• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

lowrider007 said:
The GT franchise is king, Kratos will just have to be happy with being the prince for now :p

That game is never coming out. I am convinced of it. Kratos wins!

Sony has to announce PSP2 at E3 that system is dead.

In my area there was shortages into the first week of March and then after that I saw them every where. Only reason I know is my buddy was looking everywhere for one during January and February.

Triple U

Banned
bc226 said:
f you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it.

Does Everyone forget the big lie from Jack tretton about how he would pay money to anyone that found PS3s on shelves, so this shortage talk is Just more Sony lies and spin there is no shortage.
As big a lie as that was there was a shortage because of the new revision on shelves if you didn't know.

The funny thing about the PS2/PSP sales is that they're basically identical, statistically. The PS2 might have actually outsold PSP for the month. Since NPD has to estimate at some point, we can assume that a difference of less than, say, 1-5k or so is probably insignificant.

The situation with PSP (dead everywhere except Japan) is going to be interesting with Sony... especially since backwards-compatibility may not really be viable, and they have some other games coming still for the platform (Peace Walker, Monster Hunters...)

charlequin said:
What else are they going to call it, the "Funman"?

If Kutaragi was still around I know they would go with the "4DSP"

Vinci

Danish
charlequin said:
So you agree that "the Sony Funman" is a good name for their next portable system.

If it's released in a timely manner, they're free to call it whatever they want. If they release it a year or more later than the 3DS, it's name would surely have to change to something far less optimistic.

Grooski

Banned
bc226 said:
f you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it.

Does Everyone forget the big lie from Jack tretton about how he would pay money to anyone that found PS3s on shelves, so this shortage talk is Just more Sony lies and spin there is no shortage.

professor_t said:
I've heard reports that PS3 shortages are expected to continue until it outsells the Xbox360.

Attack You said:
But then they'd have to find another excuse for PS3 sales.

Love NPD time :lol

keep fighting the good fight console warriors!

bc226

Sorry but i refuse to believe anything Sony says given the entire Launch of the PS3 was filled with lies and falsehoods from Almost Every Sony Exec.

Vinci

Danish
Whipped Spartan said:
How about Playstation 3 portable or Playstation 2 portable:D

That makes people think it's a PS2 or PS3.

One of those would be far more appealing to consumers than the other.

timetokill said:
If Kutaragi was still around I know they would go with the "4DSP"

I think Microsoft has a patent on skipping one or more numbers to make your system not sound behind-the-times compared to its primary competitor, actually.

Vinci said:
If it's released in a timely manner, they're free to call it whatever they want. If they release it a year or more later than the 3DS, it's name would surely have to change to something far less optimistic.

I dunno, the "Sony Deadman" sounds kind of badass.

Dragon

Banned
bc226 said:
Sorry but i refuse to believe anything Sony says given the entire Launch of the PS3 was filled with lies and falsehoods from Almost Every Sony Exec.

Just curious, why did you capitalize the last four words but not the 'i' in that sentence? I presume it was for emphasis purposes.

TheBranca18 said:
Just curious, why did you capitalize the last four words but not the 'i' in that sentence? I presume it was for emphasis purposes.

He's humble and doesn't want to call attention to himself

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jigsaw said:
ff ps3 double 360 sales lmao

kratos :eek:

Yikes, and we start right off with a lame post.

a) Not sure why that's "lmao".

b) You went to a different math class than I did, because for the PS3 sales to double 360 sales, it would need to have sold 160k more than it did.

Also, the 360 bundle wasn't counted. I'm sure it wasn't huge, but obviously the 360 version sold a little more than you see here (probably no more than 20-30k though). Wish we were able to get those numbers.

Either way, glad to see the game sell so well. It's great. Fantastic PS3 sales and it did very well on 360 as well. Hopefully this helps push XIII-2 forward. (Though I'd probably enjoy a second offline FF this gen, in the form of XV, even more -- hell, they do both last gen.)

Vinci

Danish
TheBranca18 said:

Maybe it's some sort of code. SLAESE...

Hmm...

Sony Laese...

Sony Lazy??

A-hah! Douche confirmed!

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
PSP have anything good coming out in April? It's gonna drop below 100k otherwise, already at less than 25k a week.

