• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

slasher_thrasher21 said:
This I do not like!

Im on rank 23 and so far I haven't needed to really use it. (except for one fight)
I've done all the training they would let me do (They stop selling lessons if you keep on leveling up) and I'm playing on Mild.

At first I wasnt too impressed with the minigames other than the 2d charm, but after seeing how much I earn off some of them, Ive been loving them more and more.
space junk and lay the pipe
has made me rich

ILikeFeet

Banned
got up to Rank 25. I must say the intro sequence to
Charlie and his bitches
was pretty goddamned amazing. it really did look like an anime. the music is very disappointing though. I only heard 2 Darkside songs so far (It's Kill or Be Killed Mix and Pure White Tiny Glastonbury). this soundtrack really doesn't stack up with Takada. that's a damn shame that he wasn't involved more. the characters as well are disappointing. they aren't as memorable as the first game. but overall, this game is far better than the first

FlashbladeGAF said:
Im on rank 23 and so far I haven't needed to really use it. (except for one fight)
I've done all the training they would let me do (They stop selling lessons if you keep on leveling up) and I'm playing on Mild.

I only have four more ranks to go. Granted I haven't really done it but once but still I enjoyed it in the first game.

Also talking bosses now... I think that the
million dollar gun guy, or whatever his name was, the guy you fight as shinobu,
was the most forgettable and lame boss I fought.

And whoever wanted to make that bike mini game in a mission... FUCKING HATED IT. Its easy but just stupid.

And last pet peeve, how come some of the missions are simple fighting the bosses. That irks me. Give me some levels.

Anyways, even though thats a hell of alot of negative, still enjoying the game, still happy a NMH 2 was even made, and would gladly take another entry in the series! :D

Threi

notag
ok the first part of the
Ryuji fight
is the crappiest fight in the entire series.
the second part
made it worth it though :D

Finished getting 100% of everything (all clothes and collectibles), now, onto Bitter. Will report back if there is anything different from the other difficulties...

Threi said:
ok the first part of the
Ryuji fight
is the crappiest fight in the entire series.
the second part
made it worth it though :D

Tell me about it! I can't believe I died so many times not knowing what to do. Then it hit me
Oh! you are supposed to knock him off!
:lol

Just beat the rank 2. Now THAT is how a pre/post-battle cutscene is done. The character is developed just the right amount, there's some nice philosophical banter, a fantastic finish with a great cutscene afterwards. The game would've been so much better if all the boss scenes were like this.

Well, I guess it's time to finish this. I'm hoping the final boss doesn't disappoint.

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat the rank 2. Now THAT is how a pre/post-battle cutscene is done. The character is developed just the right amount, there's some nice philosophical banter, a fantastic finish with a great cutscene afterwards. The game would've been so much better if all the boss scenes were like this.

Yeah or the boss
Dr Letz Shake
I thought was done pretty well also.

Gino

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah or the boss
Dr Letz Shake
I liked that fight as well. Funny Dialog, and interesting attacks.

Pretty f-ing hard but I've found I have to retry the bosses at least once.

robotzombie said:
I apologize in advance

:(

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah or the boss
Dr Letz Shake

Yeah, I didn't say they were all bad. For me, the bosses with good scenes/development are
Nathan, Kimmy, Letz Shake, Destroymen, Captain Vladimir (could've been better though), and Alice.
I guess that is a nice amount, but there's still a lot that I can't even remember the names of because they weren't given enough air time for me to care.

Nicktals

Banned
Heh, little thing I noticed, after becoming rank 2 (cutscene spoilers):

While DOWNWARD FUCKING DOGGING Sylvia, letters on the hotel fall off, changing No More Heroes into More Eros, with Eros, of course, being the Greek god of love and sexual desire. At least I'm almost certain that's what left...Nice little addition there, I thought!

Holy shit, the rank one boss is cheap as fucking hell........and where the fuck did
Henry fucking go, he was with me in the cut scene then he is just gone WTF, and if I get knocked out of a window again something is getting destroyed

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Done. So no different ending, no nothing on bitter? Wow, that's pretty disappointing

Gameplay: 2 >> 1
Bosses: 1 >>>> 2
Story: 1 > 2
Minigames: 2 >> 1
Music: 1 >>>>>>>> 2

Overall: 1 >> 2

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just finished the game, and I am really glad I avoided every bit of pre-release media after the announcement trailer. The game was an endless stream of absurdity and it was all new to me. Loved the last boss, though the actual ending
was way more conventional than I was expecting.

yankeeforever2 said:
Holy shit, the rank one boss is cheap as fucking hell........and where the fuck did
Henry fucking go, he was with me in the cut scene then he is just gone WTF, and if I get knocked out of a window again something is getting destroyed

He's hanging out in the corner behind Batt's crashed flying bumper car. Just chillin' and watching you get your ass kicked.

Just beat it. I actually liked the final boss, but it wasn't my favorite in the game; not by a long shot. First game's final boss blows it out of the water
; both of them

Overall, I can't decide which of the games I like better. There was a lot of improvements but also some things that were done better in the first game. As for a lot of the charm being lost, I only half agree. The way I see it, the game still has charm, but it was replaced with "Killer 7 charm" if that makes sense. Rather than the Suda insanity of the first game was replaced wtih the Suda subtlety of his previous console outing. The phone calls had a mysterious atmosphere and reminded me a lot of Killer 7.

I'm going to play the game again on Bitter. Even if I end up liking the first one better, I am very happy one of my favorite games of the generation got a sequel and hope the series continues with another stereotypical sadistic otaku. I'll definitely miss Travis, but I have faith Grasshopper already has someone lined up to take his place. Let's just hope Suda's role doesn't shrink any more.

I am enjoying it so far, but it does not seem as clever as the first one.

Only a couple of fights in, but I do like how it treats the idea of revenge as a sequel.

and the credits, hope there is a cut scene after the credits.

The fuck, that's it

edit: Wow That is up there in games with bad endings, fuck the NMH joke ending was better then that.

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat it. I actually liked the final boss, but it wasn't my favorite in the game; not by a long shot. First game's final boss blows it out of the water
; both of them

Overall, I can't decide which of the games I like better. There was a lot of improvements but also some things that were done better in the first game. As for a lot of the charm being lost, I only half agree. The way I see it, the game still has charm, but it was replaced with "Killer 7 charm" if that makes sense. Rather than the Suda insanity of the first game was replaced wtih the Suda subtlety of his previous console outing. The phone calls had a mysterious atmosphere and reminded me a lot of Killer 7.

I'm going to play the game again on Bitter. Even if I end up liking the first one better, I am very happy one of my favorite games of the generation got a sequel and hope the series continues with another stereotypical sadistic otaku. I'll definitely miss Travis, but I have faith Grasshopper already has someone lined up to take his place. Let's just hope Suda's role doesn't shrink any more.

I really think they should continue it with Shinobu. Just replace her terrible jumping with wrestling attacks (instead of Travis's grappling/powermoves, go for a more Mexican Luchidor style), allow her to buy and upgrade multiple katanas or other japanese weapons, maybe give her something unique in terms of her mechanical arm, etc.

robotzombie said:
I really think they should continue it with Shinobu. Just replace her terrible jumping with wrestling attacks (instead of Travis's grappling/powermoves, go for a more Mexican Luchidor style), allow her to buy and upgrade multiple katanas or other japanese weapons, maybe give her something unique in terms of her mechanical arm, etc.

Eh, I really thought Travis being a smelly awkward otaku was a big part of the appeal. He's the "No More Hero", so without someone like that, the game wouldn't be the same at all. I'm not gonna say the series can't continue in a good direction without Travis because I don't believe that at all, but it's hard to imagine any other archetype taking his place. Yeah, I don't want the new guy to be exactly like Travis, but he should at least have the same interests and social skills.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Currently on the rank 23 mission. Question:

Do I get anything for staying stealthy, or can you just smash through the enemies without missing some kind of reward?

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
Unsure when this hits Oz - but this thread has got me all excited. I am yet to finish No more Heroes 1 but have a free weekend next week so will do it then.

GaimeGuy said:
Currently on the rank 23 mission. Question:

Do I get anything for staying stealthy, or can you just smash through the enemies without missing some kind of reward?

dont worry about the stealth, i just got caught once i started and it doesnt change anything...just have to fight before you fight more henchmen

The Hermit

Seraphis Cain said:
You know, I'm as much of a Suda fan as anyone (I have the man's autograph!), but seriously, how many free passes can he get? I understand he has his own unique style, but to believe that everything bad in every one of his games is intentional/meant to be a parody is pretty foolish. :lol

Well, he's not having a free pass, the first game was a parody of a bunch of things, but it was an awesome experience, while this time its actually curbing the fun...

EzLink

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I'll definitely miss Travis, but I have faith Grasshopper already has someone lined up to take his place.

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, I don't want the new guy to be exactly like Travis, but he should at least have the same interests and social skills.

What the fuck is this shit? If Travis ends up dying at the end of the game or leaves the business of assassinating and you spoiled it for me with your lack of tags I'm going to be beyond pissed.
If not then we'll be best friends forever

EzLink said:
What the fuck is this shit? If Travis ends up dying at the end of the game or leaves the business of assassinating and you spoiled it for me with your lack of tags I'm going to be beyond pissed.
If not then we'll be best friends forever

Suda said this would be Travis' last game long before it came out.

Salsa

i dont get what`s with everyone saying how hard the gym is, the muscle minigame was easily my favorite of the entire game, and not really that hard.

Nicktals

Banned
So who has beaten this game on bitter already? Anything different?

I beat it on Sweet, and am up to the last fight on Mild. I have a feeling it will take me a loooong time on bitter. But if I knew there was a reward of any kind, that'd be plenty of motivation.

deadmuffin said:
didnt he also say that he didnt mean for it to have a sequel...i think his line was "but sequels do happen"

Yeah, but this was after it was already established it would probably become a series. Of course you never know with that guy. He might change his mind and Travis may return for the next game. I'd probably like that more than some new guy.

NotWii

Banned
BorkBork said:
Done. So no different ending, no nothing on bitter? Wow, that's pretty disappointing

Gameplay: 2 >> 1
Bosses: 1 >>>> 2
Story: 1 > 2
Minigames: 2 >> 1
Music: 1 >>>>>>>> 2

Overall: 1 >> 2
Exactly how I gauged it

dkeane

Amazon got this to me today and after 2 hours I'm really enjoying it more than the first.

How do I do the treadmill in the gym? Alternating B + Z isn't working.

I really love the style of No More Heroes, I hope they keep making more games in the series.

cosmicblizzard said:
; both of them

spoiler :(:(

crazy monkey said:

As I just said, this isn't a spoiler. We knew this was Travis' last game for a while.

Edit: I guess I'm not being clear. This "new guy" I'm talking about is just speculation. No one knows what the next game will be like or even if the series will continue. Maybe this one bombs and Grasshopper drops it.

MNC

I'm scared of everyone liking part 1 better boss and ending wise. Some keypoints of the first game were the bosses! :(

Threi

notag
pablitomm_uy said:
i dont get what`s with everyone saying how hard the gym is, the muscle minigame was easily my favorite of the entire game, and not really that hard.
The large dumbbells piss me off. You physically hit them, and still get hit because they use the same hitbox as the small dumbells. Not to mention if you miss those you fail. Aside from that I like the game. The treadmill makes my fingers hurt :(

ixix

Threi said:
The large dumbbells piss me off. You physically hit them, and still get hit because they use the same hitbox as the small dumbells. Not to mention if you miss those you fail. Aside from that I like the game. The treadmill makes my fingers hurt :(

Getting hit by one of the large ones isn't insta-fail. It doesn't seem to count any more against you than getting hit by one of the small ones does. I finished the final muscle training successfully in spite of getting smacked by two of them.

Nicktals

Banned
Beat it for the second time. First time on sweet, this time on mild...playtime 15:40 (for both combined)...

Now to start bitter......

Jenga

Banned
some discussion about the ending

So anyways, the way I see it, shortly after the #1 boss fight, Travis dismantles the UAA like he intended to forcing Sylvia to take up the life of a stripper because she now has no means of income. Before all she did was either con people until the UAA actually became legitimate after the first game.

Travis visits her out of sympathy, and finally decides to reveal himself when it turns out she really did care for Travis after basically recounting NMH2. I'm assuming shit is going down in Santa Destroy due to the UAA's absence and Travis is returning with Sylvia to kick ass for whatever reason. Following the whole theme of revenge and retribution, I can only assume whatever is happening in Santa Destroy is a direct result of the dismantling of the UAA and Travis now has to deal with the consequences.

Cowie

Just finished the game.. it doesn't leave you with the same feeling the first did, but I still had a lot of fun. Maybe it suffers from not being the first time I've played No More Heroes.

A small game question,
Can you really only buy 2 katanas from Naomi? She said something to me about saving up money so I could afford 'my next toy', but I didn't think I'd have to just grind cash until she'd even show me an item, so I haven't. But I've also been afraid to buy clothing just in case ;\

Beat the game this morning, I'm really torn because I thought that the game would have been better than 1 in every way. And that's strange because the actual "game" part of the game is better than NMH 1. But

- the music is much better in NMH 1. I'm glad that the game used the tracks from the Dark Side album,
Margaret
's theme owns, and the chiptune music for the minigames is really catchy. But I was expecting an overall soundtrack akin to Takada's work on the first game; what we got was hit and miss
- the bosses not as memorable as the crew from the first game. I'm pretty sure after beating NMH1, I could name all of the bosses. Now I think the reason why some of the new bosses aren't that memorable is because they are sort of just thrown at us with no introduction . Since in the first game, the name and silhouette of each boss, along with a quick voice clip was shown prior to each ranking battle, so you got a sense of the type of character you're gonna face at the end of the stage. In the sequel, bosses are sort of just thrown at you, sometimes without much of an introduction of who exactly they are.
- what's up with Dr. Naomi? I thought she'd be more than a pair of swords and a pair of double E's. Where are my sword upgrades?

ixix

Jenga said:
some discussion about the ending

So anyways, the way I see it, shortly after the #1 boss fight, Travis dismantles the UAA like he intended to forcing Sylvia to take up the life of a stripper because she now has no means of income. Before all she did was either con people until the UAA actually became legitimate after the first game.

Travis visits her out of sympathy, and finally decides to reveal himself when it turns out she really did care for Travis after basically recounting NMH2. I'm assuming shit is going down in Santa Destroy due to the UAA's absence and Travis is returning with Sylvia to kick ass for whatever reason. Following the whole theme of revenge and retribution, I can only assume whatever is happening in Santa Destroy is a direct result of the dismantling of the UAA and Travis now has to deal with the consequences.

I figured with what Sylvia said at the beginning about Pizza Bat being the financier for all of Santa Destroy's development that they were also funding the UAA. So when Travis kills Batt Jr. the UAA ceases to exist, Sylvia runs off, Travis finds her, she tells the story, she and Travis hook up, everybody's happy.

By Suda standards I thought it was a remarkably straightforward ending.

This may be a dumb question, but do we ever find out
who Pizza Batt Jr was referring to when he said Travis killed his family? Either I'm forgetting something very important or they were generic thugs.

NotWii

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
who Pizza Batt Jr was referring to when he said Travis killed his family? Either I'm forgetting something very important or they were generic thugs.
The latter,
you would've cut them down in the Pizza Butt Assassination Missions in NMH1, they're meant to be generic thugs which allows for some reflection on the player's part, I thought it was interesting to look at videogame deaths

imthemaid

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

The first guy you fight in NMH2 and the guy Travis fights in NMH1 in the opening cut scene are his brothers.

imthemaid

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
what's up with Dr. Naomi? I thought she'd be more than a pair of swords and a pair of double E's. Where are my sword upgrades?

She built that robot for you, and you still haven't paid her for it, ingrate.

cosmicblizzard said:
; both of them

All according to plan :D

EzLink

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Suda said this would be Travis' last game long before it came out.

It doesn't matter, even if something like that does happen at the end I'm over it anyway. Time to be best friends forever mkay? :p

I have the next three days off. I'm gonna beat this and probably play through it again. VERY glad I'm done with the gym and revenge missions

Top Bottom