• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

Paracelsus

tass0 said:
Eh? It -did- have a stronger line-up.

Didn't Xbox 360 only have like ODST, Forza 3 and Ballad of Gay Tony? I really can't think of anything else.

Forza, L4D2, ODST and BoGT vs Uncharted 2 and Ratchet. As much as I loved Uncharted 2, not a great showing from either part this winter. Next Spring is the major showdown.

My friends got banned from live for having a modded 360, right now they just cant play on live, they havent run out and bought a new one. yet, they probably will eventually. I just dont think the impact of people running out and buying a new 360 was that big. People are probably feeling just a bit pissed after a ban to. What about all the other holidays where 360 registered high numbers and there werent any bans?

The only true king is the DS.
It rolls over everything in it's sight.
1.7 millions is completely insane

well deserved though. best console ever

orion434

PlayStation 2 203.1K
PlayStation 3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
Xbox 360 819.5K
Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M

My Predictions

[360] 600K - 219.5K
[NDS] 1,750K - 40K
[PS2] 225K - 21.9K
[PS3] 700K - 10.4K
[PSP] 400K - 102.1K
[WII] 1,000K - 260K

off by 653.9K... I was debating on putting Wii at 1.25 million. oh well. I was totally off with X360... I had both PS3 & X360 @ 700K before that, just to be safe.

noobie

Banned
so we have not got any leaked numbers for software outside top 10.?
n do NPD release top 10 for each platform.? will like to see how Demon Soul did in its second month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
Does anyone know the LTD figures for Modern Warfare on the 360? Has MW2's sales already beaten that or is it reasonable to expect a massive drop-off in December?

I did post this earlier in the thread but I don't know why anyone bothers to post anything insightful in NPD threads since it's drowned out by garbage. MW1's LTD should be somewhere from 4.9-5.2 million on the 360 and somewhere from 2-2.2 million on the PS3 depending on extended legs. It's possible either falls slightly outside this range if seriously weird stuff happened in the last few months, but unless someone with full NPD figures posts the exact numbers, these are acceptable ranges.

MW2 has not beaten the LTDs of either version but it will next month. MW1 grew from month one to month two--that's not going to happen here, but I think the 360 version will do a minimum of 750k and the PS3 version a minimum of 350k or so.

(GTA should be 2.1-2.4 million on PS3, Halo 6.1-6.5 million on 360--those are the only titles that outsold MW1 on the respective platforms, so MW2 is within 1-2 months of becoming the highest LTD software on both platforms)

If you had to ask me to make a guess that narrowed those four ranges, I'd say Halo at ~6.3 million, GTA PS3 at ~2.25 million, MW1 PS3 at ~2.1 million, and MW1 at ~5.1 million on 360. Of course, I have no special numbers and so others might have slightly different projections to how these titles have played out in the off-chart months.

I posted this last night, but the thread was moving too fast and it got swallowed pretty quickly. So here it is again for those that might be interested.

............................................................................................

I hadn't updated these figures for a while... but I thought with the general interest around the insane MW2 sales it was probably worth doing.

So here they are, all of the PS3 and 360 games (sorry, never got around to doing the Wii data) which have sold over 500k in their first month on sale. I have more data than this, but it just becomes a wall of text if I include any more than the top games. If any of these titles were on sale for less then 7 days in their first NPD period, I have included the second period's figures (where available). These titles are marked with stars.

Days are the number of days the game was on sale for during the reporting period(s). The install base for each console is listed based on the number of consoles sold as the start of the month when each game went on sale.

Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	360 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		4200k	 19	16.49m		25.5%
Halo 3			3300k	 12	6.19m		53.3%
GTA IV			2721k	 33	10.05m		27.1% ***
CoD 4			1570k	 26	7.09m		22.1%
Gears of War 2		1560k	 23	11.58m		13.5%
Halo 3: ODST		1520k	 12	15.89m		9.6%
CoD WaW			1410k	 19	11.58m		12.2%
Gears of War		1000k	 17	2.89m		34.6%
Madden NFL 09		1000k	 19	10.66m		9.4%
Assassin's Creed	980k	 18	7.09m		13.8%
Resident Evil 5		938k	 23	14.55m		6.4%
Madden NFL 10		928k	 16	15.68m		5.9%
Madden NFL 08		897k	 19	5.92m		15.2%
Assassin's Creed 2	795k	 12	16.49m		4.8%
Fable II		790k	 12	11.21m		7.0%
Rainbow Six Vegas 2	752k	 19	9.6m		7.8%
Left 4 Dead 2		744k	 12	16.49m		4.5%
UFC 2009 Undisputed	680k	 12	15.06m		4.5%
Halo Wars		639k	 33	14.55m		4.4%
Star Wars TFU		610k	 19	10.86m		5.6%
Army of Two		606k	 33	9.6m		6.3%
Batman: AA		512k	 40	15.68m		3.3% ***
Code:
[b]    			Sales	Days	PS3 Base	Attach Rate[/b]
CoD: MW 2		1870k	 19	9.02m		20.7%
GTA IV			1443k	 33	4.21m		34.3% ***
MGS4			775k	 24	4.42m		17.5%
Madden NFL 10		665k	 16	8m		8.3%
Madden NFL 09		643k	 19	5.05m		12.7%
Killzone 2		619k	 37	7.24m		8.5% ***
CoD WaW			597k	 19	5.65m		10.6%
Resident Evil 5		585k	 23	7.24m		8.1%
Uncharted 2		537k	 19	8.7m		6.2%
inFamous		527k	 40	7.58m		7.0% ***
Batman: AA		506k	 40	8m		6.3% ***

markatisu

noobie said:
so we have not got any leaked numbers for software outside top 10.?
n do NPD release top 10 for each platform.? will like to see how Demon Soul did in its second month.

Not anything concrete.

Top 10 may or may not come in a few days, its not guaranteed. Even if we get the Top 10 for each platform you rarely will know the # attached, just a ranking

LCfiner

I had asked for MW:Reflex numbers yesterday and saw that Anihawk came through with something. a bit less than 90K.

honestly, I was expecting worse. I don't know what Activision's expectations were but considering it's a port of a 2 year old game, that's not horrible.

Dunlop

bill0527 said:
I know its been laughed at ad naseum, but I wonder just how much the mass bannings on Xbox Live on the eve of the MW2 launch helped to contribute to that number.

pssst, even though it obviously was a factor in moving some 360's you are not allowed to talk about it.

I still have to feed the machine that is MW2, gonna pick it up tonight and now have to decide whether to keep live or to attempt to play on my PS3 with Wifi

Seeing that chart really helps put things in perspective.

Pretty much seals my prediction of a 4.5 million or more for Halo: Reach come next November.

FrankT

syllogism said:
e: I misread. Regardless, it sold more than Mass Effect albeit on two (since we don't have any PC numbers) platforms

Do we really know that? I'm not even sure we got the PS3 figure yet and ME did 472k on the 360 alone first month with a pretty respectable second month. I'm not even sure DA can hold that. Not to mention it came out towards the latter part of the month versus the start for DA. I expect ME2 a now established IP among 360 owners to be very big indeed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Opus Angelorum said:
Well the Slim honeymoon is all but over

These numbers are commensurate with the post-slim numbers. It's over 2x the Oct numbers which is typical for Oct->Nov. So I'd say that the bump has been....sustained :p

It's amazing how rank rather than the numbers themselves colour so many viewpoints, and make viewpoints very binary. By the talk of some people you'd think their effort with the slim etc. was all for nought, but it's clearly continues to put them in a much better situation regardless of whether 360 outsold them by a small bit or not.

gkryhewy

gofreak said:
These numbers are commensurate with the post-slim numbers. It's over 2x the Oct numbers which is typical for Oct->Nov. So I'd say that the bump has been....sustained :p

Absolutely, and you're nothing if not consistent! Actually, the real story is 360 more than tripling October sales, and Wii more than doubling.

Wii is almost certain to be up YOY for December.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
Do we really know that? I'm not even sure we got the PS3 figure yet and ME did 472k on the 360 alone first month with a pretty respectable second month. I'm not even sure DA can hold that. Not to mention it came out towards the latter part of the month versus the start for DA. I expect ME2 a now established IP among 360 owners to be very big indeed.

I think we can safely say that the 360:pS3 ratio was somewhere between 1.5:1 and 3:1 (no exclusive content either way, PS3 version performs as well or better, and it's not an FPS or Fighting game so it wouldn't tilt definitively outside the normal range towards either console. It's also not a sequel to an IP so there's no built-in base.) In specific with this game I'd guess around 2:1.

So with 362k on 360, I'd guess around 180k on PS3. Total: 540k. I think it's fair to say DA outsold ME.

Sydle

Son of Godzilla said:
PS3 didn't just have a "stronger lineup", it had more features, a better value, better deals, better reliability, terrific advertising, AND lets you play the exact same omega-blockbuster MW2 without charging you a yearly fee.

But the 360 also had Modern Warfare 2, so none of that matters and it wins. No it doesn't even win, it comes in second. This is the most fucked up generation ever.

Sony *really* misjudged the value of having a well rounded stable of high quality titles that served them so well previous gens.

360 had built mindshare while Sony was still getting their act together.

Microsoft was smart in prioritizing their efforts and getting out first. They were able to swoon developers to get breadth and depth of software, solidify a tightly integrated online component (it's the console all your friends are playing...well, maybe not yours, but you get what I'm say), and assure they would be competitively priced for the entire generation.

Everything has been in Microsoft's favor since the start of the generation, and all they needed was for Sony to fuck up. Sony can chip away at it, but it's not going to be enough to be the PS2 of this generation.

gofreak said:

It's amazing how rank rather than the numbers themselves colour so many viewpoints, and make viewpoints very binary. By the talk of some people you'd think their effort with the slim etc. was all for nought, but it's clearly continues to put them in a much better situation regardless of whether 360 outsold them by a small bit or not.

Gofreak, the people you're arguing with don't care about relative position. It's either PS3 > 360, or 360 > PS3.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
I think we can safely say that the 360:pS3 ratio was somewhere between 1.5:1 and 3:1 (no exclusive content either way, PS3 version performs as well or better, and it's not an FPS or Fighting game so it wouldn't tilt definitively outside the normal range towards either console. It's also not a sequel to an IP so there's no built-in base.) In specific with this game I'd guess around 2:1.

So with 362k on 360, I'd guess around 180k on PS3. Total: 540k. I think it's fair to say DA outsold ME.

Yea except that is numbers speculation, which again I don't think it really will with this months combined or versus time out 2 weeks versus four, but I will wait for the numbers.

gofreak said:

I think the real issue here is the fact that it did 440k during BF week and only 90k per week before that (I Suspected such after seeing the BF numbers). Heavily, heavily lopsided and many here have commented on such. I'm not sure how well that will bode for Sony during December either.

With those Left 4 Dead 2 sales, can people finally STFU with "Game X is on PC as well, it doesn't count as a big exclusive hurrr."

Not gonna go quote digging, but I was called crazy for saying MW2 would be the best launch ever for both HD consoles, and that it would do over 1.5mil on PS3. But the 360 numbers are more than 50% bigger than my prediction, just insane numbers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I really don't get everyone saying the honeymoon is over for slim..... so it didn't beat 360 this month. it was holiday and more 360 units were going to sell. not to mention sales were within ~100K with 360 compared to laster year when they weren't even 50% of 360... granted everyone expecting PS3 to top 360 I can understand some disappointment, but to actually say sales are disappointing is kind of silly.

for reference:

Playstation 3 378k
Xbox 360 836k

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

so 360 actually went down YoY, while PS3 almost DOUBLED YoY. That alone tells me that the "honeymoon" is far from over.

Who else read the thread until Dragona gave the warning, and then just skimmed the rest of the pages until it was posted at the top of every page to see who was banned?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
Yea except that is numbers speculation,

Don't be dumb. You'd have to be a pretty big doofus to assume that the 360 version did 360k and the PS3 version didn't do at least 100k. Clearly the PS3 version did less than 300k. Take any number inside that range and you're going to get Dragon Age coming out on top of Mass Effect.

which again I don't think it really will with this months combined or versus time out 2 weeks versus four, but I will wait for the numbers.

... "it only had 3 days" "it only had 7 days" "4 weeks versus 2 weeks"; this entire category of arguments is dumb and you know it is because people pull it every month when their favourite software doesn't chart as high as they want it to.

I have no idea if DA:O will outsell ME1 over lifetime sales or if ME2 will improve on ME1 or not. But DA:O has outsold ME1 month one.

FrankT

Sho_Nuff82 said:
With those Left 4 Dead 2 sales, can people finally STFU with "Game X is on PC as well, it doesn't count as a big exclusive hurrr."

Not gonna go quote digging, but I was called crazy for saying MW2 would be the best launch ever for both HD consoles, and that it would do over 1.5mil on PS3. But the 360 numbers are more than 50% bigger than my prediction, just insane numbers.

