirth thread. Those are the only ones I know that it does work on.

Chairhome said:
There are supposed to be other titles that it helps, but I have no idea since I just stumbled upon this last month in the CV Rebirth thread. Those are the only ones I know that it does work on.

Yeah, I just mean that CV Rebirth is probably intentionally going for the 4:3, and putting it in widescreen just messes it up. As for your original graphics issue, are you using components?

Edit: Sorry, I mistook you for the person who originally had the graphics question. To that person, my question still applies

Jeez, the rank 50 battle is thoroughly kicking my ass harding than anything in the first game.

Of course, I haven't upgraded anything yet so that might explain.

Hiltz

Wow, this game is awesome and it is seriously better than the first game in every way.

The core combat is basically the same as the first game. However, Travis gets a lot more moves which adds slightly more depth to the combat. Also, the motion control feels more accurate especially during the times when Travis locks swords with an opponent. The only thing I don't like is that there's no camera control but it will just take some time to get used to. There's also some destructible objects like chairs and plants to break, some revealing health recovery and battery energy items.

I'm diggin the music except for the annoying track played in Airport 51. The overworld theme and the first stage rank music is catchy.

You can tell just by the first fight at the beggining of theg ame how cool , unpredictable and over the top the game's story is going to be.

I don't miss the overworld from the first game at all. The sequel's map menu system is intuitive and the loading times are generally short. As far as the mini games go, I really love the 2D retro style. The Bug Out game is fun but challenging (you earn more money by completing each stage and moving on to the next stage with each one having different level design). I didn't really care for the Lay the Pipe mini game.

Oh, and there's a bit more to do in Travis Touchdown's motel room. The Jeanne 3D mini games are short but fun and quite amusing. I haven't played the Bizarre Jelly 5 game yet. You can actually move around in the room finding things to interact with.

I'm about to encounter my first boss rank right.

Honestly, if you loved the first game., you'll love the sequel even more.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
MNC said:
Calling it unpolished and refined then goes and gives it 9/10 :p

But Desperate Struggle doesn’t care. Grasshopper waves a giant middle finger to refinement, beats it up, steals its lunch money and cuts off its head while laughing. The game proudly displays roughness as a badge of honour next to Sex Pistols and Guitar Wolf patches on its wrecked leather jacket. It is punk rock in video game form: rough, dirty, crude and idealistic. It’s all about looking cool while slicing fools with beam katanas and cracking skulls with piledrivers. This is a game where you can turn into a tiger and bite the limbs off panicked enemies and cause blood geysers.

Instead of sweating the small stuff, Desperate Struggle is more concerned with killer gameplay and it largely succeeds. This here is a textbook example of amounting to something greater than the sum of its parts.

Chairhome

Any time to complete comparisons for this game vs the first one? Longer? Shorter? I don't want to be that guy, but I like to know how long it'll take to complete since my time to play games gets shorter every day.

Caj814

Part time Jobs:
Does anyone else love the
blowing into the cart sound and putting it in clip you hear before it starts
?:lol :lol :lol

I beat the game with this completion time:
13 hours 41 minutes, on Mild difficulty, without spending too much time with minigames and buying clothes

DaveKap

Banned
Willy105 said:

Y'know what bothers me? I thought the mirrors weren't working at first, at least for that first bathroom that has the huge mirror partition with sinks on it. But then I realized that it's not a mirror, it's just a giant foggy-glass partition. It's not supposed to be a mirror at all.

So I'm very curious if reviewers just didn't realize this, or if there are mirrors later in the game that are obviously mirrors that don't work.

(To be honest, though, it's very obvious mirrors don't work just by running in front of the one in the Hotel. I still insist that first bathroom's mirror doesn't count, there is no proof it's supposed to be a mirror!)

Chairhome

robotzombie said:
I beat the game with this completion time:
13 hours 41 minutes, on Mild difficulty, without spending too much time with minigames and buying clothes
Thanks, that sounds pretty good. I'm pretty hyped for this game.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
DaveKap said:
Y'know what bothers me? I thought the mirrors weren't working at first, at least for that first bathroom that has the huge mirror partition with sinks on it. But then I realized that it's not a mirror, it's just a giant foggy-glass partition. It's not supposed to be a mirror at all.

So I'm very curious if reviewers just didn't realize this, or if there are mirrors later in the game that are obviously mirrors that don't work.

(To be honest, though, it's very obvious mirrors don't work just by running in front of the one in the Hotel. I still insist that first bathroom's mirror doesn't count, there is no proof it's supposed to be a mirror!)

There are bathroom mirrors and reflective surfaces that clearly ignore Travis.

EDIT: It's something of a pet peeve of mine to check whether mirrors in games work or not ever since Duke 3D. When they don't it's always a huge disappointment. :(

YuriLowenthal.png

Yuri Lowenthal Strikes Again

...though I can't say it was really all that unexpected.

Top Bottom