• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

NotWii

Banned
I liked how the first game had more enemies that were really weak, so you really felt like a monster cutting through them like wheat

NMH2 threw too many strongmen at you, which are cool enemies, but take a while to wear down :/

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Man, #7
Ryuji?
. Now THAT was a super epic battle. Certainly had a particular "feel" to that fight that I kinda felt was missing in NMH2 so far. Really felt good. And it was just the right amount of difficulty too. And can you always resurrect yourself? I did it in 3 times during that fight, never noticed one could before

Threi

notag
Just finished it....

GAF, you are fucking insane. The sequel is a much better game, and out of the two I prefer it (I still love the original though)

I think you need to go back and view how the original concluded...unless, you probably wanted a sequel to end with a stupid twist just like the original?
although there could have...having sylvia, henry, and shinobu killed off for real would be REALLY cool

I do admit there are things the original does better, but the sequel is a better overall package, I am baffled at how anyone could think otherwise.

P.S.
batt jr form 2 is a cheap bitch.

*edit*

wth @
shinobu not reappearing...didn't she say Sylvia had a promise to uphold for her? what was that about?

Nicktals

Banned
John Harker said:
Man, #7
Ryuji?
. Now THAT was a super epic battle. Certainly had a particular "feel" to that fight that I kinda felt was missing in NMH2 so far. Really felt good. And it was just the right amount of difficulty too. And can you always resurrect yourself? I did it in 3 times during that fight, never noticed one could before

Nah, there appears to be some sort of limit. The most I've had is 5, I think cosmicblizzard said around 5-6...

But I've also had it where I couldn't revive on the 3rd try, so there may be some percent chance involved.

Threi

notag
Rovert40 said:
Oh, and I finally realized that in the
Sylvia
cutscenes on the phone, she's describing the bosses. So boss character development is there beforehand, just in a completely different form than the first game (although I really do miss hearing "SHPEEED BUSTERRRRR" followed by "Fuck you, you little prick!") I actually failed to connect the dots during my first playthrough..
exactly this. those cutscenes were actually pretty cool if you pay attention to what she is saying, I thought it was one of the best aspects of the game.

I also noticed that each time she was wearing a different bra and panties...heh.

*edit* reading the spoilered posts now that I beat it...

yeah...booth conversations >>>>>>>>>>>> sylvia phone calls...sorry dudes.

*edit #2* forgot to list my top 3 bosses:

3. Alice
2. Ryuji (the actual fight)
1. Matt Helms (the beginning of the fight is creepy as hell, the moment it hits you that you don't have an open field to fight and run away...love it.)

Caj814

For those that beat the game and was wondering more about Rank 2.Take a look at this to see EXACTLY what was being burnt!
http://i49.tinypic.com/p60zo.jpg

It definitely fills in ton of extra backstory.

I too have now beaten NMH2!

I was disappointing that Sylvia saved Travis at the end instead of Shinobu. Was so ready for the ninja catch in mid air. Then the kind of abrupt ending. I do like how they framed the story with Sylvia on the phone tho.

And ya, 2nd form of the final boss was stupid. Wound up having to use a complete bull shit tactic that abused the AI (running in to get him to attack, running out, then run slash after he wiffed).

Also, why is there only one Henry level? It was so kick ass!

Also WAT at Caj's pic.

EzLink

Banned
Caj814 said:
For those that beat the game and was wondering more about Rank 2.Take a look at this to see EXACTLY what was being burnt!

Maybe its because I played through that part of the game stoned but could you be a little more specific with what is in that picture exactly and what you mean by something "being burnt"?

Jenga

Banned
Caj814 said:

I'M CALLING IT

the kid in the photo is the next protagonist in NMH3. Or at least an assassin!

Poyunch

EzLink said:
Maybe its because I played through that part of the game stoned but could you be a little more specific with what is in that picture exactly and what you mean by something "being burnt"?
During the monologue Alice was burning a bunch of papers while speaking with Travis. I forgot much of the speech outside of the assassins being envious of Travis.

Anyway the girl in the pictures looks like Margaret.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well I finished the rank 8 and 9 battles.

lol @ two halves of destroyman. Also: o_O @ Shinobu trying to hook up with Travis. Isn't Shinobu like 15 or 16?

somedevil

EzLink said:

The idea is she is an ascetic and she been focused on nothing but fighting. She is burning it all in way to cleanse herself of her past, but really she is in denial because she is burning is what she desires to go back too. Thats why wants to fight travis to find a way to return to what she lost.

