• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Xbox? Have no fear with Amazon Fire TV Stick

Sorcerer

This ad is so weird. The way she has to exclaim I don't have an Xbox makes it seem like She has no interest in Xbox at all. That just comes across as a bad messaging. It would be hilarious is she said Sony or Nintendo.
Also that you have to terrify someone to try your console/platform is bizarre.
But once she picks up the controller she seems like a confident enough gamer.

I wish Phil Spencer was revealed to be the voice on the other line. LOL!!!

Last edited:

Jesb

I’m considering getting this. I have GFN but there’s a lot of games not on their version of gamepass. Has anyone tried these firesticks with gamepass yet?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not a great ad.

I'm not sure why they didn't just say "you loved watching Fallout, now play Fallout in the same place." Or something like that.
Yeah, would have been MUCH better than this crap of an ad.

They are clearly targeting people who watch TV but don't necessarily game / own a gaming console. Should have shown Fallout and Halo TV shows, the viewer watching the show, and then switching to playing the Fallout and Halo games, seamlessly.

Ozriel

M$FT
Way to undervalue your own product by telling others you don't really need it lol.

Also, what a terrible ad!

The whole idea of GP, PC Day 1 and XCloud is that you don’t need really need a console to play Xbox games. They’ve been pushing that for a while now, so this is nothing new.

The product they’re pushing is the software. Not exactly being ‘undervalued’ by this ad, is it?

Ad could be more engaging, agreed. But it does the job and pushes the message across. ‘Terrible’ is usually reserved for when the ad fails to showcase the product.

Schmick

I played Forza Motorsport (2023) on my Xbox One the other day, played really well without any noticeable lag and the image quality is pretty good. I like to flip from GeForce Now (PC) and xCloud (living room).

If only MS would allow Minecraft on xCloud, then I would probably get rid of the Xbox.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

Not for me but casual gamers will get to discover some amazing games. Better than wasting time and money on mobile "games".

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I ordered a firestick to try this. Hopefully can load GFN to it too.

Had the shield for a while but it's a shitty UI.

tommib

I’m cool with this but I hope xcloud gets much better. The image quality, lag and artefacts are a big issue when I tried it for Scorn, FH5 and Hi-fi Rush. I always regretted subscribing to try these games via xcloud. It’s below any acceptable standard.

While this product and cloud streaming in general is not for me, I recognize that this allows MS to reach a large untapped userbase. Some relatives recently came over to my house and had fun playing some multiplayer games on the Switch (FastRMX, Mario Party, Puyo Puyo Tetris). Their son wanted a game console of his own. They asked me if this is a good idea. They wanted to be sure as the Switch costs "nearly 200GBP". I said first of all the Switch that can play games on the TV actually costs around 250 GBP, and the games will set them back another 60 GBP or so. They said that it is a bit too much as they are not sure if their son will use the device enough to justify the expense. They then talked about gamepass on their Samsung TV. They already had an old 360 controller (Kinect purchase) and downloaded the 1 GBP 14 day GP trial. Their son is having fun playing the Lego Star Wars Skywalker saga on the telly and they might get GP Ultimate.

I realize that this is a personal anecdote and not indicative of broader market trends. I hope that Nintendo and Sony also try making more universal streaming apps/services to reach more users.

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Talk about downplaying your own product. It seems like Microsoft has well and truly admitted they've failed to sell consoles so they're now brute forcing their way into the living room. All the acquisitions make sense now.

I have a Amazon Fire stick, but never owned an Xbox because their content just isn't up my street. But with all their acquisitions; if their exclusive stuff ends up being decent, then I may consider it.

Last edited:

Skyfox

I’d say it’ll take another 10 years before game companies realise that the lower the latency, the higher the player engagement.

GymWolf

Gold Member
giphy.webp

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
What people don't realize is that Xbox is pivoting here as Nintendo pivoted. And similarly, they're pivoting towards their strength.

They acknowledged they weren't going to outconsole Sony and Nintendo. That's a quote from Phil (brushed off for reasons).

Microsoft knows that they're early to the market on cloud, but that cloud is likely the future. Sony realizes this as well and they're focusing more on the backend. They've yet to go all in. Cloud streaming is on PC, but not Mac, iOS, Android, SmartTV, PS Portal. I think PS Portal will be the first to get PS5 streaming, because Sony wants more control over your streaming experience, i.e. to buy a PlayStation product. I think we'll see PS streaming via Android, since Sony's strategy is clearly so Android focused. PS Portal runs on Android and Sony TVs run on Android TV.

