• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle |OT| of Ultimate Vengeance (loli too)

Nose Master

Rovert40 said:
Hey, awesome. I didn't know that.

I really don't know why people are complaining about Shinobu's jumping so much. It was a little frustrating, true, but never once did it result in me even taking any damage, let alone death.
Million Gunman's shots
would always miss, for example, as long as I jumped to avoid them, regardless of whether I landed where I was aiming.

Seriously? You don't know why people are complaining about it. How could testers have played that, and thought to themselves: "RIGHTEOUS, SHIP IT." It was mostly just annoying, not that it killed you. I fell off one of the bridges by the warehouse three times in succession. Which took you 2 minutes to get back to each time.

dfdfjnjnopindsajf

tim1138

Just finished it, was the rank 1 fight ever an absolute pain. Thankfully
against the 2nd and 3rd form
I was able to fill the tiger meter and have my way.

A question about the ending though, I didn't finish the revenge missions so I wonder if I missed anything. If you do is it
more than Sylvia catching you on the bike and dumping you at the NHM Hotel and then Travis encountering her in the peepshow? It seems like there should be more

so you can resurrect yourself if you shake the wiimote after you die, before the game over screen comes up? wtf, i dont think I would have lost to anyone, EVER, if I'd have known that. How much health do you get?

tim1138

Gryphter said:
so you can resurrect yourself if you shake the wiimote after you die, before the game over screen comes up? wtf, i dont think I would have lost to anyone, EVER, if I'd have known that. How much health do you get?

Not much, and it seems to decrease each time you do it.

Gryphter said:
While Travis is stumbling, yeah.

You get like two or three dots back.

Nose Master said:
Seriously? You don't know why people are complaining about it. How could testers have played that, and thought to themselves: "RIGHTEOUS, SHIP IT." It was mostly just annoying, not that it killed you. I fell off one of the bridges by the warehouse three times in succession. Which took you 2 minutes to get back to each time.

dfdfjnjnopindsajf

Never had any real problems with her jumping. Certainly not like anything in the video.

I really like doing her jump attack too. An in the air combo ending in a kill move is great.

AcciDante

Nose Master said:

dfdfjnjnopindsajf

That's the part that made me realize I hated playing this game, and was continuing purely for the style/story.

Poyunch

tim1138 said:
Just finished it, was the rank 1 fight ever an absolute pain. Thankfully
against the 2nd and 3rd form
I was able to fill the tiger meter and have my way.

A question about the ending though, I didn't finish the revenge missions so I wonder if I missed anything. If you do is it
more than Sylvia catching you on the bike and dumping you at the NHM Hotel and then Travis encountering her in the peepshow? It seems like there should be more
A lot of stuff was removed from the game according to the scripts but to answer your question skipping the revenge missions means you
don't get the ability to go jacketless (the thing is pretty glitchy and it can ruin you wardrobe so no big loss)
but more importantly you
lose the satisfaction of killing the baddies responsible for Bishop's death

The Shinobu vault platforming section is weak. It's such a basic, simple task only made difficult by how horribly clunky the jumping mechanic is. The salt in the wound is that fucking switch between the two pillars of gold and money, you can target lock and do a charge slash on it half a room away but you can't lock on to it when you're standing on either of the pillars that are closer to it. That doesn't even make any sense, it's just obtuse.

tim1138

PounchEnvy said:
A lot of stuff was removed from the game according to the scripts but to answer your question skipping the revenge missions means you
don't get the ability to go jacketless (the thing is pretty glitchy and it can ruin you wardrobe so no big loss)
but more importantly you
lose the satisfaction of killing the baddies responsible for Bishop's death

So it doesn't really change anything then, no new cut scenes or anything?

It almost makes me wonder if the game is supposed to be a parody of sequels.

ezekial45

Banned
Finished it after 8 hours.

What the hell happened? I loved the first game so much, but i practically had to force myself just to finish this one. Aside from a few features (side jobs), this game has no personality. Practically all the boss characters sucked, we barely know anything about most of them, their motivation, and you're often times just thrown into these environments without any explanation.

It seemed like they used combat to fill in alot of the gaps in the game. The supermarket parking lot fight was a nightmare, in particular. I like the combat, but it wears thin really quick. The first game knew better NOT to have you fight 20 or so waves of enemies. Not only that, it actually threw some additional elements to spice thing up (mostly during the bosses fights). Mostly all of the boss fights in this game, however, had you running after your opponent with your sword, waiting for him/her to stop so you can attack. It's ridiculous.

The whole game just feels really cheap. Like a straight to dvd sequel. I'm a little upset now, i was expecting to like this game, but i've never been this disappointed in a game since Devil May Cry 2.

Did something happen during development? Did they go overbudget or something and had cuts chunks of the game? Please, i'm looking for some answers.

EDIT: The camera was alot worse in this game as well. I don't know why anyone would actually think that bringing the camera closer to Travis during targeting would solve things. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
ezekial45 said:

What the hell happened? I loved the first game so much, but i practically had to force my self just to finish this one. Aside from a few features (side jobs), this game has no personality. Practically all the boss characters sucked, we barely know anything about most of them, their motivation, and you're often times just thrown into these environments without any explanation.

It seemed like they used combat to fill in alot of the gaps in the game. The supermarket parking lot fight was a nightmare, in particular. I like the combat, but it wears thin really quick. The first game knew better NOT to have you fight 20 or so waves of enemies. Not only that, it actually threw some additional elements to spice thing up (mostly during the bosses fights). Mostly all of the boss fights had you running after your opponent with your sword, waiting for him/her to stop so you can attack. It's ridiculous.

The whole game just feels really cheap. Like a straight to dvd sequel. I'm a little upset now, i was expecting to like this game, but i've never been this disappointed in a game since Devil May Cry 2.

Did something happen during development? Did they go overbudget or something and had cuts chunks of the game? Please, i'm looking for some answers.

While I wouldn't say it's as bad as DMC2, having just finished NMH2 this morning and being a huge fan of the original, your sentiments are spot on for me. Trying to think about similar great game -> disappointing sequel situation, DMC2 was the first game to come to my mind as well.

Personally I think the problems came from being a quick cash in sequel. Suda has never been about sequels (much like treasure) because the man is about originality and trying fresh concepts. So this being a quickly put together retread kinda goes against what Suda stands for in a way. Also from what people are saying Suda has been busy post-NMH with his EA game and likely didn't spend the same kind of time/care on NMH2 that he did on NMH1 since he's not the "director" but rather "executive director" this time around.

But yeah, was very disappointed when I finished it. Those last two levels were so boring and tedious and the final boss was lame.

Bebpo

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
What the fuck at the bike bumper car battle, this shit is horrible.

That was the 2nd hardest part in the entire game for me. Took me almost 30-40 mins of retries last night until I knocked him off. Wouldn't be as bad if the camera actually faced the guy and the bike didn't control like molasses.

If you stick with it and just keep hitting him here and there eventually he'll get dizzied with stars over his head. Then you can just ram him off.

somedevil

jaundicejuice said:

I find this funny how hard people find this. I beat this part in under two minutes. You don't have to ram him at all. You just got to get close an edge and when he goes fast move out of the way and he falls off himself. I've beaten the game twice and both times he fell off himself.

Also, the bosses in nmh 2 are better than 1 except for the final boss is where no more heroes has the advantage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For me, I needed to hit him with my motorcycle IMMEDIATELY at the start and keep the pressure on. If I didn't get him then, I was never able to realign myself to hit him and I would always die. Was an awful part, but atleast the fight after is one of the best in the game.

Bebpo

Banned
somedevil said:
I find this funny how hard people find this. I beat this part in under two minutes. You don't have to ram him at all. You just got to get close an edge and when he goes fast move out of the way and he falls off himself. I've beaten the game twice and both times he fell off himself.

Also, the bosses in nmh 2 are better than 1 except for the final boss is where no more heroes has the advantage.

I spent most of my 30 mins sitting at the edge of the cliff trying to get him to ram at me so I could quickly boost out of the way and he'd fall off. it never worked once. He would always stop a good 5 feet from the cliff and go immediately into his invincible spin so you couldn't finish the job.

Papercuts said:
For me, I needed to hit him with my motorcycle IMMEDIATELY at the start and keep the pressure on. If I didn't get him then, I was never able to realign myself to hit him and I would always die. Was an awful part, but atleast the fight after is one of the best in the game.

This I agree with. It was one of the few good fights in the game with fun patterns.

botticus

somedevil said:

I think that part took me about 30 seconds, we ran into each other once or twice and then I turbo'd him off the edge.

About 20-50 seconds for the bike battle myself. If you evade him enough, he will eventually get dizzy and you have to listen for when that happens(the chirping noise when enemies have stars dancing around their head). You have a free pass to knock him out during that time.

For the record, I just beat the game in bitter difficulty a few days ago. It only took about 5 retries total for the entire final boss :D I love the fight now. The first game lacked that kind of balls to the walls challenge. Landing the final blow on his second form feels so damn fulfilling.

Take deep breaths for I know this hurts but you complainers are silly. Jumping is one thing but I can't even think of a response to some of the things mentioned here. I'll just count my blessings and appreciate how Desperate Struggle was able to become one of my most beloved games along with the original.

Threi

notag
I intentionally fell off the rooftops of the shinobu stage multiple times because I forgot the chests, but its not really that difficult to stay on the top.

What was annoying was the first part of the Ryuji fight. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever had to do in videogames.

Beaten. Even though Desperate Struggle is a very enjoyable game and better than its predecessor in a number ways, I don't know if I like it more than the original.

I beat this earlier today. While I love NMH2 and the original, I agree with Ezekial, Bebpo, and JaundiceJuice with their opinion of the game right above

Still enjoyed it though. Was it just me, or did some of the fight areas before the ranked bosses have no music? There were 2 times I can remember that played absolutely nothing while I killed the dudes to get to the next area

Also, ending spoiler:
The ending kinda sucked. He falls to the street, Sylvia saves him, drops him off, then the reveal is that Travis is the one she was talking to in the booth. The end? C'mon, I want epic shit like the Henry fight while running down the street, they jump at each other, BOOM. Turns into painting of them and cue No More No More Heroes song, sooooo awesome. Travis didn't even vist Bishop's grave or anything, the ending was weak

Vinnk

According to the tracking info, I will have this in my hands tomorrow. Finally! Now I will be able to read this thread again and actually be able to highlight the spoilers.

Dizzle24

I'm still pissed off that some of my clothes keep disappearing and my
"No Jacket"
option fucking vanished. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Dizzle24

Nir3m3diados said:
how that happened?

If I knew what was causing things to disappear, I would fix it and not be enraged. :lol

But if you're talking about the "option" then just finish all of the Revenge missions.

FSLink

Banned
I just did the waiting near the edge thing and it worked the first time, Ryuji just skidded right off.
The 2nd time though, I did the same thing, and he fell off within 5 seconds nowhere near me. @_@;

Ravidrath

Has there been any word on when the OST will be released?

Holding off to see if nextgen ports happen, but don't think I can wait for the OST.

Poyunch

Ravidrath said:
Has there been any word on when the OST will be released?

Holding off to see if nextgen ports happen, but don't think I can wait for the OST.
>:|

So if the game never ports you'll never buy the game? >:|

Ravidrath

PounchEnvy said:
>:|

So if the game never ports you'll never buy the game? >:|

No, I will buy the game if the nextgen port doesn't happen.

