• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

laxu

Edit: The following seems to be with AA tho which you wouldn't really use at 4k i guess.

Witcher 3 only has FXAA or SMAA afaik so it's not going to make much of an impact on performance. Hairworks will though. I would fully expect the 1080 Ti to run W3 well at 4K. My overclocked 980 Ti is just on the fence for a solid 30 fps @ 4K w/ Hairworks, a 1080 should do that and even if the 1080 Ti doesn't quite run at 60 fps at all times, it should still run pretty well.

Hobbes211

I've considered selling my GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB to buy one of these, but I'm not sure what is on the horizon for my PC that I'd need such a strong card. I also don't have a 4k monitor since I opted for 1080p G-Sync instead.

Decisions.

I've considered selling my GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB to buy one of these, but I'm not sure what is on the horizon for my PC that I'd need such a strong card. I also don't have a 4k monitor since I opted for 1080p G-Sync instead.

Decisions.

For 1080p, even a high refresh rate one, a 1070 is perfect. If you don't plan on upgrading your display, you really shouldn't get a 1080ti.

If you are dead set on picking up a ti, plan on upgrading your monitor so you can really take advantage of the card.

Skyr

Decisions.

Got a 1070 too atm. Personally I would not bother to upgrade to a 1080ti if I had a 1080p monitor.

But you can of course take advantage of supersampling then.

badb0y

My card was supposed to be here yesterday but it got delayed because of the snow but the delivery estimate is gone now. I hope they deliver it today or I'm going to be pretty tilted.

Smokey

Yes I did.

And it's actually coming today! Just got the updated tracking. I won't be home today but I'll do the upgrades tomorrow and fiddle around over the weekend.

Nice. What are you replacing it with?

--

Think I've settled into my gaming OC of +175/+300 which gives me a throttled clock of 2000mhz - 2012mhz. Played Mass Effect BF1, Heaven benchmark. No artifacts or crashing.

Any eta on when those faster memory 1080's are going to be released?
Thinking about getting one of those to replace my 970 and getting a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor.
Obviously I would prefer to get a 1080 with the slightly faster memory instead of the regular one.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
My card was supposed to be here yesterday but it got delayed because of the snow but the delivery estimate is gone now. I hope they deliver it today or I'm going to be pretty tilted.

I had the same issues due to the snowstorm. I just got an email from FedEx and it was just place on the truck for delivery today. Best to check again.

gdt

Nice. What are you replacing it with?

--

Think I've settled into my gaming OC of +175/+300 which gives me a throttled clock of 2000mhz - 2012mhz. Played Mass Effect BF1, Heaven benchmark. No artifacts or crashing.
Got! Staring at it in my office right now.

Upgrading from a 980ti. Will sell that. And bumping ram from 8 to 16. I'll do all this tomorrow....

dr_rus

Do we know the core lineup of Skylake-X? Still topping out at 10 cores?

We don't but it's safe to assume that the new HEDT platform will allow for CPUs of up to 16 cores at least. Whether we'll see anything more than 10 and if it will happen with SKX or we'll have to wait till Cannon Lake X is unknown.

Smokey

Benchmarking the card in 3Dmark...On the standard firestrike test (1080p), my GPU utilization is literally in the 60% range on the combined CPU+GPU test.

It's not until I run the FS Extreme test that runs at 1440p that the same test shows 99% util on the Ti.

The card literally decides on its own to use half it's strength at 1080p tf

I haven't ran these in a while, but is that normal even in a benchmark test?

Arkanius

Benchmarking the card in 3Dmark...On the standard firestrike test (1080p), my GPU utilization is literally in the 60% range on the combined CPU+GPU test.

It's not until I run the FS Extreme test that runs at 1440p that the same test shows 99% util on the Ti.

CPU limited most likely?

Durante

That simply means that you are CPU limited at 1080p.

InfernoNR

Is this thing even worth getting if I my plan is to play at 1080p at ultra with high frame rates for gysnc? Sorry for noob question, if this is one.

Redmoon

That's what I figured, but I have the OSD running, and my 4930k wasn't close to 100% on the 6 cores or the additional 6 threads?
You probably have too much gpu power for the 1080p test lol. That last test will cap out at whatever fps you got in the CPU bench part of the run.

Smokey

Is this thing even worth getting if I my plan is to play at 1080p at ultra with high frame rates for gysnc? Sorry for noob question, if this is one.

I mean...based on what I'm posting now with a benchmark, no. Unless you plan to use supersampling or some other method for every single game.

Managed to OC my card.

Can take clock speeds right up to 2000 MHz, but not a bit over. Anything over will eventually cause the game/benchmark I'm running to just crash to desktop. Temps aren't getting that high before it happens either, so I'm not sure what is causing it.

MultiCore

I wonder if this would potentially be able to handle an imaginary 4k VR headset.

Not at the desired 90-120hz, unless you're ok with reprojection.

Also, new headsets with eye tracking will likely enable foveated rendering, which will change the performance requirements quite a bit as well.

Basically, it's hard to tell without the headset you're actually talking about on hand to test.
From a strictly resolution standpoint? No, not without the software tricks NV has advertised. (SMP, Single pass stereo, etc) (Not much really showcases those at the moment.) (It's still tough to run Raw Data on the displays we have now.)

Wag

Should I have 3 separate auctions for my 980Tis running at once or should I do it successively? Trying to get the most money out of it.

Smokey

Should I have 3 separate auctions for my 980Tis running at once or should I do it successively? Trying to get the most money out of it.

Do you have a iGPU on your mobo? If not, maybe keep one of the cards as a backup?

REDSLATE

Separate days at high net traffic hours.

There's likely many others selling their GPUs as well, so the overall demand may already be low due to saturation, but reducing the current supply will work in your favor. Balance that with the assessed duration of peak demand, and you'll be solid.

Smokey

Second 1080Ti came in along with HB bridge

33354000741_77880eabc4_b.jpg

33326299972_a530291a95_b.jpg

Ready for SLI to slap me around all over again.

This revision of my build is basically finished. ASUS PG27UQ remains.

jrcbandit

Second 1080Ti came in along with HB bridge

33354000741_77880eabc4_b.jpg

33326299972_a530291a95_b.jpg

Ready for SLI to slap me around all over again.

This revision of my build is basically finished. ASUS PG27UQ remains.

How is the noise on those bad boys? I might keep the default cooler for now when my 1080 Ti comes in.

I can get much better eBay value on my 1080 if I keep the hybrid cooler installed instead of adapting it to the Ti. A hybrid cooler specifically for the Ti with proper heatsinks/pads and contact for the different memory layout for the Ti would be preferred. I guess it depends on how much value the hybrid on my 1080 increases the price and if a Ti reference hybrid cooler is even coming.

Smokey

How is the noise on those bad boys? I might keep the default cooler for now when my 1080 Ti comes in.

I can get much better eBay value on my 1080 if I keep the hybrid cooler installed instead of adapting it to the Ti. A hybrid cooler specifically for the Ti with proper heatsinks/pads and contact for the different memory layout for the Ti would be preferred. I guess it depends on how much value the hybrid on my 1080 increases the price and if a Ti reference hybrid cooler is even coming.

They're definitely noisy compared to AIB. And it's sort of subjective since for the most part everybody's fan curve is different and people's tolerance levels are different. You could make your curve to where noise is as minimal as possible at the expense of some extra idle temps, or you could do the opposite.

Celcius said:
The rig is looking nice!
*waits for SLI benches*

So I did do a quick Heaven run lol. Gave the cards a +115/+150 OC. I'm being held back by the CPU a bit in Heaven since it primarily uses 1 core, and it was pegged around 97%. Usage on the cards were around 88%-90%.

Smokey

Am I the only one with these cards?!

So BF1 has some SLI flickering issues. Loaded up Rise of the TR and maxed out everything in it, including SSAA 4x, and it looked crazy good and that got me avg of 66fps.

Looking forward to seeing what other titles I have that can break my SLI heart.

So BF1 has some SLI flickering issues. Loaded up Rise of the TR and maxed out everything in it, including SSAA 4x, and it looked crazy good and that got me avg of 66fps.

You are crazy to go back to SLI... and I am crazy enough to even think about going down that path... If Smokey can do it I can to!

Best of luck.

I've already accepted that the majority of the time I'll be playing with it disabled.

Yeah. But sometimes dreams are better than reality. My first experience with SLI left me with a very bitter resentful feeling towards the idea for a long time. Great thing about this hobby is even with logic and reason as a base people still do idiotic things. We have to chase that dragon.

Smokey

Yeah. But sometimes dreams are better than reality. My first experience with SLI left me with a very bitter resentful feeling towards the idea for a long time. Great thing about this hobby is even with logic and reason as a base people still do idiotic things. We have to chase that dragon.

lol facts

Nothing's really changed. In fact things were better in the past with regards to support, at least from the Nvidia side.

Weevilone

I'm dumb.. how do you run the Tomb Raider bench?

I'm waiting for the ASUS Strix version ... guess it might be coming out early April? Anyone know?

Reviews came out for it few days ago so I would assume they'll be released sooner rather than later but I could be wrong. Does not make sense to me to release reviews and have it be over a month away.

Kvik

Smokey, you have Dishonoured 2? I'm interested to see whether the stuttering are still in there with 1080 Tis.

Speaking of SLI, I also have an SLI system (2x980). I certainly won't advocate it for everyone. I love tinkering with my PC though, so I get some enjoyment out of trying a number of SLI compatibility bits and editing .ini files and what not to bring my system to its knees.

Furthermore, I played these games extensively last year:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Xanadu Next
Tales of Zestiria
Tyranny
Final Fantasy X
XCOM2
Stellaris

And out of all of those, only FFX has issues with SLI which makes it unplayable.

Top Bottom