Thats how I see it.

Poyunch

GaimeGuy said:
Well I finished the rank 8 and 9 battles.

lol @ two halves of destroyman. Also: o_O @ Shinobu trying to hook up with Travis. Isn't Shinobu like 15 or 16?
Shinobu was 18 in the original and this game takes place three years after the events of the first game.

Caj814

EzLink said:
Before the fight you see Alice burning a bunch of photos.
These photos were of her and Margaret(they were most likely best friends or sisters)
her with a man and child(her husband and son perhaps?Could the son also have been the ghost boy you see after the Matt Helms fight?)
and what looks like a burnt structure(the house where you fight Matt Helms?)

Caj814 said:

Holy shit! That's some crazy attention to detail. I love it when people find little stuff like that.

EzLink

Banned
Wow, that would totally be awesome if
haunted house guy+ghost kid+alice+margaret used to all be one big happy family
Really nice touch

Shame that I find this tiny little insignificant detail to be more exciting than the ending :/

Caj814 said:

WOWOWOWOW

Thank you so much for this.

Snapshot King said:
Yeah, that's really what tears me up. The music is so much better (and better placed). Margerets theme just makes that fight. Anybody know where I can get the OST without just listening to that youtube link all the time?
There are game rips out that are as good as we are going to get for now.

So is there NO way you can access or read the UAA Assassins Files after you beat the game? It seems kinda weird they give you an invisible collectible.

NotWii

Banned
Anyone curious who composed the boss themes?
Here's a spoileriffic list :D

12 - Cloe Walsh
Akira Yamaoka - Alice Moonlight
Akira Yamaoka 2 - Matt Helms
Akira Yamaoka 3 (couldn't figure this one, sorry. same as 2 and 4, though)
Akira Yamaoka 4 - Ryuji
DarkSide Hondalady - Henry (or Mimmy, if you wanna go by Boss theme)
Hagio - Dr. Letz Shake
Hagio Take 2 - Margaret
Hondalady - Captain Vladimir
Missile Chewbacca - Jasper Batt Jr. 2
Missile Chewbacca 2 - Jasper Batt Jr.
Neutrino - Jasper Batt Jr. 3
Neutrino 2 - New Destroymen
Neutrino Fukuda Mix - Kimmy Howell
Riot - Skelter Helter
TakuYoshioka - Nathan Copeland
TakuYoshioka 2 - Million Gunman
Watanabe - Santa Death Parade

Wonder if Masafumi Takada was too busy to do NMH2, or he was kicked off the project for some reason

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Now that I had more time to think about it, I'm pretty certain that Margaret is the coolest boss ever made. And her theme?

Catchy as hell

Threi said:
Just finished it....

GAF, you are fucking insane. The sequel is a much better game, and out of the two I prefer it (I still love the original though)

NMH1 had better bosses overall and MUCH, MUCH better final bosses.

I don't know Haggar. Not sure if you read my earlier posts, but everything to do with Rank 1 and the ending was AWFUL. Terrible. Soured me on the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mayor Haggar said:
Overall, 2 is still the better game.

But not by a whole lot though.

2 is better as a game, but I'd also say NMH was not exactly that far above average as a hack and slash. What made NMH1 so special was the charm and overall attitude, which 2 changed so much that it lost a lot of what I liked about 1. It's not horrible and did improve in key spots, but overall I am not liking it nearly as much around rank 8. The stuff I hear about the endgame doesn't sound promising either, because the first ended on a great note.

TheCardPlayer

Snapshot King said:
I don't know Haggar. Not sure if you read my earlier posts, but everything to do with Rank 1 and the ending was AWFUL. Terrible. Soured me on the game.

So because you sucked at the game, it blows? Like Margaret would sing...You're a goddamn pussy!

Snapshot King said:

Yeah, disappointing too especially since Rank 3 and 2 were so awesome. Guess that's what happens when Suda is just an executive director, rather than full-fledged.

At least
Boss Rush
mode resembles what a NMH fighter would look like.

Edit: Also, I base this on the fact this is first game Grasshopper has ever made that's a sequel, so I bet the first day they started design work they were like:

"Uh...what do we do?"

And that kinda mentality stuck for most of the subsequent production.

TheCardPlayer

BorkBork said:
Desperate Struggle is a better game. NMH was a better and more memorable experience.

Because it came first. It was our first taste of the NMH universe, so of course it sticks with you. Even then, it's not like 2 is a soulless game. It's got more attitude than any game since...well NMH!

Anyway NMH2>NMH, it all the key areas, that needed improvement. Story is subjective. I'd say the first game's was better, but more memorable? Not for me.

TheCardPlayer said:
So because you sucked at the game, it blows? Like Margaret would sing...You're a goddamn pussy!

What are you talking about? I beat ranks 5 through 1 on my first attempts. It's not that they were too hard, or too easy. Hell, 5 through 2 were great. I just hated everything about Rank 1.

G.O.O.

Snapshot King said:
As I said above, I'm sure that rank 1 and the ending are intentionnally bad, as even Henry seems to acknowledge it.

WHAT THE DAMN FUCKING HELL

NotWii

Banned
Caj814 said:

Somehow missed this post :/

Well I think that explains Rank 2's motivation for joining the UAA...

Wii said:
Somehow missed this post :/

Well I think that explains Rank 2's motivation for joining the UAA...

Am I the only one whose head those pictures are flying straight over? She's sisters with Margeret? So what?

G.O.O.

Snapshot King said:
Intentionally terrible or not, still terrible.
Yep. But you can tell yourself that the real ending is
Travis getting downward fucking dog, which works very well with the after-credits sequence

Am I the only one whose head those pictures are flying straight over? She's sisters with Margeret? So what?
You didn't play many grasshopper games, did you ?

G.O.O.

Snapshot King said:
Just the NMH1 and 2. Why? You saying that throwaway photo is symptomatic of a deep and meta relationship criss crossing all over the NMH megaverse?
You just have to ask the good questions about it. It's here for a reason, where a lot of other games would just throw it here and say "oh, btw, it was a family".

Dascu

I get the feeling the appreciation for the story, the assassins and the music will improve on subsequent playthroughs. Some people here are looking at NMH1 with rose-tinted glasses.

Man, Death Match mode is a ton of fun. I did discover one surprising thing while playing it, however. The Bloodberry fucking ROCKS. Times of 7 or 8 minutes per boss fight got slashed into pieces. Most of Travis's matches I can win in under 4 minutes, with a few exceptions. The most surprising one for me was dropping
Matt Helms
in 2:30. He was one of the harder bosses the first time round, and here I tear him apart utterly.

MNC

Hey come on, he spoilered the picture for a reason, if you discuss it, spoiler that as well.

Time to head out of this thread till EU release. Bye!

Threi said:

I think you need to go back and view how the original concluded...unless, you probably wanted a sequel to end with a stupid twist just like the original?
although there could have...having sylvia, henry, and shinobu killed off for real would be REALLY cool

And one shouldn't forget, the initial plot mover in part 1 is that Travis wants to get laid (revenge comes into it later). This one is all about revenge (getting laid comes into it later), so it has a more serious tone. There doesn't need to be some major crazy twist this time around. The story takes itself just to seriously to drop any major bombs, especially when Suda has said this is the last game starring Travis Touchdown.

Snapshot King said:
NMH1 had better bosses overall and MUCH, MUCH better final bosses.

Henry is a cool character, but his boss fight is nothing special. It's pretty cheap, just dodge endlessly and dark step, or attack when he lets his guard down. And avoid that damn instant kill.

Playing through part 1 again (new game+ on mild. I'm one away from max health and strength.), and noticing more changes and observations. 2 has blue attack arrows instead of the yellow-orange ones (opposing design). In 2 you can't charge your beam while holding down lock-on (z-button). If you hold z while normally walking you can't run. It does suck having to drive around to get to missions, but exploring for money patches, cards, and lovikov balls is kind of fun. Bosses overall so far (just beat Destroyman) seem easier.

kinggroin

Banned
Papercuts said:
2 is better as a game, but I'd also say NMH was not exactly that far above average as a hack and slash. What made NMH1 so special was the charm and overall attitude, which 2 changed so much that it lost a lot of what I liked about 1. It's not horrible and did improve in key spots, but overall I am not liking it nearly as much ...

My sentiments exactly.

Dascu

Hagio Take 2/Philistine, Handalady, Neutrino 2, Neutrino Fukuda Mix and Missile Chewbacca 2 are all great boss themes. Fuck those who say the OST is shit compared to NMH1. It's not quite as nice, but still pretty fucking good.

Top Bottom