• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Corsair were nice enough to send the thing International Priority even with standard shipping so Fedex delivered it this morning.

Got it all installed. +75 MHz on core, 1847 on Furmark, 2037 on Heaven topping out at a peak of 56 degrees. The whole setup is ridiculously quiet.

I'm sure I'm just being stupid about this, but considering a lot of people have water cooled CPU rigs, where the heck are you supposed to put the radiator and fan if you already have one for the PC?

Weevilone

I'm sure I'm just being stupid about this, but considering a lot of people have water cooled CPU rigs, where the heck are you supposed to put the radiator and fan if you already have one for the PC?

Guess that would depend on your case and the existing water cooling config.

If it's a custom loop then you're buying the wrong video card. If it's a separate AIO then you need multiple case fan locations to mount the radiator/fan assembly.

I have an Air 740 case. I can put both 120mm radiators on the intake.

AjVj9CX.jpg

I think the exhaust would be a much better place for the GPU radiator, or else you'll be putting a lot of hot air into your case.

The GPU and CPU are the vast majority of the power usage and heat. There's barely any heat load left inside the case. Maybe 50-60W from VRAM, RAM, and VRMs.

I'm feeling a bit pissy.

I just got an Aorus Xtreme and these are my temps with a very high fan curve.

Does this seem normal?

I can't add anything more to the core clock without crashes and I adding to the memory clock only adds about 30Mhz per every 100Mhz I add manually.

tuna_love

Banned
I'm feeling a bit pissy.

Does this seem normal?

I can't add anything more to the core clock without crashes and I adding to the memory clock only adds about 30Mhz per every 100Mhz I add manually.
how big is your case?

I'm gonna be in the US for all of June and am hoping to pick a card up before I fly back home. I have a Corsair Carbide Air 240 chassis which is quite small, so I'm confused about which non-founder's edition card would fit in that without any issues. Also, how come most of these are still out of stock everywhere I check? Will this be better by June?

Sky Chief

I'm feeling a bit pissy.

Does this seem normal?

That doesn't seem normal to me

And exhaust?

One of the stock fans as exhaust in the back. It only drops 3°-5°C if I add a side fan vent. I stupidly had the voltage raised which was part of my high temp problem.

However, NOT part of the temp problem is this:

Blue screens at stock everything. 30 minutes or so of bench marks causes windows to crash.

Newegg only offers exchanges and they don't have any more in stock. Gigabyte customer support was abysmal. Lesson learned: never again.

Rur0ni

One of the stock fans as exhaust in the back. It only drops 3°-5°C if I add a side fan vent. I stupidly had the voltage raised which was part of my high temp problem.

Blue screens at stock everything. 30 minutes or so of bench marks causes windows to crash.

Newegg only offers exchanges and they don't have any more in stock. Gigabyte customer support was abysmal. Lesson learned: never again.
Consistent blue screens are definitely indicative of a problem. Do you have the error message by chance?

Pagusas

Elden Member

Newegg should give you a refund if they don't have replacement stock.

Weevilone

Check with your credit card company. Many of them will reimburse you for products if the vendor won't take them back.

Mine requires something in writing from the vendor, and they may also cap the amount of the transaction.

teiresias

I'm feeling a bit pissy.

Does this seem normal?

The temp seems fairly abnormal, but honestly, I don't see the point in complaining about clocks already in excess of the OC boost the card is sold as meeting. At that point you're playing the silicone lottery, and I honestly don't know what case beyond the temperature you can make for an RMA. What's the temp it runs at without a manual OC applied?

My Gaming X seems to sit lower out-of-the-box at boost than most (about 1900), though I've raised it +60 to about 1945 boost most of the time with power limit maxed, but I haven't really tried to push it much higher (nor have I even messed with memory). The performance delta with my old 980 (non-Ti) is still substantial.

bardia

They refuse to. The best they could do is issue a store credit.

Word of warning: do NOT buy the Aorus.

I have the same case and card as you and I have 0 problems, could just be bad luck. Have you tried using the program that comes with the going to overclock. It allows you to set the power to 150%. Not sure if precision X allows that.

I have the same case and card as you and I have 0 problems, could just be bad luck. Have you tried using the program that comes with the going to overclock. It allows you to set the power to 150%. Not sure if precision X allows that.

Precision X does allow that. Note: this card needs a bios flash in order to unlock that feature.

But it's beside the point. The card blue screens with or without any type of OC. It bluescreens quickly, and gets quite hot when set to OC mode using the Aorus utility.

Waiting for another bluescreen to give you guys the error message. I took a picture of one but it's not the one I get most often WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is the one I snapped a pic of.

Something something kernal is what I see more often when I get the BSOD.

The Dude

Precision X does allow that. Note: this card needs a bios flash in order to unlock that feature.

But it's beside the point. The card blue screens with or without any type of OC. It bluescreens quickly, and gets quite hot when set to OC mode using the Aorus utility.

Waiting for another bluescreen to give you guys the error message. I took a picture of one but it's not the one I get most often WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is the one I snapped a pic of.

