• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

botticus

VistraNorrez said:
Playing through part 1 again (new game+ on mild. I'm one away from max health and strength.), and noticing more changes and observations. 2 has blue attack arrows instead of the yellow-orange ones (opposing design). In 2 you can't charge your beam while holding down lock-on (z-button). If you hold z while normally walking you can't run. It does suck having to drive around to get to missions, but exploring for money patches, cards, and lovikov balls is kind of fun. Bosses overall so far (just beat Destroyman) seem easier.
Was it just me or was it much easier to recharge in the first game? Seemed like I always had to try 2 or 3 times before it would fully charge.

bon

PounchEnvy said:
During the monologue Alice was burning a bunch of papers while speaking with Travis. I forgot much of the speech outside of the assassins being envious of Travis.

Anyway the girl in the pictures looks like Margaret.
Which one was
Margaret
? It's sort of hard to remember all the boss names in this because you only learn them after they're dead.

botticus

bon said:
Which one was
Margaret
? It's sort of hard to remember all the boss names in this because you only learn them after they're dead.
The chick with the scythe guns on the rooftop.

So yeah, for those of you who were disappointed about only being able to play as the other characters a few times:

here are codes for gecko OS (need homebrew channel installed on your Wii):
Play as Henry in Deathmatch Mode:
0402DDA4 38800002
Play as Shinobu in Deathmatch Mode:
0402DDA4 38800001

works in Deathmatch ONLY

Cardon

bon said:
Which one was
Margaret

She was the sniper chick Travis fought on the rooftops with the awesome background song.

G.O.O.

botticus said:
Was it just me or was it much easier to recharge in the first game? Seemed like I always had to try 2 or 3 times before it would fully charge.
No, but are you holding 1 while recharging ? You're supposed to press it just once. That made reloading a pain in the ass before I realized it.

I asked this before, but I guess no one knows.

The UAA Assassin Profile Cards you pick up in treasure chests, these are not accessible at all after you clear the game? They don't seem to appear in any visible way to me in the Motel room, so...are they just a throwaway? Can you not view these at all?

One of the best parts of the original NMH, is that you could collect cards with each boss's main artwork, and read their stats and a blurb about their story. Since the main game gives you very few things to go on in regards of bosses, those cards would be pretty swell extra to have.

botticus

G.O.O. said:
No, but are you holding 1 while recharging ? You're supposed to press it just once. That made reloading a pain in the ass before I realized it.
I guess that could have been the problem. Could have sworn they said to hold it.

Ridley327

The UAA collection gifts are actually kept on the shelves next to the closet; you'll notice a few of them like Million Gunman's revolver or the model of Charlie's robot. They REALLY should have enabled first person in the motel room.

Ridley327 said:
The UAA collection gifts are actually kept on the shelves next to the closet; you'll notice a few of them like Million Gunman's revolver or the model of Charlie's robot. They REALLY should have enabled first person in the motel room.

Oh man, THAT's where they are?

Jesus.

Dascu

viewtiful_dru said:
So yeah, for those of you who were disappointed about only being able to play as the other characters a few times:

here are codes for gecko OS (need homebrew channel installed on your Wii):
Play as Henry in Deathmatch Mode:
0402DDA4 38800002
Play as Shinobu in Deathmatch Mode:
0402DDA4 38800001

works in Deathmatch ONLY
Oh fuck, that is awesome.

Threi

notag
Snapshot King said:
NMH1 had better bosses overall and MUCH, MUCH better final bosses.
Disagree. This sequel gave you rooms with lasers, giant mecha battles, close-quarters combat with a psychopath,
destroyman awesomeness x2
. Maybe you prefer the bosses themselves (which I still stand by my theory that the reasoning behind this is nothing more than the bosses in this game don't go by aliases, thus they are easier to remember and in turn become "more memorable"), but the fights were in no way a step back.

I will give you the final boss fight though, although the actual fight was very well done in 2 (difficult too). It just so happened that the character you are fighting in the sequel is an annoying little prick.