Interesting that once again Anita talked about all but one of the HD games in the top 10 (and even one that isn't) but didn't say anything about the games on the other platforms.

PS3 shortages were mostly resolved mid-to-late March. Wii shortages were mostly resolved at the beginning of the month. I judge this mainly by whether or not Amazon has the system in stock. :p

Red Steel 2 bombed for any/all of the following reasons:
  • Consumer disappointment with the first game
  • Long delay between titles reducing franchise mindshare
  • Total change in art style, setting, and arguably even genre
  • Completely stripping out all multiplayer, the one must-have for *all* successful Wii titles

About the only thing going in its favor was some hype as a WM+ swordfighting game.

The only chace Sony has left in the handheld market is a PlayStation phone, and that kinda names itself. Or if they wanted to avoid the same acronym, PlayStation Mobile. PSm.

bc226

No real reason to it Just How i type sometimes however i see no one is disputing the fact that Sony has lied pretty much Each time in regards to the PS3.

GeoramA

Jesus this thread. It almost has me convinced that PS3 shortages were an industry-wide conspiracy.

MiamiWesker said:
The PS3 sold less this month than last month. Clearly something is up. I'm not going to say it though.

ShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortagesShortages
:lol

Maybe sony should drop out of the handheld business in the west. If not, then the psp2 better be cheap. I mean 199.99 or less. Otherwise, it will probably be devoured by the 3ds and iphone.

The pspgo has done a lot of damage to sony's credibility in the handheld market.

While people are bickering I think sight was lost of the fact that the industry successfully created the holiday season in the spring for the first time. We had 4 million sellers in a non holiday month (Pokemon, BC2, FF13 and GOW). That is pretty big for those of us who like to buy games.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Shortages are only real when they aren't Sony products.
There's a difference between outselling the competition 2-1 then having a month or two dip as stock gradually replenishes and consistently underselling all your competitors, followed by continuing to undersell your competitors.

Curufinwe

Vinci said:
We should get a collection together to sweeten the deal. We get it, folks. Shortages. Awesome. Sony didn't really lose.

They didn't really "lose" this month because they were raking in royalties from the 2,728,600+ units of PS3 games that were sold. They certainly sold less hardware than they would have wanted, and whether that's due to supply problems, lack of demand, or a combination of both doesn't really matter to me.

Sony must be happy with the software numbers, but disappointed with the hardware numbers.

cacildo

Red Steel 2 bombed? How many copies did it sell?

The game was out march 23, NPD had one week of data, and people is complaining that it isnt in the top 10? Is that it? It cant be it, can it?

mintylurb

VALIS said:
How deep these shortages are is a matter of debate, but even more importantly, the common wisdom here among many seems to be the PS3 did well "in spite of shortages," and if that wasn't the case it would've done even better. Purely wishful thinking. There is absolutely no way to know or even assume 400K people wanted PS3s last month but only 314K were available.

316K seems about what it should be doing, anyway. The PS3 had a nice month. People should just take that and not look for excuses why it's third again.
Considering there were shortages in February, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to assume that if the ps3 wasn't supply constraint, it would've sold more than 314K due to pent up demand and release of several big name games.

Of course that's speculation just as the posts which assume the ps3 would've sold around 314K even if wasn't supply constrained. We'll never know for sure. One thing that's clear is Sony's inability to forecast..well anything..

cacildo said:

The game was out march 23, NPD had one week of data, and people is complaining that it isnt in the top 10? Is that it? It cant be it, can it?
Games like RS2 do the bulk of their sales in the first week

ZeoVGM

Banned
bc226 said:

It is an unarguable fact that the PS3 has had supply issues since Christmas.

However it was easier to find in March than it was in February, no question there. If you wanted a PS3, you could find it. You might have had to go to a 2nd store but this wasn't a Wii-esque shortage.

cacildo said:

almost games are front-loaded

unless you're talking only like a single day of sales being counted then there's not going to be much chance of it charting next time

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Games like RS2 do the bulk of their sales in the first week
I don't expect Rs2 numbers to be high. But a 300k would be outside of the top 10 and still be very decent.

Top Bottom