They have being arguing this forever and I keep telling people it matters when these companies essentially market the games like a true blue 360 exclusive. Almost everyone of the 360/PC exclusives MS has had has been nothing but a boon for the console.

Stumpokapow said:
Don't be dumb. You'd have to be a pretty big doofus to assume that the 360 version did 360k and the PS3 version didn't do at least 100k. Clearly the PS3 version did less than 300k. Take any number inside that range and you're going to get Dragon Age coming out on top of Mass Effect.

... "it only had 3 days" "it only had 7 days" "4 weeks versus 2 weeks"; this entire category of arguments is dumb and you know it is because people pull it every month when their favourite software doesn't chart as high as they want it to.

I have no idea if DA:O will outsell ME1 over lifetime sales or if ME2 will improve on ME1 or not. But DA:O has outsold ME1 month one.

No I don't think so as it is important in this case because DA looks heavily front-loaded and guarantee it will not show up in Dec NPD unlike ME.

Oh yea and your argument is filled with holes considering Borderlands numbers from last month;

Borderlands (360) / Take-Two / 418K
Borderlands (PS3) / Take-Two / 113K

At that kind of rate it would surely be under 100k.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gkrykewy said:
Absolutely, and you're nothing if not consistent! Actually, the real story is 360 more than tripling October sales, and Wii more than doubling.

Wii is almost certain to be up YOY for December.

PS3 was more than double Oct too.

I think 360 being 3x Oct is more to do with 360's low Oct than the strength of Nov though.

Dec will be interesting for Wii. It didn't follow the more typical Nov->Dec transition last year since Nov was so high in and of itself. It should have a more typical transition this year, which could indeed still put it in range to beat last Dec.

Jtyettis said:
I think the real issue here is the fact that it did 440k during BF week and only 90k per week before that (I Suspected such after seeing the BF numbers). Heavily, heavily lopsided and many here have commented on such. I'm not sure how well that will bode for Sony during December either.

Well, there's a potential big elephant in the room, and that's how well Sony's 'top retailers' numbers for BF correlates with NPD's...

Dec will indeed be interesting, that's for sure.

borghe said:
so 360 actually went down YoY, while PS3 almost DOUBLED YoY. That alone tells me that the "honeymoon" is far from over.

The 360 went down so little that I would think saying it "remained flat YoY" is more accurate, just as if it was 20-30k higher I would think it rather daft to make any claims about it being up YoY as the actual figures involved are minimal. That doesn't take away from the massive improvement for the PS3, mind you...

LCfiner

borghe said:
I really don't get everyone saying the honeymoon is over for slim..... so it didn't beat 360 this month. it was holiday and more 360 units were going to sell. not to mention sales were within ~100K with 360 compared to laster year when they weren't even 50% of 360... granted everyone expecting PS3 to top 360 I can understand some disappointment, but to actually say sales are disappointing is kind of silly.

for reference:

Playstation 3 378k
Xbox 360 836k

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

Saying the ps3 sold double last year is damning with faint praise, as far as I'm concerned. It sold awful last year because of the price. This year it's at 300 so, no surprise, it's up there with the 360.

If the ps3 didn't double last years numbers for the holiday after the changes Sony has made, it would be close to a disaster, really.

gkryhewy

gofreak said:
Dec will be interesting for Wii. It didn't follow the more typical Nov->Dec transition last year since Nov was so high in and of itself. It should have a more typical transition this year, which could indeed still put it in range to beat last Dec.

And it was supply-constrained last December, which is why its January numbers were also through the roof. February is where it really started to fall off, and so I would anticipate YOY increases for Wii in December, and again beginning in February/March.

gofreak said:
Well, there's a potential big elephant in the room, and that's how well Sony's 'top retailers' numbers for BF correlates with NPD's...

Oh god, no. Don't go Gahiggidy on us.

Ulairi

Banned
C4Lukins said:
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you are ignoring most of my points. Bloomberg is interested in the world of finance, not just simply the news. When they are talking about the gaming industry, they are not talking about it in the same way that Gamespot, IGN, or even the New York Times is talking about it. Certainly not in the way we talk about it here at GAF. Once again, year over year growth, and if or if not such and such company is going to grow in revenue and profitability over the previous year. Whether or not that is how the market should work is another debate, but that is how it does work and that is one thing I am not wrong about.

Again, you're wrong. Bloomberg is a news organization. Do you understand the world of finance? No you fucking don't or you wouldn't have said what you have been talking about.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LCfiner said:
Saying the ps3 sold double last year is damning with faint praise, as far as I'm concerned. It sold awful last year because of the price. This year it's at 300 so, no surprise, it's up there with the 360.

If the ps3 didn't double last years numbers for the holiday after the changes Sony has made, it would be close to a disaster, really.

It would have been disasterous.

Prior to slim's announcement and the pricecut the holiday was looking like another very difficult one, sales-wise.

But that said, there was no guarantee this would 'work'. Indeed there was quite a bit of speculation even after slim's announcement that it wouldn't hold anything but a very typically temporary price-drop bump - which I presume went doubly so for NA - given that the PS3 was apparently too tainted. I dunno how much precedent we have for a third place system to recover to a competitive level so far into a generation (?) So I think that it is notable, as 'obvious' as it all might seem in hindsight.

gkrykewy said:
Oh god, no. Don't go Gahiggidy on us.

I'm pondering Sony's number, not NPD's :lol It's possible Sony's BF numbers were (wrongly) inflated compared to what a NPD might show. We do have to take manufacturer numbers at face value, but it's just a suggestion given how lopsided the month appears.

borghe said:

for reference:

Playstation 3 378k
Xbox 360 836k

PlayStation 3 710.4K
Xbox 360 819.5K

Well it's almost half the price, of coruse it should sel almost twice.

gofreak said:
It would have been disasterous.

Prior to slim's announcement and the pricecut the holiday was looking like another very difficult one, sales-wise.

But that said, there was no guarantee this would 'work'. Indeed there was quite a bit of speculation even after slim's announcement that it wouldn't hold anything but a very typically temporary price-drop bump - which I presume went doubly so for NA - given that the PS3 was apparently too tainted. I dunno how much precedent we have for a third place system to recover to a competitive level so far into a generation (?) So I think that it is notable, as 'obvious' as it all might seem in hindsight.

I think the bump will be somewhat permanent.

I don't think the PS3 will rise to heaven, but it will stay where it is right now, maybe a close third?

It definetly wasn't last year, but I think from now on it will just keep following the other two systems from a closer range.

Rolf NB

DeaconKnowledge said:
What i'd be interested in seeing is GameCube November after 99 dollar price cut vs. PS3s November numbers.
I have an entry in my NPD spreadhseet for Gamecube in November '05. It's not even rounded to thousands ... I don't think it's ok to post it raw.
Rough idea: PS3's figure for this month is somewhere around 2.5 times as high.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SmokyDave said:
Anyone that can get themselves banned over one electronic box selling more than another is obviously not in a position to just buy both boxes and enjoy the games.
Not true at all, plenty of multiple-platform owning console warriors floating around. :p

kitzkozan

Stumpokapow said:

I don't know what the data will look like,but my guess is that a sequel would probably be optimized for console first and foremost. :p Unless the sales can be strong enough on PC that they can afford to make it the platform of choice.

I think Dragon age will end up on par with Mass effect,which is probably around 2.4 million copies sold.I would expect a million copies sold for the PC version and around 1.4 for consoles(vg chartz isn't all that accurate,but it will bypass 1 million copies worldwide on console next week).Given the roots of Bioware and Dragon age being designed for that platform,it wouldn't be surprising to see 1 million copies sold on PC.

gofreak said:
I'm pondering Sony's number, not NPD's :lol It's possible Sony's BF numbers were inflated compared to what a NPD might show. We do have to take these numbers at face value, but it's just a suggestion given how lopsided the month appears.

Earlier someone mentioned NPD's month may have ended a day before the end of the BF "weekend;" however long that is.

gkryhewy

gofreak said:
I'm pondering Sony's number, not NPD's :lol It's possible Sony's BF numbers were (wrongly) inflated compared to what a NPD might show. We do have to take these numbers at face value, but it's just a suggestion given how lopsided the month appears.

Given the prevalence of BF PS3 deals relative to the other consoles, it's not surprising at all that it was so lopsided. I suspect that they just pulled some sales forward from December, which will end up looking less rosy.

Similarly, I suspect that the early November 360 Arcade deals pulled some demand forward from the end of November, which made their BF numbers not worth bragging about.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
LCfiner said:
I think saying "If the ps3 didn't double last years numbers" is pretty disingenuous. If the PS3 didn't RAISE YoY I would agree with you. But I think it's a pretty unquantifiable metric to say how MUCH of a raise would have been expected, how much would be "not enough" and how much would be "really good". You seem to believe that double YoY is expected. I believe that double YoY is "really good". The truth is obviously somewhere in between there which again just leads to what I was originally saying... obviously the honeymoon isn't over. The system is still selling strong, at least through Nov. We'll have to see what Dec says....
Sohter.Nura said:
I think the bump will be somewhat permanent.

I don't think the PS3 will rise to heaven, but it will stay where it is right now, maybe a close third?

It definetly wasn't last year, but I think from now on it will just keep following the other two systems from a closer range.
which says two things:

1. sony marketing is working and keeping it's sales on par with the other HD console.
2. ensures that third parties have to keep taking the PS3 seriously, especially in the realm of quality ports and lessened exclusive DLC/content.

For all current and future PS3 owners this is an important thing.

But most importantly, it actually gives consumers a real CHOICE when shopping for a console. At this point the only REAL exclusives are basically a total of around half a dozen notable franchises between both systems. This is something that hasn't been realistic to say over the past 3 years up to now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
No I don't think so as it is important in this case because DA looks heavily front-loaded and guarantee it will not show up in Dec NPD unlike ME.

The argument is roundly ridiculous. We don't have weekly figures for the game, so you have no idea if it's front-loaded or not. You are extrapolating off one data point. I have no idea if ME1 or DA:O will prove to have sold the best in the end, frankly, I just know that you pulling the "it was out aaaaallll month" scam is just silly.

Next, Mass Effect did NOT show up in the December NPD in its release year. Here's the December 2007 NPD top ten:
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *1 1.47 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.40 million
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) *3 1.25 million
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 4 1.08 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *5 893.7 K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) *6 742.7 K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 7 659.5 K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 8 655.2 K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 9 624.6 K
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 613.0 K

There is not even a 1% chance that DA:O will show up, but this doesn't really mean anything about it in comparison to ME, because ME didn't show up either.

Oh yea and your argument is filled with holes considering Borderlands numbers from last month;

Borderlands (360) / Take-Two / 418K
Borderlands (PS3) / Take-Two / 113K

Okay so you have decided to be dumb.

Please don't tell my my argument is "filled with holes" if you haven't read my post.

In my original post on this topic, which you replied to so I'm assuming you've read, I specifically explained that while 360:pS3 ratio generally runs from 1.5:1 to 3:1, there are factors that change things. One factor is exclusive content. One factor is heavy retailer promotion for one system. One factor is that certain genres tend to break this paradigm; in specific, fighting games tend to do disproportionately well on the PS3 (this is possibly a controller thing, possibly a testament to early support like VF5 leading on PS3, and possibly just a natural thing given that PS2 was great for fighters and Xbox1 was not). Games with huge co-op and online community elements, particularly FPSes, tend to lead stronger on Xbox.

A combination of these factors explains the MW2 360:pS3 ratio; it's an online community heavy game that was pretty much exclusively advertised on 360. That's why the ratio is slanted a bit heavier than most games.

Borderlands is just about the most obvious example of this possible. It's a game whose entire raison d'etre is online community--probably moreso than literally any other game released in 2009, and whose advertising was dominantly 360.

If you still feel DA:O PS3 sold less than 100k, I'd be happy to make either a permaban bet or a $100 USD cash bet on the subject to be paid out when either the numbers are released officially or someone here with the actual numbers confirms them.

JudgeN said:
Does anyone have COD: WaW numbers for PS3/360 to compare with MW2? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Month 1
WaW 360 1.41 million
WaW PS3 597K

MW1 360 1.57 million
MW1 PS3 444k

Cheers.

LosDaddie

Banned
Dax01 said:
Holy fucking shit at MW2's numbers.

Glad to see the 360 do so well; software and hardware.

Same here.

And I'll add that I'm very happy to see NSMB Wii and L4D2 do great.

EDIT: Epic NPD thread so far. Year of PS3 indeed. :D

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
The argument is roundly ridiculous. We don't have weekly figures for the game, so you have no idea if it's front-loaded or not. You are extrapolating off one data point. I have no idea if ME1 or DA:O will prove to have sold the best in the end, frankly, I just know that you pulling the "it was out aaaaallll month" scam is just silly.

Next, Mass Effect did NOT show up in the December NPD in its release year. Here's the December 2007 NPD top ten:
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *1 1.47 million
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.40 million
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) *3 1.25 million
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 4 1.08 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) *5 893.7 K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) *6 742.7 K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 7 659.5 K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS AUG 2007 EVERYONE (E) 8 655.2 K
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 9 624.6 K
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 10 613.0 K

There is not even a 1% chance that DA:O will show up, but this doesn't really mean anything about it in comparison to ME, because ME didn't show up either.

Okay so you have decided to be dumb.

Please don't tell my my argument is "filled with holes" if you haven't read my post.

In my original post on this topic, which you replied to so I'm assuming you've read, I specifically explained that while 360:pS3 ratio generally runs from 1.5:1 to 3:1, there are factors that change things. One factor is exclusive content. One factor is heavy retailer promotion for one system. One factor is that certain genres tend to break this paradigm; in specific, fighting games tend to do disproportionately well on the PS3 (this is possibly a controller thing, possibly a testament to early support like VF5 leading on PS3, and possibly just a natural thing given that PS2 was great for fighters and Xbox1 was not). Games with huge co-op and online community elements, particularly FPSes, tend to lead stronger on Xbox.

A combination of these factors explains the MW2 360:pS3 ratio; it's an online community heavy game that was pretty much exclusively advertised on 360. That's why the ratio is slanted a bit heavier than most games.

Borderlands is just about the most obvious example of this possible. It's a game whose entire raison d'etre is online community--probably moreso than literally any other game released in 2009, and whose advertising was dominantly 360.

If you still feel DA:O PS3 sold less than 100k, I'd be happy to make either a permaban bet or a $100 USD cash bet on the subject to be paid out when either the numbers are released officially or someone here with the actual numbers confirms them.

I never said it did under 100K I said it could have, and at that ratio whether online functions or not it would have done it plain and simple. At best it may have done ~150k that is my guess, which in fact would means it barely pulled a win with a full month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
I never said it did under 100K I said it could have, and at that ratio whether online functions or not it would have done it plain and simple. At best it may have done ~150k that is my guess.

I will bet you $100 USD or a permaban that DA:O did better than 150k on PS3. Lady luck is on my side here.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
I will bet you $100 USD or a permaban that DA:O did better than 150k on PS3. Lady luck is on my side here.

Make all the ban bets you want amigo if it done much more who cares it ain't gonna be much, which again in fact would mean it barely pulled a win with a full month.

Hell I bought the game during the month, but the ME comparisons are just silly because they will fall right on their face come Dec NPD numbers.

Maybe Ani can give us the rough estimate.

Rolf NB

borghe said:
You seem to believe that double YoY is expected. I believe that double YoY is "really good". The truth is obviously somewhere in between there
Why?

Is there any avenue I can pursue, an organization I can support, a vote I can cast, to get dialectics removed from every last curriculum around the globe?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
Make all the ban bets you want amigo

I'm not making the bets because I want to, I'm making the bets because your arguments are so terrible that I couldn't possibly lose them. Hell, I'll bet $200 against your $50 or a permaban against your temp-ban that DA:O PS3 broke 150k. I can't overstate my confidence here that your argumentation is poor.

if it done much more who cares it ain't gonna be much, which again in fact would mean it barely pulled a win with a full month.

Here are the arguments you've made so far:
- To syllogism, that DA:O did not outsell Mass Effect 1, which it clearly did.
- To me, that the 1.5:1 - 3:1 ratio range for 360:pS3 is invalid in general or doesn't apply here, when it clearly does.
- To me, that DA:O's sales don't "count" as a win because "it had four weeks", which is irrelevant and bizarre. It's bizarre every time someone makes that argument on one data point, because we don't have a clue if DA:O had a big opening week and 3 weak weeks, or three equal weeks, or the same fact for Mass Effect. You seemed to use "Mass Effect made the NPD top 10 in its second month" as some sort of secondary proof here, and that wasn't even true as a two minute Google search could demonstrate.

If you feel that you've come out of this exchange having persuasively argued for why Dragon Age did not do well and did not beat out Mass Effect's first month, good on you, but I don't think anyone else reading is likely to see things the same way.

Jtyettis said:
Maybe Ani can give us the rough estimate.

If he's a sensible guy he'll do no such thing until I con you into taking this bet so you can't retroactively avoid it.

Top Bottom