• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

So based off that reddit post it's even worse for glasses users than with the devkits?

What in the hell? Did Oculus try to intentionally fuck everything up?

BrettWeir

Not just possibly but tomorrow is the day.

Unfortunately, nobody is sure about it. I mean...Palmer clearly said "Shipping update: Kickstarter Rifts will start arriving Mon, pre-orders start shipping mid-week (likely Wed) and will arrive this week too."

With how disastrous the communication has been from them leading up to launch, I'm not going to believe anything until I see people starting to get charged.

So based off that reddit post it's even worse for glasses users than with the devkits?

What in the hell? Did Oculus try to intentionally fuck everything up?

Unfortunately it seems so. They need to get a face plate spacer for glasses wearers out immediately imo.

So I'm assuming that my rift will be shipping soon. Is it possible for me to view the store and start buying/downloading games? I would hate to get my rift and then wait for the games to download. I want to be as prepared as possible.

Yep, you can download Home now and start downloading games.

I guess I don't know the specifics of what you are referring to but I'm at a loss at what journalism has to do with a launch day livestream.

It was a jab at the "game journalism" meme raging some time ago.

While I agree with your other point, the stream was a pain to watch, as someone who already has tried VR.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It was a jab at the "game journalism" meme raging some time ago.

While I agree with your other point, the stream was a pain to watch, as someone who already has tried VR.

Gotcha. I was confused because outside of Austin Walker, I don't think any of the staff at GB would seriously refer to themselves as journalists.

I have not tried VR yet so maybe that's where the divide is between the viewership?

I fought the urge to write rift in place of divide.

LaneDS

Just played about 45 minutes of Firma, and that's a pretty cool thing. Some of the mission design is pretty bland (pick up thing, bring thing to other thing, stop to get fuel) but it's fun moving the lander around and the checkpoint/race stuff is pretty cool. It's early access, and $10, so wasn't expecting too much on that front and can see it being built up into something pretty alright for that price.

Unfortunately it seems so. They need to get a face plate spacer for glasses wearers out immediately imo.

Can't see it happening anytime soon, small matter of actually shipping some Rifts to people that have paid lol. To be honest any glasses wearer should flip their Rifts as soon as possible and actually get something back as they can't use them.

TheRed

If I buy Project Cars on Oculus Store will I be able to play the game outside of the Rift ever, will they provide a steam key for it?

Has anyone got any opinions on alien isolation VR?

Would it even work? It'd be using a different version of the sdk, right?

Unfortunately it won't. I'd assume it's likely that they'll update it at some point, given how unnecessary DK2 support was at the time (and they bothered to do that). Neat experience, although I can't say it worked super well.

I'm sure it's been covered in this thread by now, but FWIW none of the games with DK2 support will function with CV1 without an update.

Krejlooc

Banned
There are actually drivers that will make the cv1 compatible with previous sdk titles going back to 0.6. Only problem is they aren't public.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Unfortunately it won't. I'd assume it's likely that they'll update it at some point, given how unnecessary DK2 support was at the time (and they bothered to do that). Neat experience, although I can't say it worked super well.

I'm sure it's been covered in this thread by now, but FWIW none of the games with DK2 support will function with CV1 without an update.

They being CA? Are they the ones that put it in? I always assumed it was modded. If it was semi official that's cool. I would love to see them fix the Rippley model so it worked better when looking around or during death animations.

harSon

Banned
At this point I wish I could get motion sickness if that means I could successfully install and run it :p

How's the character animation and lip sync/VO? Most interested to see how that panned out in the final build.

No idea.

The beginning starts out in some green tinted Matrix-esque virtual world, and you walk to some orb which transports you to the apartment. After walking around the apartment a bit, it became clear that my insides were dying :p

From the little I played, it's dripping with atmosphere and the sound design is pretty great. I'll give it a go tonight, after I pick up some Dramamine from the store lmao

Wallach

My CH flight setup stuff arrived today.

Still missing the important bit, however...
C7hF3wG.png

What is the performance like with Elite on a 980 Ti, is it enough to run the game no problem with the rift? It's the only game I would be interested in playing, well until they manage to get Arma 3 working with it.

You probably haven't followed the other thread were trying to critizice Giant Bomb's stream resulted in some users saying that we cannot complain since they're just giving their opinion.

Even though they're using something in the wrong way. I was making fun of that (maybe failing to do so, you tell me xD).

I think you know what to expect from Giant Bomb, they are their own thing. I thought their stream was good. If you want something less Giant Bomb, wait for the CNET video or something, can't moan about something when that something is already expected and a known quantity.

They being CA? Are they the ones that put it in? I always assumed it was modded. If it was semi official that's cool. I would love to see them fix the Rippley model so it worked better when looking around or during death animations.

Yup, it was Creative Assembly's doing. Pretty cool of them to release it at all; I think it was from when the were doing show floor demos of the game with DK2.

p2535748

Can you please make a mini review of the hud and text readability in Elite when you play it ?

Thanks.

I just tried out Elite for a bit. The text in the HUD is perfectly readable. You have to sort of glance at the power readouts, because they're a little off screen, but it's easy to look down quickly, and you can tell what's going on with a quick glance. Otherwise, the HUD's great in VR, and (as with previous iterations), being able to glance to the side for navigation and comms makes life so much easier.

The one issue is that Elite has more of the lens effects than anything I've seen. It's only a little noticeable on the actual HUD, but when you bring up the menus in game, it's very noticeable (the orange highlight of the text really flares out). I don't think it's distracting in game, but the bright hud on the black starfield definitely causes the effect a bit.

hymanator

It's a shame that games on the Oculus store aren't cross-buy with their respective Gear VR versions. There are several games I already bought that I wish I could compare.

Where are the OT's for Oculus Launch games? And reviews for that matter?

The only one that got one is Adr1ft I believe (which I don't think is even VR only), and the reception for that hasn't been stellar. Yeah this been kind of a sad launch in terms of hoopla here. I feel like OTs for the rest could stand to go up once the first batch of pre-orders go out, cause right now there's so little people with CV1s to comment, unless they're using a DK2 that is.

Enordash

The only one that got one is Adr1ft I believe (which I don't think is even VR only), and the reception for that hasn't been stellar. Yeah this been kind of a sad launch in terms of hoopla here. I feel like OTs for the rest could stand to go up once the first batch of pre-orders go out, cause right now there's so little people with CV1s to comment, unless they're using a DK2 that is.

I would like to see some more solid scores on the VR games. Some sites are putting up impressions. Some are giving a list of the best games with no real scoring system. It certainly feels different from a console launch. Since reviewers really didn't have their hands on these games early, maybe they'll all come in time.

TheRed

but only if you own all of the DLC, unfortunately.

Though their question was the other way around. No, I have not heard of anyone giving Steam Keys for Oculus Home Purchases.

Yeah I hope it's something that happens, I really want to try Project Cars but dont want to really spend 50 to have more limited options of how to play the game.

I just tried out Elite for a bit. The text in the HUD is perfectly readable. You have to sort of glance at the power readouts, because they're a little off screen, but it's easy to look down quickly, and you can tell what's going on with a quick glance. Otherwise, the HUD's great in VR, and (as with previous iterations), being able to glance to the side for navigation and comms makes life so much easier.

The one issue is that Elite has more of the lens effects than anything I've seen. It's only a little noticeable on the actual HUD, but when you bring up the menus in game, it's very noticeable (the orange highlight of the text really flares out). I don't think it's distracting in game, but the bright hud on the black starfield definitely causes the effect a bit.

Amazing !

Thanks !

robotrock

Banned
On the Giant Bomb stream, they mentioned an issue where Elite looked a bit too "zoomed in".

Is that the case? Or did they miss a setting or something?

Oculus is coming out with a facial interface (aka, the foam which sits on your face) which is meant for glasses. For whatever reason it doesn't come with it and will likely be available soon. That will make using glasses much better most likely.

I hope they make it available for just the cost of shipping to the KS backers who already got our Rifts.

I need to order some cables to sort out how to connect my TV and Rift at the same time anyways. So I can wait a bit and see what they have planned. They really need to have a foam that's designed for glasses wearers.

Gotcha. I was confused because outside of Austin Walker, I don't think any of the staff at GB would seriously refer to themselves as journalists.

I have not tried VR yet so maybe that's where the divide is between the viewership?

I fought the urge to write rift in place of divide.

xD

Having tried VR is definitely the great divide; especially having tried VR in a controlled environment, having had the time to adjust and properly calibrate the experience.

It's a make or break deal.

I think you know what to expect from Giant Bomb, they are their own thing. I thought their stream was good. If you want something less Giant Bomb, wait for the CNET video or something, can't moan about something when that something is already expected and a known quantity.

I agree; I'm bitching about the stream because of its reception; even though it's a known quantity, many users here took as gospel. But enough with that already.

p2535748

On the Giant Bomb stream, they mentioned an issue where Elite looked a bit too "zoomed in".

Is that the case? Or did they miss a setting or something?

I think that might be a matter of them just not being used to it. It is a little more zoomed in than on a monitor, but that's the way the game is designed, and it doesn't really cause a problem. As I said in my other post, stuff like the power distribution is a bit of screen, but it's not hard to glance down at, and the cost of that is more than made up for by the convenience of being able to pull up nav and comms just by looking to the side.

Enordash

I personally came away with a positive outlook after the GB stream. They did seem pretty convinced that the Rift was a nice piece of tech. They were just slightly disappointed at the launch lineup. Launch lineups rarely include incredible, polished games. I'm sure they will evolve greatly in the next year or two.

People seem to be giving up on the Rift so easily. It sucks that we have to wait for Touch, but it's coming and impressions are very positive. We've been getting solid reports that room-scale will be totally acceptable with the Rift as well. The launch has certainly had problems, but I hope it's not a ghost town in here next week.

Cimarron

Blood and bloody ashes!!! Looks like the latest Rift update has broken Steamvr from being able to detect the DK2. I couldn't get Elite to launch in SteamVR. Now i have to download the oculus version. Is there a work around for this?

Alright played some more stuff (keep in mind on dk2)...

Valkyrie: Maybe it's due to playing E:D but I really wasn't that wowed by this one, the cockpit design was pretty uninspired, controls are tight but I prefer the weighty feeling of the Elite ones. Overall art style and asset quality was way more pared down than I was expecting, then again maybe that's how you gotta do it in a game like this for 90 fps at the spec Home requires. I didn't spend a ton of time with this one, honestly I was kind of bored by it, and I do love me some dogfights.

Farlands: Pokemon Snap style gameplay, you're an alien anthropologist tasked with studying behavior of various animal species on a planet, forming bonds with them, finding out what their needs are etc. Out of all the games I've played this is by far the best looking, great animation too. Granted you're in smallish environments with little else going on aside from 1-2 creatures in front of you but what detail there is is impressive. Also you get a zoomed out view of the region you're in with a miniaturized landscape and critters roaming about, leaning in to look at them diorama style is pretty cool. Will definitely be coming back to this one later as it uses a real time clock with different behaviors dependent on day/night. Also I'm pretty sure comedian Maria Bamford does the VO of the robot helper :p

Lost: Another short in the vein of Henry, pretty much Iron Giant: The VR Experience set in a forest. Great animation and sense of scale, but very short. Can't complain too much as it's free.

Oculus Dreamdeck: A series of scenes with no interaction, some with just the environment like a to scale Gotham style city with you perched at the edge of a steel girder looking around, or a miniature city with tiny cars and aircraft buzzing about. The latter was my favorite, miniature anything just looks so cool in VR. I just wanted to start picking stuff up god sim style and flinging it about. Overall the shorts weren't that interesting, just brief glimpses into different worlds.

Still can't get Technolust to install otherwise would give a run down of that, will report back if I can get it to.

I will say this, when I was in Henry's home I had that instinctual desire to reach out and touch the environment, it's just so strong with low persistence. Really wish Touch was available/ready :/ Coming off using the Gear for awhile with relatively the same ecosystem experience has me wanting more. Still eager to use the actual CV1, especially for the tracking improvements and those integrated cans. Friday can't get here fast enough.

Wait, you can use the DK2 with all the oculus store stuff? You can see the oculus store on DK2?

Correct, but some games don't work on it (Technolust for me), and I had a ton of general functionality issues with it earlier but it seems to be playing nice for now. If you've got one give it a whirl, Lucky's Tale looks fantastic even on that old thing.

Bizzquik

Hi all.
Out of the box, there is a mode for watching movies in a virtual representation of a movie theater.

Based on similar idea, I remember reading that Valve was creating a faux 'Living Room' for playing games while using Steam (with any VR headset).

My Question: is there a Living Room mode for playing games on a virtual 21:9 television? Or, if I want to play games in said virtual Living Room - is the television forced to a generic resolution of 16:9...?

My Rift is to arrive soon. One of the first things I would *like* to do is play a third-person game in 21:9 faux VR, or even three-monitor surround faux VR.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom