• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Russian govt drops student exchange program after gay teen seeks asylum in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The victims blaming in this thread makes me sick. But I really shouldn't be surprised.

It's fucking appalling.

Also, a lot of people here seem to have a really bizarre idea about changing country legally. Not sure where everyone is getting the idea that it would be simple to relocate from Russia to US as an 18 year old. Kid made the right move.

You mean we don't hand out green cards like candy?!

Honestly, it almost sounds like a bunch of Russian propaganda in here. 'He broke the law!' 'He only had to wait one more year!' 'He selfishly ruined the exchange program for other people by forcing Putin to cancel it!' 'Think of his mother!' Etc.

Mashing

Yes,he's 17. He can be emancipated if it comes to that. It happens all the time. Being from a foreign country makes it a little more trickier, but doable.

I did not realize that was the case. Thanks for the clarification.

Being openly anti west and anti American is probably just a populist move in Russia right now. Russians are seemingly desperate to appear to be strong internationally and have "values" that are superior. Who can say what the reality is but as ever it's the popular fantasy and desire to prove a point that is dangerous.

Starviper

Being openly anti west and anti American is probably just a populist move in Russia right now. Russians are seemingly desperate to appear to be strong internationally and have "values" that are superior. Who can say what the reality is but as ever it's the popular fantasy and desire to prove a point that is dangerous.

Why do you think what the kid did is wrong? Obviously, if he is gay, he would be persecuted living in Russia. That's a perfect example of what Asylum is for. WTF at some of the people blaming the victim in this thread.

Why do you think what the kid did is wrong? Obviously, if he is gay, he would be persecuted living in Russia. That's a perfect example of what Asylum is for. WTF at some of the people blaming the victim in this thread.

I didn't say that. With things like this I don't really know if is sensible to say if what this kid did is right or wrong or even if the public details of what happened are accurate.

Iph

Banned
Every time I hear a news story on some new anti-gay Russian incident, the first thing that comes to mind is how their birth rates have been dropping for years in the past and are only barely at even keel now. Obviously, there's more reasons behind the discrimination and hate, but it makes me wonder if they somehow think if they "outlaw" couples who cannot naturally produce children that it will make the country grow stronger.. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom