• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

Dascu

Chairhome said:
Here are some interesting links. The original translated script for the game, then the official translated script after the publisher made some changes.
password is: shoryuken

Interesting cause it has a little of what has been cut-out, due to publisher involvement.
Wohoho. Now this is interesting. Thanks for the links.

Nicktals

Banned
I can't read them...What changes are there?

EDIT: Can someone post them somewhere else, or it would be super awesome if they could convert them to something other than .pdf!

EDIT 2: I keeps saying: "cannot read this document" or something like that.

Dascu

Reading through them...

Seems the Revenge missions were supposed to be much bigger. Planned to have 20 of them and with a stronger story linking them all together.

It seems that it was initially planned for you to still make payments to open up the next boss fight. Glad they scratched that in the final version of the game.

The fight with Chloe was a bit different. There would be a wind blowing that you had to use to avoid the poison clouds. Guess it was too tricky to implement.

Confirmation that the man at Bishop's grave is Takashi Miike.

Vladimir was supposed to have an actual stage, set in the suburbs.

G.O.O.

Chairhome said:
Here are some interesting links. The original translated script for the game, then the official translated script after the publisher made some changes.
password is: shoryuken

Interesting cause it has a little of what has been cut-out, due to publisher involvement.
Extra battle - appears in death match upon completing game in bitter difficulty

Hah ! Is that true ?

Dascu

G.O.O. said:
Extra battle - appears in death match upon completing game in bitter difficulty

Hah ! Is that true ?
Wowowow

Someone who's beaten the game on Bitter, check DeathMatch mode now!

Edit: WHAT

There's notes for Thunder Ryu

Just told Nicktals this but I checked and there is no new battle in Deathmatch mode after completing bitter. Guess whoever it was supposed to be was taken out.

Edit: I haven't seen the documents, but you don't have to actually play Deathmatch to unlock this supposed extra battle, do you? I never actually played it. If you get the battle through that, I'll go for it.

Nicktals

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Just told Nicktals this but I checked and there is no new battle in Deathmatch mode after completing bitter. Guess whoever it was supposed to be was taken out.

Edit: I haven't seen the documents, but you don't have to actually play Deathmatch to unlock this supposed extra battle, do you? I never actually played it. If you get the battle through that, I'll go for it.

Well, it says shinobu in front of the hotel...have you started a new game after beating it? maybe it goes after the skelter helter fight?

or maybe you have to beat the deathmatch fights...probably nothing there, regardless of what you do though!

Nicktals said:
Well, it says shinobu in front of the hotel...have you started a new game after beating it? maybe it goes after the skelter helter fight?

or maybe you have to beat the deathmatch fights...probably nothing there, regardless of what you do though!

Yeah, started a new game and beat Skelter Helter. Walked around a bit to see if there was anything new. Nothing. Saved and checked deathmatch and there was nothing there either. Maybe I'll play through the deathmatch fights tomorrow to see if that does anything but I doubt it.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Just read through the whole script. Here are some of the differences I found.

o There was definitely plans for an overworld. It mentions instructions for riding the motorcycle and mentions a free-roam segment between each boss segment.

o Revenge missions were originally much more involved. Mentions of raiding hospitals and bombing offices. Missions vary depending on actions taken during battles. Total of 20 missions. One story thread will link all the missions.

o Instead of pressing buttons to deliver the final blow to Charlie Macdonald/Santa Death Parade you were supposed to circle him multiple times with the Wii Remote pointer.

o Kimmy Howell battle wasn't skippable/missable. The fax comes immediately following the Charlie Macddonald fight and explains that any assassin that ascends in the ranks by more than 10 has to fight a lower ranked fighter.

o Refers to the Matt Helms house as Splatter House. (Not sure if that's a reference to the video game)

o Travis originally first finds Matt Helms hanging from a noose.

o Chloe Walsh battle had wind that moved the poison clouds around.

o There was no level for New Destroyman. It went from the graveyard cutscene with Shinobu and Miike straight to the boss fight.

o When Shinobu shakes hands with Destroyman she cuts off his hand rather than it just falling off.

o Ryuji battle was originally supposed to take place in a dry riverbed. Motorcycle battle was won by ramming the side of his bike enough times to damage it.

o Vladimir level originally was supposed to start with fighting scrubs in the suburbs.

o Alice Moonlight battle takes place in a basement tunnel instead of a rooftop.

o The writing in general isn't as witty or clever as the final game. As an example, instead of "Downward fucking dog!" Travis originally said "Hellz yeah!"

