• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

JaggedSac

Somes are talking about MCC like it will be Halo 5.

Well, people will be able to play Halo 5 this year. Regardless, it won't help anything.

Speaking of Halo 5. So strange we have heard next to nothing about this game and we will be playing it in a couple months.

Ndless

Banned
Can't believe Madden sold more on PS4 even with the XBO bundle. If CoD sells more on PS4 I think it's fair to say that that'd be the last nail on the coffin.

There really isn't any other game that when mentioned screams Xbox. And any future exclusives simply aren't going to cut it (as amazing as Horizon 2 is, seriously).

Part of me is sad, because it's becoming more and more clear this gen won't be really that competitive. But another part of me, the one that grew up around the PS2 era, really wishes for that blissful homogeneity back. ALL the games, one console.

Oh well, whatever can happen, will happen...

hawk2025

It still is $499. Adding a SKU that is missing a part of the first SKU isn't a true price drop.

$299 Kinectless and $399 with Kinect would be price cuts.

No its not $499.

Kinect is optional now.

You are the one that made it a big deal. I simply said "first price drop" and you responded to it.

Not if that becomes the new standard -- They are getting the same item just redesigned.

Heh, you are tying two different two points together.

...It wasn't considering the only model there was before then was XB1 + Kinect.

There has definitely been many deals that have made getting an XB1 a better value to many in comparison to launch but the system never had a true price drop. Me saying that was never intended to be a "just wait until..." point or anything of that nature. I simply said that I could see the Kinectless SKU getting dropped to $300 next year if the system has a bit disappointing Holiday season.

I'm tying two different points together because they are intrinsically connected by logic, and one point of the argument contradicts the other.

I harped on the point of being a "first price drop" because it whitewashes the intent and relevance of the pricing movements so far, which is an important thing to keep in mind when talking about sales. For all practical, logical, and revenue-related purposes, the console has had its price drop over time.

Another month. Not much has changed.

I do think MS will be ahead in the NPD's for 1 month this holiday though. Maybe only by a inch and with bundles so big they will be bleeding money but I think it will happen.

If not they will be down until they get the slim out.

Eh I'm not convinced that people who buy a Destiny bundled PS4 4 days ago are going to run in mass to Amazon to pre-order COD:AW when it's almost guaranteed most of them won't have even finished the story of Destiny by now

Whereas with the Gamescom introduction of COD AW's multiplayer being heavily Xbox branded and in early April, I can totally see August pre-orders being skewed by that

Furthermore though I don't really hold august or September amazon rankings to be super interesting at the moment again because COD AW hasn't broken into the Top 100 for the year which it will almost assuredly do thus pre-orders haven't got to critical mass yet

We'll see, but these are the same indicators that we saw with Destiny and Watch Dogs and I think most know how that went. In August the Xbox One numbers were far ahead of the PS4's in sales. In September the sales are basically the same even with probably much more new PS4 owners this month than XB1 owners.

I'm not saying they all immediately pre-ordered CoD, but it's the next real BIG game out for the PS4 so I could see many doing so as it would be their next purchase.

It hasn't reached mass pre orders yet, but many people have already pre ordered and I don't think that with all the Activision marketing in the coming weeks promoting the XB1 version, bundle, exclusive content, xbox brand strength, etc. that the PS4 version will make up the current gap. Sure, it may be ahead by 1 spot RIGHT NOW due to the massive influx of new owners, but this hasn't been the case since the game was shown off at E3 and there is no real gap in September currently.

Even the XB1 version of Destiny was ahead of the PS4 version for small periods, so I don't think this is really indicative of the larger trend we've seen.

Tmecha

Neo Member
I hope MS can win oct with FH2 and SO and NOV with COD & Halo. Just for competition sake. Phil deserves to win a month or 2 with all he's done with the Xbox this year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can't believe Madden sold more on PS4 even with the XBO bundle. If CoD sells more on PS4 I think it's fair to say that that'd be the last nail on the coffin.

There really isn't any other game that when mentioned screams Xbox. And any future exclusives simply aren't going to cut it (as amazing as Horizon 2 is, seriously).

