• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Kambing

Hey guys, still waiting on a solid motherboard for my 1700 Ryzen build. My 1080ti comes tomorrow. My existing system is a 2500k.

Can't really find benchmarks on the net pairing the 1080ti and my old champ. Wondering if I will run into bottlenecks playing at 4k resolution with the 2500k? I am thinking I will be more GPU constrained... hope I can at least get 4k60 in Witcher 3, have yet to play the expansions.

badb0y

Hey guys, still waiting on a solid motherboard for my 1700 Ryzen build. My 1080ti comes tomorrow. My existing system is a 2500k.

Can't really find benchmarks on the net pairing the 1080ti and my old champ. Wondering if I will run into bottlenecks playing at 4k resolution with the 2500k? I am thinking I will be more GPU constrained... hope I can at least get 4k60 in Witcher 3, have yet to play the expansions.

Are you doing any sort of streaming or productivity work? If not I would suggest a 7700k over the 1700. It comes out to about the same price but the 7700k is better for gaming. On the flipside if you do productivity work and decide to go with a 1700 I would probably go for one of the ASUS board since they always have been solid for me.

EDIT: As far as the 2500k I think it's going to bottleneck your GPU.

Smokey

Yes, the 2500k is going to bottleneck you.

--

Been OC'ing my card for the last 1.5hr or so

For benchmarking I think I'm close to topping out at +195 on Core / +360 Memory . I may be able to push memory further, but when I hit 200 on core, I get black screens in Heaven. 195 throttles the card to about 2012mhz - 2025mhz during the benchmark.

1080Ti Stock
3xNrIp7.png

1080Ti OC : +195 Core / + 360 Mem
dR766h8.png

Was determined to hit 100!

Kambing

Thanks Smokey and badb0y, seems it is time to put the guy to rest. What a god damn great CPU this was.
You guys still feel the same about the bottleneck if the 2500k is OC'ed at 4.8ghz? I forgot to mention that lol
@badb0y: yes some productivity... hard to beat 1700 value

Above: that is some crazy ass card. Imagine what 7nm will bring!

Looks like the custom cards are still 4-6 weeks out according to this article released yesterday:

https://wccftech.com/gtx-1080-ti-so...iants/?utm_source=wccftech&utm_medium=related

Was hoping they would be out this month.

Wonder where all that "mid-March" talk was coming from. I'll definitely hold off on waiting for the MSI Gaming X and FTW3 reviews if that is the case. Was going to just go for an Asus STRIX since it was the first custom to be released.

Weird that reviews are coming out for some custom cards if they're over a month away at this point.

REDSLATE

This is the last thing I'm going to say on it... my package was not on time and the options I paid for were not enacted...

Stop trying to blame the customer for a company fuck up... you're coming at me in a certain way about a situation you have no clue on, although I just laid it out for you...

I'm not blaming anyone; you are.

This wasn't "a company fuckup," it was a lack of understanding on your part. Newegg doesn't guarantee shipping and even states: may take up to X business days.

I didn't "come at you." I told you to relax; your card would come in time. Guess what? It did! LOL

And, for the record, I've clearly demonstrated that I'm more knowledgeable on this subject matter than you. What a sorry-assed pop-off.

How about we just drop it and get back to discussing the 1080 Ti :)

Too easy.
:)

Momentary

Banned
This is a little off topic, but what would cause the heaven benchmark to all of a sudden run 40-60fps when on the same settings I was running 90-120 FPS just a few months ago?

Smokey

I'm not blaming anyone; you are.

This wasn't "a company fuckup," it was a lack of understanding on your part. Newegg doesn't guarantee shipping and even states: may take up to X business days.

I didn't "come at you." I told you to relax; your card would come in time. Guess what? It did! LOL

And, for the record, I've clearly demonstrated that I'm more knowledgeable on this subject matter than you. What a sorry-assed pop-off.

Weird how I paid for Next Day shipping on my second Ti from EVGA and guess what....this may surprise you...it's actually going to show up the next day...weird huh

You have anything else to say you can take it to PM otherwise kick rocks

I'm still holding out for Vega until making a GPU choice for my upcoming Ryzen rig, but this 1080 Ti is mighty tempting. I'm thinking Zotac this time around, although EVGA is my usual go-to for nVidia parts. Hmmmm. Any info in this thread on Zotac's lineup? I don't have time to scan the whole thing, but that's the direction I'm leaning....

Are you doing any sort of streaming or productivity work? If not I would suggest a 7700k over the 1700. It comes out to about the same price but the 7700k is better for gaming. On the flipside if you do productivity work and decide to go with a 1700 I would probably go for one of the ASUS board since they always have been solid for me.

EDIT: As far as the 2500k I think it's going to bottleneck your GPU.

