• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
In the first section of the game, at the big yellow elevator that slides away from the screen- if I press triangle on its control panel the game crashes to blue error screen every time!

Ugh I just started the damn game too

The Lamp

I gotta respect your opinion, and this next bit isn't about you, I get annoyed however when there's a retail title for sale digitally and it's the same price as the retail version IE £49.99 + yet it only has 5hrs of gameplay.

We're confident first timers will be 8hrs + on this, or totally brand new people 15hrs +

It seems like a strange economy really.

As to why no PS+ Discount, and this is my PERSONAL opinion, I guess it's a perception thing, we now live in a society where people expect to pay as little as possible for something, E.G. Look at Steam, when there isn't a sale on then sales figures are quite low, because people KNOW there's going to be a sale so hold out.

We spent 30 months making NnT and you know $2m+ too, we're an indie we don't have millions and millions in the bank, we don't have an amazingly wealthy benefactor hiding away somewhere, we spent the revenue from previous titles on the new title, so we need to make that money back to be able to make the NEXT game or we're out of work.

So by giving a discount, and having people expect that, it feels like at times that they under value our work.

As I said, this is my personal opinion on this sort of stuff, would be interested in hearing a good counter if you have one.

Well let me tell you this is my first time playing this game and it so far is well worth the money, bugs and all. It's just such a fun gameplay design. I love Oddworld. Thanks for making this.

I just can't stop playing this game, is just amazing. It's a shame that I never played the ps1 version, but I'm glad that I'm doing it now.

Is Abe's exoddus and Munch Oddysee this good? What games should I play in the series?

So I went back rescued everybody and the leaderboard is only showing 230. I got the trophy for collecting all of them though. If I rescued everybody does that mean that I used all the secret entrances to RuptureFarms? Cause I didn't get that trophy

Edit: I'm number 6 in the boardroom though!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I just can't stop playing this game, is just amazing. It's a shame that I never played the ps1 version, but I'm glad that I'm doing it now.

Is Abe's exoddus and Munch Oddysee this good? What games should I play in the series?

Munch is the weakest of the bunch, but it's still good if you're enjoying the universe. That's a big draw of the series for me, so I really liked it. Stranger's Wrath is probably my favorite in the series. The style, story, and art are amazing. JAW also did a fantastic job with the Vita port, if you'd like to play it on the toilet. Puts most other Vita ports to shame, which is why I'm very optimistic for New 'N' Tasty on the Vita (and Munch's Oddysee, whenever it may come).

You can get all of them for $10 on Steam, although I'd hold off on Exoddus until we find out if it's getting the Tasty treatment.

Munch is the weakest of the bunch, but it's still good if you're enjoying the universe. That's a big draw of the series for me, so I really liked it. Stranger's Wrath is probably my favorite in the series. The style, story, and art are amazing. JAW also did a fantastic job with the Vita port, if you'd like to play it on the toilet. Puts most other Vita ports to shame, which is why I'm very optimistic for New 'N' Tasty on the Vita (and Munch's Oddysee, whenever it may come).

You can get all of them for $10 on Steam, although I'd hold off on Exoddus until we find out if it's getting the Tasty treatment.
I think I have Stranger's Wrath on my Vita, so I'll play it when I finish New'n'Tasty. Thanks for the reply!:)

Edit: Welp, I actually don't have it but is just $15 on the psn store so I'll get it as soon as I finish Tasty. Might also grab Exoddus aswell since is $6 on the store. Hopefully it looks good on the vita. If they remake it I would just buy it again.

Both. They're both good. Exoddus has more refined and better controls though.

I gave Exoddus a try and I found it really silly and lacking the heart and soul that Oddysee has. Maybe it was just me but I didn't really care for it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I think I have Stranger's Wrath on my Vita, so I'll play it when I finish New'n'Tasty. Thanks for the reply!:)

Edit: Welp, I actually don't have it but is just $15 on the psn store so I'll get it as soon as I finish Tasty. Might also grab Exoddus aswell since is $6 on the store. Hopefully it looks good on the vita. If they remake it I would just buy it again.

Definitely worth it. Here's a DF framerate test if you're sensitive to that stuff. It spends most of it's time at 30 and above, with occasional drops. I'm fairly sensitive to drops (I can't play BL2 and AC: Liberation), and I thought it was a locked 30 until I saw the framerate test. And here's a comparison to the PS3 version.

I'd consider it a must-own for anyone with a Vita.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Personally I like "remake" I don't like "HD remake" or "HD anything" for that matter, as it's NOT.

All games on consoles today with HDMI cables *ARE* by definition "HD" so it's a moot point...

A good 30% of last-gen games were not HD by definition. A few current-gen games also aren't HD. (Mercenary Kings, Towerfall, 1,001 Spikes, etc.)
Actually if you really want to get strict about it then 720p only counts if it's native 60fps, so there were very few HD games last gen.

lord pie

So... I bought this game tonight. Risky, but the reviews I saw were very favorable.
The first few levels are nice, I was having a good time. Things went downhill when I got to the blue night time 'avoid the bombs' level (this screenshot by Chabbles is from the level). It is incredibly frustrating, it feels cheap. It doesn't help that the controls are just so... sloppy?

But I can deal with frustrating, provided it isn't the norm.
What I can't stand are trivial game breaking bugs.

There are a few (I presume) secret levels in that blue themed level . One of them starts with two sleeping dogs. It's pretty obvious what you have to do; turn on an electrofied fence, then go wake the dogs so they run into the fence.

Except they wouldn't wake up. Throw rocks at them, whistle, etc. Really frustrating. Decided to give up. So I used the portal and jumped back to the the main level.
I then decided to try again, thinking it might have been a bug.
I go back into the level and the electric fence is still active blocking the path to the exit. What's more, the dogs are awake. They instantly kill me when I spawn. Over and over and over again. Absolutely nothing I can do.

Instant death checkpoint. In 2014.

Great.
Sorry, I really can't be motivated to restart the chapter. $30...

As much as i'm loving this game the frequent bugs are pretty disappointing... 2 of the first 3 puzzles in the scrabania flame door area just bugged out for me. I've encountered multiple bugs with the pipes and also the panels you press to learn passwords and bell chimes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
As much as i'm loving this game the frequent bugs are pretty disappointing... 2 of the first 3 puzzles in the scrabania flame door area just bugged out for me. I've encountered multiple bugs with the pipes and also the panels you press to learn passwords and bell chimes.

Inconsistency rears its head, too.
For example, after being conditioned to just walk up and give passwords to guards they hit you with ones you need to say hello to first. Cue fruitless password communication and possibly a trip to Youtube or Gamefaqs.

nofi

In the first section of the game, at the big yellow elevator that slides away from the screen- if I press triangle on its control panel the game crashes to blue error screen every time!

Ugh I just started the damn game too

Hi.

That happens if you have Mudokons following you from earlier in the level, even if they're offscreen (and presumably from the bit before the big leap). You can either tell them to wait, or guide them back past the bomb and into the portal.

It's fixed internally (along with a similar crash bug re: Scrabs fighting, one for leaderboards and another for save profiles, plus a host of smaller issues) and a patch will be pushed ASAP.

Hopefully Stew will be along shortly to chat more about this.

Myansie

Definitely worth it. Here's a DF framerate test if you're sensitive to that stuff. It spends most of it's time at 30 and above, with occasional drops. I'm fairly sensitive to drops (I can't play BL2 and AC: Liberation), and I thought it was a locked 30 until I saw the framerate test. And here's a comparison to the PS3 version.

I'd consider it a must-own for anyone with a Vita.

I got this for PS3 and it had a 3d mode. Looked awful due to the frame rate dropping to 30fps, but it's got me wondering about Abe. These side scrollers are particularly amazing in 3d. Read up on Trine 2, it looked phenomenal. Playing Abe I can see it would get a similarly impressive effect.

I bought the PS4 version but i cant find the vita version in the store?
Is the vita-relase planned for a later date ? can´t find any info.

ZeroX03

Banned

It says right in the first post that Vita is coming at a later, unannounced date.

It will be added to your account automatically after it's released, as it is cross buy.

So I'm starting to get back into my groove from way back in the day when I originally played it, but the input lag with Abe's movements are really making it harder than it should be. And it's not my TV or anything because the PSone classic on my PS3 works just fine.

Danlord

A good 30% of last-gen games were not HD by definition. A few current-gen games also aren't HD. (Mercenary Kings, Towerfall, 1,001 Spikes, etc.)
Actually if you really want to get strict about it then 720p only counts if it's native 60fps, so there were very few HD games last gen.

Uhhhhhhhhhh.

You're deliberately being obtuse with your definition of HD and pulling percentages out of your arse makes your argument falter even more. As for Towerfall/Mercenary Kings are you pointing these out as not HD simply because they're using pixel-art as an aesthetic design? It's clear you're severely mis-informed, these games are still rendering in HD resolution, regardless of art-assets used within the game.

Also. Resolution ≠ Frame-rate. That last sentence of yours is just complete crap, please don't post about this stuff when it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Vita and PS3 versions aren't released yet, and they currently have no official date to when they will release but rest assured when they do, they'll appear in your Download List as you have bought the PS4 version. Also just incase you didn't know, when Alf's DLC pack launches you'll automatically have it too, because you bought the game launch time.

Stuart444

I'm now at Sacrabania and I haven't come across many secret areas or Mudokons to save, is there many in these lands (Sacrabania or the other areas nearby like Mosiac or Para-whatever it's called again)?

If so, I'm wondering if I can make up for it later on so I still get the good ending. If not, I'll just have to replay the levels I guess lol.

This is going to be a long one, so bear with me.

Decided to buy Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty last night since I adored the original. It's pretty weird trying to do all the movement on analog sticks rather than a d-pad, feels less precise. Trying to get to grips with that while doing the secret section in the first section almost made me give up but I got to grips with it in the end and before I knew it I'd saved all 70 Mudokens in the first level. This could be the game I platinum.

Coming at it as a long time fan of Abe's Oddysee however, there were things that irked me about it. Something about the way the new game is rendered gives everything these puffy soft edges; I suppose it's the 3D way they've done it, rather than strictly two dimensional platforming. I'm not sure why they decided to go that route; to me it doesn't offer any particular advantages beyond making it easier to see entrances to secret areas hidden behind objects in the foreground.

A relatively vital change is the way the levels actually work; in Abe's Oddysee, the camera didn't track you, each screen had the possibility of exiting left, right up or down. If you ran all the way to the right of a screen you'd start at the very left of the next one. Why that's important is that certain objects or enemies would affect a screen and that screen only. A chant suppressor would zap you if you chanted anywhere on that screen, similarly a slig would shoot you on sight. Because the camera tracks you in New 'n' Tasty, they've had to give these these things limited range, which takes some learning before you figure out how far away you have to be from a chant suppressor you can see before it won't affect you, or how far from a slig before it sees and shoots you. While the old model was rigid and a little archaic, the rules were clear.

Other things are small but sort of annoying. The Mudokens never shut up. If there's three or more in a room they just cycle the same lines endlessly. Sighing and saying "work, work, work!" or "some day someone's going to follow me" gets old fast when you're trying to figure out a puzzle with meat grinders, electric fences and sequentially opening trap doors so you can save them.

Some of the charm has been lost in the update as well. They've added a kind of ragdoll physic for when you or other Mudokens die. So if a Slig shoots a Mudoken, he falls down and that's it. In the old days, recently killed Mudokens and Sligs would sizzle and shrink into nothing. They've added blinking lights to everything including meat grinders and trap doors, so now all these things look like accessories on a pinball table rather than utilitarian devices; it's a small complaint but it affects the atmosphere. And atmosphere was very important to the original. It kind of spoils it when you're escaping Rupture Farms at night, a dark and tense level, and the Sligs wander around muttering "gonna get payed, gonna get payed" over and over.

I know I'm whining. I appreciate some of the changes: having an "all of you!" command especially saves a lot of to-ing and fro-ing as you had to ferry individual Mudokens in the original. Quick saving streamlines things too. I think I would have been happy enough with a straight HD remake of the game as opposed to a reboot which changes the game's foundations in a few ways.

I wonder if it's just nostalgia talking; it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on Oddysee and Exodus who never played them until recently; I think the classics are on both Steam and PSN. I personally found the games most playable with a keyboard but there you are.

i haven't played exoddus since it came out originally (think i still have it lying around somehwere), but i remember actually liking that one better than this game. i really hope it hits the goals needed to warrant an exoddus new 'n' tasty treatment

psychotron

This is going to be a long one, so bear with me.

Decided to buy Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty last night since I adored the original. It's pretty weird trying to do all the movement on analog sticks rather than a d-pad, feels less precise. Trying to get to grips with that while doing the secret section in the first section almost made me give up but I got to grips with it in the end and before I knew it I'd saved all 70 Mudokens in the first level. This could be the game I platinum.

Coming at it as a long time fan of Abe's Oddysee however, there were things that irked me about it. Something about the way the new game is rendered gives everything these puffy soft edges; I suppose it's the 3D way they've done it, rather than strictly two dimensional platforming. I'm not sure why they decided to go that route; to me it doesn't offer any particular advantages beyond making it easier to see entrances to secret areas hidden behind objects in the foreground.

A relatively vital change is the way the levels actually work; in Abe's Oddysee, the camera didn't track you, each screen had the possibility of exiting left, right up or down. If you ran all the way to the right of a screen you'd start at the very left of the next one. Why that's important is that certain objects or enemies would affect a screen and that screen only. A chant suppressor would zap you if you chanted anywhere on that screen, similarly a slig would shoot you on sight. Because the camera tracks you in New 'n' Tasty, they've had to give these these things limited range, which takes some learning before you figure out how far away you have to be from a chant suppressor you can see before it won't affect you, or how far from a slig before it sees and shoots you. While the old model was rigid and a little archaic, the rules were clear.

Other things are small but sort of annoying. The Mudokens never shut up. If there's three or more in a room they just cycle the same lines endlessly. Sighing and saying "work, work, work!" or "some day someone's going to follow me" gets old fast when you're trying to figure out a puzzle with meat grinders, electric fences and sequentially opening trap doors so you can save them.

Some of the charm has been lost in the update as well. They've added a kind of ragdoll physic for when you or other Mudokens die. So if a Slig shoots a Mudoken, he falls down and that's it. In the old days, recently killed Mudokens and Sligs would sizzle and shrink into nothing. They've added blinking lights to everything including meat grinders and trap doors, so now all these things look like accessories on a pinball table rather than utilitarian devices; it's a small complaint but it affects the atmosphere. And atmosphere was very important to the original. It kind of spoils it when you're escaping Rupture Farms at night, a dark and tense level, and the Sligs wander around muttering "gonna get payed, gonna get payed" over and over.

I know I'm whining. I appreciate some of the changes: having an "all of you!" command especially saves a lot of to-ing and fro-ing as you had to ferry individual Mudokens in the original. Quick saving streamlines things too. I think I would have been happy enough with a straight HD remake of the game as opposed to a reboot which changes the game's foundations in a few ways.

I wonder if it's just nostalgia talking; it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on Oddysee and Exodus who never played them until recently; I think the classics are on both Steam and PSN. I personally found the games most playable with a keyboard but there you are.

The chant suppressors have lights on them that turn off when you're not in range of being zapped. Very easy to tell where you need to be. The rest of your complaints seem to be personal preference. I agree with the analogue sticks taking some getting used to, as I still send Abe running right into a meat grinder sometimes....but that's part of the challenge.

PaulloDEC

I've been playing this all afternoon today and things were going great. I'd gotten quite a ways through
Paramonia
, almost to
the wooden tower

Then Elum fell through one of the elevators. Seems as if he doesn't respawn along with Abe, unfortunately. Are there multiple sub-chapters within the chapter select system? I'm afraid to try it myself in case there isn't and I suddenly overwrite a ton of progress (albeit progress that I may have to give up on anyway).

Help!

So... I bought this game tonight. Risky, but the reviews I saw were very favorable.
The first few levels are nice, I was having a good time. Things went downhill when I got to the blue night time 'avoid the bombs' level (this screenshot by Chabbles is from the level). It is incredibly frustrating, it feels cheap. It doesn't help that the controls are just so... sloppy?

There are a few (I presume) secret levels in that blue themed level . One of them starts with two sleeping dogs. It's pretty obvious what you have to do; turn on an electrofied fence, then go wake the dogs so they run into the fence.

Except they wouldn't wake up. Throw rocks at them, whistle, etc. Really frustrating. Decided to give up. So I used the portal and jumped back to the the main level.
I go back into the level and the electric fence is still active blocking the path to the exit. What's more, the dogs are awake. They instantly kill me when I spawn. Over and over and over again. Absolutely nothing I can do.

Great.

exact same thing happened to me :(

reminder

Damn, only 21 € in Europe ?

I was absolutely expecting the usual $ = € sheningans.....but thats fantastic !

It was first announced at 24,99€ for europe, but they changed the price to 20,99€ prior to the launch. Oddworld Inhabitants and Just Add Water are awesome.

exact same thing happened to me :(

Me too! I was lucky enough to be able to go back to a quiksave but it's dodgy.

I got to Zulag 4 last night and the game kept crashing to the PS4 dashboard so I went to bed. Other than a few weird glitches and the atmosphere in the factory being slightly less oppressive than the original I have loved my time with the game. Needs another patch though for sure.

Roll on Exoddus, I played that one first as a kid and it's always been my favourite of the two.

I'm now at Sacrabania and I haven't come across many secret areas or Mudokons to save, is there many in these lands (Sacrabania or the other areas nearby like Mosiac or Para-whatever it's called again)?

If so, I'm wondering if I can make up for it later on so I still get the good ending. If not, I'll just have to replay the levels I guess lol.

I only found one secret area throughout all of paramonia and scrabania but I'm missing quite a few mudokons right near the end of the game. I still have enough for the good ending I think but there must be lots of secrets I missed.

I've been playing this all afternoon today and things were going great. I'd gotten quite a ways through
Paramonia
, almost to
the wooden tower

Then Elum fell through one of the elevators. Seems as if he doesn't respawn along with Abe, unfortunately. Are there multiple sub-chapters within the chapter select system? I'm afraid to try it myself in case there isn't and I suddenly overwrite a ton of progress (albeit progress that I may have to give up on anyway).

Help!

Hi, sorry about this one...

You will have to restart chapter to get past just now, however the issue will be fixed in the next patch which we're working on wrapping up tomorrow.

Loomba

Hey Stewart, can you guys change the title of the game in the "Whats New" section for the US version... It's "ONNT PS4 SCEA" at the moment.

However the EU version is "Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty" which is much better.

It's ok if it's now out of your hands (love the game!)

Don't mean to pester but have do you have an update on this? I asked just before you left yesterday (bad timing haha)

PaulloDEC

You will have to restart chapter to get past just now, however the issue will be fixed in the next patch which we're working on wrapping up tomorrow.

Ah, dangit. If I wait for the patch, will my current progress be salvageable? Or will I have to restart the chapter in either case?

The chant suppressors have lights on them that turn off when you're not in range of being zapped. Very easy to tell where you need to be. The rest of your complaints seem to be personal preference. I agree with the analogue sticks taking some getting used to, as I still send Abe running right into a meat grinder sometimes....but that's part of the challenge.

I figured out the chant suppressors towards the end of my session last night but thanks.

Most of my complaints are subjective yeah...I think I approached the game with my nostalgia goggles firmly attached. I hope I didn't make it sound too much like I wasn't enjoying the game: the fundamental hook of the game is still there. I hope Exodus get's similar treatment down the line. Both games are classics but for me Exodus had more challenging situations and funny mechanics. Giving commands to blind Mudokens near drills was always nerve-wracking. Posessing your farts and flying them through air vents and detonating them never got old either.

It's great that such an old game is recapturing an audience though.

Ah, dangit. If I wait for the patch, will my current progress be salvageable? Or will I have to restart the chapter in either case?

I can't say 100%, but I can't think of a reason why your progress would be an issue... Either way, you can restart the Chapter, I think you're like 10 minutes into it so not a major distance into it.

Stewart

Please excuse my rant ealrier in the thread.

I have a question:

Is there any chance of an alternate control scheme which uses the d-pad for movement?

Great.

Cheers for bringing these to our attention, we knew about one of them and it HAS already been addressed, we're working on a list of say 2-3 more issues we want resolved before getting the update into Sony QA.

More as soon as we have it.

Gekidami

Banned
So i 'm at this point in Scrabania:
BtT9xUMIMAAa51a.jpg:large

I cant seem to get by but i assume its because i forgot to get the chant thing that lets you destroy bombs from the second password Mudokon... Problem is i cant go back to get it, the rope elevator thing isnt on the right floor and theres no lever to call it.

BtUA33WIYAAdino.jpg:large

...So unless i'm mistaken and i'm meant to get around this some other way (though i really dont see how), it would appear i'm stuck and have no choice but to restart the whole chapter.

Kind of a serious oversight to not let us go back...

My wife told me she had a dream about this game last night, after watching me play. She said she was in the game world and running around being chased by creatures (I think they must have been paramites but she didn't know the name) and jumping from platform to platform. This is the first video game related dream I think she's ever had!

I cant seem to get by but i assume its because i forgot to get the chant thing that lets you destroy bombs from the second password Mudokon... Problem is i cant go back to get it, the rope elevator thing isnt on the right floor and theres no lever to call it.

...So unless i'm mistaken and i'm meant to get around this some other way (though i really dont see how), it would appear i'm stuck and have no choice but to restart the whole chapter.

Ummmm, just roll under the mines in the first picture sir :)

So roll under the mines, take the lift up, get a rock to blow up the mines around the password stone, then return to the native at the top of the lift...

Stew

Stuart444

Just completed the game. First off, quick save bug:

I was right before the end of the game. 3 bombs, timer with 1 minute on the clock and several mudokons to save. Quick save at the first one, do the usual trick of quick load until I get the first bomb. YAY!

Go to the next bomb, quick save... FREEZE.

Proceed to close and open the game and do it several more times, Once it had a severe FPS drop BEFORE I quick saved.

In the end, I gave up and just kept using my last quick save (before the first bomb) and tried to get all 3 bombs off in the one run. I did it eventually though (which I feel proud about) :D

Also the credits had a FPS dip/freeze

Anyway besides that, I LOVED the game, it was awesome and I am hoping for Exoddus now. Never completed the original so I'm happy I completed this. Not with all Mudokons but I'll get them.

I saved over half of them (thanks to the trophy pop up, I know that lol) and had zero casualties. everytime one died, I reloaded a quick save or died if I didn't have one and went back to the checkpoint.

Next up, save all Mudokons I guess? and get the kill 99 trophy/bad ending.

But yeah, absolutely loved it. :D

edit: leaderboard says someone has a best overall time of 26 minutes. Only 93 Mudokons though but still, I wouldn't think it was possible to complete it in that time. Para/Scrab combined is longer than that I'd think.

This part is tricky, you're meant to roll under the mines but the sligs keep shooting you right?
If you chant you'll get zapped but it should be enough to panic the sligs for long enough to roll by.

Top Bottom