• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

NotWii

Banned
imthemaid said:
The first guy you fight in NMH2 and the guy Travis fights in NMH1 in the opening cut scene are his brothers.
I've heard this being thrown around, but what connection is there?
His name isn't
Jasper Skelter

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
EzLink said:
The only difference between the two is tone
No, the difference is that the former is the process of determining entertainment value and the latter is the process of determining academic value.

EzLink

Banned
doomed1 said:
No, the difference is that the former is the process of determining entertainment value and the latter is the process of determining academic value.

Semantics my dear friend!

I'm just going by my experience with how the two words are applied. I'm too lazy to go to a dictionary for technicalities!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wii said:
The latter,
you would've cut them down in the Pizza Butt Assassination Missions in NMH1, they're meant to be generic thugs which allows for some reflection on the player's part, I thought it was interesting to look at videogame deaths

I thought that was fucking hilarious actually.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
yankeeforever2 said:
and the credits, hope there is a cut scene after the credits.

The fuck, that's it

edit: Wow That is up there in games with bad endings, fuck the NMH joke ending was better then that.

Uhhhh I definitely saw a cutscene after the credits. You didn't?

Uncle AJ

I... finished it?

My copy must be messed up or something, because I never fought that Kimmy girl once. I jumped straight from Matt Helms to Cloe Walsh. Didn't even know about her until I saw her portrait at the Death Match select screen.

I also never encountered any "Revenge Missions" and still have no idea what those are.

I'm feeling very... unfulfilled at the moment.

Luigi87

Mo the Hawk said:
I... finished it?

My copy must be messed up or something, because I never fought that Kimmy girl once. I jumped straight from Matt Helms to Cloe Walsh. Didn't even know about her until I saw her portrait at the Death Match select screen.

I also never encountered any "Revenge Missions" and still have no idea what those are.

I'm feeling very... unfulfilled at the moment.

Revenge Missions appear at the bottom of the map screen when you select where to go (below the side-jobs).
Kimmy is encountered when you leave the motel and then return to it, at some point after you've beaten Charlie.

EzLink said:
It doesn't matter, even if something like that does happen at the end I'm over it anyway. Time to be best friends forever mkay? :p

I have the next three days off. I'm gonna beat this and probably play through it again. VERY glad I'm done with the gym and revenge missions

lol okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

hellclerk

EzLink said:
Semantics my dear friend!

I'm just going by my experience with how the two words are applied. I'm too lazy to go to a dictionary for technicalities!
As a literature academic I HAVE to know the difference between the two words. What you're looking for is the difference between complaining criticism and constructive criticism.

Uncle AJ

Luigi87 said:
Revenge Missions appear at the bottom of the map screen when you select where to go (below the side-jobs).

I'd love to go check this right now, but loading my Rank 1 clear save forces me to start a new game. :/ But I'm almost positive that my menu always stopped at Side Job 8. I definitely never got a notification that they became available like the "It's Whore Time!" messages.

Kimmy is encountered when you leave the motel and then return to it, at some point after you've beaten Charlie.

I turned the game off right after beating Charlie and saving, so that may have something to do with it... but that's still totally lame. Why would I return to the motel for any reason before doing the next ranking battle?

And another thing! I didn't get jack shit for taking care of the cat! Got it down to 15 lbs. Nothing. Fuck you, Jeane.

Mo the Hawk said:
I turned the game off right after beating Charlie and saving, so that may have something to do with it... but that's still totally lame. Why would I return to the motel for any reason before doing the next ranking battle?

And another thing! I didn't get jack shit for taking care of the cat! Got it down to 15 lbs. Nothing. Fuck you, Jeane.

I always returned to save. I'm surprised you didn't return once between missions the entire game. I always went back to see if there would be
another lower ranked fighter after me.

As for the cat, you need to get her down to around 10 lbs. You
learn a cool nunchuk technique.

Uncle AJ

cosmicblizzard said:
I always returned to save. I'm surprised you didn't return once between missions the entire game. I always went back to see if there would be
another lower ranked fighter after me.

Eh, just created more needless loading times if you ask me.

As for the cat, you need to get her down to around 10 lbs. You
learn a cool nunchuk technique.

a pair of beam-chucks? Or just a new move you can do with the katanas? I will play the whole damn game again if it means beam-chucks.

Mo the Hawk said:
Eh, just created more needless loading times if you ask me.

a pair of beam-chucks? Or just a new move you can do with the katanas? I will play the whole damn game again if it means beam-chucks.

A move. Do you remember the move when Travis spins through the air in the first game and the katana fucks up everything in range? It's like that which is particularly awesome with the dual katanas. You have to shake the nunchuk to do it.

Cowie

Mo the Hawk said:

15 lbs? You're a CAT HATING QUITTER

A quick google search would reveal that the average weight of a healthy adult female cat is anywhere from 9 to 11 lbs. Once you get her under 11, you get the technique.

Poyunch

Currently playing. I don't know how to feel about the game. It seems more refined but not really an improvement from the original (I don't know if that makes sense). Something feels missing from the original that I really miss. I'm hoping it's not due to the missing awe I got from playing something as refreshing as the original.

I'm going to fight
Kimmy
next.

Some stuff that annoys me:
  • Grinding money is more annoying. (Money is not rewarded after missions/lack of paying assassination gigs/No way of seeing amount of money on the map)
  • Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm a bit early in the game but the levels seem shorter. I enjoyed killing fodder.
  • The whole jump from
    Rank 50
    to
    Rank 25
    . I understand that
    there would be some battles where ranked assassins work together but I sort of felt ripped off.

hellclerk

Curious, does anyone know if the minigames are more forgiving on easy? When I get my Wii in and run through it again, I'd like to know so I can just get all the upgrades.

G.O.O.

Jenga said:
some discussion about the ending

So anyways, the way I see it, shortly after the #1 boss fight, Travis dismantles the UAA like he intended to forcing Sylvia to take up the life of a stripper because she now has no means of income. Before all she did was either con people until the UAA actually became legitimate after the first game.

Travis visits her out of sympathy, and finally decides to reveal himself when it turns out she really did care for Travis after basically recounting NMH2. I'm assuming shit is going down in Santa Destroy due to the UAA's absence and Travis is returning with Sylvia to kick ass for whatever reason. Following the whole theme of revenge and retribution, I can only assume whatever is happening in Santa Destroy is a direct result of the dismantling of the UAA and Travis now has to deal with the consequences.
I don't think there is much logical sense here. Remember NMH1's ending ? We still don't know for sure what has been going on, and now we know we probably never will. It's probably more symbolic.

If you let alone the vengeance theme, which isn't the main theme of the game imo, there is a lot to say about the relationship between Travis and Sylvia

like how she starts as a sexual object (Travis only looks at her breasts and her crotch) and ends as a sensitive person, far from the UAA bitch we/Travis used to know

NMH2 is more touching than NMH1.

I still have to figure out what's the deal with Henry. He still seems to be Suda's voice, at least for one thing, but I'm totally lost about his playable part.

edit :

Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm a bit early in the game but the levels seem shorter. I enjoyed killing fodder.
There are longer levels near the end. Pretty much NMH1's opposite here.

hellclerk

PounchEnvy said:
  • The whole jump from
    Rank 50
    to
    Rank 25
    . I understand that
    there would be some battles where ranked assassins work together but I sort of felt ripped off.
I'm going to warn you right here: that doesn't happen in any stage
unless you count Destroymen, and even then they count as one rank

G.O.O. said:
I still have to figure out what's the deal with Henry. He still seems to be Suda's voice, at least for one thing, but I'm totally lost about his playable part.

That would definitely explain
the dream :lol

Edit: Didn't understand the second part of your sentence at first. Considering Suda is crazy and probably would day dream stuff like that when bored, it makes sense.
Either way, it's only a dream.

G.O.O.

Actually, the "one thing" I was referring to is
when he says "I have standards too" before the final battle, referring to how ridiculous it is

Sorry about my turn of phrase, I'm not very clear in my own native language either :lol

G.O.O. said:
Actually, the "one thing" I was referring to is
when he says "I have standards too" before the final battle, referring to how ridiculous it is

Sorry about my turn of phrase, I'm not very clear in my own native language either :lol

No, I figured that's what you meant. I was talking about his playable part, which I wouldn't think too much about.