Nose Master

Welp, just got to the cabin boss. Pretty much don't feel like playing this ever again. There's no feasible way to damage her other than two light slashes then camping for her swing, dodging and repeating, for seemingly... 30 minutes. Pass. Ugh.

Poyunch

VideoMan said:
Just read through the whole script. Here are some of the differences I found.

o There was definitely plans for an overworld. It mentions instructions for riding the motorcycle and mentions a free-roam segment between each boss segment.

o Revenge missions were originally much more involved. Mentions of raiding hospitals and bombing offices. Missions vary depending on actions taken during battles. Total of 20 missions. One story thread will link all the missions.

o Instead of pressing buttons to deliver the final blow to Charlie Macdonald/Santa Death Parade you were supposed to circle him multiple times with the Wii Remote pointer.

o Kimmy Howell battle wasn't skippable/missable. The fax comes immediately following the Charlie Macddonald fight and explains that any assassin that ascends in the ranks by more than 10 has to fight a lower ranked fighter.

o Refers to the Matt Helms house as Splatter House. (Not sure if that's a reference to the video game)

o Travis originally first finds Matt Helms hanging from a noose.

o Chloe Walsh battle had wind that moved the poison clouds around.

o There was no level for New Destroyman. It went from the graveyard cutscene with Shinobu and Miike straight to the boss fight.

o When Shinobu shakes hands with Destroyman she cuts off his hand rather than it just falling off.

o Ryuji battle was originally supposed to take place in a dry riverbed. Motorcycle battle was won by ramming the side of his bike enough times to damage it.

o Vladimir level originally was supposed to start with fighting scrubs in the suburbs.

o Alice Moonlight battle takes place in a basement tunnel instead of a rooftop.

o The writing in general isn't as witty or clever as the final game. As an example, instead of "Downward fucking dog!" Travis originally said "Hellz yeah!"
The things I'm happy they changed:

• The writing.
  • The Alice battle.
  • New Destroymen level.

Everything else makes me sad. Even though
Shinobu's platforming was horrible I'm happy she got a level.
Also I didn't read any of the scripts but
it would be hilarious if that "Hellz yeah" quote was more of a comment by a writer than what Travis would actually say. Obviously it wouldn't make sense but it would have been funny.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Hmm, at the bottom of the script there's a bunch of miscellaneous lines for certain characters like the quips that the enemies say during battle, etc. At the very bottom there's a few lines of dialog from...*DRAMATIC MUSIC*
Thunder Ryu.

somedevil

Wished they kept the
pizza bat mascot
as a regular bad guy to fight because it would be hilarious at him yelling would you like salami at you.

Poyunch

VideoMan said:
Hmm, at the bottom of the script there's a bunch of miscellaneous lines for certain characters like the quips that the enemies say during battle, etc. At the very bottom there's a few lines of dialog from...*DRAMATIC MUSIC*
Thunder Ryu.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about but:

Dascu said:
Wowowow

Someone who's beaten the game on Bitter, check DeathMatch mode now!

Edit: WHAT

There's notes for Thunder Ryu

Hiltz

Anyone else notice how broken Alice's boss battle is ?

I mean, when she performs her charged projectile attack she doesn't stop doing it until you get close enough to hit her. However, if you get hit by one of the projectiles, she continues to throw them at you, making it very easy to get hit and knocked down again and again (I don't think it can be blocked). It's a pain in the ass. You kind of have to time it right to get back up and quickly do an emergency dodge.

Currently rank 2. I saw on a review of the game that sometimes lower ranked assassins will challenge you? Is this possible to miss? cuz it hasn't happened to me yet

Hiltz

Gryphter said:
Currently rank 2. I saw on a review of the game that sometimes lower ranked assassins will challenge you? Is this possible to miss? cuz it hasn't happened to me yet

I haven't experienced that and I'm on my second playthrough.Do you remember what place the review is from ?

As far as I know, there's only 1 time in the game that you get a challenge from a lower ranked assassin (but this assasin isn't actually part of the UAA ranking system) which can be done anytime after the boss fight with Charlie McDonald early on in the game. You can trigger it by going back to your motel room and a cut scene takes place.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Finally got to play this game for a couple hours the other night. Sooooo good. Beat the
first, er, second? boss. The dude with the Scottish accent and the hoes. So I'm now rank 50.
Put more time into playing the side jobs than the regular game, though; they're great. I especially love the
bug extermination game!

I missed playing NMH so much. I'm glad this sequel was made.

Poyunch

Gryphter said:
It was meant to be a feature before looking at the original scripts but this idea has basically been scrapped. This only happens once after the second boss battle.

Hiltz said:
Anyone else notice how broken Alice's boss battle is ?