Seriously people go back and play the original. I did just before the sequel dropped, its still a freaking great game and one of my favorite games this gen, but I think its very unfair of the game and it's developers to dismiss the improvements made in this game in favor of nostalgia and attachment to the characters in the original. A NMH 1.5 would be really disappointing, I'm glad they made a NMH2.

VistraNorrez said:
Playing through part 1 again (new game+ on mild. I'm one away from max health and strength.), and noticing more changes and observations. 2 has blue attack arrows instead of the yellow-orange ones (opposing design). In 2 you can't charge your beam while holding down lock-on (z-button). If you hold z while normally walking you can't run. It does suck having to drive around to get to missions, but exploring for money patches, cards, and lovikov balls is kind of fun. Bosses overall so far (just beat Destroyman) seem easier.

The changes to the combat are really jarring in the sequel. Of the top of my head this is what I noticed:

- Travis has much longer recovery on his attacks. Even quick slashes you can't get into a defensive stance as fast as you could in the original
- Enemies in this game tend to attack through slashes more (especially the big guys), in the original this only happened during charge slashes
- If you get hit/shot you are stunned for a longer time and can get comboed by the enemies.
- Related to the first point, but you can't cancel slashes with rolls anymore. Also, rolls aren't invincible as they were before.

I would say in terms of difficulty NMH2 on mild is like NMH1 on bitter.

botticus said:
If you had the same problem as me, it was due to the fact that pressing Z cancels the charge animation. Kinda frustrating in the middle of the fight when you want to recharge but keep an eye on the enemy.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
my publication has dished out a 9 for No More Heroes 2. One of our freelancers was a newcomer to the series and came away impressed.

No More Heroes 2 Review - 9.0

Desperate Struggle is so unpredictable it’s like the punch line to a parody of Japanese pop culture. Frantic and all over the map, it somehow makes it all work and gives Wii owners an amazing game for an older audience – a rare treat to find on Nintendo’s console.

Also, I am giving away a copy of No More Heroes 2, so if you are interested in winning it, PM me and I will give you more details.

Well I just completed the game on mild for the first at 16 hours or so.

My overall thoughts? I'll have to quote someone that put it so eloquently gamefaqs:

zxcvmnb said:
To me, it's inarguable that NMH2 is better game than the original, but that isn't to say that there aren't thing about NMH1 I like better. What I think we have to remember is, NMH2 is a sequel. It can't be expected to have the same impact as the first game, which introduced us to the NMH1 world for the first time.

You can only lose your virginity once. You can't expect your second time to be as exciting as your first, even if it's a little less sloppy.

The last sentence makes more sense with the context of the game. Also I can't get Skelter Helter's theme song out of my head. Also working on my sweet playthrough for laughs and finally going to the gym.

Wizpig

Someone asked if, when killing an enemy, the result was blood and coins in NMH 1 too.
In the US version of NMH 1 it was like this, yeah, in the EUR/JP one I don't actually know.
It's still blood and coins in NMH 2, I assume?

Another question: is the game full-widescreen?
I had some black bars to the left and right of the screen for NMH 1.

Dascu

Fully agreed with threi's sentiments. zxcvmnb and Urban Scholar's sentiments concur. NMH2 is the better game, but it simply doesn't feel as fresh the original. Not because NMH2 was a rushed cash-in sequel (far from it), but simply because NMH1 was unique. There was no possible way for NMH2 to feel as creative as the first.

In NMH1, blood and coins burst out of defeated enemies.

In NMH2, it's blood and paper money.

@Dascu

I feel NMH2 was rushed in some ways. No real unlockables or collectibles that are worthwhile, less clothes, no secret endings or conditions to get a ending boss fight, etc.

I feel NMH2 is like a pros and cons sequel; meaning, Grasshopper looked at the pros and cons of feedback from everyone over the first game, and simple expanded, or corrected based on those pros and cons only. But skimped a bit on the details.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Mayor Haggar said:
@Dascu

I feel NMH2 was rushed in some ways. No real unlockables or collectibles that are worthwhile, less clothes, no secret endings or conditions to get a ending boss fight, etc.

Well, all in all it seems to have definitely been rushed. Who knows, maybe they run out of money, or they had a small budget since the very beginning. This could also explain why no more Masafumi Takada. He's a genius and he knows it. Maybe the paycheck wasn't appealing enough. :(

Mayor Haggar said:
In NMH1, blood and coins burst out of defeated enemies.

In NMH2, it's blood and paper money.

@Dascu

I feel NMH2 is like a pros and cons sequel; meaning, Grasshopper looked at the pros and cons of feedback from everyone over the first game, and simple expanded, or corrected based on those pros and cons only. But skimped a bit on the details.

Yeah...I don't think so really...a relatively small game like this doesn't really have the same time constraints as a bigger title so I don't think it was rushed at all. These were all choices made by Suda. People are just clinging to the things NMH1 did better and ignoring the multitude of things this game did better

Dascu

Mayor Haggar said:
@Dascu

Certain parts seemed rushed. The lack of bike fights and more challengers (like Kimmy) seem like "OK, we put this in the game, but we don't know/don't have the time to really expand on the concept". What I meant to say was, it's definitely a more polished game than the original and I don't get the feeling that the bosses or the levels were quick hackjobs whereas those from the original were these moments of brilliance. People seem to forget that none of the last 5 ranks in that game even had any real stages.

Sir Johnny said:
Well, all in all it seems to have definitely been rushed. Who knows, maybe they run out of money, or they had a small budget since the very beginning. This could also explain why no more Masafumi Takada. He's a genius and he knows it. Maybe the paycheck wasn't appealing enough. :(
Ehh, he works at Grasshopper Manufacture, does he not? I think he was just too busy with his work on Darkside Chronicles, Zangeki no REGINLEIV and presumably Suda's new game.

G.O.O.

*spamming*

Do someone have a clue about why these portals are called akashic points ? The closest I found is this.

I only read the French article though, I'm not sure to understand what this one is about. Didn't know Suda was into esotericism.

Mayor Haggar said:

I don't think any of those things make the game rushed. It was simply a design choice. And no secret ending probably had everything to do with that the first game already did that. There was no point to repeat it. It wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect. In fact it seems like only one ending is far more surprising this time out.

There's actually more cloths customization in NMH2. Maybe not as many shirts. But you couldn't change your shoes or wristbands, and the jackets and glasses where really only color swaps. I don't feel one way or another about which game has better shirts.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Dascu said:
Ehh, he works at Grasshopper Manufacture, does he not? I think he was just too busy with his work on Darkside Chronicles, Zangeki no REGINLEIV and presumably Suda's new game.

It was the same thing I thought first, but it should be only part of the truth, as Takada didn't work at all on Darkside Chronicles (Shusaku Uchiyama and Takeshi Miura were the mains this time) and -I have no evidence but I think I read it somewhere- he is a freelance composer, hence not tied to GM.

Suda was executive director, which is another name for executive producer. Since he is working on so many projects I wonder how much he actually directed, and how much he left up to the regular director.

I think rather than 14 fights with Pizza Batt Jr., I would have rather had one or two and then some sort of final fight like the one with Henry in NMH1. I don't think it would have been all that difficult to manage, and it wouldn't necessarily have to make sense given the context of the game.

Also, why wasn't Bishop just walking around in the background at the end!? Would have made for a great NMH moment.

Dascu

G.O.O. said:
*spamming*

Do someone have a clue about why these portals are called akashic points ? The closest I found is this.

I only read the French article though, I'm not sure to understand what this one is about. Didn't know Suda was into esotericism.
You kidding me? His previous, non-NMH titles had lots of it. Several references in both NMH games to Alejandro Jodorowsky films, The Holy Mountain (Nathan Copeland for instance) and El Topo (the entire concept of the game) in particular. Both films are loaded with esotericism.

Dascu said:
You kidding me? His previous, non-NMH titles had lots of it. Several references in both NMH games to Alejandro Jodorowsky films, The Holy Mountain (Nathan Copeland for instance) and El Topo (the entire concept of the game) in particular. Both films are loaded with esotericism.

