• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PounchEnvy said:
Hey I prefer it over the annoyingly huge hitboxes in Bug Out and the length of the other minigames.

I did say most boring. Those games count as frustrating.

Honestly, Pizza With A Vengeance is the only one I really enjoyed for longer than 5 minutes, but Stage 4 is so hard that it's terrible for getting cash.

Nicktals

Banned
MiniDitka said:
So did anyone else besides me get launched out the window by
Batt Jr's second form
:lol

Never happened on sweet or mild, but i'm at about 20 or so on bitter. Seriously, even any ideas?

I was off previously. I'm usually dead when he's right about 50%, and I can only dodge the teleport about 25% of the time.

I've been at it for close to 3 hours. I didn't die once on sweet or mild, and (not counting the
bike segment
, only died 3 times up to this point on bitter.

I've died at least 100 times here. I don't know what else to even try!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
PounchEnvy said:
Basically. I just constantly do Man the Meat.
I basically do this, but mix it up with pizza delivery or the coconut one when it gets boring.

::edit::
Stolen from a post on GameFAQs -

The best way to get money is the mini-game "Getting Trashed".

Play levels 1 - 3 normally.

On level 4, pick up and return all of the trash except for one. With that once piece of trash, move is close to your spaceship, but do not return it. Kill yourself. Now grab the piece of trash and return it. This level alone can easily get you 100K. Altogether, the mini-game nets me about 150K.
May try this later to see if it works, but honestly that's the only game I haven't finished because it was frustrating as hell.

MiniDitka said:
So did anyone else besides me get launched out the window by
Batt Jr's second form
:lol

YES! Its so annoying...I hate his teleport move..and just when you think it can't get any harder...BAM...3 tornado punches >_<

Nicktals said:
Never happened on sweet or mild, but i'm at about 20 or so on bitter. Seriously, even any ideas?

I was off previously. I'm usually dead when he's right about 50%, and I can only dodge the teleport about 25% of the time.

I've been at it for close to 3 hours. I didn't die once on sweet or mild, and (not counting the
bike segment
, only died 3 times up to this point on bitter.

I've died at least 100 times here. I don't know what else to even try!

I know what you mean. I'm in the same situation. I finally gave up. Gonna try again tomorrow. Good thing
his first form is easy.
I did all the stuff people are saying on gamefaqs, but that isn't working. Seriously, this fight seems to rely on luck more than anything. It's ridiculous.

Nicktals

Banned
Monroeski said:
May try this later to see if it works, but honestly that's the only game I haven't finished because it was frustrating as hell.

It works. Also my favorite game, so it works out well!

Nicktals

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I know what you mean. I'm in the same situation. I finally gave up. Gonna try again tomorrow. Good thing
his first form is easy.
I did all the stuff people are saying on gamefaqs, but that isn't working. Seriously, this fight seems to rely on luck more than anything. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, same here. I may actually just wait to see if a strategy emerges.

I just had my best one though! got him down to 1/4, and I still had 1/4 left, and i was on point....

Out the window :(

EzLink

Banned
Just beat it.
I'm so disappointed that the final boss is easily one if, if not the worst in the series. It's so gimmicky and frusterating, and it's followed by a completely underwhelming ending. I hate it when games fizzle at the end :/

Overall though great experience. I just can't believe how bad the last hour was (an hour for me, because that's how long it took me to beat the little bitch :p)

Poyunch

ZealousD said:
I did say most boring. Those games count as frustrating.

Honestly, Pizza With A Vengeance is the only one I really enjoyed for longer than 5 minutes, but Stage 4 is so hard that it's terrible for getting cash.
I haven't played it as much. I think I only tried it once. :p

First time at the gym and I don't get the stamina mini-game. The only instructions are press b and z alternatively. Yet this runs me right off the track and I can't seem to change my direction with the analog stick. I've just wasted 6000$ on the fucking mini-game, what am I doing wrong.

Rovert40

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
I know this isn't the right thread for it, but i suggest you check the avatar sticky thread soon before you lose your avatar and be stuck with
badav.png

Thank you for the heads-up.

Now to go and beat that damn final boss...

Finished it at about 16 hours. Really loved it, perfect sequel.

Once again the design of the game really stands out from the original. There is just so much they did to consciously go against the first game. Which for me gave it a wonderful freshness. I really liked the ending, and for me the ending includes the boss battle. But the credit sequence and music were great, and the final moment was touching.