Every now and then people will get bad cards, I have an Aorus and it's running really well and really cool. I hate Newegg new gpu policy tho. But imho exchange it, a good aorus is a really good gpu. 4k@60hz with Temps mid 50s is pretty damn awesome.

Every now and then people will get bad cards, I have an Aorus and it's running really well and really cool. I hate Newegg new gpu policy tho. But imho exchange it, a good aorus is a really good gpu. 4k@60hz with Temps mid 50s is pretty damn awesome.

I'm nowhere close to this.

They refuse to give me a refund. I can't do an exchange because they don't have another of these cards available. Their refund policy states that they will issue a refund if they don't have a replacement in stock.

They don't have a replacement in stock, all they're offering is store credit. I'm opening a dispute with my CC company.

Grassy

I think "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" is a CPU error, I'm guessing your CPU is overclocked?

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS lately? I'd give that a go and/or reset your BIOS to default settings and see how you go. If that fails to work then maybe try the basics like reseating your RAM and GPU and checking all connections on your motherboard are firmly in place.

You could also try the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool(assuming you have an Intel CPU of course) - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I'd also uninstall EVGA Precision X and install MSI Afterburner instead, but that's me.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

The Dude

I'm nowhere close to this.

They refuse to give me a refund. I can't do an exchange because they don't have another of these cards available. Their refund policy states that they will issue a refund if they don't have a replacement in stock.

They don't have a replacement in stock, all they're offering is store credit. I'm opening a dispute with my CC company.

Yea that sucks. Haven't checked any of the stocks lately but not considering getting the refund and ordering anther or a different gpu when they come in Stock? Sucks either way, but I can't see a cc dispute going super quick overall

Yea that sucks. Haven't checked any of the stocks lately but not considering getting the refund and ordering anther or a different gpu when they come in Stock? Sucks either way, but I can't see a cc dispute going super quick overall

I already played the game where I waited for what I wanted to come into stock and sniped it. That's the stock situation these cards are at right now. We're talking 2-3 days of waiting for my card to get there, 5+ days for them to process it, and 3+ days for them to ship me a new card ONCE something I want comes back into stock. Fuck that noise. The time I left out is the ???? number of days I need to wait for an MSI or Asus card to come into stock when they're regularly in stock at my local Micro Center.

I think "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" is a CPU error, I'm guessing your CPU is overclocked?

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS lately? I'd give that a go and/or reset your BIOS to default settings and see how you go. If that fails to work then maybe try the basics like reseating your RAM and GPU and checking all connections on your motherboard are firmly in place.

You could also try the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool(assuming you have an Intel CPU of course) - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I'd also uninstall EVGA Precision X and install MSI Afterburner instead, but that's me.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

I've done all of this and NONE of this was an issue when I ran a reference 1080 Ti.

Even if the issue were CPU related.... that doesn't explain why the card runs so damn hot. :/

Rur0ni

Not sure what your board config is, but if it's not an -E platform you should have onboard video, you could give that a whirl (and remove the 1080 Ti) just to be certain your bluescreens aren't coming from something else unexpectedly.

Not sure what your board config is, but if it's not an -E platform you should have onboard video, you could give that a whirl (and remove the 1080 Ti) just to be certain your bluescreens aren't coming from something else unexpectedly.

Yeah, but I've validated the shit out of everything with both a 1080 and a 1080 Ti reference and that still wouldn't cause the heat issue I seem to have.

Rur0ni

Yeah, but I've validated the shit out of everything with both a 1080 and a 1080 Ti reference and that still wouldn't cause the heat issue I seem to have.
Perhaps I misunderstood you. The heat issue you have is most likely the card, sure. I'm just saying the heat issue with the card and the blue screens you're having now don't necessarily have to be related. So you've tested with a different card since the blue screens, or no?

Weevilone

I already played the game where I waited for what I wanted to come into stock and sniped it. That's the stock situation these cards are at right now. We're talking 2-3 days of waiting for my card to get there, 5+ days for them to process it, and 3+ days for them to ship me a new card ONCE something I want comes back into stock. Fuck that noise. The time I left out is the ???? number of days I need to wait for an MSI or Asus card to come into stock when they're regularly in stock at my local Micro Center.

Just remember that Newegg may blacklist you once you do the credit card dispute.

Also just read another post on HardOCP where the user returned his Gigabyte 1080Ti to Newegg and they gave him a refund. Adding link as courtesy.

Auros 1080ti Xtreme Unstable

Macattk15

I'm feeling a bit pissy.

Does this seem normal?

Have an Aorus non-Xtreme edition.

Ran the same Heaven bench with the same settings ... well at 1440p not 1080p.

2025Mhz and 5505Mhz.

Highest the Temp ever got was 73 degrees and highest the fans went up to was 60%.

Just remember that Newegg may blacklist you once you do the credit card dispute.

Also just read another post on HardOCP where the user returned his Gigabyte 1080Ti to Newegg and they gave him a refund. Adding link as courtesy.

Auros 1080ti Xtreme Unstable

Thank you. They're still refusing to issue a refund. Offering only a store credit and acting as if that's doing me a favor when they're completely out of stock on the higher end cards.

I'm going to open a dispute with my CC company. I don't care if they blacklist me from their site: this is the only purchase I've made on newegg in years and you can bet your ass that I will NEVER be purchasing from them ever again.

Not liking those noise levels. Hope the FTW3 reviews better. Starting to lean towards to the Aorus, but I figure I can be patient a few more weeks, see how everything reviews against eachother.

He did say that the default fan profile is a bit on the high side so you could improve noise levels a bit by changing it.

Weevilone

Not liking those noise levels. Hope the FTW3 reviews better. Starting to lean towards to the Aorus, but I figure I can be patient a few more weeks, see how everything reviews against eachother.

Seemed like it reviewed well. He explained that due to marketing concerns they are cooling the VRMs more than necessary. Makes sense after all the flak last card.

Cooling the card more than the competition means more noise. It's easy enough to tweak the fan profile.

samred

To everyone here who's been playing with a 1080 Ti, I'd love your thoughts.

I have a system whose case is small and great in terms of default airflow, so, no room for an additional fan. I am testing a 1080 Ti Founders Edition for a little while and am playing with MSI Afterburner settings, especially since the Founders Edition is designed to never go above, like, 50% fan speed. Anybody got a recommendation for fan curve settings and overclocks, using Afterburner? I've found some tips online (120% power, +175 MHz to clock, +500 MHz to memory), but I'm looking for a second opinion or other tweak suggestions. This Founders Edition seems ripe for overclocking and tweaking, since it self-throttles so much by default.

Weevilone

To everyone here who's been playing with a 1080 Ti, I'd love your thoughts.

I have a system whose case is small and great in terms of default airflow, so, no room for an additional fan. I am testing a 1080 Ti Founders Edition for a little while and am playing with MSI Afterburner settings, especially since the Founders Edition is designed to never go above, like, 50% fan speed. Anybody got a recommendation for fan curve settings and overclocks, using Afterburner? I've found some tips online (120% power, +175 MHz to clock, +500 MHz to memory), but I'm looking for a second opinion or other tweak suggestions. This Founders Edition seems ripe for overclocking and tweaking, since it self-throttles so much by default.

Mine seems fine with default power, the fan profile that's built into MSI Afterburner, and +160 clock, +400 memory. Honestly I haven't put a ton of time into tweaking it, and every card is going to be different anyways. You just have to experiment for yourself.

Seemed like it reviewed well. He explained that due to marketing concerns they are cooling the VRMs more than necessary. Makes sense after all the flak last card.

Cooling the card more than the competition means more noise. It's easy enough to tweak the fan profile.

They are also from what I've heard higher RPM fans so 50% fan speed on them is a lot higher than 50% fan speed on other cards.

laxu

Either the back of the case fan slot, down in the front or on the "floor" of the case. Usually the AIO coolers don't have long enough pipes to mount in the case ceiling. Back of the case is ideal but might interfere if you have a bigass air cooler for the CPU. On my previous case I had to mount the radiator fan outside the case to fit it in this setup. On my current case I put the GPU radiator in front in a push/pull configuration with two fans.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Anybody just get an email from EVGA making them an 'elite' member, and an opportunity to upgrade the Ti FTW 3 order to an ELITE version? Apparently, the ship May 22nd.

I think I'll get the black or green one

jacket320

Anybody just get an email from EVGA making them an 'elite' member, and an opportunity to upgrade the Ti FTW 3 order to an ELITE version? Apparently, the ship May 22nd.

I think I'll get the black or green one

I just got the email too. Only difference are the colors?

Weevilone

I just got the email too. Only difference are the colors?

Yeah it's just a color difference.

I'm probably dumb but I upgraded mine to black. The colors are nice, but just black looked good I thought.

Of course my case has no window, thus the "I'm probably dumb" part. I mostly did it because it will delay shipment until 5/22 so I can check out reviews and perhaps cancel and roll with my 1080FE from step-up.

They refuse to give me anything but a store credit.

I also got mine during the first wave when stock for 1080tis was hard to come by. Probably why they refunded me instead of waiting for restocks. Surprised they did it for me and not for you. I am a newegg premier member, not that that should make a difference.

Jin

Gamers Nexus posted a review of Titan Xp and compared it to 1080 Ti:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2892-nvidia-titan-xp-review-vs-1080-ti-benchmark/page-5

The thing is, at $200 per percentage point gained in some of these games, it’s a pretty tough argument. You’re talking differences that are nearly obscured by standard deviation test-to-test, even when accounting for excursions from the mean; in fact, in some cases, the AIB partner model 1080 Ti cards clock high enough that performance is effectively identical to the Titan Xp. This becomes even more true when accounting for manufacturing variance chip-to-chip.

Overclocking does keep the TiXp on top of the charts, but it’s often minimal. Sniper Elite is the only game where the TiXp saw any reasonable lead over the 1080 Ti, but even then, it’s not a good bargain.

If buying this for the extra 1GB VRAM for code execution with neural nets and deep learning, we’d advise looking up reviews for that application. This card may well be a performance king in that department, particularly at the price. For our audience, though, we simply cannot recommend the Titan Xp for gaming use cases. A 1080 Ti makes far more sense.

Top Bottom