• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Evlar

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
The fuck are you talking about? Do you even read the posts or do you just look randomly at one to jump on? That was a response to the claim that sim racers were dead...
Haven't you heard in the US? You're supposed to read every sentence in an NPD thread as though it ended with the words "in the US" in the US. Any mention of sales in any other territory is subject to derision in the US. Now don't you feel foolish in the US?

bc226

Evlar said:
Haven't you heard in the US? You're supposed to read every sentence in an NPD thread as though it ended with the words "in the US" in the US. Any mention of sales in any other territory is subject to derision in the US. Now don't you feel foolish in the US?

How could anyone resist:

Glad there is no shortage of the US in that reply.

unconcerned said:
2hdwokx.jpg
The hell? What a sad gif. Never use that again.

awesome sales news for God of War 3, that game was great :D
thought more copies of FF13 on 360 as well as PS3 would sell more, still good numbers

here's hoping Red Dead Revolver and Super Mario galaxy can put up some monster numbers next month :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Evlar said:
You're doing it wrong...
230px-Bandit_Keith.PNG

IN AMERICA!

Also, :( at the Pokemon sales divide. The OCD part of my brain doesn't like it when they're more than a hundred thousand or so apart, it seems to mess with the symmetry of the universe.

I'm convinced that releasing big-title games in the spring is moronic. Every single title sans Bioshock 2 and BC2 underperformed. It might work for Pokemon, but FF13 deserved better.

So uuuhm, what to believe concerning these shortages.

I know the PS3 warriors are quick to mention it in this thread again and again to excuse the PS3 doing worse than the 360, and I see the 360 warriors like to make fun of it.

But...isn't it a fact that there are shortages? What are the sources on this? What I've read in this thread: Sony themselves, NPD, Gamestop and anecdotal evidence from shop employees (that last one is not damning evidence, but it adds to the pile). I couldn't give a rats ass if this is, or is not the reason why the PS3 numbers are lower than the 360 ones. But isn't it a bit petty to deny this news? Or at the very least also the showing of bias? By doing so, you'll only encourage people to spam this thread even more with the shortage claim.

Jeels

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm convinced that releasing big-title games in the spring is moronic. Every single title sans Bioshock 2 and BC2 underperformed. It might work for Pokemon, but FF13 deserved better.

I don't think the Pokemon Remakes ever do as good as the main entries. Also, FF13 is supposedly the best first month sales for a game in the franchise, so? And beyond that, GOW3 is in line with series expectations as well.

Yoboman

God damn Sony what a fuck up with the hardware

Hopefully there's some sort of pent up demand for hardware now that they are back on shelves or they just totally blew their opportunity

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
That is more like 500k and likely easily 1 million WW by now. Again if that isn't worth a port what is in fact. More than worth it and the fact that is the fastest selling/best launch to date says a lot.

Doubt that. Only 100K in UK, probably much much less in other European countries, so I don't think all of those add up to 500K combined. FFXII only did around 1 million in Europe on PS2. Considering the split for the entirety of that continent is probably closer to 75/25 for XIII in favor of PS3, yeah... not likely.

bc226

Yoboman said:
God damn Sony what a fuck up with the hardware

Hopefully there's some sort of pent up demand for hardware now that they are back on shelves or they just totally blew their opportunity

Like the pent up demand from 2007,08,09 and now 10?

bucklam66

Wii just keeps selling, I thought they would be around 300,000. Good for God of War though. I am not sure about Sony's market position with their next handheld considering Nintendo's dominance and maybe Apple starting to chip away at the market as well. PSP is a nice little system but hasn't had the support and just didn't catch on like the DS.

Yoboman

bc226 said:
Like the pent up demand from 2007,08,09 and now 10?
No I'm talking about possible pent up demand from the last few months of not having enough hardware out.