I didn't really have much issue with the mechanics of the game. Shinobu's platforming was no problem. Ryan's Gym games were fun. The stamina was easy, rarely did it take me more than one try. The muscle one was frustrating, but you just have to keep trying, things begin to click, and it's so satisfying to beat. I spent a lot of time in the side jobs. Man the Meat got the most play, mostly because it was the easiest to get money, but it is oddly addictive. I liked Pizza with A Vengeance too. Very satisfying to beat stage 4. Didn't beat Getting Trashed, but that can be really fun.

It was also cool to see the Motel room fill up with collectibles. I liked searching for them in each stage. It made up for not being able to search the overworld.

Started up a new game on Bitter. Skelter Helter was kicking my ass for while, but I figured out a strategy that knocks him off pretty quick. I think my Death Match time is under 2 minutes.

I'm sure this was brought up at some point in the thread, but did you guys all know you can revive yourself by shaking the Wiimote frantically? As long as Travis isn't killed while already on the ground, you can do this 5 or 6 times.

Beat the game and I'm not really that disappointed with the ending, since obviously Suda 51 was going for something different this time. The only thing I was disappointed with was
the lack of a rematch with Henry.
Started up the game on bitter and Skelter Helter is a royal pain in the ass.
VistraNorrez said:
Started up a new game on Bitter. Skelter Helter was kicking my ass for while, but I figured out a strategy that knocks him off pretty quick. I think my Death Match time is under 2 minutes.
That strategy is relevant to my interests.

God fucking damn it, this is starting to piss me off. -_-

Hiltz

I played one of the Bizarre Jelly 5 anime videos and I'm so glad that no one else was in the room. I'll never understand the interest in that sort of thing. Just weird and creepy in my opinion.

By the way, what do you get if you exercise Jean enough to a certain weight ?

knkng

Hiltz said:
Get her to 10lbs and you get a spinning sword move. You use it by shaking the nunchuck in battle, it's quite useful.

Beat the game earlier today, and I thought it was fantastic. I only got really frustrated twice, the most frustrating part being the rank 1 battle (but still fun enough to complete). I also really enjoyed the ending (after the credits), I thought it was really sweet and kind of tied together what we had been seeing throughout the entire game.

Started up a second game on Bitter mode and got my ass handed to me repeatedly by Skelter Helter. I eventually beat him, but I think I'll just finish buying all the clothes and then put the game back on the shelf for now. I'm clearly not hardcore enough for Bitter mode. :lol

Hiltz said:
I played one of the Bizarre Jelly 5 anime videos and I'm so glad that no one else was in the room. I'll never understand the interest in that sort of thing. Just weird and creepy in my opinion.

Those videos are really weird, me like though :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
jaundicejuice said:
First time at the gym and I don't get the stamina mini-game. The only instructions are press b and z alternatively. Yet this runs me right off the track and I can't seem to change my direction with the analog stick. I've just wasted 6000$ on the fucking mini-game, what am I doing wrong.

When you press the direction on the analog stick don't touch any other buttons. You need to stop running, turn around, then start running again.

Roto13

I think Suda crossed a few lines with this one. I didn't mind the overworld stuff in NMH 1 so much because it was always leading up to something spectacular. After a certain point early in NMH 2, my mind stopped being blown and everything got kind of underwhelming. And the ending was terrible and the
Henry
stuff was just... wrong. That was cruel. There's absolutely nothing in NMH 2 that comes anywhere close to the last few bosses in NMH 1.

Now that I have beat Skelter Helter on bitter, I think I'll not bother with bitter for a while for the sake of my sanity.

I wonder if they are already going to start working on a third game, because they have to. >_< Suda 51 better fully direct the next one.

MiniDitka

Roto13 said:
I think Suda crossed a few lines with this one. I didn't mind the overworld stuff in NMH 1 so much because it was always leading up to something spectacular. After a certain point early in NMH 2, my mind stopped being blown and everything got kind of underwhelming. And the ending was terrible and the
Henry
stuff was just... wrong. That was cruel. There's absolutely nothing in NMH 2 that comes anywhere close to the last few bosses in NMH 1.
I finished it tonight and kinda feel the same way, while I thought it was good and had fun was underwhelmed and at times felt like I was just going through the motions. I have no desire to play this again like I did the first and will probably trade it in.

That Henry boss fucked me up like 10x cuz I could not find the pizza health. Such a weird fucking fight that made no sense and it even counted as a rank and lol after the fight :lol

Kinosen

Neo Member
Ok, so now I've finished my first playthrough at about 16 hours( I can finally start getting into TvC, yeah!)