I mean, when she performs her charged projectile attack she doesn't stop doing it until you get close enough to hit her. However, if you get hit by one of the projectiles, she continues to throw them at you, making it very easy to get hit and knocked down again and again (I don't think it can be blocked). It's a pain in the ass. You kind of have to time it right to get back up and quickly do an emergency dodge.
Just time your recoveries, it's not that hard. Holly Summers was way more broken, IMO. I considered Alice's boss fight to be really basic actually.

edit: haha didn't completely read your post. I usually time my recoveries anyway.

Hiltz

PounchEnvy said:
It was meant to be a feature before looking at the original scripts but this idea has basically been scrapped. This only happens once after the second boss battle.

Just time your recoveries, it's not that hard. Holly Summers was way more broken, IMO. I considered Alice's boss fight to be really basic actually.

edit: haha didn't completely read your post. I usually time my recoveries anyway.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Eventually, I got the hang of it.

By the way, Destructoid's Jonathan Holmes wrote an interesting article about the bosses in No More Heroes 2 and how they relate to Travis and the game's story and theme of revenge. The article is split in 2 with the first one talking about half of the game's villains.

http://www.destructoid.com/analyzin...ml?no_cache=1&comment_saved=1#comment-1697264

Chairhome

Nose Master said:
Welp, just got to the cabin boss. Pretty much don't feel like playing this ever again. There's no feasible way to damage her other than two light slashes then camping for her swing, dodging and repeating, for seemingly... 30 minutes. Pass. Ugh.
The game is much more forgiving than the first game, I think. I didn't encounter anything as hard as the Shinobu fight in the first game in NMH2. It should have taken you much quicker than that, I think though. Make sure you keep checking Naomi's Lab for new weapons (she only sells 2 total though :-/), and don't forget to use the running swing (swing the remote while running) for some good quick damage. Most bosses will hit you if you try to complete a combo when attacking them, you can probably do two-three swings then evade. You can also try to dark step to get some more hits in. I'd say stick in there and keep playing, its a good game.

I don't remember what review it was, but I tried to find it just now and came up empty handed, hmmm. Ah well, I'm happy that I didn't miss anything, the whole time til now I was waiting for it to happen and it didn't, I was worried. I did get the 1 non ranked boss mentioned above
Kimmy Howell the schoolgirl

The game became really easy once I maxed out at the gym and got Jeane's weight all the way down
unlocking nunchuk move, so powerful

I only had trouble with 1 boss so far, I think he was #5
Ryuji
, which was awesome.

I ran into a glitch with I think she was #3
Margaret. I somehow hit her over the ledge in the middle, but she was still standing and fighting. I couldn't hit her through the handrail but she could shoot me. I tried everything hoping she would fly up to the billboard but didn't, I had to let her kill me to start the fight over again
Love the game, am afraid of Rank #1 though, didn't see any spoilers but a lot of posts here mentioned it's cheap

Chairhome

In that destructoid article, it mentions that Shinobu has her own title screen (like the pixelized Travis on the title screen)... I missed this :-( anyone have a screen cap?

Chairhome said:
In that destructoid article, it mentions that Shinobu has her own title screen (like the pixelized Travis on the title screen)... I missed this :-( anyone have a screen cap?

no screen cap, but I can tell you it's her in the shower

Poyunch

Since my submissions for the T-Shirt contest didn't win I might as well post them here. Did they ever announce them?

2coklc1.jpg

2qmolky.jpg

I was also planning on doing a Bizarre Jelly T-shirt where they would act out their powers associated with their catchphrases that Travis commonly yells out but that never came out the way I wanted to so I decided to make the above.

Poyunch

"The death of
Charlie and his team
marks the first time we get the sense that Travis may not be the unsophisticated sociopath that he initially makes himself out to be."
I disagree with this from the article. I really think Travis was originally like that but after the events of the first game he matured a bit.

ShockingAlberto said:
Apparently the winners were never announced. People found out by just seeing their shirts in the game.
I would have loved to see the other submissions.

Nose Master

Chairhome said:
The game is much more forgiving than the first game, I think. I didn't encounter anything as hard as the Shinobu fight in the first game in NMH2. It should have taken you much quicker than that, I think though. Make sure you keep checking Naomi's Lab for new weapons (she only sells 2 total though :-/), and don't forget to use the running swing (swing the remote while running) for some good quick damage. Most bosses will hit you if you try to complete a combo when attacking them, you can probably do two-three swings then evade. You can also try to dark step to get some more hits in. I'd say stick in there and keep playing, its a good game.

Definitely just wasn't training with the gay fella, but, I beat him without (no choice) after coming back to it.

This game kind of feels like a Tim Schaefer title. The gameplay is horrid, but the plot/style keep you playing it anyways. I just beat Shinobu's section, and holy fuck. Whoever thought jumping fit into the game engine, needs to be thrown in front of a train. I only beat NewDestroyman cause he glitched out and wouldn't revive his partner anymore :lol

Hero

Beat the game. Really happy it got made and overall I think this one improved upon the gameplay of the first one. But some of the boss fights weren't as cool or fun. But Alice and Margaret were awesome. The last boss was no where near as cool as Jeane and more frustratingly cheap.

Glad that the overworld was removed, the 8-bit games made earning money more fun for the most part, combat was even better, etc.

Playing as
Shinobu and Henry
was awesome although the platforming part for the one level made me want to kill myself as I fell off the roofs due to shitty camera placement during jumping.

Pretty much hated the ending since it was so lackluster. Like did they just give up or what? Maybe there's a true ending ala NMH?

Let's hope this does well enough that Suda can make this series into a trilogy! Would hate to see it end with the second one like Viewtiful Joe did.

Chairhome

Nose Master said:
Definitely just wasn't training with the gay fella, but, I beat him without (no choice) after coming back to it.

This game kind of feels like a Tim Schaefer title. The gameplay is horrid, but the plot/style keep you playing it anyways. I just beat Shinobu's section, and holy fuck. Whoever thought jumping fit into the game engine, needs to be thrown in front of a train. I only beat NewDestroyman cause he glitched out and wouldn't revive his partner anymore :lol
I think New Destroyman was the longest battle for me, just because one of the guys kept running away. The rest of the fights aren't that bad, you just have to make sure you get the weapons and keep training. I disagree with the Tim Schaefer comment, I enjoy the gameplay, as repetitive as it might get. I like that the levels are shorter than in the first game.

Chairhome

G.O.O. said:
The levels are getting quite long near the end, even longer than in the first NMH I believe.
Yeah, the last few stages were pretty long, but I thought they were pretty short or non-existant in some cases in a few of them. I remember the stages in the 1st game being longer, but its been a long while, so I may be mistaken

Dascu

Very nice article. I hadn't thought much about the themes of innocence in the game yet. It's nice to see some themes returning from the original, especially regarding Travis' masculinity. It's less prominent here, but still very visible in scenes with a few bosses and of course with Shinobu and Sylvia.

Chairhome said:
Yeah, the last few stages were pretty long, but I thought they were pretty short or non-existant in some cases in a few of them. I remember the stages in the 1st game being longer, but its been a long while, so I may be mistaken
The first 4 stages in the original were pretty long. The others however were all shorter. Rank 5 was just a tunnel, rank 4 was a shmup and a little bit of fighting in the metro station, rank 3 was a swarm of enemies on a bus (and the bossfight too, I suppose), rank 2 was just driving around in the stadium and rank 1 was another bike segment and then a handful of enemies in the forest. You spent more time grinding for cash than on the actual levels for the second half of NMH1.

G.O.O.

Also, NMH2 has stronger enemies. The final level is huge, I don't think any level of the first is as long as this one, but it also take a while to kill the big guys.

Nose Master said:

Matt Helms?

If you get him near a wall when he does a big swing he gets it stuck in the wall. You beat him up him and he usually gets stars around his head and you can do a wrestling move. Also a well timed slash when he does a jumping attack will put you in a shake the wiimote duel.

Chairhome said:
The game is much more forgiving than the first game, I think. I didn't encounter anything as hard as the Shinobu fight in the first game in NMH2..

Having just played both games back to back, they are actually pretty similar in difficulty. Each boss has a pattern and once you figure it out, they are all pretty damn easy. Shinobu included.

Chairhome said:

You are mistaken. Some are long, some are really short. They average out to about the same in both.

My Matt Helms strategy? Get full ecstasy right before his fight, and get rid of 5 of his life bars. :D
I didn't have to deal with his crap as much because of that. I was afraid of him when I thought about my bitter run though, but the big Katana works well on those annoying big goons.

Rovert40

Neo Member
VistraNorrez said:
Matt Helms?

If you get him near a wall when he does a big swing he gets it stuck in the wall. You beat him up him and he usually gets stars around his head and you can do a wrestling move. Also a well timed slash when he does a jumping attack will put you in a shake the wiimote duel.

Hey, awesome. I didn't know that.

I really don't know why people are complaining about Shinobu's jumping so much. It was a little frustrating, true, but never once did it result in me even taking any damage, let alone death.
Million Gunman's shots
would always miss, for example, as long as I jumped to avoid them, regardless of whether I landed where I was aiming.

Top Bottom