I still get a Paris, Texas vibe with NMH2

G.O.O.

I don't know much about esotericism, but I thought El Topo & the holy mountain were christian allegories (saw the first only). Also, I knew some of the movies he quotes, but not that they were more than cultural references.

Ridley327

G.O.O. said:
I don't know much about esotericism, but I thought El Topo & the holy mountain were christian allegories (saw the first only). Also, I knew some of the movies he quotes, but not that they were more than cultural references.

Well, you're definitely in for a nasty surprise with The Holy Mountain, then. Also, El Topo is definitely esoteric, but an argument can be made that it sides more heavily with Eastern religions (Buddhism, in particular) than anything else.

Seriously, the ending in The Holy Mountain is incredible.

Mayor Haggar said:
I mean the fact we first heard about this thing like more than a year ago, and the last time anyone mentioned it, around TGS last year, some EA guy was like, "Uh, yeah, don't expect that anytime soon."

Grasshopper Manufacture is about 40 deep and, from the sounds of it, this is going to be their biggest project since Killer 7. I'm not surprised that we haven't seen anything about it yet; give it time.

Threi

notag
so the 3 Akashic points are references to videogames, right? (especially how they are portrayed as "portals" to other [videogame] worlds)

so
the first point is clearly based on Resident Evil, and the second is clearly based on Metal Gear Solid, but what about the 3rd point? I would want to say GTA due to the urban setting but it doesn't highlight the open world nature. Actually the opposite, as this one had extremely narrow, linear walkways. So I'm thinking a popular beat em up like Streets of Rage or Final Fight?

G.O.O.

Ridley327 said:
Well, you're definitely in for a nasty surprise with The Holy Mountain, then. Also, El Topo is definitely esoteric, but an argument can be made that it sides more heavily with Eastern religions (Buddhism, in particular) than anything else.

Seriously, the ending in The Holy Mountain is incredible.
Guess I'll have something to watch this week then.

If it's like El topo, I probably won't get it, though. I just understood the general idea about sin and redemption.

So I'm thinking a popular beat em up like Streets of Rage or Final Fight?
definitely not GTA. it begins with a sequence where Travis walks on a 2D plane in front of the buildings, but that's before he reaches the point. Maybe it's another game by a designer he likes, next to Mikami and Kojima ?

EDIT :

ugh, I may be completely wrong on this one but
the layout reminds me of Killer 7
>_<

Dascu

Threi said:
so
the first point is clearly based on Resident Evil, and the second is clearly based on Metal Gear Solid, but what about the 3rd point? I would want to say GTA due to the urban setting but it doesn't highlight the open world nature. Actually the opposite, as this one had extremely narrow, linear walkways. So I'm thinking a popular beat em up like Streets of Rage or Final Fight?
Reminded me of Silent Hill. The interiors to be exact. Funny how Akira Yamaoka, the (ex-)SH composer, did the track for that stage's boss.

Roto13

G.O.O. said:
ugh, I may be completely wrong on this one but
the layout reminds me of Killer 7
>_<
I thought the same thing. :p The camera angle made me go "Oh, yeah. This kind of reminds me of that for some reason."

Shiine said:
I cant get more than 80% collection, wheres the other 20%!?
I finished the game at 97%. No idea where the other one or two are.

Game was pretty good. I wish I could play NMH1 with this gameplay. Only complaint is that it would be cool if
there was more than one fight where someone is challenging you rather than you going after everyone.

Shiine

Lazy vs Crazy said:
I finished the game at 97%. No idea where the other one or two are.

Game was pretty good. I wish I could play NMH1 with this gameplay. Only complaint is that it would be cool if
there was more than one fight where someone is challenging you rather than you going after everyone.

Did you find stuff in more than just Chests?

Shiine

WTF, cuz im sure ive got every chest in the maps, im fully sure of it.

Hmm

Did u find anything in the chests in the revenge missions?

Top Bottom