• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nicktals said:
WTF!

I didn't get the fight against the flute girl, and I didn't get any revenge missions....

Well, maybe they'll show up on my next playthrough...

Those two things are completely missable. You have to
go back into your motel room after you beat Charlie MacDonald. Like, beat him, go back to the motel, leave, then go back in.

Pretty stupid decision on GHM's part, if you ask me.

Nicktals

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
Those two things are completely missable. You have to
go back into your motel room after you beat Charlie MacDonald. Like, beat him, go back to the motel, leave, then go back in.

Pretty stupid decision on GHM's part, if you ask me.

What, really? And that's for the flute girl AND the revenge battles??

Thanks a lot! I'm replaying on bitter, but maybe I'll start one on mild just so I can experience these things without tearing my hair out.

EzLink

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
The Kimmy mission isn't the revenge mission. The Kimmy mission takes the place of the ranking battle on the menu.

Haha shit, I feel dumb. Well thanks, at least I know now I didn't miss anything

And that is incredibly stupid to make that battle+revenge missions missable for the ENTIRE GAME unless you happen to decided (as I thankfully did) to do some shit after the
robot battle
and return to your motel. Makes no sense whatsoever why they did it that way

Nicktals

Banned
EzLink said:
Haha shit, I feel dumb. Well thanks, at least I know now I didn't miss anything

And that is incredibly stupid to make that battle+revenge missions missable for the ENTIRE GAME unless you happen to decided (as I thankfully did) to do some shit after the
robot battle
and return to your motel. Makes no sense whatsoever why they did it that way

SERIOUSLY!

I can't believe that was intentional...

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Nicktals said:
SERIOUSLY!

I can't believe that was intentional...

I hope it will be corrected in the European version(s)
?

Oh, by the way, Ezlink....sorry for not answering you about "that" boss's alleged cheapness.
I am firmly convinced that, after half an our spent beating that bitch and her s&m mannequins such insta-kill move feels a little irritating.

But, hey! Also Shinobu had a similar problem >: (

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Regarding Bad Girl, you guys did realise that you can tell whether or not she's going to do the instant kill or not, and is sometimes attackable when she cries?

Right?

Dascu

EatChildren said:
Regarding Bad Girl, you guys did realise that you can tell whether or not she's going to do the instant kill or not, and is sometimes attackable when she cries?

Right?
It's an little detail that's easy to miss.

For the record: Check if she's holding her bat. If not, you can attack her.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dascu said:
It's an little detail that's easy to miss.

I know, but its one of the first hints given on the continue screen when you die.

Nicktals

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Can somebody say how do avoid missing this without spoiling anything?

After beating a boss (it's early on, and unless you haven't watched ANYTHING, it will have already been spoiled for you), exit your hotel and then return there. As I understand it.

Ridley327

The revenge missions aren't completely missable, as I was able to trigger them after I went back to the apartment prior to visiting the UAA office to initate
the Battle Royale. I was also able to fight Kelly; I honestly could not believe she actually said "lulz". :lol :lol :lol She also had pretty awesome music.

EatChildren

Dascu said:
Who on earth sees the continue screen? Goddamn weaklings.

People who die from her one-hit-kill move :p.

Nicktals

Banned
Ridley327 said:
The revenge missions aren't completely missable, as I was able to trigger them after I went back to the apartment prior to visiting the UAA office to initate
the Battle Royale. I was also able to fight Kelly; I honestly could not believe she actually said "lulz". :lol :lol :lol She also had pretty awesome music.

Don't tell me they're not completely missable.

As I've completed the game, and did not see a single one. I also never saw the Kelly battle.

Nemesis_

FUCK

Playing as the second playable character and stuck in a room with switches. I cannot find the last one at all. Can anyone help me please?

Nicktals

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
FUCK

Playing as the second playable character and stuck in a room with switches. I cannot find the last one at all. Can anyone help me please?

Switch location spoilers:
Remember that Shinobu has a long distance attack by holding A. There are 2 or 3 which make use of this, and are high up on the walls. You have to hit them by standing on boxes of varying heights. But if you just get on boxes and look at the walls I'm pretty sure you'll find them, as they aren't all that tricky.

Ridley327

Nicktals said:
Don't tell me they're not completely missable.

As I've completed the game, and did not see a single one. I also never saw the Kelly battle.

All I'm saying is that you're not SOL if you don't trigger it after beating Charlie. It is pretty dumb that it is skippable, though, since ever other revenge mission has a room decoration to collect.

How the hell do you beat rank 24? I tried 4 times...is there really only two chests for poweups in that entire haunted house?

Game is so good.

Threi

notag
Mayor Haggar said:
How the hell do you beat rank 24? I tried 4 times...is there really only two chests for poweups in that entire haunted house?

Game is so good.
what worked for me is switching to the blood berry (or the giant sword if you got it) and spam low slashes. Using the 2nd sword was damn near impossible for me.

G.O.O.

akachan ningen said:
Can somebody say how do avoid missing this without spoiling anything?
If after each battle you do something like save, Jeane/work/gym/shop/anything and save again before the next battle, you won't miss it. Just go back to the motel.

