• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimarron

I stuck my head right into the tunnel in one of the caves. The biggest improvement from DK2 to Rift are in descending order: positional tracking, audio, framerate and then image quality last.

That's disappointing. :( I was hoping for the opposite. The consumer level software looks and plays well on the DK2 so far. I am impressed. Tracking is still a bit janky but great nonetheless. I wonder if the tracking camera and touch controllers will be sold separately? That would be nice if I could supplement my Vive with Rift stuff if wrappers are crappy.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
It also doesn't help that GB played most of their games like idiots. ::snip::

I agree.

With that said, when they did play games properly like AirMech (which I had ZERO interest in before) it completely sold me. I will be picking up AirMech for sure. The GB Vs. Palmer Luckey online matches were fun to watch and the game looks like a lot of fun.

It is too bad that they didn't give some of the other games a proper chance.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's disappointing. :( I was hoping for the opposite. The consumer level software looks and plays well on the DK2 so far. I am impressed. Tracking is still a bit janky but great nonetheless. I wonder if the tracking camera and touch controllers will be sold separately? That would be nice if I could supplement my Vive with Rift stuff if wrappers are crappy.

the CV1 headset itself has the receiver for touch, you need CV1 to use Touch.

spannicus

This whole release issue sucks. Must not have been ready for the high amount of preorders or something. Kickstarters get it free and first which is cool, time to throw everyone else a bone instead of being so vague about things.

I want someone to talk in detail about the difference in experience between the DK1 and CV1 since I've only used the DK1

I wanna get hyped

Talk dirty to me

You can't see anything in the DK1 really with the low res and LCD motion blur.

You can see things in the CV1 and it's amazing.

Nobody has played Technolust? Looks like the best launch title, Cyberpunk VR adventure. Shame it hasn't been showcased along with the other launch titles.

REALLY want to hear impressions of this one. Haven't heard anyone talk about it yet and it's just sitting there in my library waiting for a headset to play it with.

gdt

So I'm reading some difficulty with glasses? Fuck.

I have square rimmed glasses that aren't that large, but I guess I need to start worrying too.

Edit: and of course as a 31 I'm still waiting....

I think HTC's production and shipping infrastructure will really brow beat them too, Oculus is backed up to July and almost everyone that pre-ordered a Vive will get it within a two month period, that's better than Wii launch window availability lol (different scale I know but you get the point). Only two months for a decent userbase to be established is pretty good for a product selling to a niche like pc vr. Oculus is gonna feel like a trickle in comparison. But hey, this is first gen consumer vr, things will prob look a lot different a year from now once all this has died down and Touch has entered the scene.
There isn't enough information to verify anything about HTC having better production/shipping, because we don't know how many were sold or produced. Personally I would guess that the Vive sold far fewer units than the Rift, due to the higher price and the fact that Oculus is much better known, and that's why Vives are easier to come by. But I could be wrong, we just don't know.

artsi

There isn't enough information to verify anything about HTC having better production/shipping, because we don't know how many were sold or produced. Personally I would guess that the Vive sold far fewer units than the Rift, due to the higher price and the fact that Oculus is much better known, and that's why Vives are easier to come by. But I could be wrong, we just don't know.

Yup, as far as we know Rift might have just sold so much more.

But no hard evidence in either direction.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nobody has played Technolust? Looks like the best launch title, Cyberpunk VR adventure. Shame it hasn't been showcased along with the other launch titles.

REALLY want to hear impressions of this one. Haven't heard anyone talk about it yet and it's just sitting there in my library waiting for a headset to play it with.

Technolust is out? I can't find it on Steam nor Oculus store.

Probably why no one has covered it(?).

Enordash

I went and cancelled my Oculus order. After seeing that EVE Valkyrie isn't all I was hoping for upon launch and there being no touch controls, I think i'm going to wait for the first Vive orders to start shipping and see what the general thoughts are on that.

I think people are going to get a larger amount of enjoyment out of that setup as there just doesn't seem to be enough to really immerse yourself without a more unique controller setup.

I'm starting to feel that it would have been a lot better had Oculus held out for their controllers to launch with the headset unit.

Not that I fully condone it, but have you seen what the Rift is fetching on eBay o_O

Yup, as far as we know Rift might have just sold so much more.

But no hard evidence in either direction.

Even if the Rift sold 100k and Vive 50k for example, it's still about how many they can ship out in a given time period. You can pretty well guarantee HTC will be far more productive given their mobile hardware production capabilities. For whatever reason Oculus can't seem to get them out of the door.

Tain

I want someone to talk in detail about the difference in experience between the DK1 and CV1 since I've only used the DK1

I wanna get hyped

Talk dirty to me

DK1 wasn't seriously usable due to the low resolution and the lack of positional tracking.