I plan to double-dip on NMH1, even if I have to import... but that doesn't mean I want to do it twice. :p

Poyunch

Roto13 said:
I replayed NMH 1 and then played through NMH 2 a second time to see if I appreciated it more. I did not. *le sigh*

But did you appreciate NMH 1 more?

Ravidrath said:
No, I will buy the game if the nextgen port doesn't happen.

I plan to double-dip on NMH1, even if I have to import... but that doesn't mean I want to do it twice. :p
Me too. If I could import and if I owned a PS3/3360. :(

ezekial45 said:

What the hell happened? I loved the first game so much, but i practically had to force myself just to finish this one. Aside from a few features (side jobs), this game has no personality. Practically all the boss characters sucked, we barely know anything about most of them, their motivation, and you're often times just thrown into these environments without any explanation.

It seemed like they used combat to fill in alot of the gaps in the game. The supermarket parking lot fight was a nightmare, in particular. I like the combat, but it wears thin really quick. The first game knew better NOT to have you fight 20 or so waves of enemies. Not only that, it actually threw some additional elements to spice thing up (mostly during the bosses fights). Mostly all of the boss fights in this game, however, had you running after your opponent with your sword, waiting for him/her to stop so you can attack. It's ridiculous.

EDIT: The camera was alot worse in this game as well. I don't know why anyone would actually think that bringing the camera closer to Travis during targeting would solve things. :lol

AMEN, couldn't have said it better myself. Not a great way to start off 2010 :(

Roto13

PounchEnvy said:
But did you appreciate NMH 1 more?
I always appreciated NMH 1. :p (Especially with a downloaded save file with lots of cash so grinding and overworld stuff is kept to a minimum.)

Poyunch

I basically see the two games as complimentary. They both approach the same basic format (of an otaku rising up the ranks among a number of assassins in an over-the-top fashion) but in different ways. Both do things better and worse than the other.

I definitely don't see NMH 2 as worse just different but I still prefer the original over the sequel. If I ever introduce someone to the series I'll make it a point to have that person play both games back-to-back to see which one they prefer.

Roto13

PounchEnvy said:
I basically see the two games as complimentary. They both approach the same basic format (of an otaku rising up the ranks among a number of assassins in an over-the-top fashion) but in different ways. Both do things better and worse than the other.

I definitely don't see NMH 2 as worse just different but I still prefer the original over the sequel. If I ever introduce someone to the series I'll make it a point to have that person play both games back-to-back to see which one they prefer.
I definitely wouldn't describe NMH 2 as a bad game, especially compared to the first one. From a purely gameplay standpoint, it improves upon it's predecessor in almost every way. But I loved the first one for the over-the-top craziness and NMH 2 peaked early in that department. And the ending just depressed me, it was so blah.

Roto13 said:
I definitely wouldn't describe NMH 2 as a bad game, especially compared to the first one. From a purely gameplay standpoint, it improves upon it's predecessor in almost every way. But I loved the first one for the over-the-top craziness and NMH 2 peaked early in that department. And the ending just depressed me, it was so blah.

agree. I was expecting a fake or bad ending too, like the first one. nope

Query, for those that have replayed the game a few times already is having to go to the gym and maxing my stats out really necessary for a bitter playthrough?

Is it going to make a big difference among the canon fodder enemies or bosses for that matter? I was wonder if I should invest my time once I hit my bitter file as I'm nearing my 2nd playthrough on sweet.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
This is the most retarded GAF backlash of all time. As bad as DMC2, :lol :lol :lol :lol

Why the fuck do people have such a goddamn hardon for the bosses in the first game? They had no goddamn character development, just a couple of throwaway lines of dialogue before the fucking fights. That's it. NMH2 have the phone calls to replace that, ala MGS codec calls before the bosses.

Swittcher

Banned
Nintendo Go has a news story running about the original NMH2 GDDs, which illustrate that Desperate Stuggle was going to be way, way more ambitious than it turned out to be.

But the actual PDFs require a password to unzip, and I can't find it anywhere. :(

Chairhome

jaundicejuice said:
Maybe I got lucky, but I did this in less than 20 seconds the first time I got here. I hit him twice with nitro and he went off the edge.

I see a lot of negative (or rather, disappointment) comments and I feel like I have to defend it or something. The game might not have lived up to what it could have been, but I don't understand people feeling that its a terrible game. The quirkiness of the first game was definitely carried on, and I felt like this had a little more of a narrative. Aside from the last two or three levels, the levels were an improvement. Even the last few ones, that were a little longer than the rest weren't too bad. I used Peony and went through them pretty quickly, just make sure to use your ecstasy gauge a lot. I actually used Peony the most throughout the entire game.

I do agree that the jumping with Shinobu was terrible, though, especially during the boss fights.

The DMC2 comparison seems unfair, but I didn't play DMC until 3. But I heard that DMC2 was horrendous. I don't think this one is.

TheCardPlayer said:
This is the most retarded GAF backlash of all time. As bad as DMC2, :lol :lol :lol :lol

Why the fuck do people have such a goddamn hardon for the bosses in the first game? They had no goddamn character development, just a couple of throwaway lines of dialogue before the fucking fights. That's it. NMH2 have the phone calls to replace that, ala MGS codec calls before the bosses.

I agree with you 100%. The bosses were also more fun in NMH 2. Also people are really bitching about the the phone calls? really? The only shitty boss in NMH2 was Shinobu's boss who had no character and was generic. What was so bad about the final boss? I thought it was a pretty epic encounter and very fitting for the game. Way more fun and cooler looking than Henry or Jeanne in NMH1.The only things that make NMH1 better are.

- Heavenly Star
- Overwolrd (Thats debatable)
- The cloths
- Weird enemy cannon fodder like guys with bags over their head
- Ending

Anybody that does not like this game because of the story just doesnt get it. This game is a game that is not supposed to make any sense. You just go with it. Who cares if Travis is fighting in a graveyard?

Chairhome

Swittcher said:
Nintendo Go has a news story running about the original NMH2 GDDs, which illustrate that Desperate Stuggle was going to be way, way more ambitious than it turned out to be.

But the actual PDFs require a password to unzip, and I can't find it anywhere. :(
Are you talking about the same PDFs that they probably got from the first post of the last page? The password is
shoryuken

Urban Scholar said:
Query, for those that have replayed the game a few times already is having to go to the gym and maxing my stats out really necessary for a bitter playthrough?

Is it going to make a big difference among the canon fodder enemies or bosses for that matter? I was wonder if I should invest my time once I hit my bitter file as I'm nearing my 2nd playthrough on sweet.
I beat the game on Mild and felt like the game would have been ten times harder if I didn't max out my stats.

Swittcher

Banned
Yeah, anyone saying that Desperate Struggle is Suda's DMC2 is probably the dumbest person on the planet right now.

DS's gameplay is vastly improved, it's just storyline, script, and other additional things that some argue are acking when compared to the first.

DMC2 was just an anal atom bomb.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Host Samurai said:
Anybody that does not like this game because of the story just doesnt get it. This game is a game that is not supposed to make any sense. You just go with it. Who cares if Travis is fighting in a graveyard?

Exactly!

Takashi Miike is in the game! The man is one of my favorite directors, and his presence prefectly reflects the game's mindset. It's batshit insane and the fact that it makes no sense, is the entire point!

Of course, I wouldn't expect Gaffers, to know Miike and his work.

Dascu

Swittcher said:

They were posted in this very thread on the previous page. And it really wasn't all that different than from the final version.

Swittcher

Banned
Dascu said:
They were posted in this very thread on the previous page. And it really wasn't all that different than from the final version.

Ah! Thanks! Weirdly, the last page of this thread is the only one I didn't look at, when I was scanning the last couple of pages, to see if they had been posted.

Top Bottom