Gameplay:

Where NMH 2 really shines over the original is in gameplay structure. Instead of having to travel on foot or motorcyle to eaching ranking battle or side job, you select locations on the city map directly. At first I wasn't really sure about how I felt about this. The open city was definitely undeveloped in the first game, but sometimes I liked riding around in the Schpeltiger and collecting the Lovikov balls. Over time though, I really enjoyed how convenient it was to go straight to each area.

Another huge improvement over the first NMH is that you never have to pay for any of the ranking battles or the revenge missions. I really hated how in NMH you had to grind enough money through the boring jobs(though the assassination missions were fun) before each fight. With NMH 2, if you want to just play through each ranking battle one after another, you can!

However, you still might want to earn money to improve Travis' strength and stamina, customize his clothes, or get the new beam katana from Naomi, so it's great that the side jobs are by and large more fun than the original. Most of them are now 2D games based on the 8-bit NES era. I only wish that there were maybe a couple more 2D games since I played the same bunch over and over, though they were still fun each time.

The actual combat system is pretty much the same as the first, with regular sword attacks on the A button, melee attacks on B, and gesture based finishers. You can also tilt the Wiimote to change between high and low stance attacks, and make a single quick slash by flicking the Wiimote while running. The Z button lets you lock on and automatically guard. There are other little elements too, like sidestepping and the double slash. To be completely honest, I think the NMH series has easily the best motion-based third person action combat so far. When you're using combinations of each aspect of the combat, everything just flows really well.

Story:

I would describe the story in the first No More Heroes as being very unexectedly satisfying. If you went into the game with zero to low expectations of story, then the way the ending tied things up was really suprising. Unfortunately, NMH 2 seems to try harder with the story,
basically with the question of who Silvia is talking to on the phone
but it definitely falls short. The resolution in NMH 2 is ok, but it definitely lacks the punch that the first one had.

Graphics/Presentation:

The graphics in NMH 2 aren't particularly great, but they were never distracting. It's a similar style to the first game. The character models for all the main characters and assassins look pretty good, and the combat effects(like slo-mo, lighting with beam katanas) are nice, but nothing else stands out, not that it's really a big deal. Presentation-wise, everything looks fine, a lot of the menus are generally done in a unique 8-bit pixel style.

Music/Sound Design:

I don't actually who did the music for NMH 2(I know Masafumi Takada did the first, but I kind of missed that area of the credits), but it's a great soundtrack with music that generally fits the combat and each ranking battle. Can't wait for the OST to come out. The sound design is also great, everything sounds the way it should in combat, with a lot of chiptune effects thrown in other parts.

Overall: With the exception of the story, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle is definitely a much better game than the original, simply because it keeps the same great combat with a structure that's not as limiting.

NotWii

Banned
Nicktals said:
Maybe...If you die, there are options for Retry and Quit...I've never selected Quit, and it probably returns you to the main menu. So if you haven't saved in the level, you could probably die, Quit, and then reload your last save.
If you had a last save that is! :p

Dascu

Host Samurai said:
That Henry boss fucked me up like 10x cuz I could not find the pizza health. Such a weird fucking fight that made no sense and it even counted as a rank and lol after the fight :lol
There's a pizza in that level? I beat that boss on the second try with only 1 pixel of health left.

G.O.O.

Is there an effective way to win the
bike fight
? Probably my most hated fight, it's basically like bumper cars.

NotWii

Banned
G.O.O. said:
Is there an effective way to win the
bike fight
? Probably my most hated fight, it's basically like bumper cars.
What I did was
Nitro boost as soon as you get control of the bike, you'll be able to bump Ryuji's bike at least 2 times, if you're lucky, you'll bump him 3x and he'll be off the cliff, keep trying til you can bump him 3x

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hiltz said:

I think the idea is that Bizarre Jelly 5 is a parody.

G.O.O.

Wii said:
What I did was
Nitro boost as soon as you get control of the bike, you'll be able to bump Ryuji's bike at least 2 times, if you're lucky, you'll bump him 3x and he'll be off the cliff, keep trying til you can bump him 3x
Did that as well, but I'm not that lucky I guess :lol

Is jumping useful here ?

G.O.O.

The schpeltiger can jump, same as NMH1, but I think it's useless. Maybe it's possible to trigger a clash by doing it at the right time ?

Just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if it's better than the first one, although it improves in a lot of ways. Combat was better as was the selection of weapons. Some cheap boss fights/sections and the Shinobu platforming was horrible, but it was nice to play as other characters.

I was one of those people who actually enjoyed the travelling around on your bike element of the first game and the mini-games. The 8-bit ones here were great though!

Overall maybe a little let down by it but it was still really enjoyable throughout :)

G.O.O.

Dascu said:
DOWNWARD FUCKING DOG

:lol :lol

This game gets bloody fantastic near the end. Don't get the hate.
It pretty much gets downhill from there (excepted for the post-credits cutscene).

Which is intended
even if I'm not sure about why it is

DeVeAn

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if it's better than the first one, although it improves in a lot of ways. Combat was better as was the selection of weapons. Some cheap boss fights/sections and the Shinobu platforming was horrible, but it was nice to play as other characters.

I was one of those people who actually enjoyed the travelling around on your bike element of the first game and the mini-games. The 8-bit ones here were great though!

Overall maybe a little let down by it but it was still really enjoyable throughout :)
Yeah, something is missing from this one can't figure it out. I feel the same.

DeVeAn said:
Yeah, something is missing from this one can't figure it out. I feel the same.

It's missing a lot of cool touches the first one had. Like the phone calls from sylvia right before a battle and the way it shows the name of the dude you're about to fight on the floor when you enter the level. Most of the bosses in this one don't have the impact of the ones from NMH. And finally, this one feels a lot less enigmatic. Some people might like that but I don't.

Nicktals

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I'm sure this was brought up at some point in the thread, but did you guys all know you can revive yourself by shaking the Wiimote frantically? As long as Travis isn't killed while already on the ground, you can do this 5 or 6 times.

Wait, really? Like when the screen starts to fade, just frantically shake the Wii remote? If true, I definitely did not know this!

Dascu

cosmicblizzard said:
Didn't know this.

Also, when getting up from a knockdown, sometimes Travis does a kick while getting up to knock enemies away. Is this random, or is there a way to always trigger this? It was in the original too and I never found out how to do it there.

ninj4junpei said:
] Started up the game on bitter and Skelter Helter is a royal pain in the ass.

That strategy is relevant to my interests.
God fucking damn it, this is starting to piss me off. -_-

Use your double beam Katanas. Stay as close as possible, and do the emergency evade forward while he shoots his gun. When he goes into melee attacks dodge (emergency evade or just plain old get out of the way), but stay close enough so you can run back to him when he stops attacking and mash him. When he's on the ground do a low attack, so you can get some extra hits. Repeat.

You'll probably take a few hits before this clicks, also be wary of the tutorial popups.

A lot of the criticism I see for the game is "going through the motions" and "lacks punch" and "missing things I liked from the first game".

What could he have done to not make it feel like it was going through the motions? I just don't understand that criticism. He did so much to differentiate it from the first game, yet still be No More Heroes.

I wonder how many people would've complained about staleness if they just did the first game with different bosses? This is a sequel, you can't duplicate the impact of the first game. I was quite happy with how conscious of that they were. They really delivered a comparable experience.

I challenge anyone who was letdown by the game, to replay both games, then give their opinion.

Also, I really like the way the characters developed in the sequel. Seeing them again was like catching up with old friends.

Oh and the Henry boss is so easy. Just us his projectile attack from far away, and then get up close occasionally. It's kind of cheap, but it works.

Nicktals

Banned
Dascu said:
Didn't know this.

Also, when getting up from a knockdown, sometimes Travis does a kick while getting up to knock enemies away. Is this random, or is there a way to always trigger this? It was in the original too and I never found out how to do it there.

Shake the wii remote instead of pressing A and B.

Dascu

Finished it. Game time about 10 hours. Two muscle training sessions remaining, didn't buy anything from the clothing store and I've not completed all of the sidejobs (only played one stage or so for most of them).

Last boss is insane. Wow. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it. Bitter is going to be crazy, especially without infinite battery. Last few cutscenes and credits are good, though not NMH1 "real ending"-good (though that would've been extremely difficult to surpass).

I might post a bigger write-up on the game later, might not. All I can say is that I'm satisfied. It's a good sequel to a fantastic game.

Nicktals said:
Shake the wii remote instead of pressing A and B.
Thought it might be that. Tried it and it was useful sometimes.

Wrath2X said:
So how do I fucking beat batt!? I've been slashing away and his life bar seems to stick
Initiate a weapon clash by slashing at his car when he tries to ram into you.

Top Bottom