What does the vengeance percentage says for those who missed it ? It sounds like a glitch, and at the same time I believe this is the only boss fight that isn't ranked so it may be intentional.

Thanks Threi...although that solution makes no sense to me. Will try after work today.

Man, all the mini-games are great except for Time to Tile.

Rovert40

Neo Member
Mayor Haggar said:

Game is so good.

I used the green sword, and just bum-rushed and beat the crap out of him, making sure to dodge his axe swings Punch-Out style in between my relentless assaults. The orange sword didn't work for me at all.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
pablitomm_uy said:
35c06er.png
?

schweet, thank yas.

Played for 4 hours straight last night.

Loved the allusions to other games too, so far just saw FF7 and RE4. Hope there are more.

I just want to say that I have played this for 3 hours last night and it is probably one of my favorite games of all time and I have been gaiming since the NES days. This game reminds me of why I love gaming so much. I just get lost and play the 2D side missions which I am having a great time with. The bosses are way over the top and cool. Along with Bayonetta and TvC 2010 has been great. Dare I say I like this better than Bayonetta?

I love this series so much that I am going to double dip and import the PS3 version of the first game.:D

NotWii

Banned
Wait a minute...
Masafumi Takada wasn't involved in NMH2?!

That's like trying to make pizza without cheese!
But explains the soundtrack :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wii said:
LAST BOSS IS BS! >:O

You're telling me. I just beat him for the second time and I STILL can't figure out how to dodge half of his moves. That's gonna be what keeps me from replaying this for a third time. He's just a bunch of BS. Not fun to fight at all.
Jeane
was fun to fight and an interesting character. Same with
Henry
Jasper?
Not so much.

Oh, and just beat it again on Mild after getting all the collectables. Nothing changed.
Nothing new in Naomi's Lab, nothing new in Airport 51, no new ending, nothing. Only thing I didn't do on this runthrough was get 100% of the clothes. And honestly, if that's a requirement to unlock anything, I'm out. I'm NOT going to sit and play those damn minigames long enough to rack up the ridiculous amount of money needed to buy out the shop. But yeah, as it stands, it seems that the ending we've all gotten is the real ending. Which is terribly disappointing. =/

The Hermit

First one was WAY better than this...

Also way too short to, clocked 10:30.

Also, the only Boss that was worth showing up in NMH was Rank 7 and Rank 10( yeah, I know...)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Baiano19 said:

Yeah. Went back and compared my times. 21:20 for NMH1, 13:42 for NMH2. What the hell was I doing for those other 8 hours in NMH1? :lol

And yeah, I feel like the first NMH was way better than this one too. NMH2 feels like two steps forward and three steps back, really. No Masafumi Takada music, some overlong, monotonous levels, far less characterization for most of the assassins, terrible
jumping controls in the Shinobu stages
, most of the clothes being uninteresting, over-reliance on minigames, just...I don't know, NMH2 seems to lack the "magic" of NMH, I feel. =( Perhaps it's because of Suda having less input this time around?

Also, is it just me, or can you not get into clashes with normal enemies now? Twice through the game and I never once got into a clash with anyone who wasn't a boss.

Baiano19 said:

Also, the only Boss that was worth showing up in NMH was Rank 7 and Rank 10( yeah, I know...)

That's because you spent a ton of time raising entry fees...and you didn't know the game's controls then

EatChildren

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah. Went back and compared my times. 21:20 for NMH1, 13:42 for NMH2. What the hell was I doing for those other 8 hours in NMH1? :lol

There's no way you spent 21:20 hours on NMH unless you were doing an absolute fuck ton of grinding for all the clothes and items and crap, or were really bad at the game and it took you forever to do anything.

Either that or you did New Game +, because I'm pretty sure in the original the timer keeps counting into a new game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
EatChildren said:
There's no way you spent 21:20 hours on NMH unless you were doing an absolute fuck ton of grinding for all the clothes and items and crap, or were really bad at the game and it took you forever to do anything.

Either that or you did New Game +, because I'm pretty sure in the original the timer keeps counting into a new game.

It was grinding, yeah. :lol Grinding for money (assassination missions, not the side jobs), searching for clothes in dumpsters, looking for Lovikov balls, etc. All things that I strangely miss in NMH2. I keep hearing that they weren't fun (except the assassination missions), but I guess I just can't agree with that. I enjoyed every second of it.

EatChildren

Seraphis Cain said:
It was grinding, yeah. :lol Grinding for money (assassination missions, not the side jobs), searching for clothes in dumpsters, looking for Lovikov balls, etc. All things that I strangely miss in NMH2. I keep hearing that they weren't fun (except the assassination missions), but I guess I just can't agree with that. I enjoyed every second of it.

Goddamn you did a lot of grinding. Im pretty sure it didnt take me that long to grind for everything, and I've finished the original numerous times.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
EatChildren said:
Goddamn you did a lot of grinding. Im pretty sure it didnt take me that long to grind for everything, and I've finished the original numerous times.

I'm not really sure what it was. I know only two of the bosses gave me any real trouble, so I wasn't exactly stuck on anything for too long. I guess I really did just do a LOT of grinding. :lol

Oh, keep in mind I did all the searching for clothes/Lovikov balls without the assistance of FAQs/guides. So that can account for a lot of the time. And there was the whole "search for random points in the ground to jab with your sword and get stuff" part too.

Dascu

zoukka said:
Haha seems I was right, a big part about the charm of NMH was the "shittiness" of many areas in that game.
Something I had feared when NMH2 was announced. I was ecstatic that a sequel was on the way, but at the same time I realized that even with all the upgrades, it probably wouldn't be a better game. It doesn't have that same freshness and charm to it anymore. I haven't played it yet, but I sort of know what to expect. It feels like NMH has become mainstream.

Mayor Haggar said:
I beat the original NMH in about 8 hours.

Then again, I had tested it for months prior to release.
Yessss Yessss?

NotWii

Banned
Dascu said:
Something I had feared when NMH2 was announced. I was ecstatic that a sequel was on the way, but at the same time I realized that even with all the upgrades, it probably wouldn't be a better game.
I remember being concerned that they were aiming for 50 bosses, I get the feeling they had to axe a fair bit.

I remember Suda saying he wanted to really improve the overworld... I didn't think he meant turn it into a menu at the time.

The Hermit

Seraphis Cain said:

Me too. Also every time I was grinding I was telling to myself " this boss fight better be worth"... and it was every single cent.

In NMH2 I actually used the same patern in some bosses I use on strong thugs... :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Baiano19 said:
Me too. Also every time I was grinding I was telling to myself " this boss fight better be worth"... and it was every single cent.

In NMH2 I actually used the same patern in some bosses I use on strong thugs... :/

This. Many of the bosses boil down to "wait for them to attack, dodge, attack". Same pattern you use on the beam-katana wielding thugs.
Margaret
and
Alice
are prime examples of this. They're pretty much glorified thugs. :(

Dascu said:
Something I had feared when NMH2 was announced. I was ecstatic that a sequel was on the way, but at the same time I realized that even with all the upgrades, it probably wouldn't be a better game. It doesn't have that same freshness and charm to it anymore. I haven't played it yet, but I sort of know what to expect. It feels like NMH has become mainstream.

Yessss Yessss?

Well, unfortunately I did not get my hands on it's sequel. So, maybe for some of you, it might be a bit underwhelming, but I had played the first backwards and forwards, and had collected and seen absolutely everything before hand.

So, this sequel seems so much more fresh and exciting for me? I guess?

G.O.O.

NMH 1 is NMH 1, NMH 2 is NMH 2. It's still early to compare both, and even knowing this I don't think they should be compared. NMH 1 was out of nowhere, NMH 2 is a sequel and more different than most of sequels. NMH 1 had a linear plot (... sort of) NMH 2's unpredictable.

I personnally think that 2 is more Killer 7-esque. Which is quite weird to say, as the gameplay mechanics are improved according to the mainstream gamer's opinion.

The Hermit

G.O.O. said:
NMH 1 is NMH 1, NMH 2 is NMH 2. It's still early to compare both, and even knowing this I don't think they should be compared. NMH 1 was out of nowhere, NMH 2 is a sequel and more different than most of sequels. NMH 1 had a linear plot (... sort of) NMH 2's unpredictable.

I personnally think that 2 is more Killer 7-esque. Which is quite weird to say, as the gameplay mechanics are improved according to the mainstream gamer's opinion.

I had way more surprises in NMH than NMH2... but that's probably because I was knew what I was expecting this time.

But I agree with the Killer 7 comparison, especially when the cutscenes ends with a black and white frame. But that's it...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, I should mention...if you've been watching all the official trailers for the game, you've already had the biggest WTF moment of the game spoiled for you, when
Jasper's butlers bring in the heads of Henry, Shinobu, and Sylvia on the platters. If you remember the one trailer, you'll know they're fake, because you've seen Henry jump through Jasper's window, clearly alive.

Thanks a lot, UbiSoft. :lol I can only imagine how much more affecting that scene would have been had I not been spoiled on the outcome.

G.O.O.

What I meant there was NMH1 = Rank 10 => earn money => rank 9 => earn money => rank 8 etc. Where 2 is rank 42 => earn money (if you want) => rank 37 => unranked fight => rank 36 => ranked fight on another timeline etc.

The Killer 7 aspect also comes from the fact that you don't really know what's going on while you progress (who's this guy, what are these peep show scenes, what is Sylvia hiding). NMH 1 wasn't that mysterious (excepted for the ending).

Seraphis Cain said:
Oh, I should mention...if you've been watching all the official trailers for the game, you've already had the biggest WTF moment of the game spoiled for you, when
Jasper's butlers bring in the heads of Henry, Shinobu, and Sylvia on the platters. If you remember the one trailer, you'll know they're fake, because you've seen Henry jump through Jasper's window, clearly alive.

Thanks a lot, UbiSoft. :lol I can only imagine how much more affecting that scene would have been had I not been spoiled on the outcome.

I didn't watch the trailer, and normally video game stories don't affect me in any way,
but when I saw that scene, I actually felt pissed and the tiniest bit sick to my stomach because I actually believed it. It was a good scene

Top Bottom