• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Xbox? Have no fear with Amazon Fire TV Stick

Vyse

Gold Member
I travel a lot and have a fire stick. Heading out today and already have my series s packed. Will take my Firestick and try it out.

If it works well, I’m down.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I travel a lot and have a fire stick. Heading out today and already have my series s packed. Will take my Firestick and try it out.

It works well on my Series S wirelessly. I've never been to a hotel with good internet though. Even my phone is slow loading pages when I travel usually. But I'm curious to hear how it works for you.

Sethbacca

I'm no fan of streaming gaming, but it works well for non twitch type games. Turn based RPGs, visual novels, strategy games, etc. Where it falls apart is shooters, racers, fighting games and the like. This would probably be fine for people that aren't fans of twitch games.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I'd be interested to know how well it works on hotel wifi for sure. I don't go on business trips much, but a firestick and controller would be an easy add to my luggage when I do.

DryvBy

I actually know someone in real life that thinks this idea of saying you don't need d a console is smart because execs run numbers behind the scenes.

If execs didn't have all "yes boss" men behind them, they'd never have this kind of stupid ad in the first place. While Netflix, something you just watch, is successful, it doesn't mean gaming will be for the non-gamer. Plus, Netflix has gaming already, and casual phone apps is what that gamer would want, not Halo. If MS would have went more into movies and shows before this, maybe it would work but they never want to think ahead.

Tldr; replace top execs with AI and companies will be managed better than high level college execs that waste company resources on meetings.

Who wants to buy a controller, pay a sub, for games that can leave at any time, which doesn't even include all GP games to start with, and you can't even get them on sale when they're leaving the service?
If MS was smart they'd try to get this included in hotel stays.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
No GIF

To be fair, by fire stick, I'd expect this to also be available on the 3rd Gen Cube. And the cube is a more relevant comparison to the likes of the Apple 4k. In which case they are very quick. I hate the way its ui has gone and lots of other things Amazon are doing. But hardware wise, you'd likely be impressed with a cube.

The cube is slower than the fire stick... not sure where you're getting that it is equivalent to the apple tv 4k.

T-Cake

Is this USA only? There is no sign of any app on my Firestick in UK.

EDIT: Also seems to be new 2023 models only - I have original Firestick 4K Max from 2021 so that's a no go.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

For the love of God, just buy a series S instead.
I get what you are saying, but the S for the price is a bit gimped in the storage arena, something you don't have to worry about with cloud gaming. Now that there are so many S variations I think they start to lose value as you climb up the expense ladder, you have to say to yourself should I just get an X, and again there are too many models of the damn thing as well. The classic trap!!!. It can't compete with a $40 stick you may have anyway. And you need Gamepass if you want to cloud game regardless.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

wait a minute.... this is only avaliable on the 4K TV firestick version but Xbox streaming is only on 1080?....if true, this is the most Xbox thing ever.
I find it strange that (I am assuming) you can't get in on the Fire Cube, or a Fire TV (Samsung may have locked in the TV rights in that case). They really are trying to present it people as a dirt-cheap way to get into Xbox, and I guess to suggest other completely compatible devices would ruin that message? Bizzare when you could present it as anywhere platform within the Firestick Family. Have a Firestick on a non Amazon TV, but a Fire TV elsewhere in the house just move the game there if need be.

Astray

What people don't realize is that Xbox is pivoting here as Nintendo pivoted. And similarly, they're pivoting towards their strength.

They acknowledged they weren't going to outconsole Sony and Nintendo. That's a quote from Phil (brushed off for reasons).

Microsoft knows that they're early to the market on cloud, but that cloud is likely the future. Sony realizes this as well and they're focusing more on the backend. They've yet to go all in. Cloud streaming is on PC, but not Mac, iOS, Android, SmartTV, PS Portal. I think PS Portal will be the first to get PS5 streaming, because Sony wants more control over your streaming experience, i.e. to buy a PlayStation product. I think we'll see PS streaming via Android, since Sony's strategy is clearly so Android focused. PS Portal runs on Android and Sony TVs run on Android TV.

Again, the only difference is Sony is taking their time, while Microsoft is clearly making a strong pivot because they've already acknowledged that their hardware sales are in decline.

Microsoft isn't selling enough hardware, software, or subscriptions to justify staying on course.
Innovator's dilemma simply doesn't exist when your existing product (Xbox hardware and platform royalties) is already loss-making and has nothing to be cannibalized.

They're going to embrace every cutting-edge idea because they simply have nothing right now and the risk downside is neutralized as part of a multi-trillion Corp.

Ozriel

M$FT
wait a minute.... this is only avaliable on the 4K TV firestick version but Xbox streaming is only on 1080?....if true, this is the most Xbox thing ever.

The 4K versions have more powerful processors, and that’s most likely the driver for restricting it to those hardware.

I’d never recommend anyone buy the non 4K sticks. Sluggish as hell.

Ozriel

M$FT
Innovator's dilemma simply doesn't exist when your existing product (Xbox hardware and platform royalties) is already loss-making and has nothing to be cannibalized.

They're going to embrace every cutting-edge idea because they simply have nothing right now and the risk downside is neutralized as part of a multi-trillion Corp.

Platform royalties are ‘loss making’?

They already went full on with the cloud years ago, even from the start of the gen when things looked relatively more rosy.

and XCloud has been on Samsung 4K smart TVs for a while now.

They’ve baselined it on the 4K Fire TV sticks because of the chipset power and those are the only models with > 1GB RAM.
i know. I'm taking about their ongoing fumbling with their messaging, their inability to meet standards/expectations:

"4K streaming device... the expectations are 4K game streaming, right?"

I mean, Nvidia is offering 4k streaming for example I think even PS does.

Astray

Platform royalties are ‘loss making’?

They already went full on with the cloud years ago, even from the start of the gen when things looked relatively more rosy.
Xbox has only started sharing profit and loss figures since they closed the ATVI deal (all the released figures point to losses btw). Before that we had zero clue about the profit/loss figures for the Xbox ecosystem and division.

No one ever hides profits, it's in the division's interest to tout good numbers to engender good will from investors and win internal decisions in its favor. The absence of these figures is a major red flag in any business.

What we've seen easily points to a loss imo. But Microsoft and other giant corporations can easily handle taking losses for an extended period of time to achieve larger strategy goals.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
3rd gen cube benchmarks:
l1cQyAc.png
ivhQdbK.png

From what I've heard and seen the Cube's performance doesn't match it's benchmarks. That might have been more oriented around the 1st and 2nd gen, but I doubt there's significant improvement with the 3rd gen. Certainly not enough to put it in the same ballpark as the Apple TV 4K.

TrebleShot

From what I've heard and seen the Cube's performance doesn't match it's benchmarks. That might have been more oriented around the 1st and 2nd gen, but I doubt there's significant improvement with the 3rd gen. Certainly not enough to put it in the same ballpark as the Apple TV 4K.
I have a apple tv 4k gathering dust in my cupboards.

Nice UI but as with all things apple your heavily restricted.

It's a little bit more open so you can at least use a vpn on it now but it's still fairly useless unless you use all conventional streaming apps.

If you want stremio , IPTV or anything international such as other regional streaming apps forget about it.

ren008

Neo Member
Tried it out last night with my 4k max on 5ghz wifi. A pixelly, laggy mess full of compression artifacts and the occassional screen wipe effect.

Then tried xcloud for the first time in years on my wired series x. Also a (slightly less) laggy but still pixelated mess with someless less screenwipe effect going on.

Xcloud in any form remains absolute garbage.

Ozriel

M$FT
i know. I'm taking about their ongoing fumbling with their messaging, their inability to meet standards/expectations:

"4K streaming device... the expectations are 4K game streaming, right?"

I mean, Nvidia is offering 4k streaming for example I think even PS does.

The mass market audience they’re aiming for won’t really know or care about these things.

Xbox has only started sharing profit and loss figures since they closed the ATVI deal (all the released figures point to losses btw). Before that we had zero clue about the profit/loss figures for the Xbox ecosystem and division.

No one ever hides profits, it's in the division's interest to tout good numbers to engender good will from investors and win internal decisions in its favor. The absence of these figures is a major red flag in any business.

Loss on hardware is possible.

There’s no logical way to say they’re making a loss on platform royalties from third party game sales and IAPs.

King Dazzar

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

C'mon man you're more intelligent than that. The benchmarks clearly show the improvements and massive performance uptick over sticks. I'm pointing out that the cube may be far better than the sticks with using the xbox app.

Sorcerer

Anybody have any word on what Phil said about making all your purchased Xbox games work on the cloud/gamepass?
He said July I believe. Soon?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

C'mon man you're more intelligent than that. The benchmarks clearly show the improvements and massive performance uptick over sticks. I'm pointing out that the cube may be far better than the sticks with using the xbox app.

Again dude, not sure you've used these devices in person or seen comparisons, but they're not effectively designed products and benchmarks alone are not evidence of solid performance.

If anything they're marginally better than the sticks now with the 3rd gen cubes, but still not worth it in my book.

The mass market audience they’re aiming for won’t really know or care about these things.
Not the point at all. But now that you bring the mass market audience into the equation... they are the ones that not even care about gaming in the first place (just look at the amount of Luna subscribers).

solidus12

I know this is a bit off topic but the other thread is kinda dead and I need confirmation.

Is this true?

0Bydgdv.jpeg

If true I’ll buy a Series X in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom