• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Taurus

CadetMahoney said:
+ throw them to the Lions I say, Lions!

892cap012.jpg
I'm sorry but I was searching for a picture of lions when I found this: http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/lions-mauling-a-zebra_are_you_next.jpg

are_you_next
.jpg? :lol :lol

Enough of offtopic. Have we had any comments of the PSP so far from Sony? Those numbers are abysmal considering they just released a new hw version which was supposed to bring new life into the sales. DS sells fucking 1,7m, PSP does less than 300k...

Koodo

Banned
Taurus said:
This NPD's casualties so far are as follows:

shinshero
vicissitudes
spidye
Tagg7
olimpia84
GavinGT
GEP
TheExecutive
zero2000
AwRy108
AnEternalEnigma
knitoe
Tormentoso
permutated

Let us take a moment of silence for these brave warriors.
I think that last person got banned for this.

Oh, and my first post in the thread. I was going to feel proud for being one of the few who predicted X360 > PS3, but oh my... did I grossly underestimate both. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Prine said:
Sony ran out throwing numbers, looked at Microsoft and smiled. What did MS do? They simply smiled back.

So much class in this ownage you got to admit.

Eidt: And im looking forward to Reggie eating crow. Come on PS3 MW2!!

MS probably actually didn't have many cards to work with for BF. It very likely was down YoY and thus lower than the number Sony was throwing out.

Subtlety isn't MS's strongest trait when it comes to PR (well..it's no one's strongest trait, that's not the point of PR :p). If they could have shouted more about BF they would have.

Prine

Banned
gofreak said:
MS probably actually didn't have many cards to work with for BF. It very likely was down YoY and thus lower than the number Sony was throwing out.

Subtlety isn't MS's strongest trait when it comes to PR (well..it's no one's strongest trait, that's not the point of PR :p). If they could have shouted more about BF they would have.

Yeah, i was making it more than it is. Just playing along with forum theatrics. PS3 done well though, no one can deny that.

Aspiring

Amazing numbers for MW2. I must say though even though i expected the PS3 to outsell the 360 its even ground now. The PS3 will NEVER pass the 360 in the US. Its as simple as that. In fact i think from here on out it will be fairly even. At the start of the month, the 360 had those sales on, and at the end with BF the PS3 had good deals on. And they were neck and neck. I think from here on out, it will come down to value for the customer. Some months be be PS3's others 360.

Out of curiosity, does anybody have weekly sales for Europe?

SmokyDave

Taurus said:

shinshero
vicissitudes
spidye
Tagg7
olimpia84
GavinGT
GEP
TheExecutive
zero2000
AwRy108
AnEternalEnigma
knitoe
Tormentoso
permutated

Also known as "The List Of Users Whose Parents Would Only Buy Them One Console".

eastside49er said:
Well the PS3 isn't overtaking the 360 in sales next year, LOL! :lol Whoever thought that is ignorant. It would have to gain over 7 million and that isn't happening in a years time. Not to mention Halo: Reach, Mass Effect 2, etc are coming out for the 360 next year and I'm sure you will see another price drop for the 360. I figure by the end of next year the 360 will most likely be nearing 50 million in sales total. In 2011 MS will probably announce a new system and that is when you will start seeing a decline in 360 sales finally.

The PS3 may have a chance by then, if Sony doesn't discontinue it first considering they keep losing money on that division and I'm not just talking a few million here or there. They have lost 4.7 billion on the PS division since the PS3 launched and another 600+ million just last quarter. They can't keep taking losses like that.

Well, I don't think PS3 will overtake the 360, atleast not in North America, looks like its too late. Even at this price point, all those heavy PS3 commercials going around, with couple of big blockbusters, 360 still beat the PS3, I am surprised.

As you have mentioned, the 360 might get another price drop next year, but not if it is doing fine as the way it is now. Not sure about Sony dropping the price of the PS3, considering that they are still taking losses.

Sony is probably in a hard position right now to decide about their next console, provided if they are actually going for it which I think they will, might be the PS4 or whatever they call it. They definitely want to keep the PS3 selling but the sales will drop once they announce a new console which they don't want to happen, at the same time they probably want to release their console along side Microsoft, so that they don't repeat the same mistake that happened the last time, release the console a year late to the 360, which put them in the spot they are right now. Looks like there are some hard decisions to take and we will just have to wait and see:D

Nonetheless, great numbers by every console, especially the PS3, I think its the best it did so far. Who didn't expect those MW2 numbers anyway? I was hoping for more Assassins Creed love, but did good still. The PSP would have probably sold more at a better price point, Sony fucked themselves up on this one.

And damn at 360 beating the PS3 to numbers, damn!!!

Sipowicz

Banned
I think it's very interesting that the 360 outsold the PS3 this month

in my opinion the PS3 has had a stronger lineup than the 360 in 2009, something which i dont feel is true in 2010. the fact that it coulkd still only outsell the 360 for a month or so is pretty crazy, especially coming after a price cut and redesign

i cant really see any new reasons for the 360 pulling ahead suddenly. people just seem to want the it more in america

Barrett2

Koodo said:
I think that last person got banned for this.

Oh, and my first post in the thread. I was going to feel proud for being one of the few who predicted X360 > PS3, but oh my... did I grossly underestimate both. :lol

Permutated was an idiot, so no loss. He was the guy who was basically trying to quasi-scam everyone in the buy/sell thread, so who cares..

OldJadedGamer said:
Sony paid for exclusive advertising with Assassin's Creed II and it sold nearly double on the 360. The Ass Creed commercials even ended with the "It does everything" and "$299" tags.

no harm in trying tho heh.

_Isaac: said:
I don't understand why everybody expected the PS3 to sell better than the Xbox 360. Was there a cool new game coming out?
vicissitudes said:
PS3 had a price drop + redesign, huge marketing, beat the 360 in September and October, had a big exclusive in Uncharted 2, very likely outsold the 360 during Black Friday, and Patcher + EEDAR both predicted the PS3 would sell more.

Also no one expected the 360 to sell 810k considering November usually doubles from October and the 360 sold 250k last month.

MS had slightly better marketing apparently. heh

SmokyDave

NemesisPrime said:
As opposed to the list of people known as "We have money and we like to say so".
You won't find such a list. It'd probably be full of the more positive, sensible contributors to this topic. Anyone that can get themselves banned over one electronic box selling more than another is obviously not in a position to just buy both boxes and enjoy the games. I get it though, it'd break my heart to choose between Trials HD and Wipeout HD.

TheOddOne

Prine said:
Sony ran out throwing numbers, looked at Microsoft and smiled. What did MS do? They simply smiled back.

So much class in this ownage you got to admit.

Eidt: And im looking forward to Reggie eating crow. Come on PS3 MW2!!
Dunno, I think MS expected PS3 to beat them because of the price cut.

Didn't Aaron Greenberg say that every price cut means more sales?

I think it suprised everybody.... even ms.

tass0

Banned
It's pretty simple to realize why the 360 sold so well this month.

2 words. Modern Warfare.

It was marketed for Xbox 360 only, no mention that PS3 or PC version even existed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The big story I think is MW2's astronomical numbers, honestly if anyone saw the relative sales beforehand I highly doubt that people would have given the prospect of PS3 outselling 360 any credence whatsoever.

After all, if you can shift >4m units of a title on your platform, having a poor month for hardware sales would be bizarre, to say the least! If you don't get at least *some* uplift based on shifting that kind of volume...

Objectively, with an elephant like MW2 in the room, you cannot treat this month's NPD's like a normal months. So I wouldn't rush to making too many conclusions about what this means going forward in terms of the overall "console war".

Clearly MS are still doing well. But then again, Nintendo are still more than comfortably ahead of everyone. Sony have made massive gains YoY on PS3, PS2 is holding steady, and PSP is stumbling along in a daze.

Seems like good news all round to me. Roll on December's NPDs. :D

tass0 said:
It's pretty simple to realize why the 360 sold so well this month.

2 words. Modern Warfare.

It was marketed for Xbox 360 only, no mention that PS3 or PC version even existed.

id call that a pretty good marketing move on their part then.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Amazing opening for World at War 2. USA likes shooters! And the Nintendo DS continues to sell at an incredible rate. It will be hard to replicate both success.

By the way, 3 or 4 years into a generation, hardcore gamers already bought their console. Now those that do not play that regularly (not really casuals, but lapsed gamers and "friends of hardcores") are buying them. And when you buy a console, you choose based on what your friends have. You don't buy a PS3 if your friends are playing through Xbox Live, you don't buy a Xbox 360 if they are playing through PSN. I believe it is clear that these players find a better value in the Xbox 360 than in the PS3, maybe not because of the hardware or capabilities, but just because their friends use them.

In USA and Japan there will be no turnaround point. Europe is open still. And this implies neither will reach the Wii worldwide.

Dragon Age numbers are pretty low considering it had an entire month to accumulate those figures. I expect it to drop significantly next month considering it disappeared from the PAL charts rather quickly.

Sipowicz said:
in my opinion the PS3 has had a stronger lineup than the 360 in 2009
PS3 didn't just have a "stronger lineup", it had more features, a better value, better deals, better reliability, terrific advertising, AND lets you play the exact same omega-blockbuster MW2 without charging you a yearly fee.

But the 360 also had Modern Warfare 2, so none of that matters and it wins. No it doesn't even win, it comes in second. This is the most fucked up generation ever.

Sony *really* misjudged the value of having a well rounded stable of high quality titles that served them so well previous gens.

Son of Godzilla said:
PS3 didn't just have a "stronger lineup", it had more features, a better value, better deals, better reliability, terrific advertising, AND lets you play the exact same omega-blockbuster MW2 without charging you a yearly fee.

But the 360 also had Modern Warfare 2, so none of that matters and it wins. No it doesn't even win, it comes in second. This is the most fucked up generation ever.

Sony *really* misjudged the value of having a well rounded stable of high quality titles that served them so well previous gens.

Errr??? I think a lot of people buying 360s think that online is better on 360 and multiplatform games tend to be better as well. The online community on 360 has been the driving force for sales for 360. People know people who own one and want one as well to "play online".

That Bluray drive and build in WiFi really doesn't mean much for most people.

Frillen

jon_irenicus said:
Dragon Age numbers are pretty low considering it had an entire month to accumulate those figures. I expect it to drop significantly next month considering it disappeared from the PAL charts rather quickly.

I think we should be glad the game even cracked the top 10.

Balb

Wow the PSP hardware sales have been horrendous lately. I definitely think a new PSP hardware-related announcement will come next year, probably in the form of a successor.

tass0

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

Eh? It -did- have a stronger line-up.

Didn't Xbox 360 only have like ODST, Forza 3 and Ballad of Gay Tony? I really can't think of anything else.

Sipowicz

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

i thiink a lot of it has to do with perception. 360 is seen as THE shooter console, no doubt due to live and the superior analogues. 360 is going to dominate hard next year. it's got a killer lineup and a proper new halo too

+ it ahs a cheap version, which is arguably better value than the ps3 if all you want to play is games

PS3 had some killer exclusives this year but there weren't any "big names". it's high rated exclusives uncharted, demon souls, ratchet, killzone and infamous are all still pretty niche

+wifi is awful for games. I had my PS3/PC on it for a while and it's just not reliable, IMO. I run everything wired now. I don't think the wifi thing is the biggest selling point for people.

I think it's just the association of Xbox with Call of Duty that started in 2005 with CoD2 that's kept that as an "xbox" franchise. More people's friends play it on xbox so they get the xbox version, that's probably a good part of how they sold double the PS3 version and kept their hardware sales afloat.

I wish MS would come out and say how the arcades sell. The MW2 elite was a good deal too, though.

tass0 said:
Eh? It -did- have a stronger line-up.

Didn't Xbox 360 only have like ODST, Forza 3 and Ballad of Gay Tony? I really can't think of anything else.
Did it? They both had Modern Warfare 2 so as far as I can tell the lineups are about the same.

Yes, that was a joke. Kinda. Anyways, I wasn't trying to say it didn't have a stronger line-up. I was saying it had so much more than just a stronger line-up, and none of it mattered. Well, that's doomsaying, of course it mattered it sold great, just the 360 got by and more on what, peer pressure?

That Bluray drive and build in WiFi really doesn't mean much for most people.
I kinda don't believe that. Bluray and free online are terrific selling points, I'd wager the percentage of PS3 owners not influenced by either is incredibly... slim.

The fact that 360 outsell PS3 did surprise me, Sony did a great effort pushing the redesign, I wonder if modern warfare 2 bundle could be one of the reasons, who thought it could be a system seller :lol

But the thing that really wonders me, is the fact DS still pulls those fucking high numbers year after year. What a fucking beast.

acm2000

Son of Godzilla said:

for you maybe, for the average gamer? no, ps3 maybe wins on lineup, but 360 matches or betters most the other stuff, and xbox live still destroys psn, i have both consoles, yet i play xbox all the time, ps3 for movies

syllogism

kitzkozan said:
As for Dragon age,I knew it didn't sell like crazy because EA didn't issue any statement.It probably sold around 500 000 copies on 360/PS3.Worldwide,it's surely over 1 million now.EA estimated that it could sold 2.8 million copies,but I think it will end up slightly below that.

Mass effect 2 however,should outsell the first one and become the best selling Bioware game yet.I think 3+ million is certainly a possibility.
e: I misread. Regardless, it sold more than Mass Effect albeit on two (since we don't have any PC numbers) platforms

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I will be picking up dragon age when it comes down in price 'hate getting games are being played by a few friends i wait till no one else is playing it then pounce

bill0527

I also thought PS3 would win handily. It seemed to be sold out everywhere around me the day after black Friday, and there were plenty of 360 systems everywhere. My local Wal-Mart hasn't been able to keep any PS3 systems in stock. I go in there once a week and the PS3 section is always empty and the 360 section is always full.

I know its been laughed at ad naseum, but I wonder just how much the mass bannings on Xbox Live on the eve of the MW2 launch helped to contribute to that number. There's a happy medium there somewhere. 360 fanboys seem to think that not one single person who got banned from Live ran out to buy a new 360, and PS3 fanboys seem to think that half that NPD number must be from people were banned from Live. My gut tells me that this was carefully orchestrated by Microsoft and they got the double bonus for their timing - right smack into the holiday season and right when the biggest game of the year was about to launch.

Its very surprising to me when you also consider that the 360 had some of the shittiest bundles I've ever seen and the PS3 had some of the best.

I also wish we knew how much the MW2 bundle sold compared to the other SKUs. My launch unit red-ringed for the 3rd time last month and I replaced it with a MW2 bundle.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
bill0527 said:
I also thought PS3 would win handily. It seemed to be sold out everywhere around me the day after black Friday, and there were plenty of 360 systems everywhere. My local Wal-Mart hasn't been able to keep any PS3 systems in stock. I go in there once a week and the PS3 section is always empty and the 360 section is always full.

I know its been laughed at ad naseum, but I wonder just how much the mass bannings on Xbox Live on the eve of the MW2 launch helped to contribute to that number. There's a happy medium there somewhere. 360 fanboys seem to think that not one single person who got banned from Live ran out to buy a new 360, and PS3 fanboys seem to think that half that NPD number must be from people were banned from Live. My gut tells me that this was carefully orchestrated by Microsoft and they got the double bonus for their timing - right smack into the holiday season and right when the biggest game of the year was about to launch.

Its very surprising to me when you also consider that the 360 had some of the shittiest bundles I've ever seen and the PS3 had some of the best.

I also wish we knew how much the MW2 bundle sold compared to the other SKUs. My launch unit red-ringed for the 3rd time last month and I replaced it with a MW2 bundle.

You didn't skim through this thread at all did you?

bill0527 said:

Uh-oh

operon

Taurus said:

shinshero
vicissitudes
spidye
Tagg7
olimpia84
GavinGT
GEP
TheExecutive
zero2000
AwRy108
AnEternalEnigma
knitoe
Tormentoso
permutated

“They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.”
– Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

Top Bottom