• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Pagusas

Elden Member
Even fits with the rest of the colors of your components. Aynway which case is that? I am looking for a decent low profile case like yours.

Its a slightly different red shade which bothers me :p

The case is a Lian Li PC-05SX

riflen

I installed a waterblock this weekend on my EVGA FE card. 2Ghz constant clock and 45 degrees after several hours of BF1 games at QHD 120 fps/hz. I haven't pushed it further yet because performance is more than sufficient for now.
The block I used was a Kryographics Titan XP/1080 Ti full cover from AquaComputer. Excellent quality as usual.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Missed the boat on pre orders. Probably for the best.

Orion514

Is that the list price or are they putting on a premium?

Yeah, that would be the list price. They're not marked down from the EVGA website price.. What I'm hoping for is to get in on the Amazon preorder and hopefully those will be marked down; then just cancel the newegg preorder.

So it seems some MSI cards are having problems keeping cool. Can any of the (lucky) owners here test?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=284166.0

Well this card should be delivered to me tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have an issue with it, but this is concerning.

I don't know when I will install the card, but will keep an eye on that thread. It doesn't help that one of the moderators is getting pretty defensive about it.

Marmelade

MSI armor cooler is basically the 980 ti cooler, which was insufficient in my opinion.

The MSI Gaming X has a new cooler, which is 2.5 slots. Should be much much better.

I briefly had a 1070 Armor and was unimpressed
It could get hot pretty easily
Both the EVGA 1070 SC and Gainward 1070 phoenix (my current card) that I had fared much better while being quieter
Looking at the dimensions, the 1080 Ti Armor cooler might be a little upgraded compared to the 1070/1080 variant but it seems kinda "light" next to the Gaming X, Strix etc

paskowitz

Honestly folks, your best bet for performance, temps/noise/fps, is going to be either a reference model with an EVGA hybrid kit or a FTW hybrid (once that comes out). Cooling a fat die on air is never going to work. Either that or fill your case with fans (higher cost).

I know some people don't have room, but for everyone else...

longdi

Banned
Honestly folks, your best bet for performance, temps/noise/fps, is going to be either a reference model with an EVGA hybrid kit or a FTW hybrid (once that comes out). Cooling a fat die on air is never going to work. Either that or fill your case with fans (higher cost).

I know some people don't have room, but for everyone else...
Yep when running on load, even the biggest metal heatsink won't help if it is enclosed inside a casing, you are just recycling hot air. Sure the custom fans will be quieter (especially on idle load) but a simple 120mm water cooler will work much better.

Water will obviously perform the best, but saying that air coolers simply won't work is way overstating things.

I have 2 Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 tis in a single case, SLI and while they can be noisy because it's not an especially quiet card and it's 2 cards within an inch of each other, the maximum GPU temps I see is mid 70s @ 144 hz 1440p with intensive games. If it was a single card, it would be much quieter and cooler and there are other air cooled cards that are quieter.

Pagusas

Elden Member
MSI armor cooler is basically the 980 ti cooler, which was insufficient in my opinion.

The MSI Gaming X has a new cooler, which is 2.5 slots. Should be much much better.

Indeed, I can confirm the Gaming X, in OC mode (with 117% power) running at 2000mhz core, idles at 32 (I keep the fan running at 25%) and loads at 77c (80% fan).

In silent mode (basically stock) it hovers at 67c full load.

dr_rus

Yep when running on load, even the biggest metal heatsink won't help if it is enclosed inside a casing, you are just recycling hot air. Sure the custom fans will be quieter (especially on idle load) but a simple 120mm water cooler will work much better.

One thing to remember about WC though is that they aren't exactly all completely quiet and can in fact be noisier than some AC solutions in some usage cases.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So it seems some MSI cards are having problems keeping cool. Can any of the (lucky) owners here test?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=284166.0

I've got the armor, and I'll say that yeah - I noticed temps getting higher than I'd like at stock settings.

I was getting to like 87 degrees then decided an overclock wasn't going to be a realistic option.

I didn't check fan RPM but I can check that and see if I'm having the same issue.

Orion514

Yeah, that would be the list price. They're not marked down from the EVGA website price.. What I'm hoping for is to get in on the Amazon preorder and hopefully those will be marked down; then just cancel the newegg preorder.

It looks like EVGA model pre-orders are now in stock at B&H for the reduced price from MSRP and also has Free Expedited Shipping.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

I pre ordered that one and canceled the newegg pre order.

EDIT: Also, no tax (in my state at least which is IL and usually has tax added everywhere lol)

I got an Armor and it is good. My only compliant is that after playing a game it can't get back to 0% fan speed temps (I'm just using the stock fan curve), while my Gaming X 1080 could.

Since the 1080ti is basically a Titan XP, will any aftermarket cooler/waterblock also work on a Titan? I might try the overclock route once I upgrade my cpu later this month.

GodVegeta

Neo Member
Oh god i ordered mine on Amazon germany the minute it got posted for 750€ (awsome price error) and now im waiting for it does anyone know a eu release date yet?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I got an Armor and it is good. My only compliant is that after playing a game it can't get back to 0% fan speed temps (I'm just using the stock fan curve), while my Gaming X 1080 could.

That was the first thing I disabled on my Gaming X lol. The fans are dead silent at 25% and I'd rather the card idle at 32c than the 50c it idles at with no fans on.

Kevin

when will these fucking cards hit amazon usa :mad:

When the 1180ti releases in the other countries. Seriously, most of the custom cards have been released for over a month in other countries so I'm not sure why we are getting nearly nothing here in the USA more then a month later. Not even as much as a release date for most of the custom cards.

When the 1180ti releases in the other countries. Seriously, most of the custom cards have been released for over a month in other countries so I'm not sure why we are getting nearly nothing here in the USA more then a month later. Not even as much as a release date for most of the custom cards.

seriously. I'm annoyed now. I had an FE coming tomorrow but I cancelled it because I saw the cards had product pages on amazon US and they're still not fucking up!!

*triggered*

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why? The card doesn't care if it's 50c.

My case does, it's a mini ITX build and often I'm doing work on it (video editing, animations, corporate work). That 50c gpu is at the bottom the case and rising those temps up to the radiator, with a notacable impact on in case temps, which affects my radiator fan speeds and overall sound the computer makes. I prefer inaudible, which means all the system fans operating at about 25-30%. If the gpu is radiating out 50+ because it's sitting in passive mode, it may be at 0rpms but the rest of my fans in the system are cominsating and increasing to the 35-40% range, bringing them just into the audible range. I could recalibrate them all to let the system heat up, but I really don't want to.

Weevilone

My case does, it's a mini ITX build and often I'm doing work on it (video editing, animations, corporate work). That 50c gpu is at the bottom the case and rising those temps up to the radiator, with a notacable impact on in case temps, which affects my radiator fan speeds and overall sound the computer makes. I prefer inaudible, which means all the system fans operating at about 25-30%. If the gpu is radiating out 50+ because it's sitting in passive mode, it may be at 0rpms but the rest of my fans in the system are cominsating and increasing to the 35-40% range, bringing them just into the audible range. I could recalibrate them all to let the system heat up, but I really don't want to.

I'm probably missing something, but that GPU is dumping the same amount of energy into your case whether it's passively or actively cooled. Either way your case fans have to get that out. I suppose you're saying the GPU fan distributes that energy better through the case, so as to not trigger some particular thermal sensor?

I want to upgrade my graphics card so bad, but I'm seriously afraid of buying one. As in, that it will be easily replaced later this year. And that we will soon have games in the next year or so that will be impossible to run at 4K 60FPS on this card. I think in my mind, I want something that is guaranteed to run 60 FPS @ 4K for the next 2 or 3 years. I know, that's asking a lot, or I'm just overreacting and just an idiot. Either or.

twisted89

I want to upgrade my graphics card so bad, but I'm seriously afraid of buying one. As in, that it will be easily replaced later this year. And that we will soon have games in the next year or so that will be impossible to run at 4K 60FPS on this card. I think in my mind, I want something that is guaranteed to run 60 FPS @ 4K for the next 2 or 3 years. I know, that's asking a lot, or I'm just overreacting and just an idiot. Either or.

There's always something new just around the corner, if you wait then you'll never buy one.

Kevin

There are already plenty of games that can't do 60 frames at 4k on this card if your planning on maxing settings. Won't see a card that can hold up that well against 4k gaming with a 2-3 life span for many years.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm probably missing something, but that GPU is dumping the same amount of energy into your case whether it's passively or actively cooled. Either way your case fans have to get that out. I suppose you're saying the GPU fan distributes that energy better through the case, so as to not trigger some particular thermal sensor?

The gpu fan pulls in air from the lower vents in the case, when its not active very little air is pulled in, so instead of the suction power of the fans pulling in some outside air and cooling the gpu, the gpu just acts as a heating element and slowly raises the case temp without any extra air flow (a problem with the Lian Li case, only a single intake fan and its BELOW the motherboard, so only the top half of the case gets any air flow from it, but its not a good source as the mobo tray blocks most of it).

