• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

entremet

Good numbers all around. Bodes well especially in this economic climate.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
bcn-ron said:
Assuming the figures for CoD4 are also November (plz say so if they aren't):
CoD4:360 attach Nov '07: 19.9%

If CoD4 came out 2 months after Halo 3 and sold ~1.5m copies, does that mean Halo 3 had 40-50% attach in 2007?

Not really related to anything here, but thats quite impressive.

Reikon

I wonder how many of those 360 sales were from the Walmart $100 GC promo. I certainly didn't expect it to be that high. December will be interesting since there probably won't be another promo like it. There weren't any PS3 sales with a GC promo, were there? I only remember free game bundles.

AC2 sold a lot less than I expected. I guess everyone bought MW2 instead. :lol

Jtyettis said:
zoavxz.gif

Glorious, drinks on me, and that includes you Mr. Pachter.

You earned that Sayid gif this time, man.

Oh, wow.

Everything is back to "next gen" normal.

The greatest generation.

And now, to read all the reactions.

EDIT- Oh and a golf clap for the 360's trouncing of PS3.

jman2050

Cheech said:
It's taken me awhile to digest the numbers, but Microsoft figured something out a year ago nobody else did: First party games do not mean jack shit at this point in the generation. My gut tells me MW2, and MW2 alone moved a huge amount of those 360s.

Umm......

If a 360 slim comes out with Natal next year, you are talking about a combo that could ostensibly unseat the Wii over the holiday months (not LTD, obviously, just that season alone). Which doesn't sound that interesting, but it could speed up the launch of the PS4 and Wii HD.

I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Because Infinity Ward is is to games what Michael Bay is to movies.

Uh, Michael Bay movies are looked at by a lot of his haters as being mindless and hollow movies with no soul -- nothing but mindless action. And he's also criticized for not being able to even deliver mindless action well.

Infinity Ward's games have very well designed gameplay.

No, they're nothing alike. None of that dumb trolling shit, please.

AwRy108

Danthrax said:
The 360 outsold the PS3?! You've got to be shitting me.

[edit] Holy crapplesauce @ MW2!! 6 million! O_O

Remember, it was MW2 month: lots of people bought new consoles rather than wait for RRoD coffins.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DMeisterJ said:
List of Casualties so far:

shinshero
spidye
Tagg7
olimpia84
GEP
GavinGT
TheExecutive
zero2000

This thread... Epic.
Saying you're in an epic thread is bannable...

Wait, it's too late. NOOOOOOOOO!

Rolf NB

LCfiner said:
hey, thanks for that. I couldn’t be bothered to get the hdw numbers myself.

so, really, it just shows the increase in PS3 ownership and not, say, an increase in the percentage of PS3 owners who want to play MW. In the end, not an interesting stat.

But on the 360… that’s a significant percentage uptick.
Maybe it has something to do with what Halo 3 was in 2007 vs what Halo ODST is now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reikon said:
I wonder how many of those 360 sales were from the Walmart $100 GC promo. I certainly didn't expect it to be that high. December will be interesting since there probably won't be another promo like it. There weren't any PS3 sales with a GC promo, were there? I only remember free game bundles.

IIRC, I don't think Walmart numbers get counted in NPD.

Peff

chubigans said:
Eh, not surprising at all. Would love some more numbers though.

Oh, I was most certainly expecting it, but it doesn't make it any better :lol Forza 3 seems to be doing fine worldwide.

I'm kinda dishearten that the Modren Warfare series seems to be the premiere games series of this generation for core gamers (similar to how GTA was last generation). From what I've played of Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 they really don't seem like anything special...at all. I don't mean to be "that guy" but it just irritates me that a game achieved legendary status in popularity by not really doing anything new or different.

As for the Wii, well it's doing great, not as good as before, but it just goes to show that even the mass market has a ceiling of its own. As I said before it would be nice if Nintendo would try to target the market on the other side of the fence a little too.

It's amazing how long the Playstation 2 has lasted. I may get laughed at for this but it really makes me think that SONY could have made the system as a third pillar in their family or (now here's where I'm worried)
Push it as their main console for this generation.
Maybe I'm being naive here but it's shocked to see this system still have some life almost a full generation after it's successor hit.

The Playstation Portable hit a wall some time ago. Since then it's been steadily falling down. It seems to be stuck in the same rut the Gamecube was in last generation. It's target fanbase is interested in another (other) system(s) and due to it's look, nature, and library it's difficult for it to really appeal to a different demographic. After proving that it can no longer move software at a satisfactory pace for big publishers it's highly unlikely things will change.

Xbox 360 vs PS3. This isn't so much the fact that the 360 is gaining (it's actually down YoY) but more so the fact that the PS3 merely had a surge that is now fading away. Now let's wait to see if it will calm itself significantly higher than before or back to its previous state.

Nintendo DS...wow...

I'm shocked people are shocked. The best selling game EVER was marketed and bundled exclusively with the 360. It was widely seen as coupled with the 360. Meanwhile, the 360 is down YoY while the PS3 is up more than any other console. Sony has to be very pleased.

The much more worrying concern for Sony is why it's highly-rated exclusives don't sell well.

Cheech

Dash said:
Given how much better these sales are compared to the roughly equivalent 2007 line-up, and that the American economy was still booming in 2007, I think this year's sales data is a good sign for the economic recovery.

I agree. Even though we get caught up in the "console warz" aspect of NPDs, it is a great thing for every single gamer that comes here that the PS3 sold 710k units. Those people are gonna buy some games, obviously, but ALL of them are going to buy Blu Ray movies, which are still in the "gratuitous luxury item" category. The prices on the movies are dropping, true, but it's also a sign of an improving economy.

ZZMitch

Reikon said:

Walmart isn't part of the NPDs

ZeoVGM

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Reggie defenders silenced.

Not really. Most of the people who :lol :lol :lol :lol 'd at Reggie said it was through November only.

Reggie won't be long until we get January's NPD in February.

Animator

There are over 4 million people in the ps leaderboards for mw2 right now which means xbox at least has 7 mil. That game is a fucking monster.

Also I dont get how DS sells so much month after month. You would think everybody in the world who wants a DS already has one at this point. :lol

boiled goose

good with gravy
HOLY FUCKING SHIT MW2 360!!!! destroyed halo 3....

Good start NSMBwii...... :S people misreading Reggie's quote... One sku and through Jan NPD ppl.... he even said it would be close... -.-

Holy shit MK wii..... those sales are way too high for such an old game... it bet UC2 second month! after being out for so long and having already sold over 18m ww.... when the hell will it stop???

UC 2 uncharted.... :/

DS amazing.....

:lol :lol :lol at bannings and damage control...

omg rite said:
Uh, Michael Bay movies are looked at by a lot of his haters as being mindless and hollow movies with no soul -- nothing but mindless action. And he's also criticized for not being able to even deliver mindless action well.

Infinity Ward's games have very well designed gameplay.

No, they're nothing alike. None of that dumb trolling shit, please.

IW has been ripping off (literally taking scenes) movies since Call of Duty 1. MW2 is no exception and unfortunately, Michael Bay movies seem to be exactly what their reference is.

I also would (edit:) NOT put the two together as being equal in ways, but there is certainly a connection, imo.
(not to mention the sales show that it is what people want, apparently)

sphinx

the piano man
I am happy that the industry is declining YOY,

middle quality, halfassed, no-name games CAN NOT cost $59.99 dollars, period.

If all those games were propely priced, they would sell better, I know I'd buy many of them.

I had like 40 gamecube games last gen, I have 6 360 games and 3 wii games, why? because the industry has priced itself out of the market and I am not that desperate to play games.

Fuck the software prices of the PS360WII generation, they can go to hell.

Rolf NB

user_nat said:
If CoD4 came out 2 months after Halo 3 and sold ~1.5m copies, does that mean Halo 3 had 40-50% attach in 2007?
I don't know what Halo 3 sold in its opening month.
I believe posting data that's too exact is a no-no (and maybe bannable?), so I'll just say that the 360's NPD LTD I have for September '07 is somewhere between 6.5 and 7 million.

If Halo 3 opened in the 3M+ range in the US, then yes.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Who else here thinks the 360 sold so well because of the massive ... software library. :lol Seriously people, it pays to read these kinds of threads before posting because there's almost always something to lose.

omg rite said:
Not really. Most of the people who :lol :lol :lol :lol 'd at Reggie said it was through November only.

Reggie won't be long until we get January's NPD in February.
I think you missed the "NO IT WAS THE PS3 YOU IDIOTS" responders, which was most of them.

Reggie defenders destroyed confirmed.:D

Paznos

Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm kinda dishearten that the Modren Warfare series seems to be the premiere games series of this generation for core gamers (similar to how GTA was last generation). From what I've played of Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 they really don't seem like anything special...at all. I don't mean to be "that guy" but it just irritates me that a game achieved legendary status in popularity by not really doing anything new or different.

As for the Wii, well it's doing great, not as good as before, but it just goes to show that even the mass market has a ceiling of its own. As I said before it would be nice if Nintendo would try to target the market on the other side of the fence a little too.

It's amazing how long the Playstation 2 has lasted. I may get laughed at for this but it really makes me think that SONY could have made the system as a third pillar in their family or (now here's where I'm worried)
Push it as their main console for this generation.
Maybe I'm being naive here but it's shocked to see this system still have some life almost a full generation after it's successor hit.

The Playstation Portable hit a wall some time ago. Since then it's been steadily falling down. It seems to be stuck in the same rut the Gamecube was in last generation. It's target fanbase is interested in another (other) system(s) and due to it's look, nature, and library it's difficult for it to really appeal to a different demographic. After proving that it can no longer move software at a satisfactory pace for big publishers it's highly unlikely things will change.

Xbox 360 vs PS3. This isn't so much the fact that the 360 is gaining (it's actually down YoY) but more so the fact that the PS3 merely had a surge that is now fading away. Now let's wait to see if it will calm itself significantly higher than before or back to its previous state.

Nintendo DS...wow...
I completely agree with you this game gets all the sales while other games that deserve better sales than they are getting are getting ignored by so many it's crazy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
IW has been ripping off (literally taking scenes) movies since Call of Duty 1. MW2 is no exception and unfortunately, Michael Bay movies seem to be exactly what their reference is.

I also would put the two together as being equal in ways, but there is certainly a connection, imo.
(not to mention the sales show that it is what people want, apparently)

LCfiner said:
hey, thanks for that. I couldn’t be bothered to get the hdw numbers myself.

so, really, it just shows the increase in PS3 ownership and not, say, an increase in the percentage of PS3 owners who want to play MW. In the end, not an interesting stat.

But on the 360… that’s a significant percentage uptick.

Could point to MW2 360 version actually pushing hardware sales.

BobLoblaw said:
Who else here thinks the 360 sold so well because of the massive ... software library. :lol Seriously people, it pays to read these kinds of threads before posting because there's almost always something to lose.

Alternatively, you might as well say that Natal has gotten people interested in the Xbox360 system again and might account for sales.

The easiest answer is still MW2.

Amir0x

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:

It's more disheartening that shit like Wii Play and Wii Sports are some of the highest selling franchises of all time, let alone this gen.

At least Modern Warfare has good gameplay if you're into that genre and shit

That said, it did make me highly uncomfortable to shoot civilians during that one level

Top Bottom