• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

Seraphis Cain said:
This. Many of the bosses boil down to "wait for them to attack, dodge, attack". Same pattern you use on the beam-katana wielding thugs.

How is this different than most of the bosses in the first game?

Caj814

On the final boss. . .HELP!
How the hell do you dodge those teleport punches and then those huge whirlwind punches when he gets low on energy.I've been down to the wire against him 10 fuckin times and it's always one of those moves that kills me!FUCK!

Peff

Caj814 said:
On the final boss. . .HELP!
How the hell do you dodge those teleport punches and then those huge whirlwind punches when he gets low on energy.I've been down to the wire against him 10 fuckin times and it's always one of those moves that kills me!FUCK!

Apparently
dodging forward

GWX

Fuck #24 fight. Fuck it right in the ass. I can't beat that bastard on the mild difficulty. Dammit!

GWX said:
Fuck #24 fight. Fuck it right in the ass. I can't beat that bastard on the mild difficulty. Dammit!

Go back a page, I got a few tips from others about how to beat him, although I don't know if they'll work for me yet.

Mayor Haggar said:
Go back a page, I got a few tips from others about how to beat him, although I don't know if they'll work for me yet.

I wrecked that boss with the longsword, I don't even think I got hit. It knocks him around so easily.

EzLink

Banned
Wow, I'm really surprised at those of you who are saying NMH1 is better. Sure I'm only 3 hours in, but literally everything I can think of so far has been an improvement.

I guess if you love running around bland desolate cities looking for unmarked locations that contain shirts and orbs you are out of luck for this one

Also I'm personally glad the phone is out. Sure, it was one of the best uses of the Wiimote speaker, but it was still a gimmick. Travis walks so painfully slow, and you only get a bit of flavor dialogue. Then you are stuck hearing "Trust your force and enter the garden of madness!" ten times in the game. Not sure why so many people think that line is cool. Plus the sound quality of the speaker is fucking awful

Anyway, I guess its time to grind some money so I can afford better beam swordz

You know, there is something I noticed that I liked a lot more in the first game. I'm only 4 bosses in, but I've had very little reason to care about any of their characters. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually felt bad killing some of the bosses in the first game. Like
Dr. Peace that sang one of my favorite tracks in the first game and talked about his daughter.
Or
Holly Summers who blew herself up.
. I'm sure this will change though.

Penguin

I finally beat that boss having troubles with, it was so intense.

It came down to us both being down to our final chunk of health, and of course my sword energy runs out!

So I run away for a bit to try and charge any amount I could get, and do it JUST in time to dodge his attack and yield the killinng blow. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EzLink said:
Wow, I'm really surprised at those of you who are saying NMH1 is better. Sure I'm only 3 hours in, but literally everything I can think of so far has been an improvement.

The biggest problem with the game for me is actually the 2D minigames. In the first game, you could grind for cash with assassination missions. But in NMH2, you have to do the 2D games. The 2D games are kind of fun to do for short periods as a sort of nostalgia scratch, but ultimately they're not well developed and can be kind of frustrating. Just like with the first game, I'm a bit OCD with the collectibles, so I end up cooking a lot of steaks...

Also, people having trouble with #24? :lol I just spammed A and then dodged whenever I saw his attack coming. #50 was the hardest boss I've fought so far...

mechanically, this is what the first game should've been.
8bit "jobs", overworld traversed via menus, just really awesome production values.

too bad the bosses stink this time around.

Akainu

EzLink said:
I guess if you love running around bland desolate cities looking for unmarked locations that contain shirts and orbs you are out of luck for this one
I think the worst part about traveling through the city was the shitty pixel map. Though the whole thing was horrible.

Also I'm personally glad the phone is out. Sure, it was one of the best uses of the Wiimote speaker, but it was still a gimmick. Travis walks so painfully slow, and you only get a bit of flavor dialogue. Then you are stuck hearing "Trust your force and enter the garden of madness!" ten times in the game. Not sure why so many people think that line is cool. Plus the sound quality of the speaker is fucking awful.
Thank god I hated the phone too.

Are the special power moves like the Ripple Fudge Brownie Pie more...I don't know...make more sense how to get them or is it still horribly random? I remember I kept getting power ups after I just killed everything in the area, so now I'm glowing and crap and walking slow as hell waiting for it to run out.

Akainu said:
I think the worst part about traveling through the city was the shitty pixel map. Though the whole thing was horrible.

Thank god I hated the phone too.

Are the special power moves like the Ripple Fudge Brownie Pie more...I don't know...make more sense how to get them or is it still horribly random? I remember I kept getting power ups after I just killed everything in the area, so now I'm glowing and crap and walking slow as hell waiting for it to run out.

I haven't had that happen for me yet. I've gotten the special powers in the middle of battle everytime.

I'm on the first level with Shinobu and I'm finding that part of what makes this game "shorter" besides the removal of grinding for the entry fees is that most of the pre boss fighting is in a single large area rather than corridor after corridor. I usually expected a couple different areas of random thugs before the boss but now it's like there's 1 and then the boss shows up

Oh and :lol at Shinobu's save. I don't know if I can play this in the room with other people anymore. I haven't even watched the BJ video because of this and people were just coming to grips with the masturbating recharge motion and the random cleavage and panty shots of Silvia during those random cutscenes

Hiltz

Yeah, Shinobu's save is awesome. I made sure my parents and my siblings were out of the room before I proceeded to do a save with her.

I recently beat boss
Ryuji
and did a revenge mission against boss
Kimmy Howell.
I'm about about 7 hours in. I hope I didn't miss any other revenge missions but I get the feeling that I may have given that I waited so long to do my first one.

I'm quite surprised by how well received Desperate Struggle has been with reviewers. It's currently at an impressive 90 score over at Metacritic (even surpassing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom).

I didn't really like fighting boss
Mimmy
with Henry. Her attacks were kind of annoying. Also, Shinobu is way cooler to play as than Henry.

As for the first game, I don't miss the cell phone calls through the Wii remote speaker.
I thought the idea was pretty clever but Silvia's voice just got annoying after a while so I would usually just turn off the volume.

Penguin

How nice, a boss asking you if you were paying attention to the song and if you memorized it, damnit, it was a catchy tune, gonna need to find. :lol

Nicktals

Banned
wait, I can't be the first to notice this...or was it always there??

Possible unlockable spoilers:
I went to load my game, and saw a Deathmatch option! Where you can choose any boss...It has a 'best time' option...And I could choose Kimmy the flute girl, eventhough I never fought her while playing through the game!

GWX

Just defeated rank 24. Using the first Beam Katana was much easier. Just got to my my first revenge mission now :D

Salsa

girlfriend lend me the ntsc console and now im 4 hours in (mild) :D

sooo good, nothing negative to say about it really, its a little faster (the bosses show up, you kill them, not as deep in terms of personality as the first) and im finding the boss fights a bit easier (23rd rank right now), but no biggie, game just keeps getting better.

im sticking with the first katana as well, not liking the others, im sure ill change it when i get the dual beam one

kinggroin

Banned
After putting some time into the game, I'm starting to get the impression that Suda went for a quantity over quality in regards to bosses.

While they've all been pretty zany (maybe wackier than they were in the first), none of them have anything even remotely resembling a personality thatgives any kind of gravity to the fights.

It's like a bunch of disposable henchman with really fancy outfits and exaggeratingly complex weaponry.

*shrugs

The game is still fun, but it's definitely lacking that something that made the first game special enough that it's flaws were overlooked by so many of it's fans.

edit: I will say, the game has me laughing more than I did in the first one.

Threi

notag
I find it amusing how the developed this physics movement technique and proceed to apply it to everything in the game, including tits n ass :lol

Salsa

kinggroin said:
none of them have anything even remotely resembling a personality thatgives any kind of gravity to the fights.

It's like a bunch of disposable henchman with really fancy outfits and exaggeratingly complex weaponry.

i know what you mean, with charlie macdonald
the cutscene went so fast and before i know it the mecha shows up out of nowhere and im fighting
definitely zany and fun, but it feels kinda weird, even for this game, hope some of that changes later on..

Peff

Chairhome said:
Question: Do they other playable characters act as skins, or do they have their own dialogue/story tracks?

They are only playable for a set amount of levels (Henry is playable for a VERY short time). Both of them have their own combo animations and a different action set to the B button. Shinobu jumps (which makes for some awful platforming) and Henry has a Dash move

Threi

notag
kinggroin said:
While they've all been pretty zany (maybe wackier than they were in the first), none of them have anything even remotely resembling a personality that gives any kind of gravity to the fights.
I wouldn't say that none of them resemble a personality (
despite not knowing what the hell is going on I already think Matt Helms is one of the best boss fights in the series
), but I know what you are saying, and I think it's based on a couple things:

1. Not many of the bosses go by aliases, thus you forget their name quickly
2. Unless Sylvia tells you, you wouldn't know their name until it flashes on the kill screen
3. The pre-fight cutscenes (if they even exist) tend to focus more on Travis than the bosses themselves in this game. Not worse, but different.

Chairhome

Peff said:
They are only playable for a set amount of levels (Henry is playable for a VERY short time). Both of them have their own combo animations and a different action set to the B button. Shinobu jumps (which makes for some awful platforming) and Henry has a Dash move
Nekobo said:
The latter

Thanks guys. I was under the impression that you unlock them and play a full playthrough with them.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. While decent, it is no match for the first one. The first one seems to have more character than the second. This one, especially the boss battles, just go through the motions. It's disappointing. I still love the first one.

Edit: I would also add that the bosses (Assassins) in the first game were quite memoriable. In this game I didn't even know who I fighting until their name was flashed on the screen at the end. And I forgotten half of them already.

Top Bottom