Poor attempt, troll

Souldriver said:

I know the PS3 warriors are quick to mention it in this thread again and again to excuse the PS3 doing worse than the 360, and I see the 360 warriors like to make fun of it.

But...isn't it a fact that there are shortages? What are the sources on this? What I've read in this thread: Sony themselves, NPD, Gamestop and anecdotal evidence from shop employees (that last one is not damning evidence, but it adds to the pile). I couldn't give a rats ass if this is, or is not the reason why the PS3 numbers are lower than the 360 ones. But isn't it a bit petty to deny this news? Or at the very least also the showing of bias? By doing so, you'll only encourage people to spam this thread even more with the shortage claim.
The word "shortages" is being conflated out the ass. It's likely that retailers are having issues juggling stock, not that there's some huge, unmet demand and the PS3 would have cleared 500k if only. For whatever reason Sony didn't satisfy orders, and now things are tight and retailers are scrambling to ration correctly. It's not the biggest of deals, but it does inconvienence customers and can lose spur of the moment sales.

Loudninja

Son of Godzilla said:
The word "shortages" is being conflated out the ass. It's likely that retailers are having issues juggling stock, not that there's some huge, unmet demand and the PS3 would have cleared 500k if only. For whatever reason Sony didn't satisfy orders, and now things are tight and retailers are scrambling to ration correctly. It's not the biggest of deals, but it does inconvienence customers and can lose spur of the moment sales.

How would you know any of this?

It's depressing to see Final Fantasy XIII sell that much, especially the shitty Xbox 360 port.

I honestly enjoyed The Last Remnant more than Final Fantasy XIII.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
Anyone got the US LTD for FFX?

Hope this is close: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/324/324006p1.html

Square Electronic Arts today announced that its graphically luxurious, epic RPG, Final Fantasy X, has sold-through more than 1 million units in the North American market. Final Fantasy X shipped to retailers in North America on December 18, 2001.

So yeah, FFXIII might do 5m+ but there's a possibility it might do 4m-4.5m

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SimpleDesign said:
It's depressing to see Final Fantasy XIII sell that much, especially the shitty Xbox 360 port.

I honestly enjoyed The Last Remnant more than Final Fantasy XIII.

Game definitely had a lot more hype going for it than FFXII did.
I don't think XIII will have any legs whatsoever though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Souldriver said:

The actual shortage discussion thread...is currently longer then an NPD

I'd say it's basically the boy who cried wolf. We probably have more PS3 shortage threads here than Wii(Basically...hype for shortages :lol ). 2nd, the word can describe two very different situations. Wii launch shortages vs PS3 launch shortages for example. One was where you would have to kill someone to get one, one was a tight supply but still relatively easy to get.

About games, I figure GoWIII and FFXIII will both drop off pretty fast. May squeak by another month. BC2 could have some legs though. I think the amazing one though is how strong Pokemon preformed. Probably past 2million already.

Jeels said:
Also, FF13 is supposedly the best first month sales for a game in the franchise, so? And beyond that, GOW3 is in line with series expectations as well.
Sure, initial sales are good, but initial sales for this tier of games will always be good. Without the holidays to prop them up, though, every damn game released this spring is going to spiral off to oblivion lightning quick.

Slurmer

Banned
So MGS4 and GOWIII are the only PS3 exclusives to break a million in their opening month? Actually pretty surprised that GOW managed to do it.

Also, shortages.

Truespeed

Great numbers for God of War 3. 1.1 million copies for a game released on March 16th. Just imagine what it could have done with those additional 15 days.

Kind of makes the doubters from the February thread look rather vacuous in the membrane.

Firestorm

Loudninja said:
How would you know any of this?
Well, you know that "If you can find a PS3 on shelves I'll give you $600" or whatever quote? I'd have a lot of money right now if that were binding and in place for March.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ShockingAlberto said:
It's pretty shitty

It may not be below your standards, but it's way less than it could or should be if they're asking the same price as the PS3 verion

Top Bottom