• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

PounchEnvy said:
I was really hoping Travis would adopt
Margaret's theme
to respect and keep
her
legacy. I can just here the
whistle whenever Travis would meet a new assassin.

That would actually be pretty neat. I guess it wouldn't really make much sense though since
Margaret wasn't important at all storywise.

Poyunch

cosmicblizzard said:
That would actually be pretty neat. I guess it wouldn't really make much sense though since
Margaret wasn't important at all storywise.
But it's so awesome. Plus
from the Sylvia introduction it's pretty important since anyone that heard her song was killed by her.

MrDenny

NMH2 has some really good character designs, just wished they fleshed out the characters more.
Overall good game, but had potential to be something greater.

One of my favorite tracks was from the Alice stage.
When I first heard it, I thought it sounded very similar to the Silent Hill series.
I'm assuming its composed by Akira Yamaoka.
Here's the track I uploaded onto youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWD91yKoA8

Rovert40

Neo Member
My favourite bosses from the series, in order:
1. Bad Girl
2. Matt Helms
3. Alice
4. Jeane
5. Henry
T6. the rest of them
25. Million Gunman

Now granted, I still liked fighting Million Gunman, but his character had no development outside of liking money.
Bad Girl scares the living hell out of me, and the first time she lit her bat on fire, I was like ".....well, balls." She's hard, too.
Matt Helms
is just fun to beat the hell out of.

As for ranking the others, well, just forget it.

Dascu

Seems everyone hates Million Gunman. With reason too. He has no character to speak of and the fight is just you chasing him around with wonky platforming controls. I do like his ricocheting bullets though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Threi said:
yeah I don't get the Bad Girl love...at all. Only that she was a bit more psycho than the other assassins, but her fight wasn't really that memorable at all.

Best music in the series. Awesome character design. Batting and fighting the clones was incredible. The one hit kill thing is unexpected, yet awesome. Oh, and she sets her fucking bat on fire.

G.O.O.

Million Gunman makes me think of a paedophile. :/

In terms of character, I'm in love with Alice. Her speech, her general style came very close to recent personal thoughts. I don't think I ever felt so close to a VG character.

G.O.O. said:
Million Gunman makes me think of a paedophile. :/

In terms of character, I'm in love with Alice. Her speech, her general style came very close to recent personal thoughts. I don't think I ever felt so close to a VG character.

Post game completion it makes sense that they showed Alice during the announcement trailer for NMH2. T
Her fight did mean alot in context. Travis at that point came to full terms with his dislike for the game & declared it over, etc.

Of course you know that sexy accent , mmm *swoon*

Will post my boss fight favorites later on after much though on the matter.

I find it weird and awkward that DS is the first game i know of that has the voice actor who played the "bad-ass" prince in POP: Warrior Within, playing Travis, Robin Atkins Downes. That's fine, he's great!

But Charlie MacDonald and Jasper Batt Jr was played by Yuri Lowenthal, who played the original "charming" prince in Sands of Time, and The Two Thrones.

I remember Yuri was quite displeased with Ubisoft when they told him he wouldn't be needed for the new "direction" they were taking Warrior Within in.

NotWii

Banned
MrDenny said:
NMH2 has some really good character designs, just wished they fleshed out the characters more.

When I first heard it, I thought it sounded very similar to the Silent Hill series.
Yep, Akira did it

Mayor Haggar said:
I find it weird and awkward that DS is the first game i know of that has the voice actor who played the "bad-ass" prince in POP: Warrior Within, playing Travis, Robin Atkins Downes. That's fine, he's great!

But Charlie MacDonald and Jasper Batt Jr was played by Yuri Lowenthal, who played the original "charming" prince in Sands of Time, and The Two Thrones.

I remember Yuri was quite displeased with Ubisoft when they told him he wouldn't be needed for the new "direction" they were taking Warrior Within in.
Robin Atkins Downes was in NMH, Team Fortress 2, and plenty other stuff.

Yuri Lowenthal's displeasure couldn't have lasted for long as he was in The Two Thrones.

Jaded Alyx said:
Robin Atkins Downes was in NMH, Team Fortress 2, and plenty other stuff.

Yuri Lowenthal's displeasure couldn't have lasted for long as he was in The Two Thrones.

Yeah, I just never thought they'd be cast in the same game together.

I just like to think about the seedy drama that goes on behind closed doors in the Voice Actor's Fight Club.

I also thought that Quinton Flynn as Henry was cool too.

Funny how the voice cast NMH2 is basically the entire voice cast of MGS minus Hayter :lol

Mayor Haggar said:
Yeah, I just never thought they'd be cast in the same game together.

I just like to think about the seedy drama that goes on behind closed doors in the Voice Actor's Fight Club.
Well even if there was bad blood, they likely never crossed paths due to the nature of voice recording.

Also interesting is that it's Ubisoft involved again.

About to pull the trigger on import since the deafening silence on the game's Euro release doesn't fill me with much hope. Very bored of Madworld playthrough so hoping NMH2 lives up to a more interesting and engaging Wii combat game!

Luigiv

SecretBonusPoint said:
About to pull the trigger on import since the deafening silence on the game's Euro release doesn't fill me with much hope. Very bored of Madworld playthrough so hoping NMH2 lives up to a more interesting and engaging Wii combat game!

Luigiv said:
Game was rated by the OFLC (Australian board) yesterday, so it's coming. It got an MA15+ if you're interested (First game was an M, so this game is likely uncut).

Link

Game is coming. Uncensored. RSG will be making the official announcement this week. At least wait until after the announcement be you decide.

deadmuffin said:
man, everyone loves margaret....but to me, she was really annoying the first time i fought her and predictable the second time...and her design is just a gothic lolita, so I prefer some more original stuff, but, then again, that's just me
It was really the music, environment and atmosphere more than the character itself that was great.

Threi

notag
in terms of favorite chars, in the original Shinobu was my favorite, but in the sequel its definitely
Henry
. Every cutscene with him in it made me laugh.

silverbullet1080 said:
It was really the music, environment and atmosphere more than the character itself that was great.

Yeah, goth lolis are old hat for me too, but it was the combination of everything from that fight.

MrDenny said:

YES YES YES, I was looking for the stage music everywhere!!! Thank you!

Luigiv said:
Game is coming. Uncensored. RSG will be making the official announcement this week. At least wait until after the announcement be you decide.

You got it round the wrong way I think, the first game was rated 16 here and this new one should be rated M/18 if it's uncut? We'll see. Why was RSG being so quiet about it? Its not like they'll be doing any advertising whatsoever so you'd think theyd want to at least ride on whatever US release hype there is/was?

I beat the game last night it took me a little over 14hrs and I did all of the revenge missions and bought all of the beam swords. I think it was an amazing game and the final boss was fun and epic. I had a really good time with that fight and the shaking Wii remote saved my ass so I beat him my first try.

My one complaint in the generic cannon fodder in this one. I wish they could have made at least some weird goons to beat up like in the first game. I miss enemies like the guys with paper bags over their heads and the Darth Vader looking drones.

Also if they make a sequel, I would love to see longer levels and maybe some mini bosses that are in your way to get the the ranking bosses. I would also love to see a level that is a 8bit side scrolling beat em up or rpg complete with 8bit boss fights.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mayor Haggar said:

Dude, Robin Atkins Downes is in every videogame ever.

In my opinion, he's one of the best out there right now (though lacks the recognition of Nolan North or Hayter. (Though he's in both Uncharted and MGS!)

Ryuuga

Banned
Favourite NMH2 Tracks:

1. Alice's Boss Theme
2. Philistine - Margaret's Boss Theme
3. We Are Finally Cowboys [Golden Brown Mix]
4. It's Kill or Be Killed Mix
5. Pizza Batt Tower Stage Theme
6. Matt Helms/Ryuji's Boss Theme

Favourite NMH(2) Boss Fights:
1.Shinobu
2. Alice
3. Henry
4. Ryuji
5. Margaret
6. Jeane
7. Mimmy
8. Holly Summers
9. Bad Girl
10. Dr. Peace
- The rest in no particular order.

Luigiv

SecretBonusPoint said:
You got it round the wrong way I think, the first game was rated 16 here and this new one should be rated M/18 if it's uncut? We'll see. Why was RSG being so quiet about it? Its not like they'll be doing any advertising whatsoever so you'd think theyd want to at least ride on whatever US release hype there is/was?
First game was M in Australia (Equivalent to a US T). NMH2 has been rated MA (Equivalent to a US M). I'd say it's pretty likely that it's uncut.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it earlier...started to like it a lot more in the last 10 ranks but holy SHIT the second form was awful. I wasn't expecting 2 to top 1 in the endgame area without pulling a miracle, but talk about a 180 here.

Jenga

Banned
Mayor Haggar said:

Holy shit.

Man, I seriously cannot believe they didn't reference it in the boss cutscene.

"TRAVIS, NOW I CAN FINALLY AVENGE MY BROTHERS, AND RECLAIM MY TITLE OF PRINCE!"
"FAT CHANCE YOU SON OF A BITCH, I'M THE PROTAGONIST OF THIS GAME"
"NOW YOU'LL SEE WHO'S REALLY THE PRINCE OF SANTA DESTROY"

okay you get the idea

NotWii

Banned
Luigiv said:
First game was M in Australia (Equivalent to a US T). NMH2 has been rated MA (Equivalent to a US M). I'd say it's pretty likely that it's uncut.
You're saying it as if the OFLC is consistent (looks at L4D2 being censored for being mildly more violent than L4D) ...

NMH2 has content that already would secure it a MA15+ rating like the BJ5 videos

Persona7

Banned
Whats up with the rising price of the first NMH? My copy got misplaced so I was looking for a new copy and they are running for 50$

I remember seeing brand new 12$ copies awhile back. :(

Anyways, just started the second game and I love it so far.

Hiltz

Holy cow, Death match mode is freaking hard!

I can't even beat Skelter Helter especially since you really can't use the rushing sword slash (when you swing the wii remote while running) because the boss will almost always instantly knock you down.

I just started my second playthrough on mild difficulty. I admit that I'm pretty disappointed that there's no upgradable weapons and the majority of the new clothing you can buy is pretty ugly looking. On the bright side, the 2D mini games and the new map menu system really make the game more enjoyable and boosts the replay value as well.

I do kind of miss the quirky enemies from the first game like the paper bag bad guys in Destroyman's stage. However, I like how the sequel includes a slightly wider range of different enemies.

I also think the game'revenge theme story was pretty crappy. First of all, Travis hardly had any relationship with
Bishop
in the first game.
Bishop
was just that npc dude who works in a video store and brought over your motorcycle when you call for it on your cell phone. THAT's the entire relationship Travis had with him! Then there's the whole incredibly stupid issue with the lame final boss and his reason for wanting to kill Travis. Then to make things worse, Grasshopper Manufacture completely ignores any sense of wrapping up the story with Shinobu and Henry.

G.O.O. said:
Death match equals bitter, right ?

Going off the information provided by players on gamefaqs forums' it maybe even harder.

I too was finding it rather difficult to best even Skelter Helter, I think I'll go back and fight him using the dual katana later on. I don't even want to think about the rank 5 fight on deathmatch, that will more than likely have me toss something in frustration.

Hiltz said:
Holy cow, Death match mode is freaking hard!

I can't even beat Skelter Helter especially since you really can't use the rushing sword slash (when you swing the wii remote while running) because the boss will almost always instantly knock you down.

I also think the game'revenge theme story was pretty crappy. First of all, Travis hardly had any relationship with
Bishop
in the first game.
Bishop
was just that npc dude who works in a video store and brought over your motorcycle when you call for it on your cell phone. THAT's the entire relationship Travis had with him! Then there's the whole incredibly stupid issue with the lame final boss and his reason for wanting to kill Travis. Then to make things worse, Grasshopper Manufacture completely ignores any sense of wrapping up the story with Shinobu and Henry.

I posted a really effective strategy for Skelter.

Isn't it fitting that the revenge story is based off minor characters, though?

Just beat the first NMH again. And immediately started 2 over (Bitter). The battle system really is better in 2. The forward emergency evade is really a great addition. It kind of sucks not having it in the first game. Also I don't think the first game has a punch combo, which the second does (maybe some one correct me). Either way pulling a combo that ends with some punches flows a lot better. The combat just feels smoother. And also having a more distinct and useful difference between the high and low attacks is great too. Some enemies are actually more effectively beaten depending on the weapon and stance.

Also looking at my original completion time the for first game it only took me 14:30 while 2 took me a little over 16. For some reason I thought the first game took me longer.

Dascu

Heh, funny thing I noticed regarding Rank 4 location. The supermarket is named "Guan's". The logo has the Pizza Bat emblem on it. Everyone who's seen Ace Ventura 2 knows that "guano" is bat excrement. Coincidence? You decide.

Milabrega

Tried to rank all the fights but really can't so will just have to say:

Shinobu is my favorite fight in No More Heroes and Margaret is my favorite fight in Desperate Struggle. I'd rank Heavenly Star from NMH over Margaret's theme in terms of favorite soundtracks from the series.

I agree with the discussion going on right now, the revenge storyline got dropped rather quickly and was never given any focus, even when it got brought back up during the Batt Jr. fight. I didn't even notice the targets in the revenge missions were the 4 guys who shot Bishop until Dascu pointed it out after I had done them all. The story didn't quite fall apart Final Fantasy 12 style, but it came close to it.

G.O.O.

It's funny to spot all these things that you missed on your first playthrough, like the
stupid zoom-in on the character's faces during the Batt Jr. cutscene, or the fact that the TVs could parody The Dark Knight's Big Brother machine.

NMH2 is definitely a more subtle game than the first. Which is bizzare to say, because there really wasn't anything subtle about the first game. It's also a fairly straight love story, which is interesting.

I definitely think NMH2 is a better game overall, but it certainly doesn't make the first game obsolete. They are both different enough and fit together well. It's a great experience and I hope they continue the series. The UAA is something that can certainly be explored more, and there are plenty of characters to bring back.

Dascu

G.O.O. said:
It's funny to spot all these things that you missed on your first playthrough, like the
stupid zoom-in on the character's faces during the Batt Jr. cutscene, or the fact that the TVs could parody The Dark Knight's Big Brother machine.
I loved those close-ups. Felt like a parody of other epic confrontations between protagonist and antagonist.

Hiltz

Wrath2X said:
I know Suda said differently, but I would love a third game with Travis Touchdown.

While Suda 51 said that Travis Touchdown's story would end in Desperate Struggle, he did say that he'd like to make another game (but not on the Wii but possibly on Nintendo's next console) and make it into a big franchise. Personally, I'd love to see the next game star Shinobu.

Hands down, my favorite cut scene in the sequel is with
New Destroyman
. The boss or perhaps I should say bosses, act like cheap and dirty jerks and Shinobu totally schools them complete with an awesome finishing move.

Wrath2X said:
I know Suda said differently, but I would love a third game with Travis Touchdown.

hells yes, and it should have the final boss being sylvia, because she is only one that i would think could take on travis, especially how she speaks to him in such a powerful tone at times like her "are you done bitching?" line...that sent chills down my spine...and of course the emotional impact of the fight would make a good plot twist as he trys to take down the UAA and fights assassins that think otherwise...hey, im just spewing ideas here

Wrath2X said:
I think it would be fitting if you played as a newcomer who would go on to kill Travis, Henry, Shinobu, and Sylvia. Travis would be the final boss and it would show that there really are consequences for killing. The newcomer would definitely have to be related to someone Travis killed. The newcomer would have a completely different perspective than Travis, which could justify a more serious tone. Since he/she would be an outsider, they wouldn't understand the madness that fuels Santa Destroy.

Listening to the No More Heroes soundtrack again, I think the sequel definitely has the better soundtrack.

Top Bottom