Again, the only difference is Sony is taking their time, while Microsoft is clearly making a strong pivot because they've already acknowledged that their hardware sales are in decline.

Microsoft isn't selling enough hardware, software, or subscriptions to justify staying on course.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This isn't undervaluing anything, but of course that's the take here. This is less of an entertainment type of prestige commercial, and more just an ad hitting the points they want. By repeating a few times that she doesn't have an Xbox she is specifically targeting people's attention who don't have an Xbox. If you haven't gotten an Xbox before, you see an ad for Xbox and know that's not for you and stop listening. This subconsciously forces you to listen even if you don't have an Xbox so they can make their sales pitch. It's not some amazing ad, but it communicates the core message over and over. If you don't have an Xbox, you can play this. That's it.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Given the fact that a Fire Stick is one of the worse streaming sticks I've even used... can't even imagine how the UX is gonna be :-D

I once bought every major streaming device on the market.

• Apple TV 4K
  • Roku Ultra
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Amazon Fire Stick 4K

I gave away the Roku Ultra and returned the Nvidia Shield and the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick is EASILY the worst of the bunch. The few advantages it had were hampered by its poor UX and poor performance.

Honorable mention for native WebOS which is better than a Roku Ultra, but not as good as Apple TV 4K.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m cool with this but I hope xcloud gets much better. The image quality, lag and artefacts are a big issue when I tried it for Scorn, FH5 and Hi-fi Rush. I always regretted subscribing to try these games via xcloud. It’s below any acceptable standard.

It’s a weird mix from MS. Advertising XCloud and pushing for free Fortnite, but being too lazy to improve the streaming quality and experience. At the very least, they should be swapping out the Series S blades for XSX modules and streaming in 4K for paid subscribers.

No reason why they can’t be close to GFN in quality.

tommib

It’s a weird mix from MS. Advertising XCloud and pushing for free Fortnite, but being too lazy to improve the streaming quality and experience. At the very least, they should be swapping out the Series S blades for XSX modules and streaming in 4K for paid subscribers.

No reason why they can’t be close to GFN in quality.
I didn’t know they were streaming Series S quality video. No wonder my experiences with it were pretty poor for image quality.

What people don't realize is that Xbox is pivoting here as Nintendo pivoted. And similarly, they're pivoting towards their strength.

They acknowledged they weren't going to outconsole Sony and Nintendo. That's a quote from Phil (brushed off for reasons).

Microsoft knows that they're early to the market on cloud, but that cloud is likely the future. Sony realizes this as well and they're focusing more on the backend. They've yet to go all in. Cloud streaming is on PC, but not Mac, iOS, Android, SmartTV, PS Portal. I think PS Portal will be the first to get PS5 streaming, because Sony wants more control over your streaming experience, i.e. to buy a PlayStation product. I think we'll see PS streaming via Android, since Sony's strategy is clearly so Android focused. PS Portal runs on Android and Sony TVs run on Android TV.

Again, the only difference is Sony is taking their time, while Microsoft is clearly making a strong pivot because they've already acknowledged that their hardware sales are in decline.

Microsoft isn't selling enough hardware, software, or subscriptions to justify staying on course.
just a reminded. PS Now was on Samsung TVs already

King Dazzar

the only difference is Sony is taking their time
No GIF

I once bought every major streaming device on the market.

• Apple TV 4K
  • Roku Ultra
  • Nvidia Shield
  • Amazon Fire Stick 4K

I gave away the Roku Ultra and returned the Nvidia Shield and the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick is EASILY the worst of the bunch. The few advantages it had were hampered by its poor UX and poor performance.

Honorable mention for native WebOS which is better than a Roku Ultra, but not as good as Apple TV 4K.
To be fair, by fire stick, I'd expect this to also be available on the 3rd Gen Cube. And the cube is a more relevant comparison to the likes of the Apple 4k. In which case they are very quick. I hate the way its ui has gone and lots of other things Amazon are doing. But hardware wise, you'd likely be impressed with a cube.

Last edited:

SHA

Are you a super casual gamer with no current gen console and no pc? Well for the low price of 18 bucks a month you can play games you clearly have no interest in but pixelated and with input lag. The ultimate experience!
Next gen is current gen.

Top Bottom