• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuclear experts: Fukushima is much worse than Japan is letting on. Leaks everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm sure we'll get a deep bow and someone saying they will "take responsiblity" by disappearing in a few days and all will be right as rain.

Miletius

I don't think we are getting the whole truth here. But I do think we should wait for more evidence before saying: "Damn you Tepco, and damn you Japanese for not doing more." An International taskforce does need to be dispatched though, as soon as possible.

Sonicbug

goomba said:
Is it true that there are still like 20 active nuclear plants in the US that are based on the same US design as the Fukushima plant was?

Probably. I doubt we built any of them on a beach though.

0314_pilgrim-nuclear2.jpg

Less than ten miles from my house. Woo!

Probably. I doubt we built any of them on a beach though.

US has more than 20 plants with this same design. Some of the actually ARE on the beach, too.
Don't worry though guys, we're working on those Fukushima-based upgrades!

As far as the situation in Japan is concerned, I wish TEPCO would treat this with a little more urgency. The one thing I haven't been able to pinpoint, after reading MANY of these reports, is what exactly the leaking water is contaminated WITH. Pretty much determines how big of an emergency this really is.

KHarvey16

US has more than 20 plants with this same design. Some of the actually ARE on the beach, too.

Like having an adequate sea wall and not putting the emergency generators in places prone to flooding? A lot went into making that plant fail.

Jenga

Banned
I think Jake Adelstein is the only journo I follow that repeatedly mentions this (of course Japanese foreign affairs are his schtick, but yeah)

zma1013

As far as the situation in Japan is concerned, I wish TEPCO would treat this with a little more urgency. The one thing I haven't been able to pinpoint, after reading MANY of these reports, is what exactly the leaking water is contaminated WITH. Pretty much determines how big of an emergency this really is.

I've read that it's mostly cesium-137, same stuff that came from the Chernobyl disaster, only here it estimated to be in a much greater quantity. The wiki says it has a half-life of 30.17 years.

Like having an adequate sea wall and not putting the emergency generators in places prone to flooding? A lot went into making that plant fail.

I'm skeptical that they could build an adequate seawall for a tsunami like they experienced. That thing was powerful and also quite unexpected. I do agree though, emergency generators might be better placed somewhere high, like on a roof or a greatly elevated position in case of flooding.

zma1013

Show of hands. Who was pissed when their nuclear plant in Sim City got decimated by a tornado and spread radiation everywhere that prevented you from building there forever?

I've read that it's mostly cesium-137, same stuff that came from the Chernobyl disaster, only here it estimated to be in a much greater quantity. The wiki says it has a half-life of 30.17 years.

I'm skeptical that they could build an adequate seawall for a tsunami like they experienced. That thing was powerful and also quite unexpected. I do agree though, emergency generators might be better placed somewhere high, like on a roof or a greatly elevated position in case of flooding.

Can I get a source for the Cesium claim? I have searched high and low and cannot find any indications as to the type of contamination.

Also, they absolutely could've built an adequate seawall, and actually knowingly went against their design basis recommendations in building the smaller one (some of this was cost savings, a lot of it was pressure from the public that the wall would 'ruin' the view of the ocean).

in addition to these 2 things (which are already in place in the US, and were long before Fukushima), these are the industry-wide upgrades being made in response to Fukushima:

-a boatload of instrumentation for monitoring spent fuel pools
-full deterministic safe shutdown analysis for flood and full station blackout (AKA complete loss of offsite power)
-facilities strategically placed around the country to ensure emergency heavy equipment (generators/transformers/etc.) is available within a reasonable distance from all operating plants

Fou-Lu

It's ridiculous how badly most companies and governments respond to disasters, where is the preparation and dedication?

most boiling water reactors are built relatively close to... water.

correction: ALL reactors (boiling and pressurized) are built relatively close to water.

It's ridiculous how badly most companies and governments respond to disasters, where is the preparation and dedication?

I don't like the way TEPCO is handling this, but to be fair this is an insanely challenging problem to tackle. How do you locate, let alone capture, the leaking water when you can't even approach the source of the leak?

zma1013

Why don't they build the reactor over a giant hole? Not like 50 feet, but dig a deep hole as deep as you can feasibly dig it and place the dangerous radioactive parts of the nuclear mechanism over the hole. If a disaster happens and they are having trouble containing the radiation or whatever then maybe they can just dump it all down the hole and that way the radiation and stuff is buried incredibly deep and out of the way and make it safer to clean up the rest of the plant. Dunno what environmental impact this would have but it's gotta be better for us than letting all this stuff leak out onto the surface right? As long as it isn't put directly into an underwater spring or something?

Why don't they build the reactor over a giant hole? Not like 50 feet, but dig a deep hole as deep as you can feasibly dig it and place the dangerous radioactive parts of the nuclear mechanism over the hole. If a disaster happens and they are having trouble containing the radiation or whatever then maybe they can just dump it all down the hole and that way the radiation and stuff is buried incredibly deep and out of the way and make it safer to clean up the rest of the plant. Dunno what environmental impact this would have but it's gotta be better for us than letting all this stuff leak out onto the surface right? As long as it isn't put directly into an underwater spring or something?

Contamination of the water tables is pretty much the worst case scenario, which is precisely what would happen with your solution. Water, no matter where it's deposited, will work its way to the lowest point and mix with anything it comes across in the process.

Also why I was telling all the people calling for them to 'entomb' the site in concrete in the weeks following the incident that it was a bad idea.

zma1013

Contamination of the water tables is pretty much the worst case scenario, which is precisely what would happen with your solution. Water, no matter where it's deposited, will work its way to the lowest point and mix with anything it comes across in the process.

Also why I was telling all the people calling for them to 'entomb' the site in concrete in the weeks following the incident that it was a bad idea.

Would it be an issue a mile down?

Would it be an issue a mile down?

Don't really know, but the main problem is that if it does become an issue (water starts filling your hole, for example), you're already out of options.

They're talking about doing something similar to remedy this problem, by injecting some type of chemical that hardens (I've seen it referred to as freezing, or a wall of ice) the soil around the site and prevents or slows water leaving the site.

The problem is that water is nearly impossible to contain. It always goes SOMEWHERE.

as a little side fact, it is believed that the reactors at Chernobyl are still molten underneath all the concrete and rubble (not sure when they last checked). It is wreaking absolute havoc on the water tables there.

akaoni

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OKY00fmWY

Everyone with any interest in the nuclear debate should watch this;

Into Eternity is a feature documentary film directed by Danish director Michael Madsen,[1] released in 2010.[2] It follows the construction of the Onkalo waste repository at the Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant on the island of Olkiluoto, Finland. Director Michael Madsen questions Onkalo's intended eternal existence, addressing an audience in the remote future.

Into Eternity raises the question of the authorities' responsibility of ensuring compliance with relatively new safety criteria legislation and the principles at the core of nuclear waste management.[3].[4]

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is how human society will end: not nuclear war, just a bunch of nuclear plants going bust.

Not with a bang but with a whimper indeed.

linsivvi

Radiation Near Japanese Plant’s Tanks Suggests New Leaks

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/world/asia/radiation-near-japanese-plants-tanks-suggests-new-leaks.html?_r=0

TOKYO — A crisis over contaminated water at Japan’s stricken nuclear plant worsened on Saturday when the plant’s operator said it had detected high radiation levels near storage tanks, a finding that raised the possibility of additional leaks.

The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, or Tepco, said it had found the high levels of radiation at four separate spots on the ground, near some of the hundreds of tanks used to store toxic water produced by makeshift efforts to cool the Fukushima Daiichi plant’s three damaged reactors. The highest reading was 1,800 millisieverts per hour, or enough to give a lethal dose in about four hours, Tepco said.

More at the link.

Can I get a source for the Cesium claim? I have searched high and low and cannot find any indications as to the type of contamination.

Also, they absolutely could've built an adequate seawall, and actually knowingly went against their design basis recommendations in building the smaller one (some of this was cost savings, a lot of it was pressure from the public that the wall would 'ruin' the view of the ocean).

in addition to these 2 things (which are already in place in the US, and were long before Fukushima), these are the industry-wide upgrades being made in response to Fukushima:

-a boatload of instrumentation for monitoring spent fuel pools
-full deterministic safe shutdown analysis for flood and full station blackout (AKA complete loss of offsite power)
-facilities strategically placed around the country to ensure emergency heavy equipment (generators/transformers/etc.) is available within a reasonable distance from all operating plants

Thanks FlashFlooder for the interesting information you have written in this thread .

regarding the topic ....
the accident, was an accident , however the response to the situation should have been better, better planned, executed and even audited.

Even taking into to account the magnitude of the problem Tepco/Japan is facing.

jayj306

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23918882

The Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) had originally said the radiation emitted by the leaking water was around 100 milliseverts an hour.

However, the company said the equipment used to make that recording could only read measurements of up to 100 milliseverts.

The new recording, using a more sensitive device, showed a level of 1800 milliseverts an hour.

Christ.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A friend of mine is super biased against anything from the east..
He continues to gloat over how despicable the Japanese government is acting on this, as if it's further proof orientals aren't to be trusted..

I hate his line of thinking, but do keep wondering why they aren't being more open about the problem?

akira28

A friend of mine is super biased against anything from the east..
He continues to gloat over how despicable the Japanese government is acting on this, as if it's further proof orientals aren't to be trusted..

I hate his line of thinking, but do keep wondering why they aren't being more open about the problem?

haha does he actually call them "orientals"?

Japan doesn't like foreign nationals coming in to do any kind of operations. Must be some previous history somewhere...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
maybe so, but Japanese authority should be there to ensure that this does not happen... they keep doing what they should and in a proper way.

unbelievable ..... there is no excuse for this level of incompetency and inadequate response.
Amateur hour doesn't even being to describe it. It feels like some absurdist performance.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
haha does he actually call them "orientals"?

Japan doesn't like foreign nationals coming in to do any kind of operations. Must be some previous history somewhere...

He actually calls them something worse... related to having 'slanted' eyes..

Whenever we argue I'm always the one trying to make him understand the point of view of the Japanese or Chinese (it's usually these countries he has trouble with), but in this case just saying Japan has a valid reason for their ambivalence to western intervention isn't enough.

Lying to this extent about radiation levels affecting toxicity of the ocean means introducing potential unknown risks to foreign countries. Not something I'd expect from a democratic first world country. Then again, it's not like the west has a better track record of telling the truth.

Politics are truly despicable all around..

Sooo, we're just going to sit back and let this happen, won't we?

Fuck this world.

Just because no one is Rambo-ing up doesn't mean the Japanese govt, the US Govt, the International Atomic Energy Agency, and others are not monitoring and keeping a close eye on it.

The pressure is on the Japanese govt to take over for TEPCO's mismanagement and they're starting to do that

Hell, look at the US and the reaction of Deepwater Horizon Spill and how slow that was and how even now, you have apologists for BP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom