• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

There is going to be a lot of tears and bloodshed before this thread is done...:lol

Freakin MW2 numbers, that's insane! Also lol @ Mario Kart, damn game is the definition of "legs". Good hardware #'s all around for the most part.December will pretty much mirror these figures?

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Accident

e-gamer said:
off course not. He was talking about the PS3 version...:lol

Geoff Keighley interviewed Reggie and he said Reggie was talking about the 360 version.

He posted this today:
geoffkeighley: Reggie vs. Modern Warfare. MW2 so far has 4.2M on Xbox, New Super Mario has 1.4M. Two months of data to go.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it wrong that Mario Kart is one of the most surprising parts of this to me? Holy shit. :lol

Was there some really good deals on it, or is that seriously just the legs?

Cheech

Snipes424 said:
agreed, Uncharted 2 deserves MW2 numbers, but sadly people are too dumb to realize how fucking amazing that game is.

People keep saying this, but damned if I didn't have a much better time with Batman: AA.

Papercuts said:
Is it wrong that Mario Kart is one of the most surprising parts of this to me? Holy shit. :lol

It's the legs.... tons of people buying Wiis, and when they buy a Wii many of them pick up Mario Kart along with it.

Cheech

Papercuts said:

No, it is just going out the door with all new Wiis. It's far better than Wii Play, so good for them!

LCfiner said:
360 outsells PS3. no one here expected that, right? right?

Right. I am still trying to figure it out, did MW2 really sell consoles for the 360? I know that bannings probably had something to do with the numbers but not that many. I was off by about 350,000. Thats a huge margin.

jman2050

Snipes424 said:
agreed, Uncharted 2 deserves MW2 numbers, but sadly people are too dumb to realize how fucking amazing that game is.

It is a good game, granted, but it was a better game when it was called "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time". That game didn't exactly sell gangbusters so I have no sympathy for UC2.

WarLox

jman2050 said:
Year of PS3 :lol

151xt.jpg

LCfiner said:
I have no idea :lol maybe someone else can go back and find LTD hdw numbers from nov 2007 and for this month and compare.
lol, yeah, that was quite a silly request in hindsight

edit: another junior bites the dust

jman2050

TheExecutive said:
Right. I am still trying to figure it out, did MW2 really sell consoles for the 360? I know that bannings probably had something to do with the numbers but not that many. I was off by about 350,000. Thats a huge margin.

God damnit people.

zero2000 said:
I expect a lot of those 360 sales are from people rebuying them because their other one got banned on the latest wave.

It's like a mass execution and we're the ones throwing vegetables :lol

Don't count NSMBWii out just yet, it's still selling like crazy while MW2 has slowed down a bit since launch. (Of course, 99% of all other games would die to sell as well as a slowing down MW2).

The only problem I see is stock levels coming into play. We can't keep the fucking game in stock and we only got 16 more copies in today. Meanwhile I have 155 MW2 on 360 ready to go for anyone that wants it. All 16 NSMB were gone in one hour!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.

An aside: those MW2... that has to be at least 25% of the overall 360 userbase, no?

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheExecutive said:

Goodbye
zero2000 said:
I expect a lot of those 360 sales are from people rebuying them because their other one got banned on the latest wave.

Au Revior

Technoob

Banned
zero2000 said:
ok that one had to be intentional

TheExecutive said:

account suicide?

lol read the thread people :D

Year to Date (YOY):

WII 5.78 (-27.9%)
360 3.46 ( +5.0%)
PS3 2.97 ( +5.5%)
NDS 7.88 (+14.0%)
PSP 1.84 (-34.5%)
PS2 1.47 (-29.9%)

(In millions.)
PS3 has only had 5% growth YoY? And the 360 has more or less kept pace and is probably back to gaining on PS3? What the fuck...

Rolf NB

LCfiner said:
another little tidbit that I find interesting.

360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 1.57 million
PS3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 444K

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 360 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 PS3 1.87M

360 sales for the franchise have increased by a factor of 2.67 times. OK. that’s big.

PS3 sales for the franchise have increased by a factor of 4.2 times. wow. big difference for the PS3.

Oh, and let’s not forget the 90 dollar and 150 dollar special editions of this thing. I’d love to know the average retail price of all the skus for MW2
MikeE21286 said:
What's % of userbase sell-through ?
Assuming the figures for CoD4 are also November (plz say so if they aren't):
CoD4:360 attach Nov '07: 19.9%
CoD4:pS3 attach Nov '07: 18.2%

CoD6:360 attach Nov '09: 24.2%
CoD6:pS3 attach Nov '09: 19.2%

Or if you prefer prose, both bases have shown growing affinity for the series, 360 owners significantly moreso than PS3 owners.
Keep in mind that sequels to successful games are typically more front-loaded than the games that (re)established the series. This makes the rising attach ratio not all that surprising. The absolute figures are really impressive though. CoD's just huge now.

I am surprised, I will be honest at these numbers. Especially considering the whole 360 vs Ps3.

I really thought Ps3 had it this month but apparently not.

I was expecting MW2 to sell 3 million on the Ps3 and at least 4 million on the 360, I fell flat on that one with the Ps3.

Oh well. Still good Ps3 numbers. Here comes December now.

And by the way, REGGIE IS FUCKED. :lol :lol :lol

Dash

Given how much better these sales are compared to the roughly equivalent 2007 line-up, and that the American economy was still booming in 2007, I think this year's sales data is a good sign for the economic recovery.

LCfiner

So… Any MW: Reflex numbers? I hope we hear about those.

If jvm can make a special request to NPD for his Gamasutra article, THOSE are the numbers I would want.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
GavinGT
Banned
(Today, 01:35 AM)
Reply | Quote

GEP
Banned
(Today, 01:38 AM)
Reply | Quote

TheExecutive
Banned
(Today, 01:46 AM)
Reply | Quote

zero2000
Banned
(Today, 01:47 AM)
Reply | Quote

wow knock down !!

Guys you should really read this thread through and check for ban warnings in future.

People, read the thread so you'll know not to regurgitate crap that we've already gone over. Even if you just skim, Dragona's warning is highlighted in bright red!

Edit: Man, they're dropping like flies.

bcn-ron said:

Or if you prefer prose, both bases have shown growing affinity for the series, 360 owners significantly moreso than PS3 owners.
Keep in mind that sequels to successful games are typically more front-loaded than the games that (re)established the series. This makes the rising attach ratio not all that surprising. The absolute figures are really impressive though. CoD's just huge now.

wow, thank you for that generous number-crunching.

Interesting indeed.

I was disappointed by the lack of gif's mainly because 360>PS3 ruined that party but Dragona really brought the joy back in the thread.

Now that the initial fun is over, I'm looking forward to seeing some more numbers. Top 20 and others would great.

How did Forza 3 do? Borderlands (360)?

LCfiner

bcn-ron said:

hey, thanks for that. I couldn’t be bothered to get the hdw numbers myself.

so, really, it just shows the increase in PS3 ownership and not, say, an increase in the percentage of PS3 owners who want to play MW. In the end, not an interesting stat.

But on the 360… that’s a significant percentage uptick.

Cheech

It's taken me awhile to digest the numbers, but Microsoft figured something out a year ago nobody else did: First party games do not mean jack shit at this point in the generation. My gut tells me MW2, and MW2 alone moved a huge amount of those 360s.

If a 360 slim comes out with Natal next year, you are talking about a combo that could ostensibly unseat the Wii over the holiday months (not LTD, obviously, just that season alone). Which doesn't sound that interesting, but it could speed up the launch of the PS4 and Wii HD.

sciplore

chubigans said:
Im kinda shocked at those Ride numbers. Thought for sure it would tank even harder than that.

I thought so too but during black friday a lot of people were picking it up since all the good games were gone so maybe that helped it.

Also this npd thread is the biggest trap I have seen :lol, kinda makes up for the lack of crazy gifs.

Top Bottom