The initial batch of ASUS Ryzen boards is experiencing widely reported issues across the range of products. That combined with my newfound disdain for the brand in general earns it a hard skip in my book, at least for now. I've had much better overall luck/performance with ASRock boards the past 2-3 yrs. And while their customer service isn't exactly great, it's light years better than ASUS which is straight up nonexistent.

badb0y

The initial batch of ASUS Ryzen boards is experiencing widely reported issues across the range of products. That combined with my newfound disdain for the brand in general earns it a hard skip in my book, at least for now. I've had much better overall luck/performance with ASRock boards the past 2-3 yrs. And while their customer service isn't exactly great, it's light years better than ASUS which is straight up nonexistent.
Hmm, I have never had to use any motherboard's warranty so I can't comment on that however I've had some good luck with ASUS boards. From the brands I have used I rank them:

ASUS
Gigabyte
MSi
ECS

For some reason everything I have received from MSi has been defective :( .

Wag

I had two 980tis and just went with a single Titan Xp when it launched.

All I'm playing is VR really, and unless sli-VR magically re-appears or gets wide support, I'll never go back to SLI again (even though in many games it proved to be a great advantage).

Well, 4k gaming so SLI is still valid. That said I don't know if I should auction all 3 cards individually at once. I have an old videocard I have sitting around I can use as backup until I find a FE 1080Ti.

Wallach

Smokey

During my 1 - 1.5 hr play of Mass Effect Andromeda, I averaged about 94fps with everything on Ultra @ 1440p. Card is a beast.

ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC 11 GB review

fannoise_load.png

temp.png

Asus is ok, will probably end up being in the middle of the bunch.

Should probably wait for other reviews as well. Noise measurements can be tricky.

I think you are downplaying how impressive Asus Strix is this time around. 69C and 33dBA for 250W TDP card is very very good. I doubt many other manufacturers will manage to beat it. MSI is still using same old 1080 cooler for 1080Ti, I expect it to run pretty hot, just like MSI 980Ti runs kinda hot because they reused same 980 cooler.

I think you are downplaying how impressive Asus Strix is this time around. 69C and 33dBA for 250W TDP card is very very good. I doubt many other manufacturers will manage to beat it. MSI is still using same old 1080 cooler for 1080Ti, I expect it to run pretty hot, just like MSI 980Ti runs kinda hot because they reused same 980 cooler.
The Twin Frozr VI cooler is one of the best though in terms of cooling vs noise.

laxu

There seems to be very little info out about the upcoming custom cards but thinking of placing a pre-order to try and get in early. What would you guys suggest is the best make/brand to go with? Or are they pretty much all the same?

Looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-001-au.html
but my current Zotac 980TI has similar fans and isn't the quietest, anyone had experience with/would recommend cards with closed loop water cooling? Like
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...raphics-card-c108tb-1sdn-q6mnx-gx-06u-in.html

I'd avoid Inno3D. They are usually first on the market because they don't redesign their coolers to work well with whatever card they are installed on. The watercooled ones might be ok as those are pretty much the same regardless of card.

My last experience of Gigabyte is that the 970 was great, bought a 980 Ti and it was really loud. Returned it for a MSI which has been really nice. The main differences are in coolers really.

Thanks Smokey and badb0y, seems it is time to put the guy to rest. What a god damn great CPU this was.
You guys still feel the same about the bottleneck if the 2500k is OC'ed at 4.8ghz? I forgot to mention that lol
@badb0y: yes some productivity... hard to beat 1700 value

Above: that is some crazy ass card. Imagine what 7nm will bring!

2500k is a bottleneck period, even at 4.8. When I had my 980ti and swapped my 2500k to 6700k I was finally shown that.

Mind you, that upgrade also necessitated a move to DDR4 which also didn't hurt.

Skyr

How do you know so sure that MSI is reusing the same cooler? Just because it has the same visual design as the 1080 on the 2 pictures they released? 970 and 980 look the same either.

It could very well be more advanced. So lets wait for reviews.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So basically we have to wait 2 - 3 for non FE stuff. I hope there is a white card coming. I want one to fit the rest of my build. No big deal if none. Gaming X model seems like the most likely for me.

laxu

MSI had a lot lower fan speeds on the 980 Ti than many others. I sent a Gigabyte 980 Ti back because it was loud as a jet engine. Replaced it with the MSI and it only ran a little bit hotter when overclocked. I'd say the cooler was fine.

How do you know so sure that MSI is reusing the same cooler? Just because it has the same visual design as the 1080 on the 2 pictures they released? 970 and 980 look the same either.

It could very well be more advanced. So lets wait for reviews.

Well early press info for MSI 1080Ti show that it's using TwinFrozrVI and at least visually it looks very similar to the one used with 1080. There is no way to be sure if there are any modifications and improvements made to the cooler until we have reviews.

MSI had a lot lower fan speeds on the 980 Ti than many others. I sent a Gigabyte 980 Ti back because it was loud as a jet engine. Replaced it with the MSI and it only ran a little bit hotter when overclocked. I'd say the cooler was fine.

I also had very similar experience as you, but in the end, I still wasn't entirely satisfied with MSI 980Ti, it still ran pretty hot and loud, although much quieter than Gigabyte card.

spared

Ya know I don't care what kinda benchmark testing these guys do, I swear to God, I always had AMD cards, I've always paid a fraction of the price of all Nvidia card, and YET every SINGLE time I do benchmark testing, I always get much better results than any supposedly well-known www places on the web who are apparently pro at this. I dunno, is it just me or....? And people are ok paying that price just in the name of some supposedly extra power that isn't even there as fas as I can tell? I'm really having a hard time with these, as I play my RX 480 in 4K at high settings and often hit a stable 60 fps... I really really don't get it!

DualEdge

Hey guys, I haven't been following the 1080 ti much until recently, but I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on one. I've been using water-cooled cards for some time now and I'd like to do the same with this card, so here's my question. Is there any real reason to wait for the custom cards if I plan to just throw a waterblock on there anyway? Likewise, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I read that the EVGA FE cards include a DP-to-DVI adapter, are they the only vendor to offer that in the box? I do plan to upgrade my monitor later this year to one that supports 4K, but I do have a 4K TV that I intend to use in the interim.

Ya know I don't care what kinda benchmark testing these guys do, I swear to God, I always had AMD cards, I've always paid a fraction of the price of all Nvidia card, and YET every SINGLE time I do benchmark testing, I always get much better results than any supposedly well-known www places on the web who are apparently pro at this. I dunno, is it just me or....? And people are ok paying that price just in the name of some supposedly extra power that isn't even there as fas as I can tell? I'm really having a hard time with these, as I play my RX 480 in 4K at high settings and often hit a stable 60 fps... I really really don't get it!

I'm not sure how to respond to this post. I am glad you are happy with your RX480, but claiming that all review sites are biased and that RX480 is as good at 4K as 1080Ti is a bit far fetched, to say the least.

spared

I'm not saying it's as good but I can hit the spot. And it's not that I can't afford these cards, I just cannot explain that extra little power you get for that much of a price, because it isn't that much in the end compared to what you pay for somewhere else for pretty close performance. But oh well. Glad I got out of this pointless race years ago too, I'm also glad you guys are quite enjoying your over priced cards.

Skyr

So whats your point exactly? The 1080ti has 2x the performance of a RX480 in 4k.

Are you complaining that it's not just twice as expenive? Thats not how it works.

dr_rus

It looks good, true. I've heard that they've actually made a new cooler for the 1080Ti so it may in fact end up being one of the better custom cards this time. The only issue I have with it is a measly default overclock - seems like you should be able to go higher than +5%.

laxu

I also had very similar experience as you, but in the end, I still wasn't entirely satisfied with MSI 980Ti, it still ran pretty hot and loud, although much quieter than Gigabyte card.

I replaced the cooler on mine with an AIO water cooler but during the time I was testing it with the stock cooler it was much less noisy than the Gigabyte but still not quite as quiet as the two Gigabyte 970s I had before that. In any case the MSI was more than acceptable noise level for me but I had already bought the water cooler so I decided to roll with it instead.

If the ASUS indeed manages that low volume levels even when overclocked then it should be a great card.

It looks good, true. I've heard that they've actually made a new cooler for the 1080Ti so it may in fact end up being one of the better custom cards this time. The only issue I have with it is a measly default overclock - seems like you should be able to go higher than +5%.

The FE cards seem to top at less 2100 clocks when using water cooling so I think it's a limitation of the card or the voltages you can push on it. It remains to be seen if the BIOS can be modded on the custom boards to increase the voltage and power limits. Seems the 10xx series has far less unused potential compared to the 9xx series which had something like 15-20% overclocks on tap.

Zaph

What do you think is more likely, your benchmark methodology is off, or every other "pro" sites are?

Durante

I'm not saying it's as good but I can hit the spot. And it's not that I can't afford these cards, I just cannot explain that extra little power you get for that much of a price, because it isn't that much in the end compared to what you pay for somewhere else for pretty close performance. But oh well. Glad I got out of this pointless race years ago too, I'm also glad you guys are quite enjoying your over priced cards.
You don't sound salty at all.

Pagusas

Elden Member
When is Intels next line of i7 processors coming out, and is it going to be a new chipset?

Kaby Lake *7x00 series* JUST launched not 2 months ago, You have a minimum of a years wait for consumer chips. Honestly with Ryzen falling flat on its face, Intel barely has any presure on them.

dr_rus

When is Intels next line of i7 processors coming out, and is it going to be a new chipset?

Autumn and probably yes although it's unknown if the old ones will be compatible or not.

Talking about Coffee Lake here. Skylake-X will most certainly need a new chipset as it will use a completely new 2066 socket.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know the core lineup of Skylake-X? Still topping out at 10 cores?

There are murmurs that Skylake-X will mark the debut of a 12c/24t SKU in response to AMD's more liberal mainstream offerings, but as far as reputable rumour mills are concerned, my understanding is that they've been quiet even in the wake of Ryzen, which may suggest that Intel is playing the "Wait and see" game.

Top Bottom