Part of me is sad, because it's becoming more and more clear this gen won't be really that competitive. But another part of me, the one that grew up around the PS2 era, really wishes for that blissful homogeneity back. ALL the games, one console.

Oh well, whatever can happen, will happen...

What do you mean? This is already shaping up to be there most competitive gen in well, generations!

Its actually pretty exciting. About time we had a real fighting landscape. Going to be great for consumers

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm tying two different points together because they are intrinsically connected by logic, and one point of the argument contradicts the other.

Don't see how it does. "The Xbox One System" was originally Kinect and the XB1 hardware. It used to be the only SKU available. That SKU still exists and it's the same exact price as it was at launch.

Sony be like...

10rq0xe.gif

Ok this made me roll. Someone should Simpsonize Kaz and Shu for that gif.

1. Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
9. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Good showing by EA. I'm surprised BF4 is still up there.

4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
I wonder how well GTA V is going to do. Looks good based on all the TLOU sales.

2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
Activision looking good too . . . and Destiny will obviously be big next month.

3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
This game is a monster. I still don't get but I've bought 3 different versions (for my daughter).

Happy to see PvZ up there. Means there'll be a healthy community for a while. Hopefully it nudges Insomniac to create a new classic Ratchet styled multiplayer game akin to the Deadlocked/UYA days. There's a severe lack of cartoony explosive competitive online games.

I hope MS can win oct with FH2 and SO and NOV with COD & Halo. Just for competition sake. Phil deserves to win a month or 2 with all he's done with the Xbox this year.

I think November will be decided with if GTAV HD comes out this year or not.

I guess Sony still has the co marketing on that so I expect a bundle. Would be the only new pack in they have this holiday after Destiny unless they do a Far Cry pack in?

MS tied up pretty much everything else and anything Sony had got pushed to 2015

Nafai1123

Banned
What do you mean? This is already shaping up to be there most competitive gen in well, generations!

Its actually pretty exciting. About time we had a real fighting landscape. Going to be great for consumers

Eh, pretty sure last gen will end up being much more competitive than this one.

stryke

Better sales or sales parity just for the sake of competition is not how competition works.

Good showing by EA. I'm surprised BF4 is still up there.

I wonder how well GTA V is going to do. Looks good based on all the TLOU sales.

Activision looking good too . . . and Destiny will obviously be big next month.

This game is a monster. I still don't get but I've bought 3 different versions (for my daughter).

Minecraft would of been a perfect fit for a Wii U bundle imo. The game pad would of been perfect for it. Fuck sake Nintendo.

I am underestimating it. $500 SKUs haven't been the best of performers.

Most $500 skus don't have the name Call of Duty attached to the box so I think you would be misguided with that assessment. The CoD bundle is also far outselling the Sunset bundle so there's also that.

Jigorath

Banned

Last gen had 3 strong competitors. Even the PS3 with all its faults did great in Europe and managed 80m+ total sales. I think the difference is like 20m between the Wii and the HD twins. Closest generation since SNES vs Genesis. This gen has only one real competitor with PS4. XBO is a disappointment, and the WiiU is a colossal trainwreck.

Sunset will be the first exclusive Bomba.
I wonder what Ted Price is thinking right now, we can talk about "retaining IP rights" and all that but at the end of the day it's about selling as many copies as possible and making money, having the IP isn't going to mean much if the game doesn't sell a whole lot.

RoKKeR

Well, people will be able to play Halo 5 this year. Regardless, it won't help anything.

Speaking of Halo 5. So strange we have heard next to nothing about this game and we will be playing it in a couple months.

Wait, what. You can't be serious?

BadWolf

Now that the generation is pretty much set to be a PS2 style domination I just hope that we can get another library of games as glorious as the PS2's.

Npd is practically pointless compared to PS2 days. Top ten was routinely selling over 500k in fall and 250k in other months. It was only single SKUs too. Games sold numbers have to be down huge since then.

Everytime we see the real numbers number three down sold under 500k with every SKU counted. I wouldn't be surprised if LoU sold 200k in August.

Chobel

I'm assuming you mean US only and you're totally ignoring Nintendo.

Top Bottom