Anyway, there's another part that fits your theory.
Him killing the 6 and 5 for Travis and talking about the game chock full of content as it is echoes the sentiments of a lead developer.

G.O.O.

You're right, I forgot that.

About the fight,
Mimmy is pretty much an incarnation of the whole manga-kawaii-mecha culture, like a monstruous version of what Bizarre Jelly mocks. Henry fighting it could be Suda fighting the kid-friendly sub-culture he criticizes in video games - which also makes sense, since the NMH series is his attempt to be known in the mainstream market

Besides that,
Takashi Miike is credited !

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm up to rank 8 I believe. My complaints echo most peoples so far; music isn't as memorable or original, and its lacking some of the magic of the original.

That being said its still a very, very enjoyable game. The combat is leagues better and the boss fights are still tons of fun. Rolling has a lot more worth here and I like. Its also still really funny and has great filmclips.

Feels like a sequel, really, in the most literal sense.

ZealousD

For anybody having trouble on the final boss,
second forum.
:

Use the slow, powerful katana. It's a billion times more effective than any other katana on that fight.

cosmicblizzard said:
For me, the bosses with good scenes/development are
Nathan, Kimmy, Letz Shake, Destroymen, Captain Vladimir (could've been better though), and Alice.
I guess that is a nice amount, but there's still a lot that I can't even remember the names of because they weren't given enough air time for me to care.

I mostly agree with this list, but I would add
Margaret

Mafro

I'm in the UK, My US copy arrived this moring form Video Games Plus and I can confirm it works with Gecko OS if anyone was wondering.

Was suprised to see the credited
Takashi Miike
was in the game.
Pretty sure he was the friend of Bishop who gives you
Rose Nasty.
An odd appearance of a character in the game that's made cool by it being him.

I'm participating in the rank 24 battle as of now.

What seems to really make this difficult is the restricting area without much movement. I can't even deploy my darkstep tactics because this Jason rip off doesn't combo at all

I do like the theme music. Any advice?

Urban Scholar said:
I'm participating in the rank 24 battle as of now.

What seems to really make this difficult is the restricting area without much movement. I can't even deploy my darkstep tactics because this Jason rip off doesn't combo at all

I do like the theme music. Any advice?

Use the
longsword. It wrecks him easily. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this guy but I didn't have an ounce, I'm pretty sure that sword was the reason why

robotzombie said:
Use the
longsword. It wrecks him easily. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this guy but I didn't have an ounce, I'm pretty sure that sword was the reason why

I just bought the sword that resembles Tsubaki MKIII from the first. Hmm, it I had known I would have played more of the side jobs to get $$$. I actually figured out that if I have him knock down a few walls and such I have more room to move and that seems to be working.

Thank you

Dascu

Finally got the game.

Fuck you guys, the music rocks. Love the overworld theme. Side-jobs range from so-so (stupid fucking tiles) to awesome (Man the Meat). Gym training is a BITCH though.

G.O.O.

Oh, and do you think Mrs. Howell could be a reference to James Clinton Howell, the guy who wrote the Killer 7 plot analysis ? That would be fucking awesome.

6 hours in rank 24, just beat Matt Helms, loving it even more so far.

I really think this game is about instant gratification. Both attaining it and teasing it. Suda loves to mess with the player.

Mafro

Third boss was ridiculous :lol

Loving this so far, but I'm one of the few people in the world a bit annoyed that they took out the 3D overworld, I loved zooming around on the bike.

Completed it last night. Felt the last two levels were TOO damn long! Though I enjoyed the boss fights.

Also finished the final boss in two tries so not sure why everyone was having a major hard time with them.

Overall enjoyed it. Glad I played it. I still rank the first as a better game imo but two isn't super far behind.

Definetly love the Suda 51 games. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Got to rank 24 last night and the game feels like it's going through the motions. Save for some cool cut scenes, I feel like the sequel has lost a lot of the personality that made the first one so enjoyable for me. Will hold off full judgement until I get further through the game though.

Boney

Banned
dsc07745j.jpg

:D

Scythesurge said:
Got to rank 24 last night and the game feels like it's going through the motions. Save for some cool cut scenes, I feel like the sequel has lost a lot of the personality that made the first one so enjoyable for me. Will hold off full judgement until I get further through the game though.

Don't know how you can say it's just going through the motions when so much was done so purposefully to change up the formula.

As for loss of personality, that seems inherent in a sequel. If anyone where to play 2 before 1 they'd probably say that that the first one doesn't feel fresh.

VistraNorrez said:
Don't know how you can say it's just going through the motions when so much was done so purposefully to change up the formula.

As for loss of personality, that seems inherent in a sequel. If anyone where to play 2 before 1 they'd probably say that that the first one doesn't feel fresh.
It sounds like you thought that I meant that the game hasn't changed much from the first, which is not what I meant. I was trying to say that the levels and bosses so far have seemed to be, for lack of a better word, filler. In the first game, each time you went into a level/boss fight you knew that it was going to be a big clash. Here, the impact is lessened: choose top option from menu, get dropped in random location, fight some thugs until the path opens up, cut scene which is cool, fight which is eh, then dead and repeat. In between you do the jobs/gym which to me haven't been as fun and I am sorely missing the overworld.

Edit: I really want to stop complaining about stuff in this game because I have only played for 3 hours. I think the game will get better, and some of my complaints will become irrelevant, but those are just my initial impressions.

Edit 2: Also wanted to add that the music is not nearly as good in this game.

I've been playing this game a bit and honestly guys I don't know. I was glancing at the reviews of the first game on Metacritic and a whole bunch of em complained that the hub world wasn't a very good open world game and wasn't as good as Grand Theft Auto. I have to say that the list for selecting stores, missions and side jobs now is an even worse open world game and has nothing at all on Grand Theft Auto. What were they thinking?

EzLink

Banned
voodoopanda said:
I've been playing this game a bit and honestly guys I don't know. I was glancing at the reviews of the first game on Metacritic and a whole bunch of em complained that the hub world wasn't a very good open world game and wasn't as good as Grand Theft Auto. I have to say that the list for selecting stores, missions and side jobs now is an even worse open world game and has nothing at all on Grand Theft Auto. What were they thinking?

I'd much rather have a menu to select from than have to travel a dull lifeless overworld to get from one place to another. My first time playing the original I kinda liked the overworld, but after replaying it last week those were by far the worst parts of the game for me. This new system allows you to travel straight to the action whenever you want to. Sure, a well fleshed out overworld that actually IS fun and has stuff to do would be better than this, but I'm guessing they ran out of time to do that

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Question: is Masafumi Takada the composer for this game again?

I need to know before I harass for either this or TatsuCap as my birthday gift.

Peff

Regulus Tera said:
Question: is Masafumi Takada the composer for this game again?

I need to know before I harass for either this or TatsuCap as my birthday gift.

He wasn't involved in this one :( Personally I think the OST isn't quite as good as the first one because of the lifted tracks and general quality of the new ones, but there is definitely some great stuff there too. One song in particular :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Peff said:
He wasn't involved in this one :( Personally I think the OST isn't quite as good as the first one because of the lifted tracks and general quality of the new ones, but there is definitely some great stuff there too. One song in particular :D

Who is the composer then?

It looks like NMH2 can wait.

ZealousD

EzLink said:
Sure, a well fleshed out overworld that actually IS fun and has stuff to do would be better than this, but I'm guessing they ran out of time to do that

I think they actually had an overworld built (
You can sorta tell from the credits
), but it wasn't anymore "filled" with stuff to do than in the first game. Mark me down for another one who kinda missed the overworld.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mayor Haggar said:
Yeah, don't buy it anytime soon.

You know, not that it doesn't need a decent showing in NPD next month or anything.

The only reason I'm buying TatsuCap first is that it is in more of a dire need for support than NMH2. NMH at least managed to be a sales success, while TatsuCap's half of the character roster already dooms it to the bomba bin.

Top Bottom