Basically the case is meant to be mostly passively cooled and naturally breathing, but it doesnt do a good job when combined with overclocked parts. I will be making a modification to it soon by adding 3 92mm fans to the bottom panel, that will operate at a low RPM but supply a new intake area for the case. I'm waiting on a drill press to arrive as its impossible to cut aluminum cleanly by hand I've found.

Pagusas

Elden Member

It'll do 4k/60 for years to come so long as you can sacrifice some settings. Additionally resolution scaling is becoming more common in games, like Mass Effect. I was jumping between 50-60fps in a lot of scenes so I dropped the scaling level to a bit and now its a locked 60 (and on a 75" screen sitting 8ft away, I cant tell, so its all good to me)

I look at it this way, in 1 year I imagine we will see Volta. going by history, this TI will either equal an gtx1180 or be a bit faster than a gtx1170. The gtx1180 will cost $600, likely $700 if you want one at launch. The 1170 will be $500, more at launch. So for the same price as those you are getting a card that you'll enjoy for a year longer, wont have to upgrade next year, and will likely take you all the way to the 12xx gen before it starts falling out of the high end charts. So you've got a minimum of 2 years of top of the line performance, 3 - 4 years of good performance, and by year 4 you should be jumping to a new GPU anyway.

kaioshade

Are the non reference cards that much better? Or would a reference blower style be alright, im seeing so many different opinions on the matter.

Using a mini itx case (define nano s) with good airflow in it.

i ordered an aorus, it's actually smaller then my current card based on the dimensions (asus strix 980 ti)

is a 600w power supply enough to power this thing? is gigabyte aorus a good brand? i have time to cancel it if not, appreciate the input!

my current mobo is gigabyte and ive been happy with it

kuYuri

i ordered an aorus, it's actually smaller then my current card based on the dimensions (asus strix 980 ti)

is a 600w power supply enough to power this thing? is gigabyte aorus a good brand? i have time to cancel it if not, appreciate the input!

my current mobo is gigabyte and ive been happy with it

It's Gigabyte's high end GPU brand, I would hope so...

Weevilone

Are the non reference cards that much better? Or would a reference blower style be alright, im seeing so many different opinions on the matter.

Using a mini itx case (define nano s) with good airflow in it.

The non-reference folks would die before using a reference card and the reference people are either using custom cooling, or they think there's a lot of hyperbole out there.

Two of my last 3 non-reference cards had issues, either in design or build. One was a DOA MSi card, while the other was a recent FTW 1080 that had cooling problems EVGA had to clean up. That's a long story though and also overblown. While I'm sure this isn't most people's experience, I have found reference to be a safer bet personally. Yes you're going to hear air moving but I guess having lived thru the days where the cards were stupidly loud in general, I don't find it to be an issue. Another factor for me is that the other 2 PCs in my home don't have cases and/or cooling to handle non-reference very well, so FE cards work better for hand-me-downs.

How are your temps, and what type of case do you have? If you don't mind sharing. Just want to get a sense of what to expect.

Torokil

Somewhat related question, but is a GPU or CPU more important for hitting higher framerates? I'm looking to upgrade my PC for the very first time (will by a 1080 TI if I have to upgrade my GPU) because I can't hit 144 constant on all low settings in Doom.

Just ordered this:

msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_1489415746000_1324403.jpg

And this:

evga_400_hy_5388_b1_hybrid_all_in_one_geforce_titan_1491322844000_1331535.jpg

Should be here by Friday. Extremely excited.

So I got a Gaming X on order Friday night and selected next business day and it's still out to be delivered.... Meanwhile I ordered a Aorus this morning at 6am and got it delivered within 4 hours while paying less for shipping costs.

Newegg is interesting sometimes.

How are your temps, and what type of case do you have? If you don't mind sharing. Just want to get a sense of what to expect.

I have a Fractal R4 and I have the computer in a side cabinet (I value low sound over everything) so thermally I don't don't have the best set up but my card idles at like 37 celcius but gets up to 80 playing games (1440p monitor if that matters). After playing a game it'll usually be in the 45-ish range

Those Hybrid kits must have sold out in minutes - you were super fortunate to get one, apparently. Booo.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure if I was gonna get a 1080 Ti or not. Then I got a notification email from EVGA for the hybrid kit as I was leaving work & I had to jump on it.

Top Bottom