• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Road

speculawyer said:
Pffft.

The xbox 360 got its ass kicked for years by the Wii in both the US and the UK. Now all of a sudden nationalism is the reason why it is doing well? :lol
That the 360 has always done better in the US (and the UK) than everywhere else is what said.

Gadfly said:
Touché. (and a stupid thing to say given all evidence to contrary).
I just think nationalism is not that relevant (except perhaps in Japan but there's a proper, current thread already to discuss that).

jedimike

MS certainly won't catch Wii in shear numbers sold, but in the end, when you're talking revenue for the industry, the 360 will win with $$$ generated.

donny2112

szaromir said:
If you want to know to compare unit sales of different games, combining SKUs is the only reasonable option.

There's also this nice other option of comparing the base SKU to the base SKU. :p

NPD tracks the games separated, so if the question is what game has the highest monthly total in NPD, it makes sense to report it as they track it. If NPD hadn't changed how they report numbers to the public, I seriously doubt we'd be having this conversation, anyway. :lol

Edit:
If you want a combined SKU Top 5, it'd be ...

1. 360 CoD: Black Ops - 4.9m (Nov-2010)
2. 360 CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - 4.2m (Nov-2009)
3. 360 Halo: Reach - 3.3m (Sep-2009)
3. 360 Halo 3 - 3.3m (Sep-2007)
3. XBX Halo 2 - 3.3m (Nov-2004)

Curufinwe

jedimike said:
MS certainly won't catch Wii in shear numbers sold, but in the end, when you're talking revenue for the industry, the 360 will win with $$$ generated.

But not in profit since Nintendo has never sold the Wii at a loss and never took a $1 billion charge due to faulty hardware.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Curufinwe said:
But not in profit since Nintendo has never sold the Wii at a loss and never took a $1 billion charge due to faulty hardware.
How much money Wii is making from its online business?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not sure if it's still relevant, but nextgeneration et al were discussing the effect of the S Model on Xbox 360 sales. I thought this graph from a couple of months ago might be helpful:
the-great-race-2010.png

It shows fairly clearly, I believe, that the release of the S Model was an inflection point in the Xbox 360's YTD sales curve.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
jvm said:
Not sure if it's still relevant, but nextgeneration et al were discussing the effect of the S Model on Xbox 360 sales. I thought this graph from a couple of months ago might be helpful:
the-great-race-2010.png

It shows fairly clearly, I believe, that the release of the S Model was an inflection point in the Xbox 360's YTD sales curve.
why not add Oct and Nov?

mm04

Lonely1 said:
Well, is someone really arguing that Nintendo won't make the most profit out of this gen!?

Most money generated != most profits. There is no argument either way. Nintendo will have made the most profits, Microsoft will have generated the most revenue.

charlequin said:
Is someone arguing that someone other than Nintendo will make any profit this gen?

Microsoft will probably be pretty close after this quarter but there is no way to know.

edit- typed in quarter but meant year as in this fiscal year.

charlequin said:
Is someone arguing that someone other than Nintendo will make any profit this gen?
Depending on how long it lasts, MS has a pretty good chance... going on average profit per year since they posted their last loss (Y/E 2007) anyway.

Ashes

Banned
Psychotext said:
Depending on how long it lasts, MS has a pretty good chance... going on average profit per year since they posted their last loss (Y/E 2007) anyway.

Which year did they put down the billion or so dollors for rrd?

FrankT

donny2112 said:

I knew I remember him posting this stuff so there are some others as well;

Virgin Megastores
BJ's Wholesale Club
Buy.com
Newegg.com

One thing though I could have sworn he posted a % at one point though I maybe mistaken on that.

Edit: How long did it take you to find that with no history/search heh?

Psychotext said:

Last time I checked I think they are down to around 1.6B range as far as a loss this gen. At the rate they are going they should clear it depending on when they introduce new hardware, which is not happening anytime soon.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
Edit: How long did it take you to find that with no history/search heh?

I've cobbled together a way to search the titles of all the threads in the forum. That led to the TRU thread, which reminded me that sonycowboy's post was during the Summer of that year. The problem finding the online retailer post is that the thread was moved to the Sales Archive and didn't show up in the regular forum search. Overall, I've been looking off and on for that post for a few months. :lol

FrankT

a Master Ninja said:
Has this really not been posted yet?

Beginning on Sunday 12/12 and ending 12/18, buy any PS3 console and receive a $50 Best Buy gift card free. This decision to do this promotion is last minute and it does not appear in the weekly flyer. Other retailers are expected to follow suit.

Sony responding to the beating they got in November?

Perhaps you got the $75 Wal-Mart card with the 360 250gb all this next week too. Maybe a response to that or a little bit of both.

donny2112 said:
There's also this nice other option of comparing the base SKU to the base SKU. :p

NPD tracks the games separated, so if the question is what game has the highest monthly total in NPD, it makes sense to report it as they track it. If NPD hadn't changed how they report numbers to the public, I seriously doubt we'd be having this conversation, anyway. :lol

Edit:

Crazy stuff.

Pride

Redbeard said:
And yet it continues to outsell the 360 world wide, despite lagging behind in one single territory.

There is no proof that PS3 is outselling 360 world wide. 360 is outselling PS3 in the UK.

onipex

jedimike said:

You really think so?

The report said that the Wii "dominates" the current console generation in terms of revenue share. Ibis said the Wii captures 47 percent of global platform revenue, followed by Xbox 360 with 35 percent and PlayStation 3 with 18 percent. 2009 console revenues were over $30 billion.

Link

While the 360 does generate a ton of revenue it has not been the leading revenue generator for the industry. It could be close by the end of the generation if the bump from the slim and kinect last as long as the PS3 bump lasted but I still don't think total revenue generated would put the 360 in the lead.

longdi

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Has this really not been posted yet?

Beginning on Sunday 12/12 and ending 12/18, buy any PS3 console and receive a $50 Best Buy gift card free. This decision to do this promotion is last minute and it does not appear in the weekly flyer. Other retailers are expected to follow suit.

Sony responding to the beating they got in November?

I hope Sony do more than a gift card. This is crucial moment for PS3, every time in the past 360 threatens to break away, Sony managed to sell enough PS3 to make it a 3 horse race. The sign is bad for now, it is like back to 2006/07 period but 360 is on a verge of a real breakout to Wii level, it is sad if Wii and 360 ends the generation neck and neck, with a 30 to 40m lead, each, over PS3, meaning PS3 sales become stale with the word of mouth trend towards 360 as Wii owners and newbies upgrades to HD gaming.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
donny2112 said:

Edit:

Thought Halo 2 only did around 2m first month?
Which would make the PS3 version of Blops 5th.

Vyer

Seeing that NPD article over in OT about how well Blu Ray players were selling during Black Friday, I find it interesting that when the players finally drop to prices below that of the system, PS3 sales are a little more disappointing. In addition, I really thought the days of PS3 selling so far behind the others in the US were long gone.

Ashes

Banned
onipex said:
You really think so?

Link

While the 360 does generate a ton of revenue it has not been the leading revenue generator for the industry. It could be close by the end of the generation if the bump from the slim and kinect last as long as the PS3 bump lasted but I still don't think total revenue generated would put the 360 in the lead.

47% of 30 billion is just under 15 Billion for that year. That's near enough Nintendo's revenue. $15,755,480,894.44

So where is Nintendo's DS revenue/profits/sales?

Anyways:
x360 around 35% of 30 billion makes it 11.5 Billion.
ps3 around 18% of 30 billion makes it 5.4 Billion. X360 makes more than double the ps3 in generating revenue?

I really doubt this report if I'm honest.

One single decision fucked Sony this gen. They have yet to recover from it, nor do I think they ever will.

$599.

They lost so much ground in the first couple of years off the back of that bullshit. By the time the price drops and the slim model came out it was too late, the broad picture of this generation was already in sharp focus.

Looking back it's mind-boggling to think that Sony could have been so stupid, to believe that people would accept that batshit-insane price.

Ashes

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
One single decision fucked Sony this gen. They have yet to recover from it, nor do I think they ever will.

$599.

They lost so much ground in the first couple of years off the back of that bullshit. By the time the price drops and the slim model came out it was too late, the broad picture of this generation was already in sharp focus.

Looking back it's mind-boggling to think that Sony could have been so stupid, to believe that people would accept that batshit-insane price.

I've thought that a long time, and no doubt it's chief among reasons. But the thing is the same pretty much could be said about Europe and the case turned out differently. Ps3 has year after year consistantly done better than x360 in europe, it closed that gap slowly but surely and overtook them.

I reckon, it's has a little bit to do with Microsoft's strides with xbox in america and perhaps overtaking gamecube there (or here I guess in this thread).

Coming in next gen, or maybe this half step with Kinnect is a extra gen of sorts, Xbox 360 has a foothold in Europe as well, so things could spell real trouble for PS3's successor, if the same sort of things happen again. i.e. what you were referring to. i.e. price and online.

Ashes1396 said:
47% of 30 billion is just under 15 Billion for that year. That's near enough Nintendo's revenue. $15,755,480,894.44

Anyways:
ps3 around 18% of 30 billion makes it 5.4 Billion. X360 makes more than double the ps3 in generating revenue?

360 sells more hardware, software and accessories (now even more with the Kinect), why wouldn't this be believable?

noise36

$599.

$599 is just a symptom of the real error.

The real error being Bluray.

Bluray offers nothing meaningful to the ps3 as a gaming system but was responsible for it being the most expensive this gen...and ultimately for its failure to generate profit.

jvm said:
the-great-race-2010.png

did the PS3 slim cause a similar type of inflection last year?

and if so, how long did it last?

noise36 said:

Bluray offers nothing meaningful to the ps3 as a gaming system but was responsible for it being the most expensive this gen...and ultimately for its failure to generate profit.
it did offer some meaningful things. but not a lot of meaningful things.

PS3 certainly could have gotten by without. But hey...it was part of the plan. Sony said themselves (IIRC) that they were okay with lower sales this gen if it mean Blu-ray format's mass adoption. PS3 was the sacrificial lamb of sorts. I don't know how much they stand to make in royalties off of the format, but it comes at the expense of gamers and the strength of the PlayStation brand. So for their sake, I hope it winds up worth it. Because with Nintendo and MS strong, Sony will never have the market share they once earned and enjoyed.

szaromir

Banned
Ashes1396 said:

Anyways:

It's revenue per platform, not platform holder's revenue. So the numbers include all the money generated by 3rd party software and accessories as well. But I have no idea how legit these estimatons are.

swerve

noise36 said:

Nah, it's way bigger than just BluRay. The whole machine's architecture was arrogant, the libraries weren't there, the online structure wasn't there, and the promises were way beyond what was delivered. They've worked very, very hard to catch up, but it was an impossible mission from the off.

MS had a sharp focus on online gaming as the core, and supporting developers with kickass tools. PS3 limped out of the gate unfinished and overpriced, and it even shows now with the hack-job OS (the ticker, what's new, etc... all tacked on and poorly integrated).

Really, at least BluRay made it attractive to a certain market segment. Without the *potential* that Kutaragi was so obsessed with, it would have arguably had much less to fight the 360 with.

RedStep

user_nat said:
Thought Halo 2 only did around 2m first month?
Which would make the PS3 version of Blops 5th.

Well, sure, if we based the list around what you think it might be, it might be different. But it is accurate, so it might be a bit different than what you might think it might be.

Kafel

Banned
We still didn't get a few figures for the Kinect games ?

About Nintendo's revenues, I'm sure they make A LOT from accessories too and of course the royalties from the trucks of shovelware. We have separated figures for the Wii and the DS by the way ?

Ashes

Banned
szaromir said:
It's revenue per platform, not platform holder's revenue. So the numbers include all the money generated by 3rd party software and accessories as well. But I have no idea how legit these estimatons are.

I recognised that and pointed out the similiarity to Nintendo's own total Revenue. I only chose Nintendo first because they are the only 'Game' only company. Their revenue which should be a share of the total platform revenue of the wii, doesn't seem to match up. Even if we say that Nintendo generated half of their 15 Billion dollors revenue on the wii, for ease of argument, say 7 and 1/2 Billion, that leaves a gaping 7 1/2 billion revenue not coming from them on the wii. I don't think Nintendo generates only half of total wii revenue; isn't it like a 90/10 split in software, first party versus third party software on the wii? (some one will find that table I'm sure).

Having reread your post, I'm actually not sure where you think we differ.

Kafel said:
We still didn't get a few figures for the Kinect games ?

About Nintendo's revenues, I'm sure they make A LOT from accessories too and of course the royalties from the trucks of shovelware. We have separated figures for the Wii and the DS by the way ?

Point the way...

Just so people aren't confused, I'm not disputing people's post it seems, just that report.

Ashes

Banned
BishopLamont said:
360 sells more hardware, software and accessories (now even more with the Kinect), why wouldn't this be believable?

Cause it's double?
This isn't profit, this is gross platform revenue.
Also, Sony ships more ps3s worldwide than x360 according to their own corporate statements, and has done for a few years, it's why they are said to have been catching up even after the year head start by the x360. Am I wrong here?
Software wise, I don't see where you think the x360 platform as a whole is doubling the software revenue of PS3 in 2009. Third parties or first parties.
I guess there is xbl gold and there they (Microsoft) are making a killing as psn plus didn't exist in 2009, even if it did I'd say it's safe to say they would still make a killing. I think for your argument to work, Xbl gold would have to rake in as much as the rest of the x360 platform it self.

Hammer24

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
I think for your argument to work, Xbl gold would have to rake in as much as the rest of the x360 platform it self.

Don´t forget the MS points cards, being the best selling accessories for many months.

Ashes

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Don´t forget the MS points cards, being the best selling accessories for many months.

I love that they made money as a commodity worth buying. Props where it is due. Microsoft knows how to make money.

Man

Opus Angelorum said:
What will be of great interest is the beginning of the next generation, for one reason.

It will be the first time Microsoft release a console on the back of a generation which they have for the most part lead (excluding the Wii of course).

Now on paper that should give them a great advantage, but will they become complacent like Sony or will they hit the ground running? Time will tell.

I think it will be harder for them in many ways. They will be facing a battle scarred Sony that has learned a life lesson or five. They're not up against an arrogant giant anymore but someone who has busted their asses on building up a unrivaled next-gen studio line up and fought every possible challenge this gen has come up with and regained ground inch by inch.

Top Bottom