DK2 was the line where, provided the software was good enough, VR made games straight-up better. Positional tracking makes everything feel good and the resolution was high enough to not be frustrating.

CV1 is the DK2 but better. Crisper, waaay more comfortable, much better positional tracking.

The DK1 is, without exaggeration, a bit of a joke compared to modern headsets.

This is true, as vocal as the Vive crowd can be sometimes that is no metric for its potential userbase.

It also doesn't help that GB played most of their games like idiots. Doing shit like standing up while driving, then getting sick, and immediately quitting games. Ignoring instructions being read to them so they can instead gawk at putting their head inside of a model in a way they're not supposed to, then having no idea how to play the game.

Watching that live stream was frustrating in the same way watching AVGN play a game he clearly has no idea how to play is annoying. "This game sucks because I dunno."

The part where they covered Radial G made my blood boil. "This has no weapons wtf??"

Yeah I'm surprised Oculus didn't go with at least a handful of streamers of varying popularity. Only going GB on day one was a bit of a non starter.

Its only out for KS backers...

They also had a post KS beta access tier, which is what I bought in for. Still trying to install and launch it in Home, keeps buggin out :/

Enordash

Yeah I'm surprised Oculus didn't go with at least a handful of streamers of varying popularity. Only going GB on day one was a bit of a non starter.

I like GB and everything, but I agree that they weren't the most enthusiastic bunch during that stream, and like people said, they were often more concerned about the stupid stuff you could do in a game rather than actually giving the game a proper look.

Oculus Studios should have commissioned a legit horror game for streamers to jump all over. Those things get tons of views and would serve as a great advertisement.

TheRed

I think I messed up by just buying Subnautica on Oculus store instead of steam when I might decide to sell my RIft...Not cool this VR game buying future.

WarpathDC

Well the 1-3 week shipping ETA email I got from Oculus last week I feel will be on the longer end of that window :/

It still amazes me it doesn't think my Pc meets the minimum specs (CPU). Last time I checked a i5 4590, the oculus recommended minimum CPU, at stock speeds is equivalent to an i5 3750k. Not to mention I have it OC'ed by 30%. I also am skeptical about nvidia's sli vr that was hyped bc I haven't seen much about it lately. Maybe I should sell my 970s soon and just go to a 980ti

Cyriades

It also doesn't help that GB played most of their games like idiots. Doing shit like standing up while driving, then getting sick, and immediately quitting games. Ignoring instructions being read to them so they can instead gawk at putting their head inside of a model in a way they're not supposed to, then having no idea how to play the game.

Watching that live stream was frustrating in the same way watching AVGN play a game he clearly has no idea how to play is annoying. "This game sucks because I dunno."

The part where they covered Radial G made my blood boil. "This has no weapons wtf??"

I agree.

Haluko

Wow, just tried Lucky's Tale with my DK2 and it's freaking amazing. Mario 64 VR. Couldn't stop smiling. And it's free! Downloading Elite now.

Anyone know how to get rid of the message "dk2 unsupported and your pc doesn't meet..."? really annoying.

I still think elite is the most impressive VR game I played. It really does a great job of making you feel like you are one a ship. When you get in into some of the bigger ships later it's pretty wild, docking at station still makes say holy shit after the 1000th time.

TheRed

Well the 1-3 week shipping ETA email I got from Oculus last week I feel will be on the longer end of that window :/

It still amazes me it doesn't think my Pc meets the minimum specs (CPU). Last time I checked a i5 4590, the oculus recommended minimum CPU, at stock speeds is equivalent to an i5 3750k. Not to mention I have it OC'ed by 30%. I also am skeptical about nvidia's sli vr that was hyped bc I haven't seen much about it lately. Maybe I should sell my 970s soon and just go to a 980ti

A 970 will definitely have to lower some settings in VR to run perfect in some games but for me I'm fine with that. I'd say the SteamVR test is better since it actually runs a benchmark rather than kinda guessing like the Oculus test.

I still think elite is the most impressive VR game I played. It really does a great job of making you feel like you are one a ship. When you get in into some of the bigger ships later it's pretty wild, docking at station still makes say holy shit after the 1000th time.

You've revitalized my excitement. With the lukewarm launch and general negativity, my enthusiasm for the whole thing has been drained.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I quite enjoyed their coverage. I especially thought it was incredible that they went on for 10 and a half hours. Considering how many games they covered during the livestream, I am not at all surprised they got out on some of them as quickly as they could. I also believe they will do individual coverage on the notable titles from the stream in the form of a Quick Look. Strange thing to get upset over.

I bought Elite just because I had a DK2 preordered, and it's still the best experience I've had with VR. Since I sold my DK2 the HOTAS setup I bought has just been collecting dust in my closet, but I'm pretty hyped to break it out again in (hopefully) a few weeks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It was Oculus decision to not give some Rifts to more streamers for some time before release and instead to have an NDA in place up until the launch. I think GB stream was so watched because of the whole secrecy thing.

