• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Ashes1396 said:
Of course they do. Cod needs to spend that much producing content every year, nintendo doesn't. Those evergreen titles are pretty damn evergreen. :lol
And Nintendo has several CODs, and hasn't fallen foul of the studios that create the enterprises... plus... oh we could go on for a bit....
Yeah.

I'm Thunder Monkey. I think I remember you from other threads but it's kind of hazy. Flirting with me goes a long way.

Anyway I knew the Wii was going to be huge when we saw the running of the nerds at E3 2006. Fat and flabby manchildren wouldn't be that excited about something unless they knew it was going to be the thing of the generation.

They may not have wanted it, but I could see it coming with how much coverage that thing was getting. But I will admit. I let the blinding pace of its first two years set my expectations too high. I now doubt the system will have the lifespan of the PS2, but it should come close to the unit count at the end of the generation. Closer to the PS1 then PS2.

I completely discounted Sony and Microsoft at the start of the generation. But as time has went on they've made a game of it. For the first generation ever we will have three consoles that pass the 50 million unit mark. One that will hit the 100 million mark.

Not bad compared to last gen. One mega hit and two consoles pretty close to "flops".

Tmac

I dont think blu-ray was the sole reason for the $599 price tag.

People dont realize but blu-ray is just an improved DVD. The only difference whould be the laser lens itself, since most of the other components are shared by a videogame and whould be used anyways (plastic casing, processor, screws, etc). The other cost involved is royaties and P&D, costs that sony whould have anyways or that reverts to them as a profit for the blu-ray division.

I think their main problem was of schedule. MS early launch forced them to launch earlier which caused all sorts of problems.

Ashes

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Yeah.

I'm Thunder Monkey. I think I remember you from other threads but it's kind of hazy. Flirting with me goes a long way.

Anyway I knew the Wii was going to be huge when we saw the running of the nerds at E3 2006. Fat and flabby manchildren wouldn't be that excited about something unless they knew it was going to be the thing of the generation.

They may not have wanted it, but I could see it coming with how much coverage that thing was getting. But I will admit. I let the blinding pace of its first two years set my expectations too high. I now doubt the system will have the lifespan of the PS2, but it should come close to the unit count at the end of the generation. Closer to the PS1 then PS2.

I completely discounted Sony and Microsoft at the start of the generation. But as time has went on they've made a game of it. For the first generation ever we will have three consoles that pass the 50 million unit mark. One that will hit the 100 million mark.

Not bad compared to last gen. One mega hit and two consoles pretty close to "flops".

I think that about sums it up. It was the coolness factor. Wii had it. Now Microsoft has it. Ps move looks old and cheap. I wonder what will happen when lbp with move gets marketed. I'm not making any predictions, because it looks like Kinect is going to steamroll move at christmas. But lbp 2 tows that hardcore/casual line.
They really screwed up with not having LBP at christmas.

Curufinwe

viciouskillersquirrel said:
:lol

Uncompressed audio sounds so good coming out of the TV speakers the overwhelming majority of gamers use as their sound solution. So good.

I have my sound coming out of 5-year old, $50 Radioshack stereo speakers thank you very much. :D

fernoca

Plus many developers still use third party tools to compress video and audio, like Bink. Putting that on a Bluray disc won't magically improve quality.

The few that do put uncompressed audio and video, it does look incredible.

Zoe

fernoca said:
Plus many developers still use third party tools to compress video and audio, like Bink. Putting that on a Bluray disc won't magically improve quality.

Luckily SE only Bink-ified the 360 version of FFXIII.

Curufinwe said:
I have my sound coming out of 5-year old, $50 Radioshack stereo speakers thank you very much. :D

We may own the same exact speakers actually. I remember paying $100 for the both of them there around 5 years ago.

DR2K

Banned
:lol

Uncompressed audio sounds so good coming out of the TV speakers the overwhelming majority of gamers use as their sound solution. So good.

The overwhelming majority of gamers still play HD consoles on SD sets, your point?

DR2K said:
The overwhelming majority of gamers still play HD consoles on SD sets, your point?
Uncompressed audio and HD video are meaningless as far as the overwhelming majority of consumers are concerned. Harping on them is like arguing that racing stripes make cars go faster.

This isn't about your enjoyment or what you perceive as important. This thread is about sales.

JoeBoy101

Guys, I loved Fable II, but Fable III was a mess. Just simply, no.

Surprised how much Kinect has taken off, but I wonder how much it is the bundling and how much is actual demand. Honestly, I'm going to upgrade my old and busted Xbox to the new black hotness, and why not throw down a bit extra for the 'cool new thing'?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
JoeBoy101 said:
Guys, I loved Fable II, but Fable III was a mess. Just simply, no.

Surprised how much Kinect has taken off, but I wonder how much it is the bundling and how much is actual demand. Honestly, I'm going to upgrade my old and busted Xbox to the new black hotness, and why not throw down a bit extra for the 'cool new thing'?
So you think people are buying 360s bundled with Kinect not because they want to get Kinect but because they can't find unbundled 360s?

Wonder how much revenue MS makes off gamertag name changes. My nephew alone has changed his 5 times in under 2 years. WTF!:lol
Free money amrite?

JoeBoy101

Gadfly said:
So you think people are buying 360s bundled with Kinect not because they want to get Kinect but because they can't find unbundled 360s?

Stores around me you can't find an Xbox bundle without Kinect easily at all. I'm sure online is different, but the South can be backward. It just has a bit of a whiff of "Little Timmy wanted an Xbox, so we'll get this one with the new cool Kinect as well." Then again, I could be just pissing idly into the wind. Considering I'm planning on getting one of those bundles, I'd rather be wrong.

BowieZ

Banned
Gadfly said:
There's probably a middle ground there.

"Hi salesman, my son wants to buy an Exbock which one should we get?"
"Well, you're after the Xbox 360 which is fandangled and hi-tech blah blah but you're in luck as it ONLY JUST came out with this super new Kinect device, have you heard about that?"
"Oh yeah... it was on Good Morning America the other week"
"Being a mom you might like it as well; it's just like the Wii but even easier to use! And your son will love you! If you're gonna get one you might as well get Kinect with it too."

Passive demand.

Subitai

So what are the chances of any more numbers coming out?

This weekend and next weekend appear to be approaching the biggest ever. It will be interesting to see if MS can hold off Nintendo again.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Subitai said:
So what are the chances of any more numbers coming out?

This weekend and next weekend appear to be approaching the biggest ever. It will be interesting to see if MS can hold off Nintendo again.
That's a tall order.

Wii has become the "default" console to buy for kids during holiday season.

mm04

CitizenCope said:
Wonder how much revenue MS makes off gamertag name changes. My nephew alone has changed his 5 times in under 2 years. WTF!:lol
Free money amrite?

Maybe my nephew is in the same circle of friends. He's at around 5 or 6 name changes too. Lectures from me seem to do no good on that matter.

Tmac said:
I dont think blu-ray was the sole reason for the $599 price tag.

People dont realize but blu-ray is just an improved DVD. The only difference whould be the laser lens itself, since most of the other components are shared by a videogame and whould be used anyways (plastic casing, processor, screws, etc). The other cost involved is royaties and P&D, costs that sony whould have anyways or that reverts to them as a profit for the blu-ray division.

I think their main problem was of schedule. MS early launch forced them to launch earlier which caused all sorts of problems.

PS3 launch was rushed, yield on Blu-ray diodes was extremely bad at the time. They blew a ton of $$$ making those.

I think KK once said they wanted to launch PS3 with 65nm CPU/GPU, system launched with 90nm components, 65 nm didn't come til later.

see5harp

mm04 said:
Maybe my nephew is in the same circle of friends. He's at around 5 or 6 name changes too. Lectures from me seem to do no good on that matter.

To be fair to your nephew, he genuinely thought Hoobstank was the Beatles of his generation. One week of playing COD online straightened that whole thing out.

Curufinwe

Oblivion said:
So....do NPD threads still contain hilarious gifs?

Of course.

g05e7.gif

Baki

szaromir said:
Well, we were comparing 1st party sales in general. If you bashed me for making conclusions on insufficient data (ie. without having direct data from these publishers), I'd agree, because it is quite pointless, but only calling me a troll and posting some other pieces of lacking data is just as silly.

If thats the case, I apologise.

Takao

Banned
"Move in the title" - were any games using that moniker? In other regions I know Start The Party was known as "Move Party" but that's not here. but I guess there's Singstar Move...

Takao said:
"Move in the title" - were any games using that moniker? In other regions I know Start The Party was known as "Move Party" but that's not here. but I guess there's Singstar Move...

Can't think of any that would qualify - perhaps it's intended to be Move games in general?

Takao said:

I think what they meant to say is games that require the Move to play.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Takao said:

I'm not really sure about this either. Anyone want to clarify?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
I think what they meant to say is games that require the Move to play.
I guess something like the New Time Crisis would qualify as Move software, but technically, you can play it with a GunCon.

Not surprising considering the nearly 1 million unit difference in the NPD sales but interesting

Pachter added:

"About one fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting a modest third month. About half of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, suggesting a strong first month. Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by more than 5:1."

http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox...-move-ps3-bundles-by-more-than-5-to-1-2010-12

DR2K

Banned
Uncompressed audio and HD video are meaningless as far as the overwhelming majority of consumers are concerned. Harping on them is like arguing that racing stripes make cars go faster.

This isn't about your enjoyment or what you perceive as important. This thread is about sales.

As is HD, 3D, 5.1/7.1 surround, and a bunch of other shit would fall under "meaningless" to the vast majority of consumers. All of which have managed to inflate the price of everything this gen one way or the other.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I wrote it the way it was conveyed to me. Michael hangs around GAF occasionally, so perhaps he'll drop in to speak about Move game sales. I try not to bother him more than 2-3 times a month...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
jvm said:
I wrote it the way it was conveyed to me. Michael hangs around GAF occasionally, so perhaps he'll drop in to speak about Move game sales. I try not to bother him more than 2-3 times a month...
But I guess is safe to assume that Move software performance was less than good, right?

Lonely1 said:
I guess something like the New Time Crisis would qualify as Move software, but technically, you can play it with a GunCon.

I don't think that counts as it's not Move required.

ICallItFutile said:
Currently there are thirteen Move-only titles in the US, with 11 being exclusives. So all those sold less than 200k? Ouch.

Well, the best game is Sports Champions and that wouldn't count cause it's bundled with hardware and bundled games aren't counted by the NPD. I think the game sold a lot... just not to people who already had a camera then bought a Wand on their own then the game.

Thunder Monkey said:

I guess you didn't see the exact same thing happen the year before, then? The E3 rush to see the Wii was identical to 2005's rush to Nintendo's booth to play Twilight Princess on the Gamecube. I was there both years. And for the record, I'm neither fat nor flabby. Whether I'm a "manchild" is subjective.

I knew the Wii was going to be huge also at E3 2006, but not because of the stampede of nerds. It was the reaction of the mainstream press and "non-gamers" that was convincing. Nerds don't get to decide that level of success.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nitnendo's E3 booth was always insane. Before that they had that awesome prize wheel, with that interactive Mario Display with Charles Martinet.

Takao

Banned
I just checked, and yeah, in North America none of the software had "Move" in the title. So I imagine that means all Move exclusive releases. I fear for Sorcery and PlayStation Move Heroes.

Top Bottom