Also I think you're underestimating the audience if you think the silliness of GB is what generated the lukewarm reaction to a lot of the games.

TheRed

I thought I would have the RIft to hold me over until Dark Souls 3 comes out, now I'm not so sure which is pretty sad. Now I'm here just wishing I had either.

FINALLY got to install some other things so fingers crossed things go smoothly for me now in Home. Watched Henry and thought it was super charming, good animation goes a long ways towards upping immersion in VR. Kinda disappointed it wasn't like early impressions where Henry would look at you while doing things around his home, iirc the scale was smaller too in the early builds. Still, a cute short that drives home how much cinematic content can benefit from the medium. More impressions to follow of what I can get working...

So I'm reading some difficulty with glasses? Fuck.

I have square rimmed glasses that aren't that large, but I guess I need to start worrying too.

Edit: and of course as a 31 I'm still waiting....

Oculus is coming out with a facial interface (aka, the foam which sits on your face) which is meant for glasses. For whatever reason it doesn't come with it and will likely be available soon. That will make using glasses much better most likely.

TheRed

Palmer Luckey said they would start shipping pre-orders later in the week, possibly tomorrow
Okay cool, that's good to know if true. Pretty dumb of them to lead expectations to the 28th even if technically they did ship some on that day and before.

Enordash

Alright, completely revised "launch day" lineup for me:

• Lucky's Tale
  • Eve:Valkyrie
  • Chronos
  • Esper 2
Has anyone tried watching a full movie in the CV1 yet? Hell, has anyone done it in DK2? I'm talking a regular movie on a big virtual screen.

But no Krejlooc, don't you understand? You have to accept their opinion.

Nevermind that they're ignoring everything and anything just to please their audience.

They're journalists.

xD

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Has anyone tried watching a full movie in the CV1 yet? Hell, has anyone done it in DK2? I'm talking a regular movie on a big virtual screen.

I have in Rift Max Theater with DK2. Here is the thing... RiftMax was a social thing where your friends (or anyone really) could come in and watch what you were streaming. The social aspect of this made the experience and overcame the resolution issue.

With the DK2 it was doable but most people would be bothered by the resolution.

Sky Chief

HTC are showing Facebook/Oculus how it's done! Every step of the way they've managed to get Vive's into the hands of the people that matter, and give it amazing coverage. Oculus has and will lose sales over this, and Vive's momentum will be in full force very shortly, to drive it home further.

I have repeatedly said that things at Oculus changed a lot when they got bought by Facebook and I see the ramp up to the launch as a symptom of that. Why all the NDAs and vague PR? It was totally unnecessary and corporate and gave many people the impression that they have things to hide and now it's biting them in the ass with FOV discussion (which is totally crazy) etc... It's just really hard to root for Oculus since they were bought and now I think many VR enthusiasts view them as being a bit shady while Valve and HTC are the "good guys" pushing open VR and not forcing legal NDA bullshit.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I have repeatedly said that things at Oculus changed a lot when they got bought by Facebook and I see the ramp up to the launch as a symptom of that. Why all the NDAs and vague PR? It was totally unnecessary and corporate and gave many people the impression that they have things to hide and now it's biting them in the ass with FOV discussion etc... It's just really hard to root for Oculus since they were bought and now I think many VR enthusiasts view them as being a bit shady while Valve and HTC are the "good guys" pushing open VR and not forcing legal NDA bullshit.

It wasn't that long ago that HTC pulled the same stuff (lack of information/jerking-around customers) with their announced "Soft launch" in December. People are fickle. In the end it isn't going to matter.

None of this makes any sense.

You probably haven't followed the other thread were trying to critizice Giant Bomb's stream resulted in some users saying that we cannot complain since they're just giving their opinion.

Even though they're using something in the wrong way. I was making fun of that (maybe failing to do so, you tell me xD).

jay_clark

Neo Member
So I'm assuming that my rift will be shipping soon. Is it possible for me to view the store and start buying/downloading games? I would hate to get my rift and then wait for the games to download. I want to be as prepared as possible.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You probably haven't followed the other thread were trying to critizice Giant Bomb's stream resulted in some users saying that we cannot complain since they're just giving their opinion.

Even though they're using something in the wrong way. I was making fun of that (maybe failing to do so, you tell me xD).

I guess I don't know the specifics of what you are referring to but I'm at a loss at what journalism has to do with a launch day livestream.

I think it's fair to not be entirely satisfied with how they showed the OR. It's a new medium, there will be mistakes. I'm on the side that I think they did a great job of showing off the hardware (and limitations). I also think they will do better coverage of some of the games at a later time, as they have done with their previous launch day streams. In those videos, I believe they will address some of the criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom